tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 9
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 10:52:50 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Ha! Eighteen, but I got it.

The toughest courses I have ever played are all of the courses that have had greens.

LOL. Cow pastures are very forgiving the same for sheep meadows. The extra 2 strokes were put on your Visa.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 11:59:30 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

i am so jealous of your frequent golf. I get to play at most once a week and am still terrible. I think if I ever get the opportunity to play three days a week I will take it more serious and practice a little. Today my practice is one practice swing per round, on the first tee and then I never take another one. i haven't been to the range in over 5 years.

If you move to the Villages, they have free golf. Or at least they did when I was visiting there. They had a couple dozen Executive courses so you can mix and match the front and back nines.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 12:14:31 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If you move to the Villages, they have free golf. Or at least they did when I was visiting there. They had a couple dozen Executive courses so you can mix and match the front and back nines.

One of the big reasons we are considering The Villages is the golf! Keeps growing, but I think there are 45 free 9 hole courses, and 15 ‘championship’ courses which are 27 holes and of course you play two of the three nines each time. There is a fee for ‘championship golf’ I think between $20 and $45 depending on season. I believe I will also have to pay a $600 yearly fee to get ‘preferred’ tee times. But still a great deal.

I never practice. Either play or stay home. Three warm up swings. Plus a few putts to get general feel for speed of the greens.

Birdied first hole today. Don’t feel like discussing the subsequent 17 holes…..
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 12:53:45 PM permalink

My wife retired last Friday but I don't think she wants to live in the Villages as she is only 45. She said that is where old people go to die. I on the other hand am an old person so I don't have a problem with it. We are moving to the Gulf side of the state near the Ft Myers area.
Order from chaos
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 2:00:58 PM permalink
It's ten years or more since I was there, but there were an awful lot of young retirees. I think they waive the age requirement for cops and military. I witnessed an animated discussion between a group that wanted to listen to Bob Marley and Jimmy buffet while the other wanted Guy Lombardo and the like.
tuttigym
tuttigym
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 2:03:03 PM permalink
I lived in FL for 20+ years - Dade County (Miami area) then Broward County (Lauderdale and Tamarac). I have played Doral -"Blue Monster" and many other courses. Most of them are flat with sand and water, but none are really tough. Doral is wide open and long, but for me, nothing special. I hated the 10 months of "summer." I do hope you enjoy The Villages. BTW Doral Gold course is really difficult. It is long, narrow, and water comes into play on 13 of the 18 holes. The pros won't play it because they can't score well.

p.s. Watch out for gators.

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 2:05:48 PM permalink

I witnessed an animated discussion between a group that wanted to listen to Bob Marley and Jimmy buffet while the other wanted Guy Lombardo and the like.

Didn't he coach the Packers?? Maybe not.

tuttigym
Mission146
Mission146 
  • Threads: 132
August 3rd, 2021 at 3:04:54 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Didn't he coach the Packers?? Maybe not.

tuttigym

Please tell me that was a joke before my heart explodes.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 71
Mission146
August 3rd, 2021 at 3:57:25 PM permalink
I've been a member at a local course since 2017.

I've played twice a week in the summer due to COVID. I've been with my workplace for 21 years and that gets me 5 weeks worth of vacation. Since COVID hit, there hasn't been much to do so I take Fridays off and then golf Friday and Saturdays. In a normal year, I'd only golf on Saturdays during the golf season.

Our Member's scramble this year was a Vegas Scramble. Everyone hits a tee shot and then you roll a die. 1 through 4 you use that golfer's drive. 5 or 6 you get to choose.

On the 5th hole, our best player uncorks a beautiful 325 yard draw. Perfect shot for the first par-5 on our front nine. He's number "4" and so we've got a 50% chance to be able to use his drive. We roll a "2" and end up with one of the short drives.

My number was "3" and on the 10th everyone hits a nice playable tee shot and I put my on a hill beside a tree. The joke for the rest of the back nine was, "...just don't roll a 3".

We ended up tied for 3rd with three other teams at 6 under.

Our club championship is this weekend so I'll have to see how things go.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Mission146helpmespock
August 3rd, 2021 at 4:16:46 PM permalink
Helpmespock…. Once border open let’s play Hickory Stick (minutes from Lewiston-Queenston bridge) or Legends (on your side). I’m only free on days that end in the letter ‘y’…

• Jump to: