Thread Rating:

Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
December 31st, 2020 at 8:31:06 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

OK. I'm 'management' here and I'm a Brit. AIUI, that puts me in a reasonable position to determine if the term 'British covid' is offensive.

I do see it as offensive and I'll explain why. That will require a brief mention of politics, for which I apologise.
Certain Americans have used the term China Virus alongside very clear 'Blaming' of the Chinese nature for the virus. Certainly far from crediting the Chinese for identifying or gene sequencing the threat. Those same Americans were demonising China, and by extension anyone of Chinese ethnicity. By any stretch of the imagination, that was hostile and offensive.
Now, we Brits have identified a new strain, mostly because we needed to, when we saw it's characteristics here. It's a similar situation to Denmark identifying a strain in Danish mink farms. To call that the Danish Covid would demonise the Danish, but no-one seemed to see any fun or political capital in that.

Imagine for a moment that one day, you came home from the office and found you had headlice. Now obviously, you were not causative of the infestation of your place of work, but if you went to the office next day and advised your colleagues that they might need to use an anti-lice shampoo, would you be grateful if you were to be immortalised with the expression 'Duffman's nits'? That would not be giving you credit, but would be deriding you. You would rightly be offended every-time you heard that term.

I chose not to suspend or act on the OP for using the term British Covid even though I saw it as offensive. It was insensitive and possibly ignorant, but the rules here do not preclude insensitivity or ignorance or maybe unintended racism. That another moderator suspended for the racist, ignorant or insensitive 'China Virus' barb is his prerogative and I'm guessing it related to the alignment of that comment with the racism of a certain high profile celebrity.

Incidentally, I would not use the term 'Rednecks' because I understand that may be offensive to Southern Americans. Similarly I would tend not describe my American associates as Yanks, because that is mildly perjorative in the wrong context. But yes. There might well have been an attempt to stir up racist attacks on Brit's by ignorant Americans, just as there was racist hostility to Chinese or even Chinese looking persons after similar incitement.

Sorry, but the Chinese gov needs to be held accountable for what they've done.
They are responsible for the Chinese Virus/Wu Flu and I'd like to see more sanctions on them for it.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 45
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
December 31st, 2020 at 9:23:58 AM permalink
So is it now against the rules to say Lou Gehrigís disease ?
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 251
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
December 31st, 2020 at 9:42:53 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

So is it now against the rules to say Lou Gehrigís disease ?

It was actually a name of honor. A memorial to a great baseball player who died from an obscure disease.

I.e. no one was saying "that Lou Gehrig gave us a terrible disease. What a nasty man,"
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
December 31st, 2020 at 10:51:01 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Sorry, but the Chinese gov needs to be held accountable for what they've done.
They are responsible for the Chinese Virus/Wu Flu and I'd like to see more sanctions on them for it.

I see no problem with labeling the specific entity with the blame. But China Virus is no more blaming the the Chinese government than calling something the USA virus or Yankee virus.

Negative nicknames for enemies is as old as history. But the general ones always end up being harmful to people who had nothing to do with the original offense. And there's no reason for them as the origins of the disease, if known, are in the data about the disease.

Some American Japanese who had no sympathies with Imperial Japan suffered from negative stereotypes meant for enemies. Tell me how often these general negative associations end up being targeted only at the guilty, and I will change my mind.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 33
January 1st, 2021 at 1:26:17 PM permalink
As some of you know I am based on the Southern coast of England, so "British".

When trying to determine whether the R-number is getting worse, I look at the number of deaths rather than [detected] cases. The latter is an earlier indicator of a change, so more useful, but also you need to factor in there are now more tests. Nevertheless both numbers have been rising considerably. The UK news (9pm) also reports the US numbers have been rising.

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland each have their own rules. Where I live we are now in the highest "Tier 4" so essentially in lockdown.

On the source of the variant, there is a useful page which gives some background:
Quote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55388846

...It was first detected in September. In November around a quarter of cases in London were the new variant. This reached nearly two-thirds of cases in mid-December. ... It is thought the variant either emerged in a patient in the UK or has been imported from a country with a lower ability to monitor coronavirus mutations.

The variant can be found across the UK, except Northern Ireland, but it is heavily concentrated in London, the South East and eastern England. Cases elsewhere in the country do not seem to have taken off.

Here are the UK numbers for the last three months, note there are spikes as fewer are reported at weekends:
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 41
January 1st, 2021 at 2:00:12 PM permalink
If you get 5 times as many deaths compounded a week because this new strain spreads faster, maybe close public restrooms too.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
January 1st, 2021 at 6:52:51 PM permalink
Yeah it seems like it might be like 1775 again except for not really like 1775 again and you canít just dump crates of a virus into the harbor and Paul Revere is long gone he didnít ride through the night to warn us instead we might have had a Foochie underestimating tail risk and not recommending shutting down travels and itís gonna be bad news bears but not like the movie bad news bears.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
January 2nd, 2021 at 8:28:17 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

It was actually a name of honor. A memorial to a great baseball player who died from an obscure disease.

I.e. no one was saying "that Lou Gehrig gave us a terrible disease. What a nasty man,"

Wait so are you calling me a nasty man?
If so I take offense to that and ask that you be suspended
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 251
January 2nd, 2021 at 8:38:53 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Wait so are you calling me a nasty man?
If so I take offense to that and ask that you be suspended

If you see the quotations clearly show I am quoting anonymous people about their feelings of Lou Gehrig in that post
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
January 2nd, 2021 at 8:43:58 AM permalink
I apologize I didnít see the quotation marks.
I was being a little sarcastic in my post but if the virus did originate in China or this new strain in Britain I just donít see the big deal in calling them the Chinese virus or the British virus.

• Jump to: