Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
July 1st, 2018 at 9:38:50 AM permalink
As far as I am aware, no President ever challenged the two term tradition, until 1939. Teddy Roosevelt ran for what might have been a third term, but he was elevated to President, not elected, and the attempt came four years after leaving office.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
Thanks for this post from:
aceofspades
July 1st, 2018 at 11:13:39 AM permalink
I remember in 2016 during the
campaigning, I heard a bajillion
times that the next president
would probably choose as many
as 4 new SCOTUS judges. Too
many of them have an expiration
date approaching.

Nobody in the media was upset
by this, they were happy, in fact.
So now, when what they were all
saying is coming true, the media
is beside itself with hysteria.

It's like the idea of this is totally
new to them. Wait till Clarence
Thomas resigns later this year,
or early next year. He's 70 and has
said for years that's the cutoff date
for him. The media will have to
be hospitalized..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
RogerKintRS
July 1st, 2018 at 11:41:11 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

date approaching.

be hospitalized..

Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
July 2nd, 2018 at 7:08:40 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

date approaching.

be hospitalized..

I don't think there will be hysteria if Trump gets to replace Thomas. It will be conservative for a conservative. Where they will lose their stuff will be if Ginsberg retires
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
BozaceofspadesRS
July 4th, 2018 at 1:10:55 PM permalink
I donít even understand why we have Senate hearings. It seems that the result is pretty much decided before the hearing even begins, sometimes even before the nominee is announced. Trump could nominate Mother Teresa and it wouldnít matter. Kamela Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker are going to oppose everything Trump does because theyíre gearing up for a run in 2020. As soon as the recent CIA nominee was annnounced, they slammed her for supporting torture. I believe in her hearing she repeatedly said she had no role in that. Yet that continued to be what the haters clung too as their excuse. I could be mistaken, I didnít watch the whole thing.

On the other hand, much disliked people like Hillary Clinton and John Kerry are confirmed with over 90 votes. This was because Obama was popular and there was no chance of blocking the nominee, so everyone just went along with it.

Iíll admit, the right does the same thing. I think Obamaís nominee should have gotten a vote. But it seems the left always plays dirtier. Look at how misleading theyíre being about people crossing the border. Itís time for Republicans to rally hard with Trump and play dirty. Itís not like weíre going to win over Democrats by being nice. With the influx of immigrants and more Millenials voting, this will be the last Republican president for awhile.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
July 4th, 2018 at 2:54:08 PM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Where they will lose their stuff will be if Ginsberg retires

She'll never retire. They'll find her mummified
at her desk one morning and let her serve
10 more years in that condition.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 4th, 2018 at 5:49:52 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

I donít even understand why we have Senate hearings. It seems that the result is pretty much decided before the hearing even begins, sometimes even before the nominee is announced. Trump could nominate Mother Teresa and it wouldnít matter. Kamela Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker are going to oppose everything Trump does because theyíre gearing up for a run in 2020. As soon as the recent CIA nominee was annnounced, they slammed her for supporting torture. I believe in her hearing she repeatedly said she had no role in that. Yet that continued to be what the haters clung too as their excuse. I could be mistaken, I didnít watch the whole thing.

On the other hand, much disliked people like Hillary Clinton and John Kerry are confirmed with over 90 votes. This was because Obama was popular and there was no chance of blocking the nominee, so everyone just went along with it.

Iíll admit, the right does the same thing. I think Obamaís nominee should have gotten a vote. But it seems the left always plays dirtier. Look at how misleading theyíre being about people crossing the border. Itís time for Republicans to rally hard with Trump and play dirty. Itís not like weíre going to win over Democrats by being nice. With the influx of immigrants and more Millenials voting, this will be the last Republican president for awhile.

I believe you're wrong about the CIA post.

Quote: wiki

Haspel has attracted controversy for her role as chief of a CIA black site in Thailand in 2002 in which prisoners were tortured[10][11][12] with so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques", including waterboarding.[10][12][13][11][14] At that time, the George W. Bush administration considered the techniques legal based on a set of secret, now-rescinded legal opinions that expansively defined executive authority and narrowly defined torture.[15][16]

If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 238
July 4th, 2018 at 8:12:26 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

Its funny how repubs lump millenials with immigrants(as if they are not americans or consider young people a threat)

If the millenials dont support right wingers maybe right wingers should ask why?

And if they are going to keep the repubs from having another president for awhile stop moaning about how old you are and let the new generation run things. Its called natural progression

The repubs are fully in power and still whining. What a bunch of sore winners. No wonder they cant understand why America was and is already great
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
July 5th, 2018 at 8:22:11 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Its funny how repubs lump millenials with immigrants(as if they are not americans or consider young people a threat)

If the millenials dont support right wingers maybe right wingers should ask why?

And if they are going to keep the repubs from having another president for awhile stop moaning about how old you are and let the new generation run things. Its called natural progression

The repubs are fully in power and still whining. What a bunch of sore winners. No wonder they cant understand why America was and is already great

No Iím just grouping them together because they both seem to be becoming larger blocks of voters and they vote overwhelmingly Democrat. Meanwhile the typical middle class white Republican voters that have been the core of the Republican party for so long seem to be dying off.

It is a question the Republicans should ask themselves. I think people like Ben Shapiro and Candace Owens are great for attracting young people. All you need to to do is watch one of the videos of college kids being asked questions. Do you like it when Bernie said this and that? Oh yea heís awesome. Well that was actually Trump who said that. Oh really, but the media, my professors, and society all told me Trump is a mean racist, so thatís what Iím going to go with. Somebody go get them their participation trophy.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
July 5th, 2018 at 8:28:12 AM permalink
Hey EB, that new avatar of yours: your mug looks awfully familiar.

Did I see it on a milk carton?

America's Most Wanted?
"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: