Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 95
June 28th, 2018 at 2:02:02 PM permalink
Likely the absolute worst thing for Dems/Libs about the Trump Presidency is his appointing Supreme Court Justices. With 2.5 years left in his Presidency, and at least now a majority of Republicans in the Senate, do you think the Dems/Libs will be able to block DJT from getting a nominee confirmed? They won't have 60 for sure so the Dems could block any nominee if they vote (really filibuster) as a block. I would bet (but not a lot of money) that he gets one through.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 18
June 28th, 2018 at 2:08:04 PM permalink
While McConnell is going to try to get the confirmation done before the election, I dont think the election will matter. I suspect that the Republicans will lose the house and keep the Senate.
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake." ~ Worm
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
June 28th, 2018 at 2:11:09 PM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

While McConnell is going to try to get the confirmation done before the election, I dont think the election will matter. I suspect that the Republicans will lose the house and keep the Senate.

It is not enough to 'keep the Senate'. The filibuster rules allow the Dems to block the nominee as long as there aren't 60 Repubs. I have seen no prediction that the Repubs will get that many.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 13
June 28th, 2018 at 2:11:43 PM permalink
Not even talking about Trump specifically, but the worst thing about the way the SC works is that it gives one President, even if he serves only four years, the power to stack the court so that it will have certain influences for decades to come. That is a huge mistake and a massive flaw in checks and balances if you ask me. Trump is going to have at least two appointments now, and if he wins another term that could potentially give him a good chance at two more. There should be no such thing as lifelong appointments, and there shouldn't be an uneven number of justices. There should always be an equal number from each party, and if there's a tie, oh, well, tough darts, kick it back down to the lower courts. The SC should not be politically biased towards either side, and it looks like that's going to happen. I mean, it would have happened with Hillary, too, and it would have been equally wrong.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracleRS
June 28th, 2018 at 2:15:03 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

There should always be an equal number from each party,

This hurts my brain.....
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 26
June 28th, 2018 at 2:16:54 PM permalink
I think he will get one through, possibly before the midterms. Trump seems to have aligned his ducks.

I think the scarier thing for those on the left side of the aisle is that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 85. Do you think she is trying to hold out until 2021 before she retires? She'd be 88 then. And what if *gasp* Trump gets re-elected? I can't see her being a justice into her 90's. If Trump is re-elected, I think we'll see a 6-3 SCOTUS (possibly 7-2 -- Breyer is only 6 years behind her).
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 18
June 28th, 2018 at 2:21:36 PM permalink
RBG seems to be in fair health, but time aint on her side. She could easily go in the next 2.5 years. Then its a 6-3 majority (again assuming the Repubs keep the senate)
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake." ~ Worm
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 28th, 2018 at 2:27:22 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

This hurts my brain.....

Why?
Keeneone
Keeneone 
Thanks for this post from:
AZDuffman
June 28th, 2018 at 2:29:43 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It is not enough to 'keep the Senate'. The filibuster rules allow the Dems to block the nominee as long as there aren't 60 Repubs. I have seen no prediction that the Repubs will get that many.

This is no longer true. 50 votes is the current standard after the Senate changed the procedural rules to get Gorsuch nominated last year.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 39
June 28th, 2018 at 2:36:04 PM permalink
I doubt dems are going to be able to block an appointment. They were too weak to make sure Obama got his rightful nomination, and they are still just as weak.

I donít think think is going to change much in the long run, John Roberts is likely to be a swing voter on many issues.

I really think we need term limits for SCOTUS judges. The fact that they can be appointed by a single person for life is crazy town.

• Jump to: