Thread Rating:

Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
Thanks for this post from:
EvenBob
July 14th, 2018 at 12:09:47 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I suspect it would then be up to the states to determine whether to allow / regulate abortions.

No doubt the three left-leaning west coast states will continue to allow it; heck if the legislators in Nevada allow it mama, traveling from a state that does not allow abortion, could gamble, dine, see a show and get an abortion during her next trip to Las Vegas.

And smoke weed!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
July 15th, 2018 at 12:35:25 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

And a nonzero amount of liberal men. What exactly is the point?

Point is, why do you think more women tend to be Liberal than they do Conservative?

I wonder if it's the greater tendency of one side to spout off platitudes such as, "A woman's place is in the home," if not to have sects of a certain Religion we all know and love outright forbid women from working, unless their husbands are cool with it, of course. Maybe it's the greater tendency of one side as opposed to the other to think they should be allowed to tell women what to do with their own bodies which, by the way, hardly begins and ends with abortion.

I'm just asking you what side do these views correlate more to?

Quote:

And the sad part is such women keep going back to the guy for years. Keep refusing to press charges.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

As if all of them are in a position to do that?

Okay, so you're married to some, "Woman's place is in the home," fundamentalist extreme Christian, and you have four kids with the guy. So, what happens is that the demands placed upon you by the church are such that you never sought out a job, much less higher education. You have no idea who will take care of you if you leave the guy, who is also threatening to make it so that you never see the kids again if you do, whereas you're the one who cares the most about the welfare of the kids.

What do you do? As far as you can tell, staying with him for the kids would be the best thing, and from your perspective, he's right...what can you really offer the kids without him with only a limited earning capacity?

Alternatively, you can be on the side that, from the beginning, says you have the right to do whatever you think will make you happiest in life.

Quote:

....and his woman

Case in point. Thanks.
Last edited by: Mission146 on Jul 15, 2018
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
Thanks for this post from:
SanchoPanza
July 15th, 2018 at 12:39:21 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Actually it is a really BIG DEAL what is and isn't constitutional right. Might as well put some others to the states as well if you don't think it is a big deal.

Honestly, there's a fair Constitutional Rights question to be asked about whether or not it should have been put to the states to begin with.

If you want to know the truth, I think we might actually be less polarized on the national level if more was left up to the states. I'm not sure what the other effects of such a thing would be, and a good many of them would certainly be negative, but that would be one of the positive ones.
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 1
July 15th, 2018 at 4:27:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Point is, why do you think more women tend to be Liberal than they do Conservative? ....

53% of white women disobeyed Mother Hillary and voted for Trump.

The fact of the matter is liberal or conservative usually comes down to race. Most white people are Republicans, most minorityís are Democrats. I donít think gender matters too much.
Mission146
Mission146
July 15th, 2018 at 5:56:57 PM permalink
Quote: Sandybestdog

53% of white women disobeyed Mother Hillary and voted for Trump.

The fact of the matter is liberal or conservative usually comes down to race. Most white people are Republicans, most minorityís are Democrats. I donít think gender matters too much.

Like I said, I donít make the news, I just report it.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

The next one, for 2016:

http://www.people-press.org/2016/09/13/2-party-affiliation-among-voters-1992-2016/

Says 54% of white voters lean to the GOP.

The next chart after that says white women lean Republican 47-46, so it looks like race is not a key factor when it comes to the political leanings of white women. To wit, theyíre the most evenly split group.

When you throw all of the minority women in there, you end up with well over 50% of women leaning Democrat, which is my original point.

CNN has it at 52% white women for Trump:

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls/national/president

But, thatís splitting hairs.

My guess is three-fold:

1. Because Hillary sucks.
2. Because Hillary was the political equivalent of an overplayed pop song for nearly two years.
3. Because Hillary took a few key states with economically disadvantaged white voters (many of whom were women, a few of whom would generally lean Democrat) for granted.

Anyway, as compared to party identification, a large share of white women certainly did vote for Trump, but my original point is that most women tend to lean Democrat...which is true.

I think gender matters to the extent that if you had the same percentages of white women lean GOP as is true with men, then the Democrats would no longer have a majority of the women, overall.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
July 15th, 2018 at 5:59:34 PM permalink

Honestly, there's a fair Constitutional Rights question to be asked about whether or not it should have been put to the states to begin with.

If you want to know the truth, I think we might actually be less polarized on the national level if more was left up to the states. I'm not sure what the other effects of such a thing would be, and a good many of them would certainly be negative, but that would be one of the positive ones.

If a fetus has rights, aren't those rights the same in every jurisdiction?
Mission146
Mission146
July 15th, 2018 at 6:17:16 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If a fetus has rights, aren't those rights the same in every jurisdiction?

Iím pro-choice, so youíre barking up the wrong umbilical cord with that question.

I donít even care about the moral question, if you want to know the truth. Iím more concerned with the practical effect. If some states have legalized abortion and others donít, then a woman who wants one and lives in a state that doesnít can simply live/drive to a state that does to get it.

I just think that much of the political frustration and divisiveness in this country stems from the fact that thereís so much riding on Federal Law. Contrastly, if you could leave some of these big questions up to the states, (though I do see why the Feds need to take a stance on gay marriage, or at least, recognizing civil unions) then anyone who doesnít like the law in one state can just move to another.

Like to gamble? Donít live in the middle of Utah.

Want to smoke weed? Live in one of those states.

Income & Personal Property Taxes...

There are other examples, but Iím not going to list them all. Letís just say they are varied and can get a bit odd, though.
Mission146
Mission146
July 15th, 2018 at 6:32:31 PM permalink
The other thing is that Iím convinced that the notion of, ďFetus rights,Ē was all the machination of a group of people who decided that the unborn fetuses have souls that an all-powerful God put in them. Ergo, by killing the fetus, you kill the soul.

Which serves to prove that if a person wants to enjoy many of the effects of LSD, but does not actually want to take an illegal drug, all that person need do is attend church long enough.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
July 15th, 2018 at 6:34:51 PM permalink

Point is, why do you think more women tend to be Liberal than they do Conservative?

I wonder if it's the greater tendency of one side to spout off platitudes such as, "A woman's place is in the home," if not to have sects of a certain Religion we all know and love outright forbid women from working, unless their husbands are cool with it, of course. Maybe it's the greater tendency of one side as opposed to the other to think they should be allowed to tell women what to do with their own bodies which, by the way, hardly begins and ends with abortion.

I think you are divorced from reality. I think more tend to be liberal because more use government aid, as do so many single mothers for example. I don't hear any conservatives spouting the platitudes you say.

Women more than men want to be liked. Liberalism is easy there, just offer more government programs and say you are for all the right things. Conservatism is more for grown-ups. Conservative have to say "no" to many things, same as you do to children who want candy every trip to the check-out lane.

Quote:

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

As if all of them are in a position to do that?

Okay, so you're married to some, "Woman's place is in the home," fundamentalist extreme Christian, and you have four kids with the guy. So, what happens is that the demands placed upon you by the church are such that you never sought out a job, much less higher education. You have no idea who will take care of you if you leave the guy, who is also threatening to make it so that you never see the kids again if you do, whereas you're the one who cares the most about the welfare of the kids.

What do you do? As far as you can tell, staying with him for the kids would be the best thing, and from your perspective, he's right...what can you really offer the kids without him with only a limited earning capacity?

Alternatively, you can be on the side that, from the beginning, says you have the right to do whatever you think will make you happiest in life.

You are again divorced from reality. What on earth does "fundamentalist extreme Christian" have to do with things? I'd say it is more likely the woman liked the "bad boy" and ignored the kid who went to church of any kind. He slapped her a little here and there when they were dating. The kid who went to church and others told her to dump him. She ignored the advice of everyone. She might have even let herself get pregnant hoping the guy would settle once he had a kid.

Meanwhile, she took easy classes in school and never learned a skill, because her man would take care of her. Maybe they had moved in and the cops came once or twice, and she said "don't take him away!" She ends up in a trap of her own making. Had she had some self-respect and self-esteem she would have dumped him early on. But he was the "bad boy" she hoped to tame.

I am pretty much done here as you are wanting to turn a SCOTUS thread into a pro-gay and anti-christian thread. I am confused as to why you think any ill has to be related to a Christian this or a Christian that. But I am not going to keep going down the road.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
July 15th, 2018 at 6:35:27 PM permalink
All well and good but what happens when the fetus wants to live in a state where abortion is prohibited but his mother disagrees.

• Jump to: