Thread Rating:

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
July 10th, 2018 at 8:31:11 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Can you tell me the first Presidential candidate to select the VP candidate without looking it up? I'll give you a hint: The Founding Fathers couldn't have seen that one coming.

There are a lot of things that they couldn't see coming. They placed a mechanism in the Constitution to handle those things.

President Obama and President Trump could not be "President for Life" because the Constitution was amended after after FDR was elected more than twice. It hadn't been an issue previously because the precedent President Washington set had been followed or enforced (U S Grant tried for three, for example...). Now the longest a President can serve is 10 years.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 313
Mission146
July 10th, 2018 at 8:44:58 AM permalink
Quote: ZenKinG

If you knew anything about the Constitution and the Supreme Court, you would know that the Supreme Court judge is left to no interpretation. All of the interpretation done by the Supreme Court must be done by following our founding father's interpretations which can be found in the Federalist Papers and Madison's Notes. Youre just another ignorant citizen who knows nothing about this countrys history and how the law is applied, but instead is brainwashed by your tell-a-lie-vision and media.

And if YOU knew anything about how life really works, you'd realize that in giving the president the power to appoint judges to the SC the framers certainly understood he would appoint people friendly to his agenda.

Hello, human nature.

If the SC strictly followed stare decisis there would be little ability to interpret the law in order to allow it to adjust to the demands of changing times.

It allows (at least in theory) for fluidity, to allow the law and the fundamental undepinnings of the social order to evolve beyond the limits of current legislation.

Unhappily it also serves to fan the flames of the divisiveness of modern partisan politics.
"What, me worry?"
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 9:02:00 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

And if YOU knew anything about how life really works, you'd realize that in giving the president the power to appoint judges to the SC the framers certainly understood he would appoint people friendly to his agenda.

Yes,, they knew that...but along the way the number of Justices was set high enough that it would be very hard for anyone to have ONLY people friendly to their agenda on the Court. The members of the Court, unless they die in office, have some say in who replaces them since they always have the option of resigning or holding on fro dear life...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 9:34:57 AM permalink

Honestly, mainly the parts that aren't in it. The Founding Fathers were just guys like you and I, not Gods. The Constitution is the ultimate appeal to authority, but more importantly, an authority that tries to preemptively answer questions that it didn't even know were going to be asked.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with most of the Constitution. It's just trying to frame answers to it that it doesn't actually answer sucks and is really kind of dumb.

What parts are missing?

What you are not getting is that the USA with the exception of LA is a common law country. That means a basic layout of laws then courts decide when there is an unforeseen issue comes up.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 9:38:14 AM permalink

I wonder if the main difference between some Conservatives and some Liberals isn’t that the Liberals don’t necessarily think their subjective moral sets should be Universally applied, including to those who may not share their same moral principles? Conservatives also tend to be more religious, I know correlation isn’t causation, but...

Liberals demand their moral principles be applied all the time all over the country pace.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 10:43:53 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Good thing hypocrisy isn't a snake or you'd be bitten. Where to start. Where's Trump's tax returns? He's said he show them to us. Calling people out, what a line of horseshit.

So now a charity doesn’t get $1,000,000 for Lizzy simply backing up what she has said time and time again is true. It’s simple these days, not sure why she wouldn’t do it.

It gives her another arrow in her quill to use against him and would make him look like a fool if she agreed to it.

No sure where the downside is for Lizzy and the liberals on this one.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
July 10th, 2018 at 10:48:42 AM permalink

No the only one who sucks is you. If you knew anything about the Constitution and the Supreme Court, you would know that the Supreme Court judge is left to no interpretation. All of the interpretation done by the Supreme Court must be done by following our founding father's interpretations which can be found in the Federalist Papers and Madison's Notes. Youre just another ignorant citizen who knows nothing about this countrys history and how the law is applied, but instead is brainwashed by your tell-a-lie-vision and media. Suggest you get off the internet and turn your TV off because you have been brainwashed. You probably think we live in a democracy as well just like everyone else in this thread.

You're a disgrace to this country. All the hard work and blood sweat and tears that our founding fathers have sacrificed for us only for future generation of citizens to throw out ignorant comments like yours with the audacity to say the Constitution sucks and your erroneous comment about who interprets what and how.

Sad times.

I’m not one to push for people to be suspended but I have to ask, why is this allowed here? Not the post, but the person who wrote it who obviously never learns. It’s a disgrace to use his own words and it sucks.

And welcome back Mission, sorry you “suck” and are a “disgrace to this country”.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 10th, 2018 at 10:51:35 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Looks like the Women's March press release somehow got out with "XX" as the SCOTUS nominee. Meaning they were going to say basically the same thing no matter who was nominated.

I wonder how many of these people saying you "can't overturn Roe" because it is "settled law" realize that they are saying that Separate But Equal should never have been overturned either as that was "settled law?"

Like I said, all you libs would have something else to worry about besides illegal aliens kids in a couple weeks. Libs seem to have forgotten all about what they were so in a lather about there.

Trump said he would pick from the list.

The list was pre-vetted and contained ONLY justices who would commit to a particular conservative agenda.

That agenda was known or discovered a year or more ago, starting when Trump announced during the campaign it would be used.

The list contained several litmus-test criteria. Which allows Trump to claim he didn't ask any individual issue questions. But of course, Trump doesn't put 2 and 2 together for LITs or spinners, which is that the LIST ALREADY IS ONLY THOSE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED THE ISSUE QUESTIONS AND PASSED THE LITMUS TESTS PUT BY THE PEOPLE WHO COMPILED THE LIST.

God, this country is so ignorant and gullible. We didn't used to be this stupid.

So, XX means nothing, because those justices under consideration had already taken an "acceptable" stance on the issues discussed in the press release.

Why wouldn't I, as a pro-choice voter, want that opposition to be prepared and organized, anyway? Especially when both Trump and McConnell are trying to railroad the process as quickly as they can.

And no, the MSM and the libs have not forgotten the separated families. You might wish, but it's being covered hourly, right alongside the irony of Thailand moving heaven and earth to reunite those boys with their families. But the US loses the kids, loses the records, can't even sort it out.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
July 10th, 2018 at 10:54:56 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

God, this country is so ignorant and gullible. We didn't used to be this stupid.

I disagree, we have always been this stupid. We just didn't have all the information that we do today to realize 95% of the population are morons.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
EvenBob
July 10th, 2018 at 10:55:18 AM permalink

No the only one who sucks is you. If you knew anything about the Constitution and the Supreme Court, you would know that the Supreme Court judge is left to no interpretation. All of the interpretation done by the Supreme Court must be done by following our founding father's interpretations which can be found in the Federalist Papers and Madison's Notes. Youre just another ignorant citizen who knows nothing about this countrys history and how the law is applied, but instead is brainwashed by your tell-a-lie-vision and media. Suggest you get off the internet and turn your TV off because you have been brainwashed. You probably think we live in a democracy as well just like everyone else in this thread.

You're a disgrace to this country. All the hard work and blood sweat and tears that our founding fathers have sacrificed for us only for future generation of citizens to throw out ignorant comments like yours with the audacity to say the Constitution sucks and your erroneous comment about who interprets what and how.

Sad times.

Just saw this. Indefinite suspension. Minimum 14 days, final decision next week.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: