Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
January 14th, 2021 at 8:13:03 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I prefer hot dogs that seem less ‘watery’. Nathan’s now available in my Wegmans. The lettuce is a great idea instead of a mediocre hot dog roll.

I am at the point now where I will not buy any hot dogs except Nathan's. I used to buy the cheap hot dogs but as I get older I appreciate the flavor of Nathan's over saving a couple of dollars. I probably only buy hot dogs two or three times a year.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
January 14th, 2021 at 8:48:23 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am at the point now where I will not buy any hot dogs except Nathan's. I used to buy the cheap hot dogs but as I get older I appreciate the flavor of Nathan's over saving a couple of dollars. I probably only buy hot dogs two or three times a year.

Hebrew National hotdogs are really good
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
January 14th, 2021 at 9:23:50 AM permalink
My Safeway carries a bunch of different Nathan's hot dogs but not my favorite- the bigger than the bun type. It's just as well as they are terrible for me. Sabretts, Hebrew National or Nathans are the only ones I will eat. Grilled or microwaved, with a toasted bun and spicey mustard.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
January 14th, 2021 at 9:30:13 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Hebrew National hotdogs are really good

During my recent RV travels
I visited Montgomery Alabama
Wandered around downtown
Came to a historic sign marker in front of an old restaurant

Chris Hot Dogs
established 1917

I had to have one. They've been serving them for over 100 years
It was pretty good. Ate it safely at an outdoor table.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 23
January 14th, 2021 at 1:14:20 PM permalink
I’ve never understood why anyone would eat a hot dog

If you must eat tubular get a grilled sausage. So many great varieties and made from recognizable meat
It’s all about making that GTA
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
January 14th, 2021 at 1:27:15 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I’ve never understood why anyone would eat a hot dog

If you must eat tubular get a grilled sausage. So many great varieties and made from recognizable meat

What else would you slice up to mix with Kraft Mac n Cheese?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 110
January 14th, 2021 at 1:58:04 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

My Safeway carries a bunch of different Nathan's hot dogs but not my favorite- the bigger than the bun type. It's just as well as they are terrible for me. Sabretts, Hebrew National or Nathans are the only ones I will eat. Grilled or microwaved, with a toasted bun and spicey mustard.

I’ve never had a Sabrett’s not from a NYC street vendor! Every December I go to NYC for a conference, and before my expensive NYC restaurant dinner I always eat ‘one with’, meaning mustard, sauerkraut, and onions. Yum. For my 5 single years I would buy a large pack of hot dogs, often alternating between Hebrew National and Nathan’s. Yum.
Always broiled.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 98
January 14th, 2021 at 5:54:10 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

My Safeway carries a bunch of different Nathan's hot dogs but not my favorite- the bigger than the bun type.

They haven't been called that in years - ever since Nathan's changed the size of its regular hot dogs from 2 ounces to 1.5 (and replaced the package of four quarter-pound franks with five 2.4-ouncers), they're called "Bun-Length" now.

The only "cheap" brand that I like is Kirkland. As for Hebrew National vs. Nathan's, I find that Nathan's can withstand a microwave better.

As for what I ate today: leftovers of what I believe is called a "tuna stack," consisting of:
Low-carb taco-size spinach tortilla
Alfredo sauce
Can of tuna
Spinach
2/3 cup of Italian cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, asiago, parmesan, romano)
Another tortilla, more sauce, another can of tuna, more spinach, more cheese
Repeat two more times; top with a fifth tortilla and the remaining sauce from the jar
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
January 14th, 2021 at 8:38:05 PM permalink
An internet search shows several supermarkets offering the bigger than the bun dogs in eight packs weighing 14 ounces. They used to be a full pound, but Nathan's website does not list them. Curious.
The bun length have a different casing than the BTTN ones, or at least they used to.
Eating more than one causes my ankles to swell, and who can eat only one.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 23
January 15th, 2021 at 6:08:12 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

What else would you slice up to mix with Kraft Mac n Cheese?

Horrifying !
It’s all about making that GTA

• Jump to: