Thread Rating:

MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
November 25th, 2016 at 1:15:49 PM permalink
Conquest is progress and progress is essential.

That would make a good sig line. ;-)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 25th, 2016 at 4:40:35 PM permalink
I'd love it if our history books reflected more truth and less myth but I doubt it will ever happen. Sure the winners write the history books but the winners often have factions and even the winners oft need to be "politically correct" in their interpretations.

I don't know if conquest is progress; it is change but change may not be progress at all.

I doubt Al Capone will ever be depicted as the number one welfare provider for the entire city of Chicago but he clearly was.

I'm not at all fashion conscious but I do believe that sleeves and cuffs date back to a necessity for the use of a sword and therefore are senseless today. I have no idea why neckties linger on.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 26th, 2016 at 3:04:26 AM permalink
Neckties go back a thousand years, to when gentlemen and knights wore their colors and crests. They were a way to identify allies, friends, or foes i think they also hang on as an acceptable way for businessmen to show a bit of individuality in a drab.suit environment. Jmho on the latter.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 26th, 2016 at 3:52:58 AM permalink
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
November 26th, 2016 at 4:39:39 AM permalink
Funny how our brains work. I read it as meth since that is what it was supposed to say and couldn't figure out was wrong with the meme
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 1st, 2016 at 12:41:18 PM permalink
Please enjoy this Craigslist posting that I wrote:

(Link Removed)

I want to get, 'Best Of,' Craigslist, so please click on, 'Best of,' if you like this.

DISCLAIMER: (Link Removed)
Last edited by: Mission146 on Jan 4, 2017
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 1st, 2016 at 4:37:54 PM permalink
Sorry, there's no easy way to say this.

That little tale isn't worthy of being included in"best of craigslist."

I'm a CL regular and often peruse the screeds which have risen to the top.

Most are concise, pithy, and with a twist.

Your tale was long, verbose and basically not all that unusual.

So ... your shorts got wet when you dropped then onto the floor in a public restroom?

Somebody missed when he pissed?

Wow, how shocking: not.

BTW: Karma's a bitch.

That'll teach you to leave your rig unattended at the gas pump for a long time, thus preventing others from using it.

Heck, if you did it to me and I had a chance I'd piss on your shorts too.

Just sayin'.
Last edited by: MrV on Dec 1, 2016
"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 2nd, 2016 at 5:48:35 PM permalink
Fair enough, sorry you didn't like it. I probably could have trimmed it down a bit.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
December 2nd, 2016 at 6:24:41 PM permalink
If you look for me at a gas station, you'll never see me parked at a spot. Always parked at a pump, so I never have to back out. I'd just rather not assume the risk or inconvenience of backing up. I backed into too many cars and things before and after I had my license or permit. There is nothing wrong with this or taking your time just because you're at a pump. It is possible I may decide to get gas any time I park at a pump, even if I originally think I won't.

The most interesting gas station story including restrooms I have is what I saw in a toilet. There was a big poop wider than a coke can. I always wondered how it was possible. Told my mom when I got back to the car and she said it must have been a big 400 pound trucker. Wish I had a camera back then. It may have been a Guinness record.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 2nd, 2016 at 6:33:12 PM permalink
M
Quote: Mission146

Fair enough, sorry you didn't like it. I probably could have trimmed it down a bit.

Not even one time using the phrase "to wit"? Automatically disqualifies. These things must be simple enough for most to read, including not being too graphic. Letters From A Nut is a good example.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
December 2nd, 2016 at 6:33:31 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I sort of liked it, but sort of liking isn't good enough for best of.

There are many millions of posts on CL, and only the finest cream can rise to the top.

Only the best.

For those who don't know WTF we are talking about, here's a link to the recent "best of craigslist."

Y'all can be the judge and jury.
"What, me worry?"
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 3rd, 2016 at 4:20:39 AM permalink
Staying in a fairfield suites in chicago. It just opened this week so I may be the first person to ever crap in this toilet. Anyways, they have 42 inch smart tvs. Kinda neat to be able to watch netflix, hulu, and youtube. I wonder how much movie revenue they will lose. Do people even rent movies in hotels anymore? I was surprised to get this hotel for only 10k points a night wit free breakfast.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
onenickelmiracleMooseton
December 4th, 2016 at 5:41:27 AM permalink
People complain about the dc beltway but i90 in chicago blows that small street away. Everytime I drive this route it makes me want to go postal.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 4th, 2016 at 5:48:44 AM permalink
There was some talk about iq scores and tests in that ok mlkthread dragged up. Took some tests online, the results seemed about what I expected, then took this one, and did not like the results I got at the end. It was hard as hell, felt like I was deciphering an alien dictionary or something. Do not take the test and do not share your results, I warn you.

a prince at the end

https://www.iqtestforfree.net/iq-test.html

PS All the other tests on the other sites gave me a score of 128-130, so that explains why I'm the forum idiot.
I am a robot.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 5th, 2016 at 1:23:59 AM permalink
No prince waiting. You just find out it isn't free. Double bitch slap sent your way for wasting an hour of my time to find out how dumb I am.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
Mooseton
December 5th, 2016 at 1:32:23 AM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

No prince waiting. You just find out it isn't free. Double bitch slap sent your way for wasting an hour of my time to find out how dumb I am.

Hahaha a Nigerian prince. Lolz. It seems so easy at the beginning, then becomes incredibly difficult at the end though. It was making me incredibly stressed. It was like not knowing how to read staring at letters and words. The last few were just so flabbergasting. I couldn't make any sense of them whatsoever.

I did advise not taking the test though it was reverse psychology. You weren't supposed to share your results, ruining the fun for everyone to fall in that trap.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 5th, 2016 at 6:45:35 AM permalink
Yeah thanks I fell for it too.

I got to about question 40 before I was ready to break my phone. I guessed on the last 15 or so because it was hurting my brain.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 5th, 2016 at 7:34:09 AM permalink
Noticed when they pitched paying for it, there is a log out button at the bottom of the page. Didn't even know what it means, but probably best logging out. Since you connect to Facebook first before they drop the sales pitch, don't know. It doesn't log you out of facebook, so...
I am a robot.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 5th, 2016 at 10:50:16 AM permalink
I did the 1st ten questions and thought it was too easy so something had to be wrong,so i quit.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 7th, 2016 at 5:33:03 AM permalink
Don't you hate that Act mouthwash commercial? A lady leads in, saying, "I was having a conversation with my hygienist and she said the most random thing...", and the most random thing was talking about dental care. Now if a mechanic mentioned it, maybe that would be random, unless you brought up your teeth, then he said the most knowledgeable thing.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 7th, 2016 at 5:14:13 PM permalink
A while back I mentioned that I thought amy schumer was hot. It must have just been the show I was watching or maybe it was her 5 years ago but her in the old Navy commercials are not hot at all. I will just stick to Reese witherspoon.

Speaking of that, we were in a checkout the other day and my wife saw her on a cover. She asked me if I had the option would I leave her and the kids for reese. Of course I said yes. Apparently that was the wrong answer.
charlestfuller
charlestfuller
  • Threads: 3
December 7th, 2016 at 8:30:38 PM permalink
It's been the reverse for me regarding Jennifer Lawrence. I thought she was just some average girl starting with these Hunger Games movies but she is FINE in all these movies she shows up in now haha
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
December 7th, 2016 at 10:10:55 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I will just stick to Reese witherspoon.

Speaking of that, we were in a checkout the other day and my wife saw her on a cover. She asked me if I had the option would I leave her and the kids for reese. Of course I said yes. Apparently that was the wrong answer.

That is surpassed only by, "Honey, do I look fat in this dress?"
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
December 8th, 2016 at 5:17:58 PM permalink
Godspeed Jonn Glenn
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
December 15th, 2016 at 10:11:12 AM permalink
Treasure hunter in jail for two years. Won't fess up to where the gold is. Apparently cheated his investors.

Being fined 1k a day as well. How long will he last? Claims he forgot where it is. Doubt his investors have much sympathy.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-treasure-hunter-found-3-tons-of-sunken-gold-%E2%80%94-and-can%E2%80%99t-leave-jail-until-he-says-where-it-is/ar-AAlyFIa?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
GWAE
GWAE
December 15th, 2016 at 2:39:05 PM permalink
What would that much gold do to the dollar, if it was sold?

I also thought I read somewhere that it is illegal to own god bars.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 15th, 2016 at 3:35:15 PM permalink
Antiquity ownership is legal. The Judge screwed him. Allocated things to partners on a sequential basis, so that a valuable collection of four coints would be split into a miniscule one coin each losing most of its value to collectors.

He tried to micromanage the loot and the judge just got frustrated and said rot in jail.

Its best to simply keep your mouth shut and only take as investors people who will not challenge your bookkeeping.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 15th, 2016 at 8:20:07 PM permalink

What would that much gold do to the dollar, if it was sold?

I also thought I read somewhere that it is illegal to own god bars.

Nothing really. Most of the value would be due to historical significance, not like it would be melted down ruining the value. It all just gets hoarded anyways and gold value is manipulated. However if you find the wrong ship, an insurance company will come after with some claim and take it. After hundreds of years, kind of terrible people invest looking for ships then insurance companies get it in court when they're spending nothing to find it. We all suspect that's wrong and they might not actually have the claims they claim they have.
I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 15th, 2016 at 8:35:39 PM permalink
The insurance companies don't even pretend to have documentation, its usually just bald claims.

That is why most salvagers don't announce finds or locations and often engage in 'target practice' with those who try to follow them.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 15th, 2016 at 9:02:04 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

There was some talk about iq scores and tests in that ok mlkthread dragged up. Took some tests online, the results seemed about what I expected.

I took one a few years ago and the result was higher than anticipated (78). I noticed there was a button to share your results on social media and I figured they inflated your scores to encourage you to do so.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 15th, 2016 at 9:35:54 PM permalink

Does anyone on here drive for lyft or uber? Just curious if anyone does or even used to see if it is worth it. I know the hourly rate after car expenses basically sucks but just trying to see if a friday and saturday night drive is worth it. thoughts?

I've done some driving for lyft. If you have a good sign up bonus, it's worth clearing the bonus for sure and having a new experience. After that, it's pretty iffy.

I don't know where people live and stuff, but if someone thinks they are netting $20/hr with Uber they are most likely not really considering wear and tear, maintenance, phone data, extra insurance, etc. Not to mention the significant risk of death or injury from all that driving.

Lyft pays about 20% more if you hit your goals, and you can make an additional 10% or so in tips (which Uber successfully discourages). That makes it so-so. In Vegas, you can also get a nice supplement from strip clubs.

There are some people who get it down to a science, or find a particular niche and make OK money with Uber, but there seem to be far more who just don't factor in all the costs. It helps if you have a very cheap car.

Taxi prices are what they are for a reason.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 15th, 2016 at 10:18:49 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I took one a few years ago and the result was higher than anticipated (78). I noticed there was a button to share your results on social media and I figured they inflated your scores to encourage you to do so.

Probably, just depends. There were facebook posts where every idiot was 150. Clearly bogus then. 120-something for me sounds about right, I'm certain not very gifted like Mission. I'm brain damaged to be honest in a way, stunted from head injuries very mildly. Hit my head and forgot French that I knew. I've had trouble ever since. Oh well, one of my football buddies died hitting a tree, there could be me.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
December 15th, 2016 at 10:41:15 PM permalink
I wonder what effect my smoking weed since I was a teen has had on my IQ?

Some questions are better left unanswered.
"What, me worry?"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 15th, 2016 at 10:57:51 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wonder what effect my smoking weed since I was a teen has had on my IQ?

Some questions are better left unanswered.

That too. Used to be talented playing WOF puzzles. Don't even do it anymore, I suck for life now. You can gain in some ways from drugs though having your mind opened, look at all the rock stars with great music. Creativity can be improved, new doors opened, just saying.
I am a robot.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
December 15th, 2016 at 11:39:53 PM permalink

That too. Used to be talented playing WOF puzzles. Don't even do it anymore, I suck for life now. You can gain in some ways from drugs though having your mind opened, look at all the rock stars with great music. Creativity can be improved, new doors opened, just saying.

Weed used to open my mind. People talk about listening to rock on the pot, but first time I listened to Bach blew me away.

Now it just helps me fall asleep, a little dumber.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 16th, 2016 at 12:44:25 AM permalink
I fall asleep sometimes, but dream I'm awake. This happens right away, as soon as I fall asleep, I dream. In these cases, only dream I still have my phone in my hands using it, or when I had a laptop, on my laptop. Takes a little while to realize there is no device in my hands, usually start realizing this soon after things dont seem real, dont seem cause and effect. Used to think I was playing bingo blitz, then started questioning how the game wasn't making sense. Usually realize nothing is really in my hands, then just fall asleep again with no more dreams I'm aware of. Definitely a sign spending too much time online, but it's weird falling asleep straight into a dream, which is supposed to take a long time to reach REM stages.

That's funny, because when a dream aligns with the real world otherwise, me being in my bed in my dream, I wake up usually. One time not so lucky, I ran out of bed to save my cat in the road, with my eyes closed and fell hard on the ground when I tripped. So lucky I didn't break my neck or anything else.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 16th, 2016 at 12:55:46 AM permalink

Weed used to open my mind. People talk about listening to rock on the pot, but first time I listened to Bach blew me away.

Now it just helps me fall asleep, a little dumber.

My first time, when I closed my eyes, I saw colorful geometric shapes, cubes, spheres, pyramids. Not sure if that counts as a hallucination if you only see things when your eyes are closed. Might explain the instantaneous dreams I get sometimes I just mentioned. Think there is a term like that used on the old art bell show, can't recall, googling....can't find it...remote viewing.
I am a robot.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
December 16th, 2016 at 3:27:41 AM permalink

You anticipated less than 78? I'm just hoping they deflated your score...

I've always liked IQ test questions.....particularly the puzzles and shapes where they ask which one follows and you look at it thinking, "wtf, there's a flag, a square, a house, a flower.....and my choices are blue, 57, snail, or Zulu". I'd like to find a legitimate one online, although I doubt that exists. :(
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 16th, 2016 at 4:08:06 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I'd like to find a legitimate one online, although I doubt that exists. :(

Don't think there is anything legitmte online. If these spam like 'click me and send me to all your facebook friends to click me' sites accomplish anything I don't know. I think they just get Google Dollars for all that "audience impace factor" or stuff like that. Its like these click on this sexy news story about a murdered model ... you get the gory parts in a succession of one paragraph pages that all feature the same "sponsored content" links.

If it has no connection to mindless spam, no body bothers putting on the net anymore.

If its not hyped for 'click value' then it has no value.
rxwine
rxwine
December 16th, 2016 at 11:43:29 AM permalink
Seinfeld music makes everything funnier?
https://youtu.be/TaRcvxxHfvM?t=63

NSFW
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 16th, 2016 at 11:35:27 PM permalink
Too stupid to die, suicide vest

Man that's awful, yes, they are too stupid. Not really sure using your hands is wise to cure the pain, but likely an involuntary reaction anyways.
I am a robot.
rxwine
rxwine
December 17th, 2016 at 12:11:00 AM permalink

Man that's awful, yes, they are too stupid. Not really sure using your hands is wise to cure the pain, but likely an involuntary reaction anyways.

Did you watch any of his other videos? Some people have a weird threshold for self-abuse. (not the good kind).
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 17th, 2016 at 12:22:20 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Did you watch any of his other videos? Some people have a weird threshold for self-abuse. (not the good kind).

Nope, first time hearing of this. Probably will though at some point, depends if I think they're stupid enough to be funny or gross or sad.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
December 17th, 2016 at 8:42:50 AM permalink
To show my dedication and addiction to pepsi. In western PA we have about a half inch of ice. Roads are fine but our 300 foot hilly driveway is a complete mess. I decided to walk a half mile each way on ice covered sidewalks and parts that had no sidewalks to buy a 2 liter.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
December 17th, 2016 at 2:37:15 PM permalink
Get two!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 17th, 2016 at 2:40:22 PM permalink
Addiction? Perhaps.
Dedication? One generally uses that term for something viewed as having benefit.

All that sugar and phosphorus is seriously damaging.

I could understant it for a one in fifty million chance of some super lotto jackpot. We hear about things like that. but the risk of falls, motorists, etc. should be off putting enough.
GWAE
GWAE
December 17th, 2016 at 3:07:06 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Addiction? Perhaps.
Dedication? One generally uses that term for something viewed as having benefit.

All that sugar and phosphorus is seriously damaging.

I could understant it for a one in fifty million chance of some super lotto jackpot. We hear about things like that. but the risk of falls, motorists, etc. should be off putting enough.

You are right. And it wasnt. Pepsi is a powerful drug.
GWAE
GWAE
December 17th, 2016 at 3:07:47 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

Get two!

Damn should have done that.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 17th, 2016 at 4:54:19 PM permalink

To show my dedication and addiction to pepsi. In western PA we have about a half inch of ice. Roads are fine but our 300 foot hilly driveway is a complete mess. I decided to walk a half mile each way on ice covered sidewalks and parts that had no sidewalks to buy a 2 liter.

I can understand that, I used to be seriously addicted to coca cola ,thankfully I gave it up about 20 years ago.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 20th, 2016 at 10:50:40 AM permalink
Trivia question

with the opening of MGM/National Harbor, the state of Maryland now has

*a slot machine every 10 sq miles
*a slot machine every sq mile
*2 slot machines every sq mile
*you can walk across the state on the top of slot machines and never touch ground

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: