Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 10th, 2016 at 1:51:03 PM permalink
Does anyone on here drive for lyft or uber? Just curious if anyone does or even used to see if it is worth it. I know the hourly rate after car expenses basically sucks but just trying to see if a friday and saturday night drive is worth it. thoughts?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 10th, 2016 at 2:08:19 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Does anyone on here drive for lyft or uber? Just curious if anyone does or even used to see if it is worth it. I know the hourly rate after car expenses basically sucks but just trying to see if a friday and saturday night drive is worth it. thoughts?

teddys
I am a robot.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 10th, 2016 at 2:12:30 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

... drive for lyft or uber?

Never been interested in such, but if you are, there is something you should consider: At my last insurance renewal, there was a disclosure insert noting that the vehicle is not covered if it is being used for such things as Uber.
GWAE
GWAE
November 10th, 2016 at 2:19:57 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Never been interested in such, but if you are, there is something you should consider: At my last insurance renewal, there was a disclosure insert noting that the vehicle is not covered if it is being used for such things as Uber.

That is definitely a consideration. Will have to check my policy to see if there is a disclaimer.

I recall seeing on lyts site that they provide 100k insurance. I wonder if that is why.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
November 10th, 2016 at 2:30:27 PM permalink
Uber covers up to $1 million in liability as the primary insurer when you are picking up or driving a fare.

One of my best friends drives part time for Uber and his wage fluctuates based on the time of day. According to him driving in the evenings when people are drinking are his most lucrative times to work. He estimates that he nets about $20 an hour after expenses but he only drives about 10 hours a week.
Order from chaos
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 10th, 2016 at 2:45:28 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

According to him driving in the evenings when people are drinking are his most lucrative times to work. He estimates that he nets about $20 an hour after expenses but he only drives about 10 hours a week.

In other words, he skims the cream in a market that consists of cream-skimming what would otherwise be fares for established taxi companies.
GWAE
GWAE
November 10th, 2016 at 2:50:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Uber covers up to $1 million in liability as the primary insurer when you are picking up or driving a fare.

One of my best friends drives part time for Uber and his wage fluctuates based on the time of day. According to him driving in the evenings when people are drinking are his most lucrative times to work. He estimates that he nets about $20 an hour after expenses but he only drives about 10 hours a week.

On lyts site they show if you work 10 hours then you will.make approx 200 a week. I was thinking about doing 4 or 5 hours on Friday and ssturdy night. 10pm till 3am should be killers.

Taxis in pittsburgh are horrible an expensive. I am guessing lyft people are making a killing around here.
DRich
DRich
November 10th, 2016 at 2:52:24 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

In other words, he skims the cream in a market that consists of cream-skimming what would otherwise be fares for established taxi companies.

Yes, he believes patrons deserve the option of supporting a lower cost small business over a large corrupt organization.
Order from chaos
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 191
November 10th, 2016 at 3:26:05 PM permalink
I drove a taxi for 4 years a long time ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed much. There is no cream. It's hard work. Difficult, demanding passengers. If you drive at night there is danger. Traffic is insane and gridlock can happen at any time. Tremendous wear and tear on your vehicle. Cops love to hassle you. Only thing that's good right now is gas is down in price. A lot of drivers want to drive during the day to avoid the danger of night. More competition. More down time. Rent a cab from the big cab companies and they'll squeeze you. Uber is probably better in that regard.
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
DRich
DRich
November 10th, 2016 at 4:01:33 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I drove a taxi for 4 years a long time ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed much. There is no cream. It's hard work. Difficult, demanding passengers. If you drive at night there is danger. Traffic is insane and gridlock can happen at any time. Tremendous wear and tear on your vehicle. Cops love to hassle you. Only thing that's good right now is gas is down in price. A lot of drivers want to drive during the day to avoid the danger of night. More competition. More down time. Rent a cab from the big cab companies and they'll squeeze you. Uber is probably better in that regard.

I don't know a lot about the taxi business other than what I hear from the drivers in Las Vegas. The two biggest complaints I hear is that you are not allowed to own or rent the cab, you are strictly an employee. The most common complaint I hear is that they are mandated to work 12 hour shifts. I have no idea how much a cab driver makes in salary and tips, but I know it is not a job I would ever want to do.
Order from chaos

• Jump to: