Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 19th, 2018 at 8:25:11 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

My business goes live next Monday. Many months of planning is ready to go. One of my partners is a doctor with doctor friends. He calls me this morning and wants me to put a quote together for a friend of his. I find out that this is a 13 million a month company and our cut would be 925k a month and would require 44 employees. My motto has always been, expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. In a way I hope this quote is just a friendly request and not a real request. Going from 3 employees to 47 would get interesting quickly.

Go for it, GWAE. Otherwise, why bother to partner with the MD, if not to get leads like that?

Fantastic opportunity. Hope it works out.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 19th, 2018 at 8:42:22 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Go for it, GWAE. Otherwise, why bother to partner with the MD, if not to get leads like that?
Fantastic opportunity. Hope it works out.

That's the spirit.
GWAE: If you go from 3 to 47.. just be sure to do it right. It will probably have to be quickly but be sure to do it right. 47 capable and competent reliable employees will be great for you, but one jerk that you hired under time pressure can foul thinks up.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
March 19th, 2018 at 10:27:58 PM permalink

My business goes live next Monday. Many months of planning is ready to go. One of my partners is a doctor with doctor friends. He calls me this morning and wants me to put a quote together for a friend of his. I find out that this is a 13 million a month company and our cut would be 925k a month and would require 44 employees. My motto has always been, expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. In a way I hope this quote is just a friendly request and not a real request. Going from 3 employees to 47 would get interesting quickly.

Where do I apply? I expect a corner office and a Chinese basketball.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 19th, 2018 at 11:33:46 PM permalink
Can you subcontract it out until you grow organic?
Planning a small business for months and suddenly being forced to grow like this is a recipe for disaster.
Stick to your plan.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
March 20th, 2018 at 1:53:04 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Can you subcontract it out until you grow organic?

Today, many companies are indeed 'virtual companies' with everything subcontracted out to short term, project workers. You no longer have someone who makes photocopies all day long you have a contractor who furnishes the services of a photocopy flunky.
Unfortunately I think medical billing seems to require a bit more skill than can be wisely contracted out.

Good luck either way.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 20th, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM permalink
Thanks all.. I was up until 2 am last night doing my proposal. This was my first proposal with new company so I had to do it all from scratch. At least now I have a template for future proposals. One if the parts of the proposal is something that we were not originally planning on doing. I could very well sub that out but if we did that then it would basically destroy profit so ce those companies charge a pretty large amount. I probably could do it for a few months while I built a team.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
March 20th, 2018 at 2:03:21 PM permalink

. I probably could do it for a few months while I built a team.

Good luck but watch out for that "probably". If you can't take time to eat and sleep you won't be accurate
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 20th, 2018 at 9:18:06 PM permalink
Be wise. Seems 99% certain it's too much, too big, too soon.
I am a robot.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 20th, 2018 at 11:03:24 PM permalink
What is this?

My guess:
An old wooden Parcheesi game board.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 20th, 2018 at 11:58:17 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

What is this?

My guess:

An old wooden Parcheesi game board.

Maybe it’s that one Canadian game.... Sorry!
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
March 21st, 2018 at 1:03:41 AM permalink

What is this?

...<SNIP>...

... [ picture of horsey-number board-thingy ] ...

I tried to cheat, and this is what Google Image Search told me:

Quote: The all-seeing all-knowing eternally infallible Google behind the curtain

Door

A moving mechanism used to block off and allow access to, an entrance to or within an enclosed space, such as a building, room or vehicle

But I kinda don't really think so.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 21st, 2018 at 5:30:45 AM permalink
I needed a plumber to unclog a pipe. Kitchen sink was backing up. The regular hand held 'snake' they use was not long/strong enough to free up the clog. They brought in a 40 foot industrial strength 'snake' which still took quite some time to open it up. They had to go to the basement to find a 'clean out' to go through. When it was finally unclogged 'sewer gas' came up that left a quite noticeable odor. What do plumbers call that stench? "The sweet smell of success!"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 21st, 2018 at 6:18:30 AM permalink
I used a hand held snake once and finally gave up on getting a clog out - I was getting blisters and sore muscles.

Watching the power snake do its job after also calling a plumber, it occurred to me that snake had more effect in a few seconds than the hand held would have in, say, 100-200 hours.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
March 21st, 2018 at 7:31:49 PM permalink
What do you call the brother of your daughter-in-law?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
March 21st, 2018 at 7:35:26 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Watching the power snake do its job after also calling a plumber, it occurred to me that snake had more effect in a few seconds than the hand held would have in, say, 100-200 hours.

How do you get a clog that bad? Where were you during the Deep Horizon situation? Coulda used your clogging super power.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
March 21st, 2018 at 8:05:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Howard.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 21st, 2018 at 9:21:30 PM permalink

I'd call him your second cousin by marriage (or once removed), probably be wrong, and still like billryans answer better.

Howard. Yeah, that works.
RS
RS
March 22nd, 2018 at 12:02:30 AM permalink

Wouldn’t that be your step son?

Daughter-in-law = step daughter, right?

Or rather, who is someone’s daughter in law? Sounds weird.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 22nd, 2018 at 5:10:41 AM permalink

How do you get a clog that bad? Where were you during the Deep Horizon situation? Coulda used your clogging super power.

It was a bathtub/shower drain ; the plumber thought it was hair combined with some sort of 'old pipe' situation that I couldnt exactly follow. Since you asked.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:01:45 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Wouldn’t that be your step son?

Or rather, who is someone’s daughter in law? Sounds weird.

No, Daughter-In-Law is woman that married your son.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 22nd, 2018 at 5:40:44 PM permalink

Maybe it’s that one Canadian game.... Sorry!

Quote: DrawingDead

What is this?

...<SNIP>...

... [ picture of horsey-number board-thingy ] ...

I tried to cheat, and this is what Google Image Search told me:
Quote: The all-seeing all-knowing eternally infallible Google behind the curtain

Door

A moving mechanism used to block off and allow access to, an entrance to or within an enclosed space, such as a building, room or vehicle

But I kinda don't really think so.

Thanks for the responses. I do not think it is a Sorry board. It is definitely not a "door", but it is hanging on a wall as a picture. :)
RS
RS
March 22nd, 2018 at 5:42:41 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

No, Daughter-In-Law is woman that married your son.

Touché.
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 66
March 22nd, 2018 at 9:57:21 PM permalink

A stepdaughter is your wife's daughter who is not your biological daughter. :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 23rd, 2018 at 1:31:48 AM permalink
now if somebody can explain what "removed" means in a way I can comprehend. As in "second cousin removed" ... I think I have looked it up and still went away unsure.
RS
RS
March 23rd, 2018 at 3:05:03 AM permalink

now if somebody can explain what "removed" means in a way I can comprehend. As in "second cousin removed" ... I think I have looked it up and still went away unsure.

Well a first cousin once removed is your parent’s cousin and/or your cousin’s kid.

A second cousin is your parent’s cousin’s kid. EG: Your kid and your first cousin’s kid are second-cousins to each other.

I would think a “second cousin once removed”, I think, would either be your parent’s cousin (since that’s your parent’s cousin’s kid’s parent) and/or your parent’s cousin’s great grand-kid.

BTW, life hack: I don’t trust people who know this kind of malarkey. I have to look it up and it still makes no damn sense.

TLDR: “removed” means one generation up or down, but there’s some weird order you gotta go to get there.

TIL if a pair of brothers bangs a pair of sisters and they have kids, then those kids are “double first cousins” to each other, because both kids have all the same grandparents as their cousin.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
March 23rd, 2018 at 3:11:33 AM permalink

To explain "second cousin removed" we have to know "how many times" removed. For example, if Billy the Kid is your second cousin five times removed, one of Billy's great-grandparents is your great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent. (The calculation is: 6 greats - 1 great = 5, which is the difference of your generations, or your removal.)

(And to be first cousins x times removed, the two of you share a closest common ancestor who is a grandparent of one of you.)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 23rd, 2018 at 6:53:55 AM permalink
A lot of these relatives are simpler to keep track of if, like me, you don't have many of them.

Both of my (now-deceased) parents and my wife were only children. I had two brothers. My older brother (now deceased) married twice but had no children. My younger brother married and divorced, having one daughter. I always refer to her as my favorite niece, which seems to amuse her. My wife and I had two sons, one of whom died without ever marrying (or having children) while the other is now finalizing a divorce without any children and has no interest in ever having any.

I have no aunts, no uncles, no first cousins, no sisters, no brothers-in-law, no nephews, no daughters, no (remaining) daughters-in-law, and no grandchildren. Each of my grandparents did have multiple siblings, so there are (were?) quite a few second cousins and such more-distant relatives, none of whom I have had any contact with in decades, and I can only remember a few of the names. I have no idea who among those distant branches is still alive or may have had children.

What I do have is a wife, a son, a brother, one (un-divorced but widowed) sister-in-law, and that favorite niece who just nine days ago had her second son. Her last name no longer matches mine, but she represents the only potential for continuation of the "family."

Not very many relatives for me to need to keep track of these days.
Nathan
Nathan 
March 23rd, 2018 at 7:30:23 AM permalink
Admins, is there a way you guys could create a Gambling Miscellaneous thread instead of a general Miscellaneous thread like this one? :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Doc
Doc
March 23rd, 2018 at 7:43:58 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Admins, is there a way you guys could create a Gambling Miscellaneous thread instead of a general Miscellaneous thread like this one? :)

I am not an admin, but you could start a "Gambling - Miscellaneous Discussion" thread yourself in one of the sub-areas under the "Gambling" Forum. This existing thread is in the "Off-topic" sub-area of the "Off-topic" forum, so it really is intended for these out-in-left-field discussions.

Don't feel too shy about starting a new thread.
Doc
Doc
March 23rd, 2018 at 8:06:40 AM permalink
And TigerWu just couldn't wait -- he already started your suggested new thread here.
GWAE
GWAE
March 23rd, 2018 at 8:58:14 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I am not an admin, but you could start a "Gambling - Miscellaneous Discussion" thread yourself in one of the sub-areas under the "Gambling" Forum. This existing thread is in the "Off-topic" sub-area of the "Off-topic" forum, so it really is intended for these out-in-left-field discussions.

Don't feel too shy about starting a new thread.

Lol at Nathan being to any to start a thread
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
March 23rd, 2018 at 7:08:14 PM permalink
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

Leaving the grocery store and before I can drive off, lady pulls up beside me. Starts telling me her grandson needs medicine, (there's a kid in child seat in the back), that she needs 4 gallons of gas to drive to her home in another city, and that she just came from the Veteran's hospital where her husband died hour and half ago.

Only problem is, this is third time I've run into this same lady with a hard luck story. It's becoming more elaborate. This time I notice she's driving more of a beater. Her last car was nicer.

So awaiting your divine advice.
billryan
billryan
March 23rd, 2018 at 8:28:45 PM permalink
The Great Buddha used to sit and beg for hours a day, even though his own needs were minimal. He did it because allowing people to help him made them feel good about themselves.
rxwine
rxwine
March 23rd, 2018 at 10:48:13 PM permalink

The Great Buddha used to sit and beg for hours a day, even though his own needs were minimal. He did it because allowing people to help him made them feel good about themselves.

I like your answer even though I didn't want to give her anything.

I am curious how much money she makes doing this. The second time I saw her there was another guy nearby who got the same pitch. The first thing he brought up was the same thing I noticed, was how nice a car she was driving.

Maybe that's why she switched to a more beat up one.
RS
RS
March 24th, 2018 at 1:04:55 AM permalink

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

Leaving the grocery store and before I can drive off, lady pulls up beside me. Starts telling me her grandson needs medicine, (there's a kid in child seat in the back), that she needs 4 gallons of gas to drive to her home in another city, and that she just came from the Veteran's hospital where her husband died hour and half ago.

Only problem is, this is third time I've run into this same lady with a hard luck story. It's becoming more elaborate. This time I notice she's driving more of a beater. Her last car was nicer.

Is calling the police an option?
Nathan
Nathan 
March 24th, 2018 at 1:20:11 AM permalink

Is calling the police an option?

:)
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 24th, 2018 at 2:06:09 AM permalink
Get her on the phone and I'll ask her some interesting question.
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
March 24th, 2018 at 5:30:21 AM permalink

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

God's sent you his angel three times now.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
March 24th, 2018 at 6:07:46 AM permalink
It is very simple.
Just like slow drivers in the left lane, pet killers, parents who let their brats scream, etc.
Just don't let your anger make you forget the first rule:
Make sure there are no witnesses.
GWAE
GWAE
March 24th, 2018 at 1:15:15 PM permalink
We just received another rate increase for our cable. We have 1 box and 1 dvr, basically standard channels and lowest internet. They raised our rate to 129 after taxes. It was 89 then 104, then 117 and now 129.

What does everyone use now other than traditional cable or sat?

Just internet would run about 40 a month so thinking if we pay 50 for other services that would be worth switching. We do still want basic channels, sports channels and a few others that we watch. I think most channels stream from their websites for free? Does anyone just do that?
rxwine
rxwine
March 24th, 2018 at 1:16:49 PM permalink

God's sent you his angel three times now.

Yeah, unfortunately, Satan sends hotter women.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 24th, 2018 at 1:23:26 PM permalink

We just received another rate increase for our cable. We have 1 box and 1 dvr, basically standard channels and lowest internet. They raised our rate to 129 after taxes. It was 89 then 104, then 117 and now 129.

Just internet would run about 40 a month so thinking if we pay 50 for other services that would be worth switching. We do still want basic channels, sports channels and a few others that we watch. I think most channels stream from their websites for free? Does anyone just do that?

Go look at DT. Several very detailed discussions there about antenna receivers, streaming services, other options. Lots of specifics as to prices and names.of providers.

I'm trying to.put together a cable alternate myself, so I found it an excellent resource, especially since Pacomartin is doing most of the suggeetions.and links.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
March 24th, 2018 at 1:59:35 PM permalink

If not for my GF I would only have internet. Somehow I'm paying 150 a month but that includes a security service as well. They always charge you more if you just want the internet.

There are many sites out there that have all movies and tv shows free. The TV shows come out within hours of their air times. Some of the popular movies can take a few weeks to come out. You have to deal with a few pop-ups at some sites( A Wizards voice: Are you a boy or a girl?), so that may not work for the kids.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
March 24th, 2018 at 2:53:08 PM permalink

Between Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, and Roku, we pay about $55 a month and that's more videos, TV shows, and movies than we can ever possibly have time to watch. Even if you just have a Roku, there's a TON of free (actual quality) stuff on there.

This is why I could never be a criminal or a con artist. I'm too lazy. It's just exponentially easier to get an actual job than pull some kind of con or crime. (Not to mention safer.)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 24th, 2018 at 5:32:37 PM permalink

Sling TV works well.

It’s cable TV channels, just streaming over the internet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
March 24th, 2018 at 5:32:39 PM permalink

Sling TV works well.

It’s cable TV channels, just streaming over the internet.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 24th, 2018 at 5:59:15 PM permalink
Roku is fine. I have a borrowed Netflix, Amazon prime. It is not as easy as a paid servIce, but benefit, you don't watch as much. I'm pretty much only watching curb your enthusiasm now because I've found it, like it. If I had cable or satellite , I'd watch something else.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
March 24th, 2018 at 7:28:36 PM permalink
One reason we haven't switched is because we really use our dvr a ton. With kids we only watch our type of programs after they go to bed. Without dvr I would miss a lot of 8pm shows.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
March 24th, 2018 at 7:36:57 PM permalink

One reason we haven't switched is because we really use our dvr a ton. With kids we only watch our type of programs after they go to bed. Without dvr I would miss a lot of 8pm shows.

You can DVR on Sling

Hulu and YouTube and Direct TV and PlayStation TV also have live TV streaming and DVR

But Hulu has been kinda bad in my experience. Haven’t tried the rest.
GWAE
GWAE
March 24th, 2018 at 8:02:30 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Go look at DT. Several very detailed discussions there about antenna receivers, streaming services, other options. Lots of specifics as to prices and names.of providers.

I'm trying to.put together a cable alternate myself, so I found it an excellent resource, especially since Pacomartin is doing most of the suggeetions.and links.

Can you help With a link. I looked on there but didn't see anything. Unless they are older posts and I didn't go back far enough.
  • Jump to: