Thread Rating:

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 44
February 1st, 2020 at 8:13:37 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I see so many people say, "I need GPS on my smart phone!" How the eff did these people get around before smart phones and GPS??? Did they just never leave the house or something?

I’ve never driven during a time where GPS wasn’t available.

I couldn’t get anywhere outside of work and the grocery store without it.

Could maybe find my way around with a paper road atlas but I’ve never tried.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 162
February 1st, 2020 at 9:45:05 AM permalink
GPS has saved me time and gas. Even locally, I didn't know exactly where a business was the other day, and it probably saved me a couple wrong turns in an area of town I wasn't familiar with.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 20
February 1st, 2020 at 1:11:03 PM permalink
I remember back in the days where you just called up a business and ask for directions to get there. Or just knew the address and looked at the maps in the phone book to get an idea of where it was and just drive to the general are and start looking.

Online maps are great but I'm definitely still a curmudgeon when it comes to GPS. Just look at a map before you leave and/or write down the directions. GPS just seems like an extra step to me.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
February 1st, 2020 at 3:29:33 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I’ve never driven during a time where GPS wasn’t available.

You must not drive much in big cities. I have problems with GPS is New York City and San Francisco. It is usually when surrounded by skyscrapers.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 150
February 2nd, 2020 at 4:39:26 AM permalink
please delete
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 2, 2020
"but I don't care too much for money..........money can't buy me love".............. the Beatles
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 159
February 2nd, 2020 at 7:02:14 AM permalink
I believe staying hydrated is every bit as important as your GPS is in safely negotiating the wild world.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 298
February 2nd, 2020 at 7:08:40 AM permalink
It's nuts not to have GPS today because there is no monthly charge, it is all free once you get some device to do it with
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 159
Thanks for this post from:
ForagerJoeman
February 2nd, 2020 at 7:14:06 AM permalink
Driving around lost and refusing to seek help is an American Male tradition.
GPS is for wussies.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 20
February 2nd, 2020 at 10:33:37 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

It's nuts not to have GPS today because there is no monthly charge, it is all free once you get some device to do it with

Well, that's another reason I don't use it... I don't have a device with free GPS.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 44
February 2nd, 2020 at 10:47:40 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

You must not drive much in big cities. I have problems with GPS is New York City and San Francisco. It is usually when surrounded by skyscrapers.

Google maps has worked fine for me in NYC and Philadelphia.

I think if when the GPS signal is weak it can still triangulate you with a cell signal.

• Jump to: