Thread Rating:

MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
September 6th, 2019 at 3:11:45 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

really, really, effed up - an American Airlines mechanic pissed off about his pay sabotaged an airplane
my last 7 years before retiring I worked at Dulles airport - ground crew - I worked with a lot of mechanics - I never met an irresponsible one - they were all dedicated pros -
the clown that did this deserves a long, long jail sentence

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/us/american-airlines-mechanic-sabotage.html

After seeing the guy's name it is no surprise. I'm thinking there might be more to this story.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 6th, 2019 at 6:01:29 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Local poker series is this week. Last night I played the $180 satellite where the top 10% got tickets to the $1100 and $600 tournaments. I barely scraped by but I managed to win a package. I had to win an all in and then get a shove through the blinds to survive.

Today I played the $600 tournament and soft bubbled finishing 28th of 195. Top 20 got paid. The bubble is the last person to finish outside of the money and the soft bubble is the next 5% or so. I busted when utg goes all in, a player then moves all in for more and in the big blind I look down at two aces. I obviously call all in and I am way ahead of the first players jacks and the other guys kings. Jacks makes a runner runner straight on the turn and river and that is all she wrote for me. If I win the hand I would have had an average stack with 27 left. I was 67% to win the hand preflop and 81% after the Q83 rainbow flop. I wasn't upset because I think that I played my "A" game for 8 hours. I am not playing the $300 bounty tourny tomorrow because the structure sucks so I will play the main event at noon on Saturday.

That's what makes poker so tough/frustrsting/fun. You play great for 8 hours and 1 unlucky moment ends it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
September 6th, 2019 at 6:22:34 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Local poker series is this week. Last night I played the $180 satellite where the top 10% got tickets to the $1100 and $600 tournaments. I barely scraped by but I managed to win a package. I had to win an all in and then get a shove through the blinds to survive.

Today I played the $600 tournament and soft bubbled finishing 28th of 195. Top 20 got paid. The bubble is the last person to finish outside of the money and the soft bubble is the next 5% or so. I busted when utg goes all in, a player then moves all in for more and in the big blind I look down at two aces. I obviously call all in and I am way ahead of the first players jacks and the other guys kings. Jacks makes a runner runner straight on the turn and river and that is all she wrote for me. If I win the hand I would have had an average stack with 27 left. I was 67% to win the hand preflop and 81% after the Q83 rainbow flop. I wasn't upset because I think that I played my "A" game for 8 hours. I am not playing the $300 bounty tourny tomorrow because the structure sucks so I will play the main event at noon on Saturday.

Everyone loves a bad beat story . . . (-:
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 74
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
September 6th, 2019 at 6:47:54 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

After seeing the guy's name it is no surprise. I'm thinking there might be more to this story.

I don't know if I agree with that, but his name will hurt him if this proceeds to a trial.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
September 6th, 2019 at 8:25:27 AM permalink
As I post this, the CNN web site has headlines saying that (1) "Hurricane Dorian makes landfall at Cape Hatteras" and that (2) "Bahamian official warns people to prepare for the 'unimaginable'. "

I am in the same state as Cape Hatteras but well to the west (Charlottte area). Yesterday, we had cloudy skies and some mild winds. Today it is calm and sunny.

Also today, I received email from Delta Airlines inviting me to place a bid (using frequent flyer miles) on a "custom five-night curated experience in Nassau, Bahamas, complete with boat rides to an exclusive island, tropical libations beachside and a day of water sports." Here are some of the details of what they are offering:
This Rosewood Baha Mar Experience package includes:

*A five (5) night stay for two (2) guests at Rosewood Baha Mar, in an Ocean View King Studio in Nassau, The Bahamas
Roundtrip airport transfers for two (2) to and from Rosewood Baha Mar
Long Cay Island Experience for two (2) on any day of stay based on availability
Take a short boat ride to an exclusive island, where you will be greeted with libations and enjoy a picnic lunch and non-motorized water sports

Indulge in this custom curated 5-night getaway experience in The Bahamas at a stunning destination, where you'll enjoy an Ocean View Studio, an exclusive island adventure and unforgettable memories at Rosewood's Baha Mar.

Immerse yourself in a trip that combines the unique and natural beauty of The Bahamas, with elegance and indulgence of a 5-star hotel.

Does anyone else think that promotion might be poorly timed? Is the host resort even standing now?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 74
September 6th, 2019 at 8:27:33 AM permalink
Do you get offers like that very often from Delta? I have never received anything like that and I fly them regularly.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 7
September 6th, 2019 at 8:50:51 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

... "custom five-night curated experience in Nassau, Bahamas...Is the host resort even standing now?

Time magazine says, "The Bahamas’ southern islands, including its capital, Nassau, were not affected by the storm."

See https://time.com/5669725/bahamas-after-hurricane-dorian/.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
September 6th, 2019 at 8:52:06 AM permalink

Does anyone else think that promotion might be poorly timed? Is the host resort even standing now?

Yes, poorly timed. However, Nassau is about 100 miles south of Grand Bahama Island. I believe it only received TS force winds from Dorian, not hurricane force., and did not receive nearly the decimating damage that GBI and the Abacos did. The resorts on Nassau might need a little clean-up/repair, but I would bet they are still there.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 22
September 6th, 2019 at 8:52:25 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Everyone loves a bad beat story . . . (-:

It wasn’t meant that way lol. I have had people tell me I should post more poker content so I figured I would post a bit from this series. I had to run really good to win the satty so running bad in the $600 is just the other side of variance.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
September 6th, 2019 at 9:10:31 AM permalink

As I post this, the CNN web site has headlines saying that (1) "Hurricane Dorian makes landfall at Cape Hatteras" and that (2) "Bahamian official warns people to prepare for the 'unimaginable'. "

I am in the same state as Cape Hatteras but well to the west (Charlottte area). Yesterday, we had cloudy skies and some mild winds. Today it is calm and sunny.

Also today, I received email from Delta Airlines inviting me to place a bid (using frequent flyer miles) on a "custom five-night curated experience in Nassau, Bahamas, complete with boat rides to an exclusive island, tropical libations beachside and a day of water sports." Here are some of the details of what they are offering:

This Rosewood Baha Mar Experience package includes:

*A five (5) night stay for two (2) guests at Rosewood Baha Mar, in an Ocean View King Studio in Nassau, The Bahamas
Roundtrip airport transfers for two (2) to and from Rosewood Baha Mar
Long Cay Island Experience for two (2) on any day of stay based on availability
Take a short boat ride to an exclusive island, where you will be greeted with libations and enjoy a picnic lunch and non-motorized water sports

Indulge in this custom curated 5-night getaway experience in The Bahamas at a stunning destination, where you'll enjoy an Ocean View Studio, an exclusive island adventure and unforgettable memories at Rosewood's Baha Mar.

Immerse yourself in a trip that combines the unique and natural beauty of The Bahamas, with elegance and indulgence of a 5-star hotel.

I would think the Bahamas could use your tourist dollars more now than ever before.

Nassau did not take any significant damage. I would guess that the timing would depress the price needed in a bid to secure it. And since most islands are independently run as to electricity/water/services, your should have a very nice trip. Go for it!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: