Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 2nd, 2019 at 12:34:42 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

these are the 20 most stolen cars from 2016

Have to throw the flag on this one.

There's maybe 30k Hellcats TOTAL as of right now. Can pretty much halve it for 2016. And it's "the most stolen "?

There's a million Civics and probably a billion Camrys. Every Taco/ Hilux that's ever been made is still running. Ah, but it's the Infinity that's being taken?

Maybe I should've read the article. But the title is false. Ain't no way
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 150
August 2nd, 2019 at 1:12:46 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Have to throw the flag on this one.

There's maybe 30k Hellcats TOTAL as of right now. Can pretty much halve it for 2016. And it's "the most stolen "?

There's a million Civics and probably a billion Camrys. Every Taco/ Hilux that's ever been made is still running. Ah, but it's the Infinity that's being taken?

Maybe I should've read the article. But the title is false. Ain't no way

I made a mistake in my OP - it's not 2016 - it's the model year 2016-2018
don't know if that makes a difference in your assessment
I think what motivates the thieves is if they think they can get much better money for the car - not how easy it is to find & steal
"but I don't care too much for money..........money can't buy me love".............. the Beatles
michael99000
michael99000 
  • Threads: 9
August 2nd, 2019 at 1:34:21 PM permalink
They have phone apps now that will tell you exactly where you parked your car. Mainly helpful for people who forget where they parked at the mall or stadium.

Iím surprised there isnít apps that can tell you the exact coordinates your car is at all the time. Even if itís moving.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 162
August 2nd, 2019 at 2:09:03 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

T
Iím surprised there isnít apps that can tell you the exact coordinates your car is at all the time. Even if itís moving.

That is built-in now. Well, at least my car came with ON-Star, crash notification. You crash, it sends out a signal that you did and where you are.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 2nd, 2019 at 3:13:37 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I made a mistake in my OP - it's not 2016 - it's the model year 2016-2018
don't know if that makes a difference in your assessment

I remember Wiz pitched a fit aboot this exact thing years ago. Something aboot either a poor application of statistics or misleading wording. I think specifically it was a stat that showed "cars that, by percentage of stolen v produced, were stolen most often" and was used as "these are the most stolen cars".

Hellcats come aboot 9,000 per year. There's 15k Camrys stolen every year. Divvy that up among model years and that's (very roughly) near aboot a thousand each per model years.

And Hellcat loses more? More than 1 stolen for every 9 produced?

Just seems off.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 159
August 2nd, 2019 at 4:46:04 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I remember Wiz pitched a fit aboot this exact thing years ago. Something aboot either a poor application of statistics or misleading wording. I think specifically it was a stat that showed "cars that, by percentage of stolen v produced, were stolen most often" and was used as "these are the most stolen cars".

Hellcats come aboot 9,000 per year. There's 15k Camrys stolen every year. Divvy that up among model years and that's (very roughly) near aboot a thousand each per model years.

And Hellcat loses more? More than 1 stolen for every 9 produced?

Just seems off.

I read it as the car most likely to be stolen. If you own a Hellcat, and your wife owns a Camry, your car is more likely to be stolen. It doesn't mean more Hellcats are stolen than Camrys, it means Hellcats are more likely to be stolen than a Camry owner.
Let's say 900 are stolen. That puts the chance of your car being stolen at ten percent. 15,000 Camry stolen out of a half million sold means the chances your car are stolen are much lower.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 162
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:28:33 PM permalink
If I'm going risk spending some time in jail for car theft, 99 times out of a 100 it'd be a Hellcat over a Camry. Heck, if my grandma wanted a grocery getter, I'd probably still take the Hellcat.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:33:37 PM permalink
A couple decades or so ago I read, it may have been a chevy Caprice, or maybe some Toyota model ? But the reason given was the most parts on the vehicle were the most interchangeable with other makes and models.

Send one of the to a chop shop and it's dismantled in a few hours and the parts go onto many different vehicles.

You waylay a Hemi, not much you can do with it besides shred tires.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 159
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:46:33 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

A couple decades or so ago I read, it may have been a chevy Caprice, or maybe some Toyota model ? But the reason given was the most parts on the vehicle were the most interchangeable with other makes and models.

Send one of the to a chop shop and it's dismantled in a few hours and the parts go onto many different vehicles.

You waylay a Hemi, not much you can do with it besides shred tires.

In the Middle East, they sell for six figures, no questions asked.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff 
  • Threads: 264
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:49:33 PM permalink
high-end vehicles are often driven to a place where they are examined for factory gps trackers as well as after-market gps trackers, particularly those installed by law enforcement and disguised as a normal part of the underside devices. A raspberry pi can be used to detect ordinary bumper beepers.

• Jump to: