Thread Rating:

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 1st, 2014 at 5:17:25 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Some dude once compared the Kingdom of Heaven to a mustard seed. He made other comparisons you might not think dignified. Granted, he did get crucified eventually.

Oh my god, now you're comparing yourself to............?!?!?

Geez, I can't even finish the statement because it's so ridiculous.

Fighting BS one post at a time!
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
February 1st, 2014 at 10:04:45 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Likewise if I walk across the yard tomorrow and squash a viable acorn, I didn't kill a mighty oak. Nor is it the same as killing 200 hundred year old tree for every acorn I crush.

Tell this to an Ent and you might get a different response.

Or just change your example to something that we all value a little more than a mighty oak. If you walk across the yard today and squash a little kitten you didn't see, you did indeed kill an innocent little cat and would feel awful.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 1st, 2014 at 11:09:27 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Most people don't seem to mind the government peering into their bedrooms and certainly don't mind it peering into someone else's bedroom.

We speak of the right of privacy but rarely honor it in practice.

Obviously it must be mentioned since it's the basis for the compromise for Roe.
I am a robot.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
May 7th, 2019 at 6:57:32 AM permalink
11 year old gets raped
Very Very serious and heinous crime
Juan Leon-Gomez has been arrested and being held on 1 million bond
Little Girl is just 11 years old but due to Ohio Law, she is forced to carry the child to birth even though she was raped
That's F**ked up

https://buckeyestate.news/2019/05/03/police-ohio-man-raped-11-year-old-who-is-now-pregnant/?fbclid=IwAR3hjX7l8njphXSAVl740Bs-3f4FKL3Jx_UsHJG5WpfSq5pHoo2iU_aO_U8&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
May 7th, 2019 at 7:31:21 AM permalink
Without taking a position on pro-life/pro-choice, I have the following question:

When people are pro-life but make an exception for "incest or rape", to me, their argument that they are pro-life goes out the window as, if the fetus is considered a life, why should it matter to them the circumstances of conception? a life is a life is a life, right?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 7th, 2019 at 9:33:18 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Without taking a position on pro-life/pro-choice, I have the following question:

When people are pro-life but make an exception for "incest or rape", to me, their argument that they are pro-life goes out the window as, if the fetus is considered a life, why should it matter to them the circumstances of conception? a life is a life is a life, right?

Right. This is how the situation riling up Terapined comes about. There are two innocent victims, the rape victim and the fetus. Who advocates for the life of the fetus?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 22
May 7th, 2019 at 9:55:20 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

That's why "pro-life" and "pro-choice" are stupid terms. They're too black and white and are not even complementary. Someone can be "pro-life" in that they would never get an abortion or hurt another living creature, but they can also be "pro-choice" in that they would never tell someone else what they should do with their body.

As far as an 11 year old getting pregnant, that can't be good physically for either the girl or the baby/fetus, and definitely not good for the girl mentally. It would seem an abortion in that case is the lesser of two evils, rather than ruin an 11 year old's life and then throw another child that nobody asked for into the welfare system.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
May 7th, 2019 at 10:02:04 AM permalink
Ok, here's how it is;

Without revealing my opinion on the issue (which I know is the right one), the bottom line is this:

Attention pro-life/anti abortion folks- YOU LOST, and that was 46 years ago ! Move on and find a current issue to take a side on.
The best things in life are not free.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 7th, 2019 at 10:38:40 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

That's why "pro-life" and "pro-choice" are stupid terms. They're too black and white and are not even complementary. Someone can be "pro-life" in that they would never get an abortion or hurt another living creature, but they can also be "pro-choice" in that they would never tell someone else what they should do with their body.

As far as an 11 year old getting pregnant, that can't be good physically for either the girl or the baby/fetus, and definitely not good for the girl mentally. It would seem an abortion in that case is the lesser of two evils, rather than ruin an 11 year old's life and then throw another child that nobody asked for into the welfare system.

I think it comes down to what value do we, as the law makers, place on human life? A pregnant 11 year-old may face mental/emotional challenges as well as for sure physical risk carrying to term, but is it "better" to end the life of a child that is technically half hers? Who advocates for the rights of the fetus? It's not the fetus' fault for being conceived. Why should they have to die for the crimes of another?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 175
Thanks for this post from:
ams288tringlomane
May 7th, 2019 at 10:49:59 AM permalink
(Taking the Catholic view- it's a human at conception with standard rights)

Iran has captured 100 hostages. All frozen fertilized eggs kept in a difficult to enter military installation. Would you risk the lives of a rescue team to get them out in a military operation?
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.

• Jump to: