98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 15th, 2013 at 12:38:53 PM permalink
This youtube video has some rather amazing footage. Note as the clip first begins, the spec in upper center, and see the tail form and eventual detonation. Brightness and shadow effects visible later on. Time 1min 24secs.

I'd be a little nervous if I were the person in the first segent, no doubt an oh shit moment there.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
February 15th, 2013 at 12:43:32 PM permalink
The first video I saw last night was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZxXYscmgRg&feature=player_embedded

Looks like the same meteor event, I just don't know why the dash cam reads "31-12-2012." Imagine inadvertently filming the biggest news story in your region ever, and your car's calendar/clock was off by 2.5 months.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
February 15th, 2013 at 12:43:39 PM permalink
I saw some of this footage this morning. That is sick, the sky is literally on fire.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
98Clubs
98Clubs
February 15th, 2013 at 12:53:04 PM permalink
I posted this over at DT about 715AM Forum time (views 700k) with some math. Yield about 7000 metric tones TNT, with shockwave zone about 30km diameter. Only the 12km (7 mi) altitude saved people... had it exploded at say 1km to 1 mile high, there would be a numbers of deaths. When I posted link here views almost 4 million.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 15th, 2013 at 12:59:51 PM permalink
There must be a reason Russians seem to drive around with dashboard cams on all the time. The number of videos of crazy Russian drivers from dashboard cams on youtube seems very high...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
98Clubs
98Clubs
February 15th, 2013 at 1:03:50 PM permalink
Its for Insurance purposes, Commrade. Much like taking pictures AFTER the accident here.
sodawater
sodawater
February 15th, 2013 at 1:04:33 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

There must be a reason Russians seem to drive around with dashboard cams on all the time. The number of videos of crazy Russian drivers from dashboard cams on youtube seems very high...

http://jalopnik.com/why-russians-are-obsessed-with-dash-cams-5918159
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 15th, 2013 at 1:19:06 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Thanks! Today is not a write off, I learned something ;)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 15th, 2013 at 1:30:46 PM permalink
I only know one person who's visited Russia and
he was terrified the whole time he was there
because he was an American. He had been
warned so many times of where to go and how
to act that he was too afraid to leave his hotel
room most of the time. I'm always hearing the
Russian Mafia in NY is brutal, double digit IQ
morons who'll kill you over a misunderstanding.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
February 15th, 2013 at 2:07:34 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

I posted this over at DT about 715AM Forum time (views 700k) with some math. Yield about 7000 metric tones TNT, with shockwave zone about 30km diameter. Only the 12km (7 mi) altitude saved people... had it exploded at say 1km to 1 mile high, there would be a numbers of deaths. When I posted link here views almost 4 million.

Would it be easier to pull-off a crippling successful first strike nuclear attack, or covertly try to divert one of these high velocity space objects towards your target?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 15th, 2013 at 2:42:09 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Would it be easier to pull-off a crippling successful first strike nuclear attack, or covertly try to divert one of these high velocity space objects towards your target?

The first is highly unlikely, assuming you meana dissarming first strike (crippling is taken for granted). The latter is impossible with today's technology.

It would also accomplish very little. I suppose the other side would not realize it was attacked, but chalk it up to bad luck in the cosmic pinball game we call the Solar System.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
February 15th, 2013 at 4:23:48 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Considering that neither Russia, the U.S. nor anyone else, despite all the satellites, radars, etc., noticed the incoming, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility when it comes to space.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 15th, 2013 at 4:26:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

because he was an American. He had been
warned so many times of where to go and how
to act that he was too afraid to leave his hotel
room most of the time. I'm always hearing the
Russian Mafia in NY is brutal, double digit IQ
morons who'll kill you over a misunderstanding.

I visited Russia about 10 years ago. Moscow and St. Petersburg and a cruise between the two. I never felt unsafe walking around anywhere in Russia. Certainly safer than a sketchy area of any major US city.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 15th, 2013 at 4:34:42 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I visited Russia about 10 years ago. Moscow and St. Petersburg and a cruise between the two. I never felt unsafe walking around anywhere in Russia. Certainly safer than a sketchy area of any major US city.

I was in both those cities in 1986, when it was still the USSR. No crimes to report from me either.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 15th, 2013 at 6:21:11 PM permalink
All morons have double digit IQs. 100 is normal.

Spectacular!!!. When I first heard it on the radio, I thought they were referring to the the larger asteroid that passed within 17,000 miles of the planet earlier today.

All of these near-earth asteriods are just time bombs ready to screw with our civilization.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 15th, 2013 at 6:40:34 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

All of these near-earth asteriods are just time bombs ready to screw with our civilization.

Good thing 70% of the earth is water and 50% of
the land is wilderness where almost nobody lives.
What are the odds of hitting a populated area.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/dec2002/2002-12-05-06.asp
sodawater
sodawater
February 15th, 2013 at 6:42:49 PM permalink

Good thing 70% of the earth is water and 50% of
the land is wilderness where almost nobody lives.
What are the odds of hitting a populated area.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/dec2002/2002-12-05-06.asp

if it's big enough it doesn't matter where it hits.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 15th, 2013 at 7:16:38 PM permalink

My guess is that they are like most cities. If you go to a seedy bar you find trouble. If you act out of place you find trouble. If you behave and stay away from trouble you will be fine. But always, "know before you go."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 16th, 2013 at 1:50:14 AM permalink

Sodawater posted this about Russians and dash-cams.

Don't miss this video that it links to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1jmaRprrk

or this one:

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2013 at 5:35:29 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Considering that neither Russia, the U.S. nor anyone else, despite all the satellites, radars, etc., noticed the incoming, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility when it comes to space.

Actually a European satellite saw the rock entering the atmosphere. But weather and other science observation sats are not monitored as a high priority by anyone.

But more important, no one currently has the technology to divert a meteorite, much less aiming it precisely enough to hit a particular continent (and don't even think of a particular city!) Any probe big enough (to hold a lot of fuel) to try dong that would be noticed if anyone were watching.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
February 16th, 2013 at 6:30:25 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Actually a European satellite saw the rock entering the atmosphere. But weather and other science observation sats are not monitored as a high priority by anyone.

But more important, no one currently has the technology to divert a meteorite, much less aiming it precisely enough to hit a particular continent (and don't even think of a particular city!) Any probe big enough (to hold a lot of fuel) to try dong that would be noticed if anyone were watching.

We can't even tow a cruise ship back to port in a reasonable time let alone do anything with a meteor.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
February 16th, 2013 at 7:37:39 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Today's story says NASA put it at 32 miles altitude when it blew up, and with the force of 30 Hiroshima bombs.

I would hate to be in a passenger jet under that air space. (unless we lived, then it might be okay, but it doesn't sound like being 7 miles or so closer to it would be a good idea.)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Nareed
Nareed
February 16th, 2013 at 7:46:03 PM permalink
This is worth re-posting here:

I'm not one to panic or overestimate threats. But I think it's high time NASA, ESA, an whatever the Russian and Chinese call their space agencies, to get together and seriously plan a system to 1) detect near Earth asteroids and 2) work out the means to divert them.

The Russian meteor was, in the overall scheme of things, very very minor. But later the same day a much bigger rock passed under 30,000 km from the Earth's surface. That's a near miss. If that asteroid had hit, we would all be huddling for warmth and out hunting for food. And if it hit on the ocean (and there's a lot more ocean than land in this planet we call home), many coastal areas would have been wiped out. Not destroyed. Wiped out. The tsunami produced by such an impact, would make the 06 Asian tsunami look like nothing much.

Oh, any dependable system for deflecting large asteroids would perforce include posting some small nuclear weapons in orbit. Get used to it. There is no way around it, and it's not at all dangerous if some sensible precautions are taken (such as disarming the nuke if it enters the atmosphere).
sodawater
sodawater
February 16th, 2013 at 9:41:36 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

This is worth re-posting here:

I'm not one to panic or overestimate threats. But I think it's high time NASA, ESA, an whatever the Russian and Chinese call their space agencies, to get together and seriously plan a system to 1) detect near Earth asteroids and 2) work out the means to divert them.

The Russian meteor was, in the overall scheme of things, very very minor. But later the same day a much bigger rock passed under 30,000 km from the Earth's surface. That's a near miss. If that asteroid had hit, we would all be huddling for warmth and out hunting for food. And if it hit on the ocean (and there's a lot more ocean than land in this planet we call home), many coastal areas would have been wiped out. Not destroyed. Wiped out. The tsunami produced by such an impact, would make the 06 Asian tsunami look like nothing much.

Oh, any dependable system for deflecting large asteroids would perforce include posting some small nuclear weapons in orbit. Get used to it. There is no way around it, and it's not at all dangerous if some sensible precautions are taken (such as disarming the nuke if it enters the atmosphere).

This is one of the most mis-informed posts I have ever seen. I am not going to even bother refuting most of it, but you or whoever wrote this is vastly overstating the size of the asteroid that missed on Friday.

2012 DA14, the one that missed on Friday, was only 50 meters wide. It would have exploded with enough force to destroy maybe half of manhattan, if it had hit there. Of course, the earth is gigantic, and the chances it would hit a densely populated area are very slim.

If it had hit in an ocean, nothing would have happened. It was way too small to cause a tsunami.

2012 DA14 would have produced a blast of about 3.5 megatons. Both the US and the USSR tested nuclear bombs way, way, way bigger than that. The Tsar Bomba was over 50 megatons.

You are confusing this 50-meter asteroid with maybe a 50-kilometer asteroid.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 17th, 2013 at 1:49:51 AM permalink

if it's big enough it doesn't matter where it hits.

In a universe this big, 'if' is a miniscule word.

Ponder this. Most fiction, books, movies, TV,
whatever, rely heavily on coincidences. Its
what creates the plot line, what keeps it going.
Dickens was a master at the art of coincidence.

Yet in real life, those kinds of coincidences are
extremely rare. I still live in the area where I
went to high school, yet I rarely run into anybody
I know. A few times a year maybe. But books
and movies are chock full of them.

The universe is a very random place, even down
to your daily life. The chances of a meteor striking
the earth and changing our daily lives is so tiny its
incalculable. I'll take that bet..
sodawater
sodawater
February 17th, 2013 at 1:53:20 AM permalink
Yes, I totally agree.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 17th, 2013 at 5:24:13 AM permalink

because he was an American.

At one point Columbia South American and Russia were the most violent countries on Earth not at war.

The Institute for Economics and Peace released the sixth edition of their annual Global Peace Index (covering 2011). The report examines 158 third-world, developing and developed nations around the world based on 23 separate indicators that, combined, measure the relative level of internal and external conflict in a country. Here is the ranking of the most violent:
10) Pakistan
9) Israel
8) Central African Republic
7) North Korea
6) Russia ="very little control over corruption make Russia one of the most corrupt countries in the world"
5) Democratic Republic of the Congo
4) Iraq
3) Sudan
2) Afghanistan
1) Somalia

The Most Peaceful ten include 7/10 as small countries in Europe

10) Switzerland
9) Finland
8) Slovenia
7) Ireland
6) Austria
5) Japan
4) Canada
3) New Zealand (tied for 2nd)
2) Denmark (tied for 2nd)
1) Iceland
Best scores on the homicide rate, imports of major conventional weapons and the likelihood of violent demonstrations. The country has no standing army, and military expenses total just over 1% of GDP.
Nareed
Nareed
February 17th, 2013 at 7:46:09 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

At one point Columbia South American

Again?

ColUmbia is the name of the district where Washington, Dsitrict of ColUmbia is located. Also it's the name of a NASA shuttle killed, along with her entire crew, by bureaucratic incompetence and stupidity.

ColOmbia is a country in South America.

Of course, this response is completely irrelevant to your point.
AndyGB
AndyGB
  • Threads: 18
February 17th, 2013 at 10:18:41 PM permalink

because he was an American.

I've been to Russia a few times in the past 5 years, Western Russia and a short visit to Siberia (never to Chelyabinsk). My company sends a few hundred travelers there each year. Is it dangerous? Sure, it can be, like New York or Las Vegas or Peoria or anywhere. If you're smart and careful though, to the same degree you'd be anywhere, it is a great place to visit. And it's full of Russian people who as a rule are among the most friendly and welcoming to travelers, in the world.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 18th, 2013 at 12:42:04 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

6) Russia ="very little control over corruption make Russia one of the most corrupt countries in the world"

What they mean is zero control over corruption. And
they're exporting it here. Oh boy.

We had the same thing with the Mafia in the first
70 years of the 20th century.
  • Jump to: