TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2012 at 8:46:40 AM permalink
So where I work, we're allotted 12 "sick" days per year and 10 "vacation" (to start, once your here 5 years, you go to 15 vacay, then at 10 years, it goes to 20 days, etc)
My boss(s) get very angry at me because I use a sick day once a month (I would assume they allotted 12 because 12 months).
What makes them angrier is that I the sick time on monday or friday (usually) because, the way I look at it, I push through the week if I'm sick, so I can rest up a solid 3 days before coming back...
Now, I work 252 days per year (everyday except Goverment Holidays; I work for the state)

What say you? Excessive Absenteeism...or just using my allotted time?
A LOT of people I work with have HUGE amounts of sick time on the books...basically, they're losing it...because once they leave this company, they don't cash out the sick time, it just get absorbed back into the company...
ie: My boss...she has been here 9 years and CURRENTLY has 72 sick days on the books...so basically she didn't take ONE SICK DAY in SIX YEARS
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
December 11th, 2012 at 8:57:35 AM permalink
They're angry because they believe you're using sick time as "time off," not when you're sick.

I never viewed sick time as "something to be taken or lost" if I were not sick. I viewed it as something that is there IF needed for sickness.

This is how it works:
Vacation time = time off for yourself, regardless of health.
Sick time = time off only IF you are sick, and NOT if you're well.

I've worked many months in a row straight if I were not sick, BECAUSE I was not sick. Each year we got six sick days, and one year I called in sick once. Did I "lose" five days off? No - because I wasn't sick. I never viewed it as extra free time off or "free time lost," if I'm well enough to work. Some places require doctor's notes, and I agree with that. It doesn't matter if other people used more time off, or if they abuse the system. It matters what I do.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
December 11th, 2012 at 9:07:56 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

It matters what I do.

CORRECT!
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
  • Threads: 14
December 11th, 2012 at 9:07:56 AM permalink
Many companies open an HR "inquiry" if you use more than four or so sick days a year.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
December 11th, 2012 at 9:15:44 AM permalink
Some companies present it as "There are NO sick days UNLESS you are sick," and clearly so. If a worker is out because of major surgery, he may be given a lot of time without problem. If someone blows off a day of work with a false sick call-in, he may be in deep trouble.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
December 11th, 2012 at 9:16:26 AM permalink
Wow, for a change I actually agree with Dan. My belief is that sick time (or is sometime described as 'wellness time') is to be used for actual illness or if the employer allows for it, care for sick dependents or for medical appointments. I think a doctors excuse is a little overboard unless the sick time is being abused.

My former employer changed their policy to recategorize sick time and vaction time together as 'Paid Time Off'. This was to be used for any employee requested time off (did not include jury duty, military service, or bereavement). I felt this was a much better system as it eliminated the need to state why one was requesting time off and didn't put the employer in the uncomfortable (and time consuming) position of questioning the reason for the time away from work.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
December 11th, 2012 at 9:18:17 AM permalink
So in my staying under my allotted PTO (as someone put it), I'm abusing it, correct?
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
  • Threads: 14
December 11th, 2012 at 9:22:16 AM permalink
The problem with getting rid of sick days and going to PTO only is that it encourages people to come in to work when they actually are sick. Since the PTO could be used for vacation why waste a day of it when you are at home sick.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 11th, 2012 at 9:24:10 AM permalink
On the books, while an employee is allowed x number of sick days a year, it is not budgeted that way.

Vacation days are budgeted with the assumption that everyone takes vacation, AND that can be easily calculated. It is accrued as an expense, as a matter of fact, and vacation untaken remains as a accrued liability on the books until taken.

Sick days are also budgeted but there is no accrual going on as the sick "expense" is taken as it occurs. Most companies will budget their sick time according to actual sick time taken. This is usually around 2-3% of budget (5-7 sick days per year per employee, depending on the industry).

While you are allowed x number of sick days, generally the employer expects that they are only to be taken if you are sick, not as a free "mental health" day that you take every month.

As for me who rarely gets sick, I take a "mental health" day every quarter, and it is truly a mental health day, spent at home, relaxing. I usually take it mid-week as well and tailor it to the activities going on at work, so that if the week is scheduled to be light, I can get away with taking off a day and it being non-billable with negligible impact to the client.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 125
December 11th, 2012 at 9:36:14 AM permalink
Yes, an HR question! (my occupation)

You are abusing the sick day policy. The 12 days is there as a courtesy in case something major happens. If everyone took the 12 days, they wouldn't give everyone 12 days anymore. Also, 12 days is way above market average. And especially using it on a monday/friday, just is pretty much rubbing it in their face that you are not sick. If I was HR in this case, I would require that you bring a doctor's note every time you are sick.

Basically what you should do is use the sick days when you're not feeling 100%, and use them mid-week sometimes. I have a cold right now, and if I had 12 sick days, I'd probably have used it today. But since I have PTO (and a decent amount of work to do), I'm sticking it out.

• Jump to: