pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 22nd, 2012 at 8:41:58 PM permalink
BBC: Could legalising marijuana save the US economy?
Produced for the BBC by David Eckenrode.

OPINION OF AUTHOR: A world that welcomes cannabis, is going to be a more prosperous, and more peaceful; especially when you take organized crime out of the picture.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 22nd, 2012 at 8:53:47 PM permalink
No.

It'll help, sure, among myriad other reasons to legalize it. But the economy's problems run too deep for anything to "fix" it. It'll be a slow climb at best, and even that'll take a lot more than some magic bullet like this, or even a budget overhaul.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 22nd, 2012 at 8:55:37 PM permalink
In all rural areas of BC, Washington, Oregon and northern California, Marijuana is the economy and has been for decades.

Marijuana interdiction squads are much hated in an otherwise law and order oriented community, citizens band radio waves come alive as law enforcement convoys travel rural roads, local commerce is oriented towards harvest time payments on accounts.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 126
August 22nd, 2012 at 9:04:19 PM permalink
Tax. The. Hell. Out. Of. It.

Keep independent growing of marijuana illegal, stiffen the penalties, triple them.

It's America's second largest cash crop, and that's with it being illegal. The Government revenue stream would be tremendous, every level of Government would get a huge piece of it. Would it fix everything, no, but it would help.

I'll take a pack of Two-Toke Menthol Light 100's in a box, please!

Oh, wait, you can't advertise cigarettes as Lights, anymore...

I haven't smoked of the reefer in over seven years, but I'd fire one up if it were legalized. I literally mean one. I don't actually like marijuana, but I'd have to do it once, legally.
Vultures can't be choosers.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
August 22nd, 2012 at 9:04:31 PM permalink
The mass majority of quality bud in Seattle is already home grown and sold either through the dispensaries or through the "black market". Our medical law allows you to grow your own (way too much) and doesn't really keep track of where it goes. Sometimes you'll get something from Vancouver, BC - but seriously nine times out of ten it's grown locally.

There is no organized crime involved and hasn't been for at least the past 6-8 years, probably longer but I don't have personal knowledge before then.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
August 23rd, 2012 at 6:14:26 AM permalink
Why do people think that if you legalize it then the indie grower is just going to stop? I'm not totally convinced they will, and I think that with the level of tax the government would pile on the profit level would still be there. I agree it would hurt Mexican O.C. in that it would not be as easy to stuff the channel with low-grade product when you could get legal stuff elsewhere without worrying about getting killed. But the small-time grower who prides himself on a quality product may well just keep growing.

One thing to remember is a pot smoker is never going to chain-smoke like a cigarette smoker, so production will be more of a boutique businesss rather than another RJR/MO.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
August 23rd, 2012 at 8:41:12 AM permalink
I don't know why people think the taxes would be some big windfall....sure it would be extra revenue...but lets get real people the federal excise tax revenue in 2010 was about 70 billion....and that include taxes on gas, alcohol, coal, firearms, tobacco, transportation, communications ect ect.....if all of those Combined bring in 70 billion what do yo think marijuana will bring in? 5 billion? maybe 10? Don't get me wrong that's a lot of money....but we are staring at a 1 trillion dollar deficit...and 5 billion is a drop in the bucket...

Saying all that..... as long as there is an effective way to test whether not you are under the influence of marijuana while driving, like there is for alcohol....I say make it legal....
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
August 23rd, 2012 at 7:51:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

One thing to remember is a pot smoker is never going to chain-smoke like a cigarette smoker, so production will be more of a boutique businesss rather than another RJR/MO.

In principle, I agree with you. Never is not a good word to use in this situation. SWIM (look it up on urbandictionary) smoked $40 worth every week while going to school and getting good grades, could have easily upped it to $80, or a quarter ounce, without any obligations.

I also think that high quality bud could be mass produced. Independent growers would sell their patented strains to corporations that would grow them on a grand scale. In my opinion, the corporatization of marijuana would make up for the taxation easily.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 23rd, 2012 at 10:09:26 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

we are staring at a 1 trillion dollar deficit...and 5 billion is a drop in the bucket...

The mid year estimate for 2012 has been upped to $1.2 trillion . By the time all the accounting is finished it might be $1.3 trillion like the previous two years.

-$1,412.7 billion - 2009
-$1,293.5 billion - 2010
-$1,299.6 billion - 2011
-$1,211.0 billion - 2012
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
August 23rd, 2012 at 10:23:30 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I also think that high quality bud could be mass produced. Independent growers would sell their patented strains to corporations that would grow them on a grand scale. In my opinion, the corporatization of marijuana would make up for the taxation easily.

I still disagree here. Who makes better beer, the local brew-pup or InBev? Who has better produce, the farmer's market or Wal-Mart? Does the local baker shop have better bread than Wonder Bread?

What I do wonder is could pot be put into those roll-your-own cigarette tubes that were recently pulled from the market? I'm no pothead, but I could see people specializing in mixing pot with tobacco and in a ready-to-smoke package. If it would work.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: