Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
August 1st, 2012 at 3:11:09 PM permalink
In recent days their business has really received quite a boost. Smart marketing. Long live Chick Fil A !
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
August 1st, 2012 at 3:12:02 PM permalink
People don't like it when politicians attempt to force their beliefs on the rest of society.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Keyser
Keyser
August 1st, 2012 at 3:13:19 PM permalink
People don't like it when the views of the few, the silly, and the absurd are imposed on the majority.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 1st, 2012 at 3:15:24 PM permalink
Whats a Chick Fil A? Sounds like a Latino name.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
August 1st, 2012 at 3:21:29 PM permalink
The part that annoys me is....If you don't like what they have to say or who they donate their profit to, don't buy their product....no biggie, buy a Big Mac or Whopper or whatever....But when the mayors of Chicago and Boston come out and say "we don't what them to do business in our city because of what they have to say" that's where a line is being crossed that shouldn't.....Rahm Emanuel should be worrying about the 50 people getting shot and killed every week in Chicago and not whether or not Chick-fil-A wants to open a new store there...Not to mention the almost 10% unemployment rate in Chicago
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
August 1st, 2012 at 3:23:07 PM permalink
I am visiting Atlanta and did not know today was the appreciation day. Drive thru lines are twice around the building and lines to get in the door were 30 deep at noon at two locations. Even at 3pm, I drove by another and the cards lined out into the street. This goes to show that the people that are trying to squash Chick Fil A's 1st amendment rights are far outnumbered by the people that still believe in the constitution or share the same beliefs.

The mayors in the cities like Boston and San Francisco that have implied/said they would block CFA from entering their city based on having different religious beliefs are embarrassing themselves and I hope their constituents see this come election time. I am sure their position is illegal and shows a massive amount of ignorance.

I totally respect that people disagree with CFA's stance, I don't even really agree with it, but they have every right to have it. If someone chooses not to do business with a company because of their beliefs that is fine. These people that are trying to sabotage and destroy CFA's ability to do business because of their religious beliefs obviously have no concept of the Bill of Rights. I am glad the support has been overwhelming from people, even with differing views, supporting someone's first amendment rights.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
August 1st, 2012 at 3:26:57 PM permalink
Chicago and most if not all major cities lost to WalMart, and they will lost to Chik-Fil-A. It seems like a waste of taxpayer dollars to spend time blocking a company who wants to create jobs in a city with double digit unemployment.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 1st, 2012 at 3:44:33 PM permalink
I'm just wondering why this only seemed to raise a stir when it hit Chicago... has Massachusetts just been written off as a Marcusean dystopia?
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 1st, 2012 at 3:50:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Whats a Chick Fil A? Sounds like a Latino name.

It's a southern humorous way of spelling fillet. The chain started in 1967 in malls mostly, specializing in chicken sandwiches so as not to compete with Kentucky Fried Chicken. They have recently been expanding outside their traditional base in the South. Although they now have many free standing locations outside of malls, they are not big in northern cities. There are usually zero to two restaurants in cities like Boston, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington DC.

In 2010 Chick-fil-A took the industry lead in average sales per restaurant, making an average of $2.7 million per restaurant in 2010 (McDonald's was second with $2.4 million per restaurant).

The ownership is devout Southern Baptists who have kept all their stores closed on Sundays (even the ones in malls). In the past 1.5 years they have increased their philanthropy and involvement in organizations against gay marriage. When mayors of the northern cities (where there are few to no locations) began saying that they are not welcome in their cities, the conservative right (i.e. FOX news) organized today as a day to show your support by eating at one of their locations. The one near me lost their electricity, presumably because the duty cycle of their machines was much higher than normal.

Gay advocates promise to respond this friday by going to the franchises and making out in public. They know that nothing freaks out suburbanites out like two guys kissing or a really butch lesbian kissing a lipstick lesbian.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 1st, 2012 at 3:56:20 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Gay advocates promise to respond this friday by going to the franchises and making out in public. They know that nothing freaks out suburbanites out like two guys kissing or a really butch lesbian kissing a lipstick lesbian.

Cool. I love it when Christians are freaked out by Gay's.
They look so confused and worried..
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 1st, 2012 at 4:28:51 PM permalink

ABC did a special where they filmed the reaction of people to two guys kissing. Most urban people are unfazed.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
August 1st, 2012 at 4:37:38 PM permalink
As a conservative, I've been boycotting dairy queen and geiko insurance for over two years since they're owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire Hathaway is Warren Buffett's company for anyone that didn't know offhand. It really annoys me that liberals just can't have their own little boycots, instead a large portion feel the need to get sand in their vaginas.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 1st, 2012 at 4:46:24 PM permalink

ABC did a special where they filmed the reaction of people to two guys kissing. Most urban people are unfazed.

Kissing in general is pretty disgusting. Putting
your mouth on somebody elses mouth is about
as unhygenic as you can get. Why not use their
toothbrush too. The Japanese as a culture have
never accepted kissing on the mouth. Or carrying
about with you your mucus in a handkerchief. They
always use Kleenex and throw it away.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
August 1st, 2012 at 5:26:25 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

People don't like it when the views of the few, the silly, and the absurd are imposed on the majority.

That's the Number 1 reason people get into politics. To rule over others, and get their opinions turned into laws.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
August 1st, 2012 at 7:19:04 PM permalink

Bob - let's be fair - it is almost all religions - christians, jews and muslims included

I always find it entertaining when religious persons throw stones
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
August 1st, 2012 at 7:21:13 PM permalink

What would I do? I would do unto others what I would want them to do for me - mind my own damn business!
What affect does any two consenting adults kissing have on my life? Are people so egotistical that they believe what others are doing in the bedroom affect them?
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 1st, 2012 at 9:05:35 PM permalink
OK, I'm up to speed on Chick Fil A. Rush talked about it
on his show today. Does Rahm Emanual have a screw
loose? Doesn't everybody know the entire country connects
him directly to Obama? To say he doesn't want a restaurant
chain in Chicago because its owned by born again Christians?
In an election year?

People went nuts today over flowing every Chick Fik A in the
country. Even Wendy's that were nearby had their sign read
something like 'Eat at Chick Fil A' or some such. They've
gone and woken up the Tea Party again, which really wasn't
sleeping. The Tea Party candidate in Texas won yesterday by
13 points and 2 weeks ago he was down by double digits.

Are you watching, Obama? Are you packing your bags?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 1st, 2012 at 9:45:04 PM permalink

It's a southern humorous way of spelling fillet.

Not completely. I was given the book written by the founder when I tried to get a job there a few years back. Yes, life was that bad for me in summer 2008. The manager was probably humoring me.

Anyways, the reason it is spelled that way is you cannot trademark a common term like "fillet." So they played around with the letters and got the spelling. For the same reason it is "Eat-n-Park" here in WPA when the oppisite is what you do.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2012 at 9:52:39 PM permalink

People went nuts today over flowing every Chick Fik A in the
country. Even Wendy's that were nearby had their sign read
something like 'Eat at Chick Fil A' or some such. They've
gone and woken up the Tea Party again, which really wasn't
sleeping. The Tea Party candidate in Texas won yesterday by
13 points and 2 weeks ago he was down by double digits.

Are you watching, Obama? Are you packing your bags?

Here is what is the scary part. Rahm and the others didn't say, "I disagree so I will not be patronizing your stores," a sign of a free society. They said, "I disagree so we are going to see you cannot do business in our city AT ALL." Fascism is thrown around as a term, but for crying out loud if this is not it then what is? This was not violent as in the Night of the Broken Glass (wait until OWS gets involved for that) but it was a direct attack on a business not for breaking any law but for the (religious) views of the owner.

This possibly wakes uninvolved Americans up to what I have been saying to anyone who would listen, and many who will not, for years. The gay community is not about "tolerance." They are about demanding acceptance, 100%, of their views. The classic "give them an inch and they take a mile" just happened. Obama comes out for so-called "gay marrige" and a few months later his associates tell a businessowner he cannot have his own beliefs or else.

This may just be a point we look back on where the public wakes up, hopefully.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 1st, 2012 at 10:17:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

They said, "I disagree so we are going to see you cannot do business in our city AT ALL." Fascism is thrown around as a term, but for crying out loud if this is not it then what is? This was not violent as in the Night of the Broken Glass

OMG, Kristallnacht, for 'night of the broken glass'. Tears lept
to my eyes when you made the obvious connection.

" Novemberpogrome, was a pogrom or series of coordinated attacks against Jews throughout Nazi Germany and parts of Austria on 9–10 November 1938, carried out by SA paramilitary and civilians. German authorities looked on without intervening. The attacks left the streets covered with broken glass from the windows of Jewish-owned stores, buildings, and synagogues. At least 91 Jews were killed in the attacks, and a further 30,000 arrested and incarcerated in concentration camps."

And Rahm Emanual is Jewish. What the hell is he doing?
Now that he has power, he's saying 'you people' aren't
welcome here? Has he so quickly forgotten Kristallnacht?
Is history indeed repeating itself?

"This may just be a point we look back on where the public wakes up, hopefully."

Rush thinks so. He called today the day 'The Sleeping Giant Awakens'.
This country still exists, no matter what you hear in the mainstream
media. This isn't Nazi Germany in 1938, no matter how many wish it
was.
24Bingo
24Bingo
August 1st, 2012 at 10:27:34 PM permalink

The gay community is not about "tolerance." They are about demanding acceptance, 100%, of their views.

Anyone who doesn't know this at this point is a fool, and if you said this to any activist, they'd tell you "tolerance" is bull.

The idea that OWS is violent is... a stretch. The idea that this is comparable to Kristallnacht is... disturbing. But it is true that the left don't really have much use for free speech, or any other value of a truly free society. They'll tell you that all these things are tools of the oppressor, that free speech must be suspended in cases like these, due process in cases like those, and the letter of the law stretched to accommodate "reality," where reality is whatever they want today. They will tell you that we are marching on to some non-specific goal, and all else should be trampled. You're a white supremacist or domestic terrorist if you speak out about Ruby Ridge or Waco, and yet they can't see how this is connected to Tony Baloney's little fun. If you oppose anything from gay marriage to the Lily Ledbetter bill, marginalized group X "are not human" to you. If you oppose any court decision that advanced a left-wing cause, you support it, or you're a "legalist." If you oppose Rahm and Menino, you too are a "legalist," one who does not recognize that laws are constrained by reality, where reality is distinguishable from whim only by the fact that it is not called whim. If you're associated with any of these people in any significant way, you're just as bad. That's where they're coming from, and that's why they'll be reelected, and likely Rahm (Menino could slaughter a family and be reelected) will put this "firm stance" in his own ads.

That said, back the hell off. Gay marriages don't hurt you, and in the modern distortion of marriage long past its usefulness to our society, the legal quagmire that it has become has no sensible reason, in today's world, to be denied. Yes, if you are against homosexuality in principle, you will be hated - what do you expect? It may be apathy from your end, but it's screwing a lot of people out of what you don't think they deserve, for no direct benefit to anyone. I expect you can live with such hatred. Well... fine.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 1st, 2012 at 10:43:08 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

That said, back the hell off. Gay marriages don't hurt you,

Nor do they help me. Marriage was instituionalized
for the benefit of the children it produced. Men are
by their nature, shits, and tend to desert the woman
a few years after the kid is born. Marriage and religious
guilt changed that.

Gay marriage is ridiculous and makes a mockery of
the marriage concept. But I think thats rather their
point, isn't it..
chefphydeaux
chefphydeaux
  • Threads: 1
August 1st, 2012 at 10:46:03 PM permalink
This would be a scenario that would play out in the near future: are the mayors of Boston, Chicago and SF, all of whom have come out against the chain saying we don't want you here in our city, breaking discrimination laws?
Basically they are are saying they don't want certain businesses in their city because of religious beliefs. Pretty much seems like a clear cut case of discrimination to me.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 1st, 2012 at 11:27:59 PM permalink

Here is what is the scary part. Rahm and the others didn't say, "I disagree so I will not be patronizing your stores," a sign of a free society. They said, "I disagree so we are going to see you cannot do business in our city AT ALL."

I don't know if I'd stretch the analogy as far as you have (after all all sides have used positions of power to limit the business interests of others), but I do agree.

The Mayor should be able to say "I disagree with this business's practices and the owners beliefs". They shouldn't be able to say "I'll moved to block their lawful business". The former, the creation of voting with economic power is after a a central tenet of a free market. The latter... isn't.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
August 2nd, 2012 at 5:47:19 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The Mayor should be able to say "I disagree with this business's practices and the owners beliefs". They shouldn't be able to say "I'll moved to block their lawful business". The former, the creation of voting with economic power is after a a central tenet of a free market. The latter... isn't.

I'm curious whether Chick-Fil-A will roll over or will continue their expansion plans in these cities. Rahm and the rest threw red meat to their liberal constituents, but in the end, if Chick-Fil-A really wants to open up restaurants and not be discriminated against, I think they'll be able to do so. It may take a few law suits, but they will be able to do so. But will they push back?
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2012 at 5:58:28 AM permalink

The idea that OWS is violent is... a stretch.

Not unless you have a very high standard for violence.

Quote:

The idea that this is comparable to Kristallnacht is... disturbing.

It is and should be--because government telling somebody they cannot be in business because they have a religious belief even if they are doing everything legal in the workplace is......i'll embelish your term, very, very disturbing.

I am not suggesting a direct parallel, but remember that the death camps were not opened in a day.

Quote:

Yes, if you are against homosexuality in principle, you will be hated - what do you expect?

I expect to be allowed to operate a business when I meet the same legal requirements operating that business as any other person and not told I am not welcome in a city. I expect to be allowed to let the market decide. Looking at yesterday it appears the market decided quite well.
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
August 2nd, 2012 at 6:23:29 AM permalink
People went to Chick-fil-a for one day. Big whoop. Think about how much this was talked about on the conservative shows and in those circles. Chick-fil-a got TONS of free advertising from all the hub bub.

I personally haven't been to Chick-fil-a in a couple years due to their political stance, just as there are plenty of fundamentalist Christians who have boycotted 7-Eleven, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Airlines, American Girl, Blockbuster Video, Burger King, Calvin Klein, Carl's Jr., Clorox, Comcast, Crest, Ford, Hallmark Cards, Kmart, Kraft Foods, S. C. Johnson & Son, Movie Gallery, Microsoft, MTV, Mary Kay, NutriSystem, Old Navy, IKEA, Sears, Pampers, Procter & Gamble, Target, Tide, Walt Disney Company, and PepsiCo over the past thirty years or so for a really long list of things they have found offensive.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 2nd, 2012 at 6:27:37 AM permalink
The company you keep
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:10:58 AM permalink
Quote: 1arrowheaddr

People went to Chick-fil-a for one day. Big whoop.

Indeed.

It's a lot more likely same-sex marriage will outlast this purveyor of heart disease :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2012 at 9:10:07 AM permalink

I personally haven't been to Chick-fil-a in a couple years due to their political stance, just as there are plenty of fundamentalist Christians who have boycotted 7-Eleven, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Airlines, American Girl, Blockbuster Video, Burger King, Calvin Klein, Carl's Jr., Clorox, Comcast, Crest, Ford, Hallmark Cards, Kmart, Kraft Foods, S. C. Johnson & Son, Movie Gallery, Microsoft, MTV, Mary Kay, NutriSystem, Old Navy, IKEA, Sears, Pampers, Procter & Gamble, Target, Tide, Walt Disney Company, and PepsiCo over the past thirty years or so for a really long list of things they have found offensive.

The difference is the Christians are not getting up and saying they will deny a business license to said outfits because they find something offensive. Homophiles have said that they will do so to Chick-Fil-A.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
August 2nd, 2012 at 9:19:31 AM permalink
Homophile, lol.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
August 2nd, 2012 at 9:27:23 AM permalink
I was completely unaware of this until late yesterday. I've often wondered what CFA is like as we don't have them up here.

Legally I don't see how the powers that be could zone out a CFA restaurant versus other restaurants. Per the City of Renton (my home town!) vs Playtime Theater supreme court decision, zoning is allowed but you must give the business somewhere to operate.

I suppose they would allow the restaurant to be built, then send the health inspectors every day to harass them.
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
August 2nd, 2012 at 9:36:16 AM permalink
Conservative Christians try to get businesses and organizations restricted all the time where I live. Ground zero mosque, adult oriented business, casinos, liquor laws, etc.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 2nd, 2012 at 9:52:50 AM permalink

Conservative Christians try to get businesses and organizations restricted all the time where I live. Ground zero mosque, adult oriented business, casinos, liquor laws, etc.

yes, but they're sensible objection to all of these on zoning law objections, anti-terrorism, etc.,

Heh.

I'm being ironic. One person's sacred cow is another person's future hamburger.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 2nd, 2012 at 10:24:32 AM permalink
This hits home with people because its the reason
we came to this country, to escape religeous
persecution.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 2nd, 2012 at 10:49:04 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

Legally I don't see how the powers that be could zone out a CFA restaurant versus other restaurants. Per the City of Renton (my home town!) vs Playtime Theater supreme court decision, zoning is allowed but you must give the business somewhere to operate.

I suppose they would allow the restaurant to be built, then send the health inspectors every day to harass them.

It works just like this and then some.

First you have to apply for the business license, those government people may not be the fastest.
Then you have to build the place, would be a shame if there were strikes or "demonstrations" to get you to "hire more minorities
After that the building inspector has to measure every little thing, and such people have nearly shut down a baseball park!

Then maybe you do open, and there are inspections all the time by the health inspector. There could be a big hole dug to replace fiber-optics in front of the store for a month or so, it could never end.
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 2nd, 2012 at 5:20:28 PM permalink
The cold hard facts
There are a only 4 fast food restaurant chains (or a QSR chain) out of the top 50 that make over $2 million annually per location: Chick-fil-A, McDonald’s, Jason’s Deli, and Panera Bread. Chick-fil-A makes the most money per location of all 50, and 3 to 4 times what chains like KFC and Church's chicken make.

Outside of the South, they are showing almost no incentive to move into the rough world of large urban fast food. There are none in Boston and San Francisco, q in Washington DC, New York City, and Chicago (all three near urban universities). They prefer high end locations like shopping malls where they can sell a lot of food per store to well off people.

These mayors are getting free publicity to appeal to their citizens at no cost to their business base. They are not likely to end up in real life situations where this company wants to open a dozen locations.

The Mayor of Chicago would never try the same thing with Church's chicken, with roughly 15 locations, often in black neighborhoods.

While I think it is a gross shot at freedom of speech, as a practical matter, I think it is mostly cheap political theatrics. They have no real intent to follow up with any harrassment of this chain.

As for gay marriage activists, it is not exactly a shock that fundamentalist Baptists will be against gay marriage. It's a stupid battle to go after this chain publicly. Since they are winning the war anyway, why start risking public sentiment by creating a "freedom of speech" battle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 2nd, 2012 at 5:23:04 PM permalink
Whats amazing is, Chick beats McD and Chick is
closed on Sunday. And there are 1600+ of them.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 2nd, 2012 at 5:23:40 PM permalink
It's reminded me that I want to try out a Chik-fil-A next time I'm down in the states.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 2nd, 2012 at 6:04:29 PM permalink

Whats amazing is, Chick beats McD and Chick is
closed on Sunday. And there are 1600+ of them.

Chick beat McD on a per store basis. McDonalds is the 8000 pound gorilla of fast food. Subway is #2 for gross sales inside the USA.

In the USA alone
McDonalds $32.395 million or $2.4 million per domestic location, for 14,027 stores (in the USA alone) There are rough 18K international locations
Subway $10.6 million or $452 thousand per domestic location, for 23,850 locations (in the USA alone). There are rough 9K international locations

So
McD is 2nd to Chick Fil-A in money per location inside the USA,
McD is 2nd to Subway in number of locations, but revenue is close to 5 times as much per location.
Keyser
Keyser
August 2nd, 2012 at 6:41:58 PM permalink
Regardless of the numbers, Chick Fil A has just gained the gained the political support of most Americans.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 2nd, 2012 at 6:50:52 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Regardless of the numbers, Chick Fil A has just gained the gained the political support of most Americans.

I still can't figure out why Rahm Emanual was
so vocal about this, he was just in Obama's
White House, now he's alienating voters?

He's 100% Jewish, doesn't he know the history
of this very thing happening to Jew's? Religious
tolerance is the principal we were founded on.
24Bingo
24Bingo
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:14:02 PM permalink
Wait - you were serious about agreeing with the Kristallnacht thing? I thought you were being sarcastic before.
rxwine
rxwine
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:24:51 PM permalink
Chow Down at Chick Fil A
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:30:08 PM permalink

Wait - you were serious about agreeing with the Kristallnacht thing? I thought you were being sarcastic before.

Yeah, right. Nobody jokes about that.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:31:03 PM permalink

Not unless you have a very high standard for violence.

It is and should be--because government telling somebody they cannot be in business because they have a religious belief even if they are doing everything legal in the workplace is......i'll embelish your term, very, very disturbing.

I am not suggesting a direct parallel, but remember that the death camps were not opened in a day.

Quote:

Yes, if you are against homosexuality in principle, you will be hated - what do you expect?

I expect to be allowed to operate a business when I meet the same legal requirements operating that business as any other person and not told I am not welcome in a city. I expect to be allowed to let the market decide. Looking at yesterday it appears the market decided quite well.

I will also revisit this statement. Gay Marriage and Slavery are two things the government does not want in a Constitutional sense... If one is allowed, the other WILL follow.
Has anyone noticed the convergence yet?
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
98Clubs
98Clubs
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:38:38 PM permalink

People went to Chick-fil-a for one day. Big whoop. Think about how much this was talked about on the conservative shows and in those circles. Chick-fil-a got TONS of free advertising from all the hub bub.

Ya know some of these boycotts are just plain ludicrous. Boycott Mister$ofie... well toss out IE and Windows... thats a good idea, but not for political reasons. I'm surprised after the Chinese Factory Worker problems at FOXCON in China, and the Child-labor problems in manufacturing Clothing and Footwear, that companies like APPLE and NIKE aren't on that list. OR IS FINANCIAL SLAVERY ACCEPTABLE?
pacomartin
pacomartin
August 2nd, 2012 at 10:35:25 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

I will also revisit this statement. Gay Marriage and Slavery are two things the government does not want in a Constitutional sense... If one is allowed, the other WILL follow.Has anyone noticed the convergence yet?

A Catholic bishop in the UK has compared gay marriage to slavery. But I admit that I can't see how one implies the other.
rxwine
rxwine
August 2nd, 2012 at 11:23:47 PM permalink

A Catholic bishop in the UK has compared gay marriage to slavery. But I admit that I can't see how one implies the other.

Religion has zero say in marriage. Atheist need no special permit. At least in the U.S. That ship sailed -- can't make a case that religion dictates marriage standards.
98Clubs
98Clubs
August 3rd, 2012 at 1:34:42 AM permalink
Agreed, but the politics involved in such banter comparing the two, is mindless power-grab. THAT is more dangerous. I'm treating Gay Marriage as a Constitutional no-no, and Slavery as another Constitutional no-no. I think we look at the Bible in this case as a historical reference: not as dogma. Slavery was tolerated at that time: same-sex relations not tolerated. Some 20-40 centuries later we find the coin has flipped so to speak.

I agree with several posters here that essentially Chick-Fil-A has a right to their beliefs and customs. Local/regional Gummint stating, "You can't (we will organize against) open shop here" is the stuff of arrogance, ignorance, and tyrant kings. Quite common in population centers. Even if symbolic in nature, I think the Customers win: the protesters lose in both numbers and effect. Lets call it a cash poll, vote with your $$.
  • Jump to: