ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
April 21st, 2011 at 11:16:01 PM permalink
I'm putting this here because there's no other place I could, with intellectual honesty, put this post.

But ...

if any of you went to any watching parties last summer and enjoyed cheering for the USA ...

if any of you search YouTube for "landon donovan algeria goal" and get goosebumps ...

I'm not trying to convince you that you are a soccer fan, but I do KNOW that you are a USA fan ...

You can catch the fever and support the side this summer at the [Big] Gold Cup! Final is in Pasadena ... c'mon, you Vegas residents, it's not like Pasadena folk never drive the 15 to visit you ... on June 25. If you come, I *PROMISE* you a friendly face, fun people to drink beer with, and an experience that will positively MARRY you to the team!

And, if you want to come to Houston for the semis on Jun 22, you will NOT regret it!

This is very fun, very cool people, very passionate about our sport, and, at the least, a chance to meet pretty damn hot chicks!

Please consider attending, the best way to go about it is (Wiz, please forgive the shameless plug) to visit www.theamericanoutlaws.com to find such people near you!

Peace, love, and (unashamedly) proselytizing USA soccer,

ICS
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
April 21st, 2011 at 11:19:22 PM permalink
Please buy "Sign of a Victory" by R. Kelly on iTunes and sing along with the "he eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh" part ... preferably drunk ... to get a smidgen of a mite of a microscope of a lilliputian of a microcosm of a smidge of a piece of a bit of a part of a baby step of a part of what it just might feel like to support a team that everyone can get behind in any circumstance in any political climate no matter who's president no matter the economy, no matter your wealth, no matter anything!

YANKS ALL THE WAY!!!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 22nd, 2011 at 8:48:15 AM permalink
Go Mexico
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 22nd, 2011 at 8:58:55 AM permalink
"US Soccer" is a contradiction in terms.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
April 22nd, 2011 at 9:27:44 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

How dare you.

That being said, it's the Gold Cup...meh.
Nareed
Nareed
April 22nd, 2011 at 3:34:10 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

How dare you.

I like to state the obvious :P

Quote:

That being said, it's the Gold Cup...meh.

One of the 578 "major" soccer tournaments played each year?
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
April 22nd, 2011 at 5:38:12 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Last I heard, the US had a winning record vs Mexico recently. I website I found shows them with a record of 14 wins, 8 losses, and 7 draws from 1990 - 2009. Ask.com says since 2000, the US is 10-4-2 (w-l-t) vs Mexico.

I'm just sayin' . . .
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Nareed
Nareed
April 22nd, 2011 at 5:51:59 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

I'm just sayin' . . .

Mexican soccer fans are insane.

On the eve of a big tournament (which seems to be every other week), there's a huge buildup, cheers, expressions of support, mass buying of team jerseys, etc etc etc.

Then when Mexico does not win the tournament, but does better than it did in the past, there's heated vitriol spewed at the team, the coach, the league, etc. In particular there are loud (and I do mean LOUD) calls for the coach's head. They want him dead, they want his family dead, they want his friends dead, and so on.

The coach gets fired, naturally, and now there's a big controversy on whom to hire next. Followed by comments that the team needs continuity in coaching!

Then the next big tournament comes along and the whole cycle begins again, exactly the same way every time.

It's a great show, and it's free. I hate soccer, but I love it when the Mexican team loses. If they get beaten by the US, a country where soccer is a poor relation to high school cricket, so much the better.

You were sayin'?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 22nd, 2011 at 6:37:54 PM permalink
Maybe someone (ICS?) can explain a curiousity for me.

What is it about futbol that enrages so many people?

I understand, I guess, the passion about it. But I just wonder what it is about the game that seems to put that passion, and resulting fury, into overdrive. I could attempt humor and say it's because the fans just realized they wasted 3 hours watching 9 guys do no more than kick a ball around with no purpose whatsoever and are furious about it (hyuk hyuk) or that since there seems to be no aggression involved in the game at all they are simply making up the difference (hardy-har), but in all seriousness, I'm curious.

I look at the big American sports and I don't see it. Sure, sometimes people lose their minds over a championship and trash the town, but it's not terribly common. Random outbursts usually consist of a lone or small group of drunkards that are quickly removed from the arena. You don't see the brawls, police battles, and athlete involvement in ructions that you see in soccer.

I'm not trashing the sport, I'm just curious. Even though it's not my cup of tea, I actually like the World Cup and can make it through a number of complete games, which is way more than can be said for baseball or basketball. I'm a hockey and NASCAR nut, but if the Leafs win the cup I wouldn't be burning cars in the streets, and if Juan Pablo takes the cup you won't see me doing donuts in the local high school football field. Why is soccer so much different?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
April 22nd, 2011 at 6:57:29 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I could attempt humor and say it's because the fans just realized they wasted 3 hours watching 9 guys do no more than kick a ball around with no purpose whatsoever and are furious about it (hyuk hyuk)

Most matches last 2 hours or so, with "action" (if you want to be charitable) taking perhaps half that time. Baseball, uh, er, whatever they are take 3 hours or longer and the "action" (if you want to be ridiculous about it), takes perhaps a fifth of the time. Point is if sudden realization of stupidity and lost time explained it, then you'd see more violence at baseball, uh, whatever they play in.

Besides, if that were the case, 99% of people would simply stop watching soccer or baseball. Since they don't, and more's the pity, there must be another reason.

BTW, regarding my earlier post: when I called soccer in America "a poor relation to high school cricket," I emant to say that while it is over-valued, ti is less so than in other countries.

Oh, if you want to make a fortune, buy soccer for what it's really worth and sell it for what people think it's worth. Then with 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of your proceeds you can buy baseball for only ten times its real value :P

• Jump to: