Thread Rating:

Poll

12 votes (9.91%)
35 votes (28.92%)
74 votes (61.15%)

121 members have voted

Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 2178
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
August 16th, 2015 at 11:19:49 AM permalink
Quote: HeySlick

Quote: EvenBob

I don't want them to have THAT job in a major
store chain where he deals with the public
and can't speak English worth a crap. Have
him stock shelves till he can at least speak
well enough to do the other job correctly.

I want a huge business like Walmart to at
least try and act like they know what they're
doing, even though they actually don't
. I've
owned several businesses, I would never let
a person who barely speaks the language
represent my business to the public.





FYI -- Serving customers and delivering savings every day

In fiscal 2014, Walmart U.S. attracted nearly 140 million weekly shoppers to our stores and delivered net sales of more than $279 billion, an increase of $5 billion, or 1.8 percent, from last year. Apparently Wal-Mart is doing something right -- why don't you ask/talk to the store Manager about your issue.



Yes, and McDonalds is doing something right too. How many Big Macs did they sell last year? Probably full of saturated fat and they're not healthy. Sales and growth do not translate into quality.

And to all those people in customer service, please note, I am not Mr. (my first name)!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28986
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
August 16th, 2015 at 11:35:09 AM permalink
Quote: HeySlick

why don't you ask/talk to the store Manager about your issue.



Already did, called her the same day the
incident happened. Told her I was not happy
trying to explain my situation to somebody
who obviously had no idea what I was talking
about. She agreed 100% and said she'd look
into it. I go there at least twice a week and
have yet to see that person in customer
service again. I have no problem complaining
to store managers when I have a problem,
some of them know me well.

If more people took the time to bring a
stores problems to the attention of
management, we would not have situations
like this at big chains like Walmart.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 277
Joined: Jan 13, 2015
August 16th, 2015 at 11:36:47 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Quote: HeySlick

Quote: EvenBob

I don't want them to have THAT job in a major
store chain where he deals with the public
and can't speak English worth a crap. Have
him stock shelves till he can at least speak
well enough to do the other job correctly.

I want a huge business like Walmart to at
least try and act like they know what they're
doing, even though they actually don't
. I've
owned several businesses, I would never let
a person who barely speaks the language
represent my business to the public.





FYI -- Serving customers and delivering savings every day

In fiscal 2014, Walmart U.S. attracted nearly 140 million weekly shoppers to our stores and delivered net sales of more than $279 billion, an increase of $5 billion, or 1.8 percent, from last year. Apparently Wal-Mart is doing something right -- why don't you ask/talk to the store Manager about your issue.



Yes, and McDonalds is doing something right too. How many Big Macs did they sell last year? Probably full of saturated fat and they're not healthy. Sales and growth do not translate into quality.

And to all those people in customer service, please note, I am not Mr. (my first name)!





When high wages cause prices to increase for the same item as what walmart sells for less -- why would anyone pay that higher price? Quality has no bearing whatsoever whenever comparing prices for the same item.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28986
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
August 16th, 2015 at 11:56:06 AM permalink
Quote: HeySlick

Quality has no bearing whatsoever whenever comparing prices for the same item.



For you, maybe. I care a lot about quality and
will pay a higher price for it. If Walmart has a
can opener for $2 and a better one for $5,
I'll take the better one because it will last
years longer than the cheap one.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12392
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
August 16th, 2015 at 4:16:54 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I was in Walmart today, returning an item I had
purchased because it was the wrong item. I
gave the receipt to the young man, he took it
and the item to his cohort at the next station,
and came back. I started to explain why I was
returning it, and he babbled something in a
foreign language, mixed I think with English.

Good god. Why would a company put somebody
in customer service who can't speak the countries
language? Is this a joke? What's the fricking point.



Maybe they recognized you.

"It's that guy who always complains --quick put someone in who doesn't speak English."
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 2178
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
August 16th, 2015 at 5:31:00 PM permalink
I work in an office building that has a dumpster in the back and people take their boxes and put them in the dumpster and they don't break them down or anything so three or four boxes will fill the whole damn thing up. What's the matter with these people; break your boxes down before you put them in the dumpster;leave room for somebody else; don't make the truck come by twice a week because you can't break down your boxes.

And did you know that we waste millions of dollars in gasoline and brake linings each year in this country because everybody seems like they're in such a hurry to speed up and throw on the breaks for a red light. Why don't people time lights better so they don't use their brakes so much and not waste gas. I think if people listened to Emerson Lake and Palmer or classical music they'd drive slower.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1124
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
August 16th, 2015 at 6:09:59 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I want a huge business like Walmart to at
least try and act like they know what they're
doing, even though they actually don't.


Aren't you the guy who started the "I Love WalMart" thread, too? Which is it...hate or love?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1124
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
August 16th, 2015 at 6:13:24 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Maybe they recognized you.

"It's that guy who always complains --quick put someone in who doesn't speak English."


Yeah, hope Bob didn't get the guy fired.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 277
Joined: Jan 13, 2015
August 17th, 2015 at 7:39:21 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Aren't you the guy who started the "I Love WalMart" thread, too? Which is it...hate or love?





There's a thin line between Love and Hate

(I Love Music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZzIG4ncXY


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VAtRF4US8k
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
August 17th, 2015 at 11:29:22 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn



And to all those people in customer service, please note, I am not Mr. (my first name)!



Move away from the South? Lol

My gf took about 18 months after moving away from Atlanta for her to completely stop saying y'all thanks to all her former nursing coworkers. Her former coworkers also often said Mr./Miss first name to patients.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2426
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
August 17th, 2015 at 11:46:46 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Her former coworkers also often said Mr./Miss first name to patients.

Yes, that is often considered a sign of respect in the South, especially using "Miss (First Name)" when speaking to a woman who is older than you. I learned this when I moved "up" to the South (from South Florida).

Also, I learned that the plural of "you" is "y'all," and that the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all!" :)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3616
Joined: May 22, 2013
August 17th, 2015 at 12:33:17 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman



Also, I learned that the plural of "you" is "y'all," and that the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all!" :)


That is not entirely correct, but will get you by, most times and places.
The only person that would call you out on it, dey prolly not frum roun her anywise.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12392
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
August 27th, 2015 at 12:52:13 PM permalink
What is it with some customer service when you're calling to complain, they also try to make a sales pitch about something before you hang up. Really? Does that usually work?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3616
Joined: May 22, 2013
August 27th, 2015 at 1:48:47 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What is it with some customer service when you're calling to complain, they also try to make a sales pitch about something before you hang up. Really? Does that usually work?


Elaborate pls, was it while you were on hold?
Or while you're explaining you're problem, they just start talking about some new, and cool, deal?
Oh for the days when you talked with someone in person,
Face to face in person.
I think everyone was nicer then, both sides of the discussion.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1427
Joined: Jul 19, 2011
August 27th, 2015 at 2:25:58 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Elaborate pls, was it while you were on hold?
Or while you're explaining you're problem, they just start talking about some new, and cool, deal?
Oh for the days when you talked with someone in person,
Face to face in person.
I think everyone was nicer then, both sides of the discussion.



Say you are calling X business, and you have an issue that you are calling about. What I think the previous poster is talking about is they solve your issue or answer your question, they then ask "While I have got you on the line are you aware of X, Y, and Z. Being in sales I know this is called an upsell and I generally politely decline, and they have instructions to make you say no 2-3 times before giving up. And yes, they do work, otherwise they wouldn't do them
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2426
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
August 27th, 2015 at 2:26:21 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What is it with some customer service when you're calling to complain, they also try to make a sales pitch about something before you hang up. Really? Does that usually work?

Seriously! I wonder what the CS rep would have said if you asked him/her that very question.

This reminds me of when, years ago, I saw some fraudulent charges on one of my credit card statements. I called their customer service to let them know so they could reverse the charges and close the account/send me a new card. CS rep tried to sell me their "fraud protection" service (which is basically junk -- most of their "protections" you got free anyway), and ended up not closing the account. So, you guessed it, more fraudulent charges on the next month's statement.

I called again. This time to cancel my card. They haven't tried to sell me anything since! ;)

BTW rx, whenever I see your handle, it makes me wonder if I can get my Dr. to write me a prescription for Zinfandel! :)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12392
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
August 27th, 2015 at 2:58:45 PM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

What I think the previous poster is talking about is they solve your issue or answer your question, they then ask "While I have got you on the line are you aware of X, Y, and Z. Being in sales I know this is called an upsell and I generally politely decline, and they have instructions to make you say no 2-3 times before giving up. And yes, they do work, otherwise they wouldn't do them



Yes, however I was trying to distinguish between a call to complain, vs, a call for some other reason -- information, something I needed clarified, which is different than, I am already upset about the service, and they think that's a good time to tack on a sales pitch!?

Now if sales pitches work during that, I would be surprised, because it just pissed me off more.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12392
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
August 27th, 2015 at 3:01:37 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

BTW rx, whenever I see your handle, it makes me wonder if I can get my Dr. to write me a prescription for Zinfandel! :)



Ready after 4 today.

Eh, my customer service line is down though, if not. ; )
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9641
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
August 27th, 2015 at 3:38:48 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I work in an office building that has a dumpster in the back and people take their boxes and put them in the dumpster and they don't break them down...



The recycle centers around here really want the boxes. Recycling them is subsidized apparently [ I have to assume]

There are even private enterprise people putting out collection places for cardboard.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
  • Posts: 16832
Joined: May 15, 2012
August 27th, 2015 at 7:17:40 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What is it with some customer service when you're calling to complain, they also try to make a sales pitch about something before you hang up. Really? Does that usually work?



No, but it doesn't take a very high conversion rate for that to be a profitable tactic.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AceCrAAckers
AceCrAAckers
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 377
Joined: Jul 12, 2011
August 22nd, 2016 at 2:01:10 PM permalink
As I am looking for parking spot, I find a car with the light on and the engine running. I am waiting for the car to pull out so I can take the spot. I do not know why some of these people like to see people wait and just stay there.
Edward Snowden is not the criminal, the government is for violating the constitution!
AceCrAAckers
AceCrAAckers
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 377
Joined: Jul 12, 2011
September 12th, 2016 at 4:46:49 PM permalink
I sat down and was playing pai gow. This guy walks up to the table and changes over 2k in tens and twenties. The game is slow as it is. I can't understand if the guy was making a show or what.

1. Why not change just enough to make a bet and get the game going?
2. Change the cash for $100 bills at the cage and come back.
3. Go to an empty table and get the cash changed there and come over and play.
Edward Snowden is not the criminal, the government is for violating the constitution!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
September 12th, 2016 at 10:08:56 PM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers

As I am looking for parking spot, I find a car with the light on and the engine running. I am waiting for the car to pull out so I can take the spot. I do not know why some of these people like to see people wait and just stay there.

There's a study about this kind of stuff. I. Remember it saying something about females purposely taking longer when they knew someone was waiting for their spot. It was very interesting.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28986
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 13th, 2016 at 1:21:06 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

There's a study about this kind of stuff. I. Remember it saying something about females purposely taking longer when they knew someone was waiting for their spot. It was very interesting.



Bullcrap. They don't have a clue that you're
waiting. If they did, they would move. I
would love to see this 'study' because
they're 100% wrong. Most women have
no idea what's going on around them,
they are far too into themselves. Babs
is excluded, for obvious reasons.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6365
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
September 13th, 2016 at 5:03:28 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

There's a study about this kind of stuff. I. Remember it saying something about females purposely taking longer when they knew someone was waiting for their spot. It was very interesting.



I wonder if this is true in a crowded restroom when a woman is in the valued stall :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
September 13th, 2016 at 8:04:20 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I wonder if this is true in a crowded restroom when a woman is in the valued stall :-)


They won't wait. They'll go use the men's room.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
September 13th, 2016 at 9:14:39 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I wonder if this is true in a crowded restroom when a woman is in the valued stall :-)



It is absolutely true, especially when it's a single person bathroom. And doubly so when the 1-holer is in the high roller area.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12392
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 13th, 2016 at 9:23:26 AM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers

As I am looking for parking spot, I find a car with the light on and the engine running. I am waiting for the car to pull out so I can take the spot. I do not know why some of these people like to see people wait and just stay there.



Sometimes there is wifi nearby they are leeching off of.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6365
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
September 13th, 2016 at 10:58:19 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Sometimes there is wifi nearby they are leeching off of.


Or playing pokemon Go if there is a nearby pokestop or gym
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3616
Joined: May 22, 2013
September 13th, 2016 at 7:45:29 PM permalink
There are a ton of normal looking adults doing some really weird jhit whilst playing Pokemon.
Like traffic and weirdness wasn't already past the point of no return....

<edit> 'When the snow falls, so shall you'.
Mystic - 28
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 943
Joined: Jul 27, 2016
September 17th, 2016 at 10:40:08 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Most women have
no idea what's going on around them,
they are far too into themselves.



I'm not sure whether this statement is worse because of its inaccuracy, its idiocy, or its sexism.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2549
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
September 19th, 2016 at 12:53:00 PM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers

As I am looking for parking spot, I find a car with the light on and the engine running. I am waiting for the car to pull out so I can take the spot. I do not know why some of these people like to see people wait and just stay there.



My pet peeve, maybe my number one pet peeve, is people who do what you do. Now, if there is legitimately a shortage of parking, and you see someone about to leave, OK. But that's pretty uncommon these days.

I facking hate it when you are in, say, a casino parking garage and somebody is about to leave, and then a person just parks in the middle of the row and sits there waiting for them. WTF is the thinking here? There are hundreds of other spots. There are people behind you who want to get to them. Why do we all have to wait for you? Why must you breath down the neck of the person who is leaving?

Just drive until you see an open spot and then take it!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:48:58 PM permalink
I hate cheap Chinese junk. Nothing is more certain than any choice you make at WalMart is going to break within the first year or month, if not the first time you try using it. All the environmental laws anyone passes could be eclipsed if they had to sell quality products. Makes no sense for Chinese slaves living in closets, just so the crap gets shipped across the world just for all those materials and energy to be placed inside a landfill in Des Moines.

How many coffee makers and vacuums have I bought through the years? The coffee makers are always the same slowly losing the heating element until something fails. I could pay more, but you have no guarantee it will be any better. Seems like you're renting instead of buying anyways $20 a year. An electric coffee pot for $20 lasts a year, two years for $40, 3 for $60. It's so crazy how this seems planned out. At the lower end, you almost have to wonder if they go out of their ways so this stuff breaks early.

We used the same clothes pins for 40 years. Finally my brother picks some up made in China. Turns out there is about a 40% chance they'll break every time you use them. Why even cut down a tree to make 10c in the clothes pin scam?

Nobody is doing or saying anything about this either. Bad enough they dump stuff, but can't we have a say on the quality?
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
October 3rd, 2016 at 1:21:50 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

My pet peeve, maybe my number one pet peeve, is people who do what you do. Now, if there is legitimately a shortage of parking, and you see someone about to leave, OK. But that's pretty uncommon these days.

I facking hate it when you are in, say, a casino parking garage and somebody is about to leave, and then a person just parks in the middle of the row and sits there waiting for them. WTF is the thinking here? There are hundreds of other spots. There are people behind you who want to get to them. Why do we all have to wait for you? Why must you breath down the neck of the person who is leaving?

Just drive until you see an open spot and then take it!



As a person with 2 small kids I really hate when people wait for us. It is a process to get 2 kids in the seats, stuff in the car, stroller packed away. I feel rushed and then I feel bad that I am making someone wait.

What we do on a lot of occasions is walk down the aisle next to where we parked and then cut through. If anyone was following us the speed off.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
October 3rd, 2016 at 2:10:04 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle


Nobody is doing or saying anything about this either.



Millions said and did everything needed. It's called voting with your dollar. The masses have spoken and we've gotten what we wanted.

I suggest joining the DIY revolution and either learn to fix them or, even better, make your own.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FDEAD3709
FDEAD3709
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 94
Joined: Oct 1, 2016
October 3rd, 2016 at 2:22:44 PM permalink
Sam Walton tried doing something about it years ago. Tried to supply his stores with American made products. Actively had Walmart executives pursue American manufacturers for products no longer made in USA, guarantying placement in his stores.
End result, nobody cared. When was the last time you bought something and looked on the box to see if it was made in USA ?
Hard to even find anything that even says assembled in USA. Take your complaint to the man in the mirror.
Sorry for going postal, OOOPS, sorry about that Face.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
October 3rd, 2016 at 3:03:03 PM permalink
Quote: FDEAD3709

Sam Walton tried doing something about it years ago. Tried to supply his stores with American made products. Actively had Walmart executives pursue American manufacturers for products no longer made in USA, guarantying placement in his stores.
End result, nobody cared. When was the last time you bought something and looked on the box to see if it was made in USA ?
Hard to even find anything that even says assembled in USA. Take your complaint to the man in the mirror.
Sorry for going postal, OOOPS, sorry about that Face.

I have no more responsibility than I do for what underwear you wear. Yes everything used to be made in America at Walmart. It's not just WalMart, but it's mostly WalMart to blame. There were stories back in the early 90s when the change started questioning them about products being sold there being made in China. Then the response, problem solved, we don't believe in that anymore and have changed our policy, we're selling stuff made in China now. Just happens, my grandma did buy a stove top coffee maker there made in the USA and it still worked until she died almost 20 years later.

There really isn't a single brand or store you can count on for quality affordable products, whether made in China or not. No use for an American company to try, because the option will always be there to make more money making a POS overseas. Quality is really my big complaint. I want to buy something and be done with it for a decade or two.

Seriously these things are disposable and there is such a strong correlation between how much you pay and how much it lasts. I've bought shoes at WalMart for about $14 and they last about a month before I start noticing the stitching is coming undone or the sole is worn out or the shoes are leaking. I can buy New Balance for $50-70 and they last about six months, so it's like the same monthly cost. It just amazes me how that works out. New balances always used to be made in America too and they would claim in the press some federal law change wouldn't change their habits, but surprise, surprise, they lied.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
October 3rd, 2016 at 3:26:25 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Millions said and did everything needed. It's called voting with your dollar. The masses have spoken and we've gotten what we wanted.

I suggest joining the DIY revolution and either learn to fix them or, even better, make your own.

That's total bs. Voting with dollars where? You and millions found a place that sells quality products, where at Fantasy land?

Oh I see you're saying this is what we want, to which I disagree. This has been given to us. Have to say they, they're highly organized and well funded whoever they are to pull off this thing we have. A trade war perhaps really was a war of sorts. Anything impossible to be pulled off when billions have been made, almost turning every issue into a tic-tac-toe game where they go first.

America, the best analogy is like a deserted island the way I look at it, consuming itself pretending it isn't. Import, borrow, merging companies, cannibalizing until everyone dies off. The industry of America is controlling other Americans by law and power in ways not done before.

Think about Viagra and Mylan and Monsanto. Viagra's patent runs out, but somehow they still have it and market power. Mylan takes an old technology somehow is still able to sell a dollars' worth of adrenaline for $600. Monsanto they get patents for crops they can't control where the wind spreads the seeds, then they sue and bully every farmer to use their product. Now they have bought all kind of seeds dominating, and they still can't make enough money and want to merger. Lots of that going on now with these despised companies.

It's just basically all fraud, deception, and corruption everywhere and I'm supposed to vote with dollars. That's not going to work and isn't the problem.
I am a robot.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
October 3rd, 2016 at 3:59:11 PM permalink
Hey, I'm just as pissed as you. AZD and I have gone on many tirades at DT about China Warehouse aka Harbor Freight. Go in any one of my threads and there will be at least one derail where a tool I was using for a job failed or the steel I was using was porous, whereas tools handed down from G-grandfather are still kicking as sharp as the day he got them from Montgomery Ward.

But free market, right? Isn't that our north star? Seems to me if high quality items were in demand, someone would be making them. Someone would be raking it in. High quality stores would abound. But they aren't, because we don't.

I'm no better. I've painted four cars/ trucks and am on my 3rd or 4th gun. That's GD ridiculous. But it was me who bought a no brand $40 job instead of the $160 Devilbiss, so who's really to blame?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
October 3rd, 2016 at 4:21:16 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Hey, I'm just as pissed as you. AZD and I have gone on many tirades at DT about China Warehouse aka Harbor Freight. Go in any one of my threads and there will be at least one derail where a tool I was using for a job failed or the steel I was using was porous, whereas tools handed down from G-grandfather are still kicking as sharp as the day he got them from Montgomery Ward.

But free market, right? Isn't that our north star? Seems to me if high quality items were in demand, someone would be making them. Someone would be raking it in. High quality stores would abound. But they aren't, because we don't.

I'm no better. I've painted four cars/ trucks and am on my 3rd or 4th gun. That's GD ridiculous. But it was me who bought a no brand $40 job instead of the $160 Devilbiss, so who's really to blame?



I was just about to post about harbour freight. As I have been complain ing about we just finished our porch and deck. There were a few tools that I needed and likely will be a one time use. I went to HF and bought a hand planer for $14 and they threw in a free tarp. I also bought a saw blade that wobbles to make grooves. Not sure what it is called. Home depot wants $42. HF was $11 and I got a free tape measure. I couldn't care less if any of these items break since they were so cheap.

I just looked at my spreadsheet. I spend $145 this year at HF and received 4 tape measures, 3 tarps, flashlight, and 4 screw driver sets all for free. That stuff alone is worth half the cost of what I spent.

I will be in Vegas next year for a steelworkers event. Probably the #1 group in the country advocating made in the USA. However when it comes to my pocket book, price always wins.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12392
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
October 3rd, 2016 at 4:57:01 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I I've bought shoes at WalMart for about $14 and they last about a month before I start noticing the stitching is coming undone or the sole is worn out or the shoes are leaking. I can buy New Balance for $50-70 and they last about six months, so it's like the same monthly cost. It just amazes me how that works out.



The trick is, buy Walmart brand of hiking shoes. Ozark Trails, $24 But don't hike in them. Just wear them for normal use.

If you need hiking shoes go somewhere else.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 54
  • Posts: 2167
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
October 3rd, 2016 at 5:01:48 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I hate cheap Chinese junk. Nothing is more certain than any choice you make at WalMart is going to break within the first year or month, if not the first time you try using it. All the environmental laws anyone passes could be eclipsed if they had to sell quality products. Makes no sense for Chinese slaves living in closets, just so the crap gets shipped across the world just for all those materials and energy to be placed inside a landfill in Des Moines.

How many coffee makers and vacuums have I bought through the years? The coffee makers are always the same slowly losing the heating element until something fails. I could pay more, but you have no guarantee it will be any better. Seems like you're renting instead of buying anyways $20 a year. An electric coffee pot for $20 lasts a year, two years for $40, 3 for $60. It's so crazy how this seems planned out. At the lower end, you almost have to wonder if they go out of their ways so this stuff breaks early.

We used the same clothes pins for 40 years. Finally my brother picks some up made in China. Turns out there is about a 40% chance they'll break every time you use them. Why even cut down a tree to make 10c in the clothes pin scam?

Nobody is doing or saying anything about this either. Bad enough they dump stuff, but can't we have a say on the quality?


Planned obsolescence, there is a light bulb in a fire station in California i believe that is over a 100 years old and it still works.So, they can make things last if they want to.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
October 3rd, 2016 at 5:52:05 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

The trick is, buy Walmart brand of hiking shoes. Ozark Trails, $24 But don't hike in them. Just wear them for normal use.

If you need hiking shoes go somewhere else.



I bought them and the eyelet things broke. Damn it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
October 3rd, 2016 at 8:45:42 PM permalink
I was in a good mood earlier it seems. Lol.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
October 3rd, 2016 at 9:02:03 PM permalink
Speaking of tools, heard Sears doesn't honor the lifetime warranty on tools any more. Guess if that's true, they must have been speaking of someone else's lifetime.
I am a robot.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
October 4th, 2016 at 1:37:58 AM permalink
Sounds like Chinese espionage.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3616
Joined: May 22, 2013
October 4th, 2016 at 8:39:33 AM permalink
Pet peeve?

Damn urinals.
Shouldn't be that hard.
They come in dozens (100's?) sizes and shapes and 99% of them splash piss on my thousand dollar tennis shoes. Not to mention my slacks....

They have pee troughs at some stadiums and such, they seem to work OK.

Go to an expensive restuarant ( or casino ) and my damn shoes get wet.

Can't they just design a funnel or something I can pee in ;-?
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
October 4th, 2016 at 8:46:47 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Speaking of tools, heard Sears doesn't honor the lifetime warranty on tools any more. Guess if that's true, they must have been speaking of someone else's lifetime.



not sure about tools but I had them replace a 10 year old 100ft garden hose this summer with no problems.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
October 4th, 2016 at 8:47:22 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Pet peeve?

Damn urinals.
Shouldn't be that hard.
They come in dozens (100's?) sizes and shapes and 99% of them splash piss on my thousand dollar tennis shoes. Not to mention my slacks....

They have pee troughs at some stadiums and such, they seem to work OK.

Go to an expensive restuarant ( or casino ) and my damn shoes get wet.

Can't they just design a funnel or something I can pee in ;-?



cath?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6449
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
October 4th, 2016 at 8:56:29 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Planned obsolescence, there is a light bulb in a fire station in California i believe that is over a 100 years old and it still works.So, they can make things last if they want to.


Livermore's 100-year-old lightbulb (don't let the Snopes URL fool you; it rates a "True")

It's not just "planned obsolescence" in this case; like the article says, two reasons for its longevity are (a) it has a low wattage, and (b) it is never turned off; most light bulbs that "burn out" do so immediately when you turn them on, as that puts strain on the filament. Also, there are "longer-lasting" filament bulbs, advertised as being for places where it is a hassle to change the bulb (for example, in a high ceiling or over a flight of stairs), but the cost-to-usage is much higher than using multiple regular bulbs.

That's not to say that quite a few items in use today are built to be replaced rather than repaired. Name the last time you had a toaster "repaired."
  • Jump to: