Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 10th, 2011 at 12:42:40 PM permalink
Las Tuesday, 4h Jan, I noticed a small rash on my right arm. It itched a little, but otherwise dind't trouble me. By Friday it was still there, but I figured it would go away on its own. Well, Saturday evening I woke up from the post-game nap sratching madly at myself all over. The damn thing had spread to both arms, legs, and parts of my back. have you tried getting a dermatologist on the weekend?

Finally I saw one today. I've eczema or something like that. It's not serious, just annoying. Very annoying. I can't wear stockings until it clears because I need to apply a moisturizer every few hours.

On the other hand I got some good news. I've a small growth on one cheek which I'd neglected for some years. it doesn't bother me and it doesn't do anything. Lately some people told me it could be cancer (it couldn't, at least not melanoma from what I know). So anwyay the dermatologist looked at it and told me it's nothing. He said he could remove it, but that given the location I'd best see a palstic surgeon. <sigh> I wonder if I can get my insurance to pay...

At that, it could have been worse. The rash on the hollow of my elbow at first looked a lot like neurodermatitis. The treatment for that includes medication that makes me sleepy all day long.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
January 10th, 2011 at 12:56:56 PM permalink
For eczema -- go get some hydro-cortisone cream, and some coal tar shampoo. Clean the skin with the tar shampoo and a wash cloth, dry, then put the the hydro on it. That will fix it fast, cheap and easy.

Also, consider allergies -- it is a very common source of an eczema-type skin reaction.

As for the skin growth, look at the edge. Is there a clear boundary or does it kind of fuzz and gradually discolor between the growth and your normal skin? Beware the latter.

-- Dr. Dorothy (not)
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Nareed
Nareed
January 10th, 2011 at 2:00:05 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

For eczema -- go get some hydro-cortisone cream, and some coal tar shampoo. Clean the skin with the tar shampoo and a wash cloth, dry, then put the the hydro on it. That will fix it fast, cheap and easy.

Where were you about $200 ago? :)

Quote:

Also, consider allergies -- it is a very common source of an eczema-type skin reaction.

You know, that's odd. My brothers and sister had allergy problems growing up. I recall we visited an allergy clinic in Houston once a year, and they had shots and pills and other things they took. I never had any problems in that respect. As far as I know I'm not actually allergic to anything.

The doctor thinks it may have been a new moisturizer I began to use about 11 days ago. He says reaction sometimes take days to manifest. Given the rash is in about every part I used it, I think he's right. Lucky for me I use a different one on my face and neck (and there are no problems there)

Quote:

As for the skin growth, look at the edge. Is there a clear boundary or does it kind of fuzz and gradually discolor between the growth and your normal skin? Beware the latter.

Oh, it's clear. Half the time you don't even notice it's there.

Oh, and this about the third dermo who tells me my skin is far from normal. I've had neurodermatitis, as preciously stated, but also rosacea, and some really odd rash when I was 8 or so. The rosacea took me years and several doctors to get rid of.
Nareed
Nareed
January 11th, 2011 at 10:00:46 AM permalink
More good news, of sorts.

The moisturizer I'm using several times a day is much better than what I'd been using on my arms and legs. And it's rather cheap, too, about $8 for a half pound of the stuff (give or take a few grams). I called the doc to ask about using it other than on the visible lessions. He said I should, since my skin's dry to begin with, and that there's no problem with long term use.

I'm responding well to the rest of the treatment, too (hydrocortisone ointment and antihistamines). Swelling and redness are a bit down. Itching is way down.
Nareed
Nareed
January 27th, 2011 at 2:51:22 PM permalink
I called my dermathologist today. That's notable. Usually I'm given a follow-up appointment, but this one said to just call him after a week, tehn after ten more days. I described the progress of the eruption, and he said everything seemed fine. Just about all the rash is gone, save a little redness around the ankles. he told to stop the pills and the hydrocortisone, and just keep moisturizing but only once a day.

So I can wear ankle-high and thigh-high stockings again :)
  • Jump to: