lucyjr $180 $20
Sami B. $143 $0
ConsultantDave $100 $0
FrGamble $90 $10
sunrise089 $90 $10
SportingGoodsMike $90 $10
Dad $45 $5
TOTALS: $6,618 $975
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
July 16th, 2012 at 5:12:24 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Oh, it's there. I'll bet you a thousand dollars that, by volume, any full bottle of the stuff is mostly dihydrogen monoxide. I will warn you it's a sucker bet.

Dihydrogen monoxide? It might, at that. It's also an industrial cleaner, aside from being found in cancer cells :P

Nareed...it took me until the 2nd post. Nice one!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 16th, 2012 at 6:47:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Nareed is being a dork.

Do you kow the rules regarding personal insults?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
July 16th, 2012 at 6:52:58 AM permalink

Do you kow the rules regarding personal insults?

I live on the edge..... It would be a personal insult if I said you ARE a dork. I said you were BEING a dork. That is, you were exhibiting dork-like tendencies, though perhaps you are not a dork.

Seriously--- if you were the king---- would you suspend me? How bland do you want the forum to be?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 16th, 2012 at 7:47:47 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

This is false. I don't have a local Kroger.

Jesus man, do you work for this company? Or own way too much stock in them?

As stated previously, any grocery store falling under the Kroger umbrella (including stores such as Ralph's) should be running this same sale.

I do not work for nor do I own any stock in Glaceau. I was mainly being silly, though I do think Vitamin Water Zero is an excellent product. It's not worth the retail of $1.25/bottle, I'll admit that, so I stock up when it is on sale. If I run out and there is no sale, I will get the Kroger, "Zero Calorie Vitamin Enhanced Water Beverage," they're pretty good, too, but the blackberry is not quite as tasty and there is no lemonade one.

The Kroger brand Acai Fruit Punch, however, is divine.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
July 16th, 2012 at 9:46:38 AM permalink

I live on the edge..... It would be a personal insult if I said you ARE a dork. I said you were BEING a dork. That is, you were exhibiting dork-like tendencies, though perhaps you are not a dork.

Seriously--- if you were the king---- would you suspend me? How bland do you want the forum to be?

Indeed, that is on the edge of the "no personal insults" rule. Personally, I find the word "dork" can be used in a somewhat complimentary fashion. For example, if a friend said I was a "math dork," I would not be offended, and consider it a compliment to my math abilities. However, if it was somebody I didn't know well, I would take it as an insult to my personality. Maybe a bad comparison, but we were recently talking about how the word gorda can be taken both ways in Spanish in the SWD thread.

However, Nareed evidently was insulted by it. Given that, I'm going to have to say that does come very close to crossing the line. You're also a valued member of the forum, but I don't want to give the impression that certain members are above the rules. You may recall that I banned BoyMimbo before, and he is also a valued member.

So, please be more careful. Also, don't forget that the "block" feature is there for a reason.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 16th, 2012 at 2:02:16 PM permalink
I will accept whatever decision you make, as it is your forum and I am your guest. Context is everything. Nareed was slyly poking fun at another member for him not knowing what the chemical structure of water was. It is clearly in that context I referred to Nareed's behavior as dorkish. It's the same way I would have responded to any of my best friends, or my sons, for that matter. I think the forum will be worse off if a member is afraid to respond as I did.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 16th, 2012 at 3:26:37 PM permalink

I will accept whatever decision you make, as it is your forum and I am your guest. Context is everything. Nareed was slyly poking fun at another member for him not knowing what the chemical structure of water was. It is clearly in that context I referred to Nareed's behavior as dorkish. It's the same way I would have responded to any of my best friends, or my sons, for that matter. I think the forum will be worse off if a member is afraid to respond as I did.

It seemed to me that the term "dork" was used by SOOPOO collegially, in a friendly way, the same way that Nareed was having fun with Mission 146. I feel bad that Nareed took it personally, though. It was pretty obviously meant in fun.
A falling knife has no handle.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 16th, 2012 at 4:23:18 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

It seemed to me that the term "dork" was used by SOOPOO collegially, in a friendly way, the same way that Nareed was having fun with Mission 146. I feel bad that Nareed took it personally, though. It was pretty obviously meant in fun.

Thanks, oh voice of reason!
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
July 16th, 2012 at 4:50:25 PM permalink

Total agreement. It took me reading through her second post before I got it, too. I was being a dork and not paying attention (did I just insult myself? I'm afraid I did. I should stop posting now....Come on, man).

Is there some way I could "pre-pay" a few penalties? I don't have any targets in mind, but occassionally we have someone drop in that is just begging for a little sarcasm. (Mine will always flirt with the line so I'd rather get the penalty phase out of the way now).
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 16th, 2012 at 7:37:16 PM permalink

Thanks, oh voice of reason!

I'd even say that I thought Nareed's retort was also in jest. I can only assume it escalated outside of my view.
A falling knife has no handle.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
July 17th, 2012 at 12:39:01 AM permalink

It is just my opinion, obviously, but I found it rubbed me the wrong way when you referred to Nareed as a "he". Nareed has made it clear that she wants to be referred to as a female. You've said before, SOOPOO, that you wouldn't consider her a female until and if she has a sex change operation. But regardless of whether this is done or not I think out of respect you should refer to her as a "she". Again, it is about respect. Purposely referring to her as a "he" when you know she doesn't want to be referred to as a he is disrespectful. But it is just my opinion and ultimately it comes down to how Nareed feels about it. But that just rubbed me the wrong way.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
July 17th, 2012 at 3:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Nareed has made it clear that she wants to be referred to as a female.

I want to be referred to as Supreme Master of the Universe.

You may consider yourself "disrespectful" to me when you refuse to respect my every wish ... but that is still a long way from insulting.

Some people just need to grow up and realize, that not everything they wish must come true ... and that everybody else around them is not here for the sole purpose of making them happy.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
July 17th, 2012 at 3:55:44 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I took it exactly the same way, just friendly banter -- Nareed had an amusing gotcha for those not trained in chemistry or never having seen the term, and it has an apparently erudite feel that makes it seem much more than it really is. Too bad it was viewed otherwise.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
July 17th, 2012 at 4:02:15 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Some people just need to grow up and realize, that not everything they wish must come true ... and that everybody else around them is not here for the sole purpose of making them happy.

That idea cuts in two directions.
weaselman
weaselman
July 17th, 2012 at 4:03:15 AM permalink
Quote: UP84

That idea cuts in two directions.

It does?

Let me clarify my question. What the hell are you talking about?
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 17th, 2012 at 5:27:13 AM permalink
anyone can be hurtful and insulting,
it takes real guts to be friendly and kind.
if you have hurt someone's feelings,
the right thing to do is to apologize,
not to say "get over it".
i have been guilty of insults in the past,
but honestly feel better after apologizing and
trying to be friendly.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 17th, 2012 at 5:34:38 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

I want to be referred to as Supreme Master of the Universe.

You may consider yourself "disrespectful" to me when you refuse to respect my every wish ... but that is still a long way from insulting.

Your Highness will do it for me. I like Nareed but I find it difficult to refer to him as a her. Hopefully that won't be cause for suspension some day. I'm keeping an open mind and am willing to learn.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
WongBo
WongBo
July 17th, 2012 at 7:58:29 AM permalink
actually gender identity is not the same as sexuality,
but i agree that it shouldn't be a topic of discussion
and it is insulting that someone even brought it up.
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2012 at 9:08:54 AM permalink

Again, it is about respect. Purposely referring to her as a "he" when you know she doesn't want to be referred to as a he is disrespectful. But it is just my opinion and ultimately it comes down to how Nareed feels about it. But that just rubbed me the wrong way.

That's a part of it, and a big part at that.

I know a lot of people are jerks who don't care to grant me, or other transgendered people, that minimum of respect. But it's worse when it comes from people who profess to like me, or who even say they're sympathetic and then slap me with their atitude. Here I can block them, and I do. Naturally they can do as they want, but don't expect me to just lie down and take it.

I don't want to derail the thread further, though, so that's all I'll say about it here.
weaselman
weaselman
July 17th, 2012 at 9:12:06 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

and it is insulting that someone even brought it up.

Who would that be I wonder?
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 17th, 2012 at 9:24:57 AM permalink
Quote:

Insulting that I bring it up? Really? That's a stretch.

They are not referring to you. The comment is directly after another.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
July 17th, 2012 at 11:34:05 AM permalink
Tis lucky that thread hi-jacking is not a punishable offense, or else there would be a lot of RED members on my screen right now. ;-)
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 17th, 2012 at 1:07:47 PM permalink

That's a part of it, and a big part at that.

I know a lot of people are jerks who don't care to grant me, or other transgendered people, that minimum of respect. But it's worse when it comes from people who profess to like me, or who even say they're sympathetic and then slap me with their atitude. Here I can block them, and I do. Naturally they can do as they want, but don't expect me to just lie down and take it.

I don't want to derail the thread further, though, so that's all I'll say about it here.

Yes, anyone who disagrees with you or doesn't do as you wish must be a jerk. I doubt that I am the only one. If it will make you feel better to call me a jerk directly instead of implying it go right ahead.

I won't go crying to the Wizard, the secret moderators or anyone else.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 17th, 2012 at 1:33:43 PM permalink
Nareed, ignore 1BB. She's being a bit of a dork.

(smiley, smiley, smiley).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 17th, 2012 at 2:03:49 PM permalink

I did NOT refer to nareed as a male. My sentence infers that Nareed would be replacing the WIZ, who is the 'king' of this forum. Geez... get a life!
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 17th, 2012 at 2:04:29 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Nareed, ignore 1BB. She's being a bit of a dork.

(smiley, smiley, smiley).

You like to live dangerously ??
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 17th, 2012 at 2:09:07 PM permalink

And I told SOOPOO a couple days ago that I don't want to fight with him, I never wanted to. But if you all remember the two things that have always bothered me about him was the fact that he would insult me and be disrespectful towards me. No one seemed to believe me since most of it was done in person-to-person contact between he and I. We're all human, and we all make mistakes and push boundaries. But I'm hoping SOOPOO is starting to see how he does this. In the past he only seemed to defend himself and claim that he does no wrong.

Please quote when I called Nareed a he on the forum. If you can find it I will apolologize for it. If you want me to be able to quote things from our 'person-to person' contact just let me know. I'd be happy to do so.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
July 17th, 2012 at 2:09:46 PM permalink

I did NOT refer to nareed as a male. My sentence infers that Nareed would be replacing the WIZ, who is the 'king' of this forum. Geez... get a life!

You did right here. This is what Nareed said mostly offended her:

Nareed is being a dork. He is referring to water.

Those are your own words.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 17th, 2012 at 7:04:18 PM permalink

Thank you, HB. I hereby officially apologize to Nareed. I was too busy focusing on the subject matter to carefully choose the correct pronoun.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
July 17th, 2012 at 7:17:11 PM permalink

Thank you, HB. I hereby officially apologize to Nareed. I was too busy focusing on the subject matter to carefully choose the correct pronoun.

My wife, who has a degree in English, says that you have nothing to apologize for Soopoo, as "he" in modern English can be considered a "gender-neutral" pronoun. Of course, she added, some in society today find it to be prejudicial.

Anyway....can't we find more constructive things to talk about?
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 17th, 2012 at 7:22:23 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

My wife, who has a degree in English, says that you have nothing to apologize for Soopoo, as "he" in modern English can be considered a "gender-neutral" pronoun. Of course, she added, some in society today find it to be prejudicial.

OF COURSE i agree with you! HB breaking the 190 barrier is what we should all be talking about. I'm NOT betting any more than I already have, but I think I would need to make HB a 1- 2 FAVORITE right now!
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2012 at 8:04:14 PM permalink

My wife, who has a degree in English, says that you have nothing to apologize for Soopoo, as "he" in modern English can be considered a "gender-neutral" pronoun.

Your wife couldn't be more wrong.

In the second place, you can use the pronoun "he" as neutral only when you're not referring to a specific person, and/or when the gender of a person is not known.

And in the first place, it's rude to use gender-neutral pronouns when referring to a specific person.

Quote:

Not if you keep dredging this up.
avargov
avargov
July 17th, 2012 at 8:15:19 PM permalink

In the second place, you can use the pronoun "he" as neutral only when you're not referring to a specific person, and/OR when the gender of a person is not known.

Wouldn't this technically be the correct usage then? And if not, then the gender specific "he" would have been used correctly.

Moreover, I don't keep "dredging this up". I made one comment after days of discussion.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2012 at 8:17:06 PM permalink

Wouldn't this technically be the correct usage then?

Now you're being deliberately offensive.
avargov
avargov
July 17th, 2012 at 8:29:47 PM permalink
Am I? Or could it perhaps be a completely valid point that you choose not to agree with?

Either way, I have already asked that we discuss things that are relevant. I couldn't care less about your gender choice, it doesn't factor in my opinion of you. I find you to be a compelling poster that I enjoy reading. I do, however, feel SOOPOO was unjustly taken to task over a pronoun. I hope you can agree with that. If not, I fear I could be wrong in my assessment of your character, at least what is shown here.
WongBo
WongBo
July 17th, 2012 at 8:33:05 PM permalink
so you are now grandstanding to make a point because of some religious or political opinion you have about the subject.

reprehensible
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
July 17th, 2012 at 8:50:26 PM permalink
This thread is a split-off from the Hot Blonde Challenge thread. While doing the split off, Aragov posted this comment, which I'm moving here, and then busting in the HB thread.

Wongbo, we have been through this before. I have no, let me repeat that, no religious or political opinion at all on the issue. As I have said before, I couldn't care less what somebody chooses to do, unless it affects me personally. This nonsense certainly doesn't affect me. There is no grandstanding here. However, I will not back down from my stance regarding SOOPOO.

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
July 17th, 2012 at 8:55:33 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

so you are now grandstanding to make a point because of some religious or political opinion you have about the subject.

reprehensible

Remember the last PM conversation we had?
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
July 17th, 2012 at 9:18:34 PM permalink
if a he wants to be referred to as a she or a she referred to as a he regardless of whatever they got down there, then out of respect refer to them as that. if it bothers you out of some kind of religious ideology crap then just use the word you or their name. its really not that complicated.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
July 18th, 2012 at 5:31:01 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This thread is a split-off from the Hot Blonde Challenge thread...

That explains why I completely missed all these arguments. Because of my own weight problems, and because I'll be in Vegas for G2E, two weeks before the weigh-in, I kinda ignored that thread.

Sadly, upon seeing this thread, the first thing I did was look up "dihydrogen monoxide."

Referring to Nareed as "he" is insulting, but for very different reasons than if someone were to refer to HotBlonde as "he."

It was gerenally understood, from her very first post, that it's extremely unlikely for any guy to call himself "HotBlonde." So HotBlonde is a "she" by default.

It's not so obvious for Nareed. First off, what the hell does "Nareed" mean? Secondly, forums such as this tend to be dominiated by guys. So shouldn't the use of "he" be excusable?

On the other hand, there are several undisputable facts about Nareed:
- She is the number 1 poster here.
- She has made many posts referring to her orientation, dress, and transformation.
- She has appeared, as a woman, at WoVCon ][, from which a group photo appeared here, which garnered some comments about her appearance. I forget if those comments drew a suspension, or just a warning.
- Most importantly, this topic comes up repeatedly.

On those points, it seems acceptable to vilify SooPoo for refering to Nareed as "he."

On the other other hand, and particularly since SooPoo has now apologized, can't his use of "he" be considered a brain fart and/or typo?

Dang it, let it go. Don't get so hung up on this type of thing.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
Nareed
Nareed
July 18th, 2012 at 7:14:56 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

On the other other hand, and particularly since SooPoo has now apologized, can't his use of "he" be considered a brain fart and/or typo?

No.

In the first palce, that was not all that he did. In the second place, he repeated it over three posts and then denied he did it. In the third palce, he repeated the other insult at least once more, while flaunting that he got away with insulting me in the first place. In the fourth place, there are other things going on I cannot reveal per forum rules.

But let me give you some advice: when a woman tells you she's angry at you, thread carefully.
Nareed
Nareed
July 18th, 2012 at 8:08:14 AM permalink

Dang it, let it go. Don't get so hung up on this type of thing.

I can't. And I shouldn't, either.

There is still too much hostility towards the transgender. Using the wrong pronoun may seem to be a minor thing, but it isn't. using it on purpose, in repeated occasions, making a point to use it at every opportunity, is a way to disqualify, to belittle, to ridicule and to otherwise express hostility and contempt.

Consider that when you hear about people like Agnes Torres, Brandon Teena, Gwen Araujo and many other transgender women and men who wind up brutally murdered.

For me it is that serious.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 18th, 2012 at 12:28:27 PM permalink

I can't. And I shouldn't, either.There is still too much hostility towards the transgender. Using the wrong pronoun may seem to be a minor thing, but it isn't. using it on purpose, in repeated occasions, making a point to use it at every opportunity, is a way to disqualify, to belittle, to ridicule and to otherwise express hostility and contempt. For me it is that serious.

People get to define what offends them. If they are totally clear an unambiguous then that is the end of the story. Other people have an obligation to respect their wish regardless of their own opinion.

My former half uncle is a trans-gender. People in my family refuse to use the feminine pronoun. They will take that attitude to their grave.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 18th, 2012 at 4:32:24 PM permalink

No.

In the first palce, that was not all that he did. In the second place, he repeated it over three posts and then denied he did it. In the third palce, he repeated the other insult at least once more, while flaunting that he got away with insulting me in the first place. In the fourth place, there are other things going on I cannot reveal per forum rules.

But let me give you some advice: when a woman tells you she's angry at you, thread carefully.

Nareed wants special rules applied to her. The single 'he' that I used was unintentional, I can assure you, as I didn't even remember doing it, and have since apologized for. As far as the 'dork' comment, I have told you and others that is something I wouldn't have even blinked an eye at had it been used to define me, or my loved ones. Nareed is just far too sensitive, always looking for an instance of being aggrieved, rather than trying to look at the overall context of what was said. I won't waste time with dredging up old quotes, but I recall MANY personal insults lobbed by Nareed at mkl in the good old days... I never once paid them any mind, nor begged the Wiz to suspend her. I am happy to release you from the 'can't share private message' rule, as I am extremely comfortable that anything I pm'd you I would be comfortable discussing in open forum. I just thought that YOU might not want to, so I was protecting YOUR privacy.
Really, Nareed, you need to channel some of your anger towards those you should be angry with, not the doctor who was ALWAYS willing to listen to your medical stories, provide specific advice, and ALWAYS respect your decision to live your life the way you see fit.
Hopefully you can make to Vegas in October for the HB weigh in, I'll buy you a beer, we will chat, and you won't hate me, I can promise you...
Nareed
Nareed
July 18th, 2012 at 7:41:25 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

My former half uncle is a trans-gender. People in my family refuse to use the feminine pronoun. They will take that attitude to their grave.

I see neither do you.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
July 19th, 2012 at 5:59:46 AM permalink

I see neither do you.

Care to elaborate?
It sounds like you're taking offense to Paco's statement.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
Nareed
Nareed
July 19th, 2012 at 6:59:38 AM permalink

Care to elaborate?
It sounds like you're taking offense to Paco's statement.

I regret posting it a little since I don't know all the circumstances. But it is rather incongrous to use a male-specific term to refer to a woman, then complain the family does so as well.
WongBo
WongBo
July 19th, 2012 at 7:34:56 AM permalink
he did say "former", which is nicer than most.
but he does have to convey somehow that the person was born male.
what is proper? to say MTF? or to say my aunt who is transgendered?
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
July 19th, 2012 at 7:38:50 AM permalink
Well, let's break it down.
Quote: pacomartin

"Half" probably refers to some type of marriage situation, the similar to a "half brother." I seriously doubt it's got anything to do with being trans-gender.

"Former" is an establishing remark. Clearly indicating a status that no longer applies.

"People in my family..." excludes himself.

"They..." excludes himself.

It sounds like you are upset because you would have preferred if Paco had written, "My half aunt is ...." rather than "My former half uncle is ...."

If I have all the facst right, I find nothing wrong with what Paco did.
  • Jump to: