buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 5th, 2012 at 8:43:56 PM permalink
Just saw the Good Father on here, and not trying to start another religious thread.

But Switch got me started on Focus group thread and this one set of lines has always resonated with me. I am old enough i saw the movie when it was first realized.

Does anybody find this respectful, insightful, or whatever? I will post my thoughts later.

Tuco ( UGLY) to Father Pablo Ramirez

[To his brother Pablo] You think you're better than I am? Where we came from, if one did not want to die of poverty, one became a priest or a bandit! You chose your way, I chose mine. Mine was harder. You talk of our mother and father. You remember when you left to become a priest? I stayed behind! I must have been ten, twelve. I don't remember which, but I stayed. I tried, but it was no good. Now I am going to tell you something. You became a priest because you were... too much of a coward to do what I do!
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 5th, 2012 at 8:45:49 PM permalink
Teddybear, check your mail
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 5th, 2012 at 10:15:25 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

J You became a priest because you were... too much of a coward to do what I do!

What, to be engaged in the real world?
"What, me worry?"
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
April 5th, 2012 at 10:30:52 PM permalink
Tuco: There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend:
Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting.

Blondie: You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
April 6th, 2012 at 6:57:26 AM permalink
I thought this thread might be about Good Friday. Good Friday is at the same time good (the loving sacrifice for our salvation), bad (sin is the reason we need to be saved) and ugly (the crucifixion).

I have never seen the movie however what strikes me about this quote is I wonder what the priest is too cowardly to do? Is Tuco saying he was too cowardly to become a bandit and do evil? Well, we all know it is often easier to do bad than to do good. When times get tough the cowardly and weak far too often choose the easy path of sin and selfishness to just take care of me, myself, and I. I imagine there is some middle ground between priest and bandit that Tuco could have chosen yet he found it too hard and chickened out to become a bandit and used his hardships as an excuse. Anyway, just a thought.
  • Jump to: