MarieBicurie
MarieBicurie
  • Threads: 4
March 17th, 2012 at 9:18:27 PM permalink
Is taking the bible, if you are taking it with the intent to read it, stealing? I'm guessing the Gideons would be okay with it.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 17th, 2012 at 9:35:31 PM permalink
The Gideons encourage you to take the copy. I think it's on the cover or just inside of it.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 17th, 2012 at 9:35:31 PM permalink
Quote: MarieBicurie

Is taking the bible, if you are taking it with the intent to read it, stealing? I'm guessing the Gideons would be okay with it.

Maybe not. But what's the point?

Anyway, I will sometimes take a note pad and a pen, but only if I need them. If there are envelopes, I'll sometimes take one to put receipts in. Also, I collect, half-heartedly, the tiny bottles of body lotion found in hotels. But since those are meant to be used I don't think I'm actually stealing them.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 17th, 2012 at 9:42:42 PM permalink
It's okay to steal a Gideon.

Quote: MSNBC

“We’ll likely reach the 2 billion mark within the next few years,” said Gideon International spokesman Woody Murray, from the old Bridgestone-Firestone headquarters in Nashville, Tenn., the organization has occupied since 2003 (tours available).

Each Bible costs the Gideons about $5.

Operating purely on donations, with no advertising or vast Internet outreach...

Bibles and pocket-sized New Testaments are given away to hotels, motels, prisons and hospitals at a rate of 2.5 every second of every day — 1.5 million per week — with the hope that souls are bound to be saved.

'Take the Bible, not the towels'
They are spiritual staples of nearly every hotel room and the only item guests are invited to steal.

“We don’t mind that at all,” said Murray. “Our statistics show one-quarter of all travelers will read the Bible in the hotel rooms and each Bible has the potential to reach 2,300 people over its six-year life expectancy.”

So Bible theft isn’t a sin?

“Not at all,” Murray said. “We often get notes in the mail with a contribution from someone saying, ‘Sorry, I took the Bible, but it saved my life.’ Take the Bible, not the towels.”

They'll be replaced. Take the Greenbrier, a luxury resort in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va. "The Greenbrier has Gideon Bibles in every room and keeps a stack handy to replace the 25 to 50 each year that are removed by guests," said resort spokesperson Lynn Swann.

----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
March 17th, 2012 at 9:56:17 PM permalink
I always take the soaps pens and pads of paper but that's about it. I don't think I would call that stealing, the soap was provided for me to use, and using the pens and note pads is free advertising. Never taken anything of real value, though I often check the brands of the pillows if they are comfortable.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 17th, 2012 at 10:03:15 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Maybe not. But what's the point?

Anyway, I will sometimes take a note pad and a pen, but only if I need them. If there are envelopes, I'll sometimes take one to put receipts in. Also, I collect, half-heartedly, the tiny bottles of body lotion found in hotels. But since those are meant to be used I don't think I'm actually stealing them.

Cheap hotels spend less than a dollar on shampoos and soaps only cost the hotel. Some people even encourage you to steal them and give them to the local homeless shelter. Pens and stationary are usually advertisements.

Conditioning Shampoo, .25 OZ PACKETS 500 for $59 or 12 cents apiece
Conditioning Shampoo, .75 OZ Boston Round Bottles 288 $78.88 or 27 cents apiece

Expensive hotels can spend up to $50 per room on high end bath products. The hotel owners pass that cost on in the hotel room price. But the manufacturers of the quality products consider it good advertising and sell for close to cost. They get a lot of long term customers who first try a product in a pricy hotel room.

In a similar manner both beds, sheets, and bedspreads are now sold to hotel room guests. Ritz Carlton sells their mattresses and box spring sets for up to $2000 for king size. So the hotel stay is partly advertising for these products.
DanMahowny
DanMahowny
  • Threads: 8
March 18th, 2012 at 1:19:35 AM permalink
This reminds me of a complaint to a hotel manager I once heard about:

"Your towels are too big and thick. I couldn't close the lid on my suitcase."
"I don't have a gambling problem. I have a financial problem."
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 18th, 2012 at 1:38:16 AM permalink
After loading up everything that isnt nailed down,
i like to track down housekeeping and raid the supply of goodies on the cart.
I never take anything that could be billed to the cc,
but i have been tempted to take the clock radio a few times...
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1264
March 18th, 2012 at 3:59:48 AM permalink
I like to promote Natalie Tran whenever I can, because I watch her videos over and over. Here is one on this topic: Free Stuff is Better.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
March 18th, 2012 at 4:01:37 AM permalink
I always "steal" the little bath products.

I assume that health department regulations would require that they be thrown away when a guest checks out, even if unopened. If that assumption is true, then it isn't stealing.

I will sometimes wrap my wet toothbrush in one of those little hand towels when packing.

Other than that, I don't take anything.

On the other hand, I can't stand hotel hangers that can't be removed from the rod. As a result, I often bring a half dozen wire hangers and leave them behind.

Quote: boymimbo/MSNBC

Our statistics show one-quarter of all travelers will read the Bible in the hotel rooms.

25%? I find that hard to believe.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗

• Jump to: