EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
October 6th, 2011 at 3:13:21 AM permalink
I think we can safely compare Steve Jobs to
Thomas Edison, in that his products touched
and changed peoples lives all over the world.
Edison with the light bulb and phonograph, and
Jobs with his computers and communication
devices. Its a sad commentary when you can
have the wealth of Steve Jobs, and it can't help you
live past your mid 50's. John Rockefeller lived
to 99, its all about genetics.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 6th, 2011 at 3:54:07 AM permalink

The guy was 2.5 years older than me.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 6th, 2011 at 7:02:43 AM permalink
He'll be remembered best as the man who made Pixar what it is, and who managed to provide music and video online.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 6th, 2011 at 8:12:29 AM permalink
For me, he's the guy that turned the mp3 player into something usable, desirable and everyday; turned around to failing companies into massive worldwide properties, and help create the worlds first rock and roll personal computer, the NeXT... Everyone using Apple OS today is using part of the old nextstep operating system, that dates back to 1986. Even in 1995 when I was working on my masters with them they were head and shoulders above almost everything else as far as usability.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
October 6th, 2011 at 10:43:16 AM permalink
I learned how to program on an Apple IIe in 6th grade in Applesoft Basic or whatever it was called.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
October 6th, 2011 at 10:49:00 AM permalink
Steve Job's first and great accomplishment was developing an inexpensive and easy to use home computer. Apple did so well in this area it forced IBM to develop and release the PC. IBM would not have done this unless as a response to the market that was essentially created by Apple.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1317
October 6th, 2011 at 11:11:58 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

I learned how to program on an Apple IIe in 6th grade in Applesoft Basic or whatever it was called.

Me too, but in 12th grade. Life changing experience. Half way through the class I knew I had found my calling in life. My teacher referred to the language as just "Basic." Not to be confused with the Visual Basic we have today. Apple basic was more like Fortran.

My father purchased an Apple II as well, and I spent most of my free time writing programs for whatever I could think of. I think I still have my old floppy disks of programs somewhere.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
October 6th, 2011 at 11:25:14 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Steve Job's first and great accomplishment was developing an inexpensive and easy to use home computer. Apple did so well in this area it forced IBM to develop and release the PC. IBM would not have done this unless as a response to the market that was essentially created by Apple.

Hell, everyone copied whatever Apple released! Not just computer-related either. Microsoft copied every release of the Apple OS but did it terribly. When Apple unveiled the bondi blue iMac, then added the other colors couple years later, every manufacturer followed suit, not just computers, but TV remotes, microwaves, phones, etc all came out with similar pastel colors to select. The Diamond Rio mp3 player came out in 1996 or so, but the iPod made it fashionable and easy. Cell phones were around for years, but again, the iPhone set a trend, and every other cell maker tried to copy the look. All Apple products just exude quality and thoughtful design, unlike all the copycats with their plasticy crap. Jobs made Apple the most respected company in the world and the second most profitable (after ExxonMobil) so let's hope it continues.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 6th, 2011 at 11:30:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Me too, but in 12th grade. Life changing experience. Half way through the class I knew I had found my calling in life. My teacher referred to the language as just "Basic." Not to be confused with the Visual Basic we have today. Apple basic was more like Fortran.

I vaguely recall hearing about Fortran...

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer. But my first real one was an Apple ][e. I ahd also used an Apple ][ plain at school. I learned a little Basic, later on some pascal, but programming never drew me in. At the office I worked on another Apple ][e for a few years before gradauting to a PC

That's the extent of my experience with Apple. Oh, I used a Mac once briefly back in the 80s, and recently an iPad for short periods. IMO after Jobs returned and Apple took off, starting with the iMac, there was a lot of hype. I remember the reviews of the iMac centered on "It's blue" and you could buy it in other colors, too. That and the design of the casing.

That would have been a compelling argument, had I been looking to get an ornament or some other tcotchke, but for a computer it fell far, far short. Since then I just can't take the Mac as a serious computer. And all I do with mine is email, web, games and word processing (and BOINC).

I've no idea how much Jobs, or Apple, had to do with the spin at that time, but that doesn't diminish Jobs' genius at business. If he sold the sizzle rather than the steak, and people kept coming back again and again, then he was a consumate salesman. And I suppose if apple were all sizzle and no steak, then repeat busines would have been small indeed. The numbers hint otherwise.

If nothign else, though, we have Jobs to thank for Pixar. The technological aspects aside, Pixar has produced some really good movies, like Toy Story 2, Ratatouille and The Incredibles, that are a lot more than mere animation eye candy.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
LowPingBoy
LowPingBoy
  • Threads: 2
October 6th, 2011 at 11:49:22 AM permalink
We would not be in space were it not for FORTRAN and to this day nearly all NASA mission critical code is FORTRAN. Maybe not the best for GUI, but if you need to crunch numbers it is hard to beat. Really nice for those 1+ million trial simulations. 64 bit, Core i7 processor, all running off an SSD or in ram, blink your eye and have the result. Just updated my compiler to the 2011 version, - somebody other than me must be using it.

LPB

• Jump to: