DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
June 30th, 2011 at 12:33:14 PM permalink
How can a computer chess program cheat, you might ask? This has to be the biggest chess scandal since the K-K match.

Rybka Cheats

I love to play chess against computers ... OK, I'm basically addicted ... Fruit and Crafty take me to the cleaners every time ... Now I know why Rybka is so good.

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
June 30th, 2011 at 12:51:35 PM permalink
removed
silly
I Heart Vi Hart
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 30th, 2011 at 1:03:34 PM permalink
The status of Human vs Computer nowadays seems to be that the best chess masters are expected to lose, not to say they can't compete perhaps. Kramnik in 2006 was the last to really try. The games I think get kind of weird with the techniques that are tried against the computer.

This current issue is about plagiarizing the programming it seems.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
June 30th, 2011 at 1:27:10 PM permalink
Quote: mustangsally

Leibniz and Newton were the first I believe. hehe

Not so fast ...

Newton Vs. Leibniz

Obviously the first to plagiarize was John who copied ancient myths on savior archetypes in his story of Jesus.

Fun fun fun link
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 30th, 2011 at 2:35:02 PM permalink
A bit off topic, sorry, but is there any comparable poker championship for computers?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 30th, 2011 at 3:09:37 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

How can a computer chess program cheat, you might ask? This has to be the biggest chess scandal since the K-K match.

Rybka Cheats

I love to play chess against computers ... OK, I'm basically addicted ... Fruit and Crafty take me to the cleaners every time ... Now I know why Rybka is so good.

--Ms. D.

Gah, 90% of computer code is borrowing on the patterns of other code anyways, that's how software improves over time.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 30th, 2011 at 3:57:01 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A bit off topic, sorry, but is there any comparable poker championship for computers?

Start with the U of Alberta site.
http://poker.cs.ualberta.ca/
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
June 30th, 2011 at 4:24:26 PM permalink

Rybka Cheats

--Ms. D.

Nice find Ms.D
After doing some reading about the subject, seems IF Rybka was NOT 'winning' no one would bother about the code issues.

Like the US getting involved in wars in countries where oil is produced and not in countries where bananas are aplenty...
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 1st, 2011 at 6:17:44 AM permalink

The program doesn't cheat, it's the coder who was (allegedly) at fault.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
July 1st, 2011 at 8:34:14 AM permalink
Quote: P90

The program doesn't cheat, it's the coder who was (allegedly) at fault.

Well, yes, you are right, in the sense that no program for anything can ever cheat -- given that all such programs are only following the code of the designer, ergo it is always the designer who is unethical in some fashion, not his program.

I personally thought the anthropomorphic wording was clever of me. Guess you didn't.

--Ms. D.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 1st, 2011 at 8:36:45 AM permalink

Well, yes, you are right, in the sense that no program for anything can ever cheat -- given that all such programs are only following the code of the designer, ergo it is always the designer who is unethical in some fashion, not his program.

Cheating is acting against set rules or gaining an unfair advantage over a competitor. In that sense, if the program is coded to do that then the program is cheating.

Quote:

I personally thought the anthropomorphic metaphor was clever. Guess you didn't.

It would have flown a lot farther, but maybe not better, in an Isaac Asimov board. You'd have been lectured on the Frankenstein Complex, too ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: