Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 6th, 2011 at 2:57:42 PM permalink
I do know about the backgammon based game that is or was being tested somewhere in the Evil Empire (TM). That's not what I'm looking for.

Are there any places in vegas to play pick-up backgammon games, or maybe tournaments? I used to play a lot growing up. On two trips to Israel long ago I must have played over 1,000 games, if not more. It was like the national pastime then (for all I know it still is). But it's been years since I've played against anyone other than a computer game (and I know how to beat it 90% of the time).

I don't need to play for money, but I also don't mind betting a little on a few games.

Any pointers?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 6th, 2011 at 4:00:10 PM permalink
That was tested at O'Sheas.

I'm afraid no good answer from me on the backgammon. Bob Dancer used to be a professional backgammon player. I think he played at private clubs in the LA area. There are probably such clubs in Vegas too.

This is getting a bit out of my area but computer analysis has changed what is considered proper backgammon strategy the last 20 years. Simulations have shown that in the past the game was played too cautiously.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
January 6th, 2011 at 4:23:24 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm afraid no good answer from me on the backgammon.

All I know is I can't beat WOO at backgammon nor have I seen anyone else beat him.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
Nareed
Nareed
January 6th, 2011 at 4:51:17 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That was tested at O'Sheas.

I'm afraid no good answer from me on the backgammon. Bob Dancer used to be a professional backgammon player. I think he played at private clubs in the LA area. There are probably such clubs in Vegas too.

Thanks. I'll google it as time permits.

I've a vague memory of my late grandmother talking about a backgammon tourney somewhere in Vegas, but that would have been all the way back in the late 70s. I hear things have changed a little since then...

Quote:

This is getting a bit out of my area but computer analysis has changed what is considered proper backgammon strategy the last 20 years. Simulations have shown that in the past the game was played too cautiously.

I learned to play cautiously against my cousin in Jerusalem, otherwise he'd wipe the board with me. He couldn't forgive an open piece.
Nareed
Nareed
January 10th, 2011 at 2:49:00 PM permalink
As my brain slowly kicks in.... Anyone interested in playing backgammon online? we could meet at yahoo games or some other free site (I presume free, at any rate). Send me a PM if you're interested and we'll set a date.
  • Jump to: