Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 245
Thanked by
DRich
September 23rd, 2024 at 11:02:58 AM permalink
About a month ago, I was at a bar eating lunch when I started talking to a man a stool away. He had the bearing of an ex-cop or soldier and it turned out he was retired from the NYPD, and vaguely knew a few friends I mentioned. He'd lived on Long Island and moved to Arizona after getting divorced. When I asked him what he did now, his answer floored me.
He replied- I feed the hungry. He makes up bags of food and hygiene items and gives them to people who need them.
There was no writing a check, no middleman, just direct action. I gave him a donation and was going to give a bigger one when I thought, why not try this myself?
I spent $500 on Amazon on food, hygiene items, and socks and made thirty drawstring bags. A couple of people do something similar on YouTube, so I spent about a hundred hours studying them. My first venture was a rainy Sunday night, and I got an unbelievable feeling when I handed out the bags.
My first night I saw two elderly women pushing overstuffed shopping carts. They got very defensive when I approached them so I just put two bags on the ground and left. I met one of them Friday night, and we talked briefly. The other woman is her mother, and they have only been homeless for six months.
Doing this fits many of my interests. I started with a budget of $500 and then researched how to get the best bang for the buck.
Scanning multiple auctions, I was able to come up with a few dozen blankets, 12 FEMA emergency sleeping bags, and 1,000 pieces of surplus hotel courtesy kits- soap, shampoo, body lotion, razor., etc.

It takes a couple of hours on one night to assemble the bags, which cost between eight and eleven dollars, depending on their content. Currently, each bag holds two or three days' worth of food and hygiene. I also make up plastic bags with an apple, a banana, a granola bar, and a Little Debbie snack for when I run out of the bigger bags.

My original thought was to seed $10,000 and occasionally add more as it came in, but then it occurred to me that putting $20,000 into
a dedicated fund would give me a few hundred a month to pursue my hobby while possibly growing the investment.

Tucson has strange laws about feeding the homeless. I'm supposed to take two three-hour courses and pay $250 for a permit to feed the homeless, but they give you months to complete the process.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 123
September 23rd, 2024 at 11:19:57 AM permalink
THIS IS SCARY: WE JUST SAW A RECORD BREAKING FOOD LINE - PEOPLE WAITING 3HOURS FOR FOOD - Indio, CA
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 23rd, 2024 at 12:42:39 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

About a month ago, I was at a bar eating lunch when I started talking to a man a stool away. He had the bearing of an ex-cop or soldier and it turned out he was retired from the NYPD, and vaguely knew a few friends I mentioned. He'd lived on Long Island and moved to Arizona after getting divorced. When I asked him what he did now, his answer floored me.
He replied- I feed the hungry. He makes up bags of food and hygiene items and gives them to people who need them.
There was no writing a check, no middleman, just direct action. I gave him a donation and was going to give a bigger one when I thought, why not try this myself?
I spent $500 on Amazon on food, hygiene items, and socks and made thirty drawstring bags. A couple of people do something similar on YouTube, so I spent about a hundred hours studying them. My first venture was a rainy Sunday night, and I got an unbelievable feeling when I handed out the bags.
My first night I saw two elderly women pushing overstuffed shopping carts. They got very defensive when I approached them so I just put two bags on the ground and left. I met one of them Friday night, and we talked briefly. The other woman is her mother, and they have only been homeless for six months.
Doing this fits many of my interests. I started with a budget of $500 and then researched how to get the best bang for the buck.
Scanning multiple auctions, I was able to come up with a few dozen blankets, 12 FEMA emergency sleeping bags, and 1,000 pieces of surplus hotel courtesy kits- soap, shampoo, body lotion, razor., etc.

It takes a couple of hours on one night to assemble the bags, which cost between eight and eleven dollars, depending on their content. Currently, each bag holds two or three days' worth of food and hygiene. I also make up plastic bags with an apple, a banana, a granola bar, and a Little Debbie snack for when I run out of the bigger bags.

My original thought was to seed $10,000 and occasionally add more as it came in, but then it occurred to me that putting $20,000 into
a dedicated fund would give me a few hundred a month to pursue my hobby while possibly growing the investment.

Tucson has strange laws about feeding the homeless. I'm supposed to take two three-hour courses and pay $250 for a permit to feed the homeless, but they give you months to complete the process.
link to original post

That must feel SO much better than cutting a check!
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
September 23rd, 2024 at 1:37:07 PM permalink
When I was between jobs years ago I volunteered at the Food Bank in Fort Worth three days a week. No direct contact with those needing food but it was fun interacting with all the agencies that would come in weekly to pick up food for their shelters.

May do more of that once I retire
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 23rd, 2024 at 2:46:06 PM permalink
Ashly used to volunteer at one of the local food pantries.
One of the differentiators between the place she volunteered and the rest of the sites in the county was that in addition to a big load of groceries for the family, every individual that showed up early got a prepared meal, or at least some fruit and a cookie to eat "now". This took extra volunteers to prepare and serve.

The behind the scenes commodity exchanges between food banks is fascinating, if you get a chance to see it. Abundant donations in one area are often highly sought after in another, and there is some swapping of truckloads going on.
May the cards fall in your favor.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 654
September 23rd, 2024 at 6:19:03 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

THIS IS SCARY: WE JUST SAW A RECORD BREAKING FOOD LINE - PEOPLE WAITING 3HOURS FOR FOOD - Indio, CA

link to original post

And a small% of the people picking up the free food walks back to their $60k luxury car/suv
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1507
September 23rd, 2024 at 9:45:28 PM permalink
When I lived in Baltimore, I sometimes spent the day playing chess in Washington DC's Dupont Circle. Some organization would sometimes show up with a huge kettle of soup and give it away to anyone who asked. There were a lot of homeless people in that area, so there was no shortage of takers. I accepted it once and it was very hearty and good. I've always wanted to return the favor by directly feeding anybody in such a manner, no questions asked. For now, I support the Three Square food bank, but it doesn't feel the same just writing a check.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
billryan
billryan
September 23rd, 2024 at 10:50:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

When I lived in Baltimore, I sometimes spent the day playing chess in Washington DC's Dupont Circle. Some organization would sometimes show up with a huge kettle of soup and give it away to anyone who asked. There were a lot of homeless people in that area, so there was no shortage of takers. I accepted it once and it was very hearty and good. I've always wanted to return the favor by directly feeding anybody in such a manner, no questions asked. For now, I support the Three Square food bank, but it doesn't feel the same just writing a check.
link to original post

Life hack- eating cereal with a fork allows several people to have breakfast from a single bowl of milk.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 442
September 24th, 2024 at 12:16:27 AM permalink

link to original post

This from a guy who is terrified of Cook Unity switching him to full price on his mail order food. Yet he throws around $10,000 and $20,000 like it's nothing. Which is it, are you a spendthrift or a modern John D Rockefeller. You don't make sense.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 239
September 24th, 2024 at 4:15:17 AM permalink

When I lived in Baltimore, I sometimes spent the day playing chess in Washington DC's Dupont Circle.

you must love chess and I'd be willing to bet you're very, very good at it
it's a nasty drive from Baltimore to downtown DC and then back
I remember the chess games at Dupont Circle - I'm from DC - the games there are legendary - and I think there were many very, very good players there

and to billryan:

good for you - you have a good heart - 2 thumbs up

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
ChicagoSkinny
ChicagoSkinny
  • Threads: 4
September 24th, 2024 at 4:42:34 AM permalink

link to original post

Wizard can I ask if Three Square accepts donations of food items in addition to direct monetary donations? I was raised in a couponing family and have a good nose for grocery deals.
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2024 at 7:17:49 AM permalink
I write many checks for charities, but the feeling of handing a hungry person food is a rush I've rarely let before.
I came upon a woman on her knees begging for food outside a pizza place. I watched for a few minutes while everyone passed her, completely ignoring her. When I handed her a couple of days' worth of food, the look on her face made it all worthwhile.
Be the reason someone still believes in the kindness of strangers. I promise you it will help you through your shittest day.
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2024 at 7:29:21 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

This from a guy who is terrified of Cook Unity switching him to full price on his mail order food. Yet he throws around $10,000 and $20,000 like it's nothing. Which is it, are you a spendthrift or a modern John D Rockefeller. You don't make sense.
link to original post

The wise man speaks, when he has something to say. A fool speaks, because he must say something.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
September 24th, 2024 at 7:33:51 AM permalink

The wise man speaks, when he has something to say. A fool speaks, because he must say something.
link to original post

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
September 24th, 2024 at 8:04:54 AM permalink

link to original post

I think it's worthwhile to try to personally evaluate as best you can someone's situation. I actually hate when people give hand-outs randomly without even trying to do that.
Sanitized for Your Protection
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2024 at 8:20:52 AM permalink
I don't care why someone is hungry or needy—only that they are. It isn't my business, nor are my reasons for giving any of theirs.

I had a city official tell me that feeding the homeless creates more homeless. I asked her if she genuinely believed that the sight of my feeding someone in the park was going to incentivize a person to become homeless.
100xOdds
100xOdds
September 24th, 2024 at 8:28:45 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

link to original post

my new pick 4 numbers.
Thx!
oh wait...
100xOdds
100xOdds
September 24th, 2024 at 8:30:08 AM permalink

I don't care why someone is hungry or needy—only that they are. It isn't my business, nor are my reasons for giving any of theirs.

I had a city official tell me that feeding the homeless creates more homeless. I asked her if she genuinely believed that the sight of my feeding someone in the park was going to incentivize a person to become homeless.
link to original post

I think she meant it'll bring more homeless people into the area
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 165
September 24th, 2024 at 8:38:27 AM permalink

I write many checks for charities, but the feeling of handing a hungry person food is a rush I've rarely let before.
I came upon a woman on her knees begging for food outside a pizza place. I watched for a few minutes while everyone passed her, completely ignoring her. When I handed her a couple of days' worth of food, the look on her face made it all worthwhile.
Be the reason someone still believes in the kindness of strangers. I promise you it will help you through your shittest day.
link to original post

After an RV trip one year my wife and I had a ton of extra unused packaged/canned food, spices, fresh fruit/ vegetables, nuts, raisins, candy, and drinks. We had some quality stuff including a cheap cooler with ice and an old backpack. We were at a busy city Walmart cleaning out the RV and preparing to fly back to Vegas. Obviously, we couldn't take the stuff with us.

There were a fair number of people who seemed to be living on the streets and in need that ventured by as we were preparing to leave. I tried like hell to give the stuff away, I even explained why we were giving the stuff away. Not one person(I estimate about 13 different people) was interested in the food, it was as if they treated it like the plague. A majority of them asked if we could spare some money or cigarettes.

I finally just put the food in the garbage can. I watched as a younger guy approached the stuff on a bike, I had a good feeling thinking, finally someome in need was going to enjoy the food. NOPE! He just tipped over the cooler and kicked stuff around and then road off.

This was not the first time I tried to give food away without success after an RV trip, I guess I'll keep trying, or not.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2024 at 9:13:03 AM permalink

link to original post

I look at it differently but am willing to be convinced I am wrong. I don't give people anything if I'm convinced, they are going to continue the same behavior willingly that I don't approve of in the first place.
And yes, I am willing to judge whether I want to in anyway encourage that behavior, and whether it is being reinforced by what I do. Everyone would eventually be hungry if they went to the park and did nothing else. I'm trying to figure out, who really can't get out of living at the park vs people who can't figure out how to leave and live somewhat like everyone else vs. who doesn't need to live in the park.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 54
September 24th, 2024 at 9:37:23 AM permalink
I live 4-6 months per year in Cambodia and I help feed many people and it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 64
September 24th, 2024 at 10:08:46 AM permalink
Kudos to BillRyan and all who donate.

Fascinating!
I watched the food queue vid, and yes: I tried to reconcile the big flashy cars with the foodbank situation. ( I did get my head around it eventually)

This is nothing like the UK foodbank where I work part time. I work within a fundraising side business which pays for the food. I do get to serve clients when they collect. I even see some of their living conditions

At my venue, seriously poor people arrive on foot, or maybe get brought there by their social worker ( all clients have to have some sort of referral ). They are given a sizeable bundle of groceries, usually more than they can carry. These poor souls are usually borderline homeless and will probably never own a car. The hows or whys of their situation is never our concern, we just help them.

The folks in the YT vid, in their cars are a different kind of poor. Still poor and struggling. I know someone like that. When he's working, he earns several times more than the highest salary I ever dreamt of, but in a recent 5 month spell of unemployment, he racked up the kind of debt that one loses a home and everything to. With current salary of > $100k he's failing to meet the min payment on his credit card debts. It seems crazy that any day now, his banks could say 'no more transactions' and he would literally be unable to buy a bag of rice to feed his family, let alone pay his mortgage or buy gas to pay for his driving to work.

I try not to judge. When the rich middle class guy with the newish Tesla or whatever hits a spiralling wall of debt, it must be just as crushing to him and his family to not have any liquidity.

One other big difference between 'my' poor clients and the poor folks in the cars in the vid, is that 'your' guys probably have a bigger ammunition budget than my grocery budget. When folk get desperate and hungry, they will do desperate things. They will vote for strange people. They will believe what they want to believe and will scapegoat who they think caused their situation.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2024 at 10:09:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Billy’s altruism and concomitant desire to find deals are not mutually exclusive. The fact that you cannot get this simple point says nothing about Billy and A LOT about you.

I do agree with Rex’s point though. Remind me why they are sitting in the park waiting for you at noon rather than at the Burger King with the help wanted sign out front?

I know there are many reasons some find homelessness, but if taking some PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY can get out of it. (Ask DarkOz)

None of my post diminishes the good that Billy is doing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 24th, 2024 at 10:27:29 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

It's the truth, you don't make sense. You're constantly wringing your hands dreading the time Cook Unity is going to switch you over to full price and yet you say you give thousands of dollars to feed the homeless. These two concepts are the polar opposite of each other.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 24th, 2024 at 10:34:12 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

Billy’s altruism and concomitant desire to find deals are not mutually exclusive. The fact that you cannot get this simple point says nothing about Billy and A LOT about you.
link to original post

LOL! Mr expert on everything has spoken. I'm sorry but they are pretty much the opposite of each other. From my long experience nobody who sweats the small stuff also throws money around with the other hand. The fact that YOU don't understand this is not surprising.
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2024 at 10:44:20 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I do agree with Rex’s point though. Remind me why they are sitting in the park waiting for you at noon rather than at the Burger King with the help wanted sign out front?

I know there are many reasons some find homelessness, but if taking some PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY can get out of it. (Ask DarkOz)

None of my post diminishes the good that Billy is doing.
link to original post

One of the reasons why a lot of homeless aren't working or living in a motel is simple- they lack proper id. Many are here illegally, and others have had their wallets stolen and lack the ability to get new id. You can't get a job without an id, and fast food places usually won't hire people with felonies. One guy I met got out of jail after three or four years. His only ID is his Arizona probation card. They let him out of jail with seven dollars and the clothes on his back. With a good break or two, he might become a good citizen. A bad break, and he goes back to jail and most likely is lost for life.
I'm just tired of seeing despair outside my car window and doing nothing.
When was the last time you put a smile on a homeless person? It's a powerful drug.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 54
Thanked by
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2024 at 10:46:48 AM permalink
You’re totally wrong on this evenbob, I am as cheap as can be and constantly looking for ways to lower expenses, switching phone companies electric suppliers etc…
But then every year I spend around 5k giving to poor people.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 239
September 24th, 2024 at 11:49:28 AM permalink
seeing hungry homeless people tears at your heart
but seeing homeless children - it's even worse - unbearable

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
September 24th, 2024 at 12:19:23 PM permalink
It’s rare that someone without drug and or mental health issues become totally homeless without a place to go, even if thats a temporary shelter or a friend's couch while they get on their feet.

Certainly it can happen to anyone due to some tragic circumstances. However, most people have the ability to figure something out and use whatever resources they available.

People with drug and mental health issues oftentimes have established and alienated friends and family.

I think it would its far better for people to donate to mental heath and rehabilitation services.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2024 at 12:23:03 PM permalink
I haven't encountered any young kids yet. The homeless youth tend to hang out on the north side, and the cops are notorious for strict enforcement. One guy got arrested for littering when the cops claimed the people he gave food to left a mess, and several YouTubers got tickets for soliciting, even though the video evidence showed the opposite. There are several services and groups for homeless youth, but not many for homeless seniors. In my limited practice, these types often go days without food
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
September 24th, 2024 at 2:05:48 PM permalink

I haven't encountered any young kids yet. The homeless youth tend to hang out on the north side, and the cops are notorious for strict enforcement. One guy got arrested for littering when the cops claimed the people he gave food to left a mess, and several YouTubers got tickets for soliciting, even though the video evidence showed the opposite. There are several services and groups for homeless youth, but not many for homeless seniors. In my limited practice, these types often go days without food
link to original post

I've handed out 50k in total among friends and employees. My dad has also to ex employees.

I don't have time to do volunteer work. I gave up PlayStation 11 yrs ago and had to give up all forms of exercise 9 years ago. I was a triathlete mountain biker and marathoner. When I was in college, I gave 500 hours of free tutoring outside of work while I was the highest paid college tutor.

Funny story, an employee asked for $50 to help pay rent. Which I gave her. Next day, she didn't show up to work. She seemed jittery. So I searched criminal county record. She was booked same night for drug possession.

Before, I left for college, we had maybe one drug addict. When I came back from college, almost every employee was taking drugs or other criminal activity. They would share their stories. On 5 occasions, the police would search all 50 employees as they entered the parking lot. Which I believe is illegal.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Sep 24, 2024
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 24th, 2024 at 2:16:54 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

You’re totally wrong on this evenbob, I am as cheap as can be and constantly looking for ways to lower expenses, switching phone companies electric suppliers etc…
But then every year I spend around 5k giving to poor people.
link to original post

So the point you're making is cheap people are also extravagant charity givers. And Forrest Gump was a movie about a real person and it proves that if you have an IQ of 75 you can become a multimillionaire. Trust but verify is one of my favorite quotes but on the internet verification is almost impossible. And because I don't have an IQ of 75 blind trust is impossible also.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
September 24th, 2024 at 2:36:28 PM permalink

]

FYI I believe there was a law here in Vegas saying you couldn't feed the homeless in a park.
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2024 at 3:25:48 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

]

FYI I believe there was a law here in Vegas saying you couldn't feed the homeless in a park.
link to original post

The University of Arizona is located in downtown Tucson. It's legal to throw a party in a park and invite students for free food. If I also offer free food to the homeless, we can all get tickets.
It's also illegal to give food to someone on state properties, including the islands near every intersection.
I stay out of the parks and usually don't give stuff at intersections unless the person looks terrible. There are plenty of places to look, and part of the fun is hunting down a person in bad shape and surprising them. Most of them are apprehensive when I approach them and expect me to tell them to move on.
I pulled into a parking lot when I saw a woman pushing a shopping cart. Before I finished getting some stuff for her, two young Hispanics approached me, wanting to buy a bottle of water. I hooked them up, and another girl approached me. It's easy to get overwhelmed; one camp could deplete my bags for a week. A dry river bed between a state park and federal land is nicknamed the 100-acre wood, which has over seven hundred residents and a camp in midtown with close to a hundred. There is a YouTuber who flies drones over it, dropping food on people.
Three people were doing this last month; now, there are five of us. Winter is coming, but it is fairly mild.
Three hundred homeless died in in Tucson 2023; most deaths are in the brutal summer.
OnceDear
OnceDear
September 25th, 2024 at 2:44:00 AM permalink

link to original post

This is a point worthy of philosophical debate. Is helping or feeding the poor = enabling them to carry on with the same lifestyle and is that in turn a bad thing?

So few of us want to see streets littered with homeless and the mess that they make. We don't want to see them and our officials and law enforcement don't want them to be there. So we have by-laws and some absurd police actions discouraging us from giving. I acknowledge that some of these poor folk would not adhere to the law or middle class social norms, their motives for being poor are many and who are we to judge?

My take is that until the authorities knuckle down to create real solutions, then ordinary good samaritans should fill the void. Soup kitchens, foodbanks and random acts of kindness work. I've seen it work. Bill's seen it work.

As some would say "There but for the grace of god, go I"

No. I don't believe in a god, but hey oh.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
September 25th, 2024 at 2:47:35 AM permalink

... the cops are notorious for strict enforcement. One guy got arrested for littering when the cops claimed the people he gave food to left a mess, and several YouTubers got tickets for soliciting, even though the video evidence showed the opposite.
link to original post

Those cops are lazy. They should be called to account and if needs be seen in court to justify themselves.
OnceDear
OnceDear
September 25th, 2024 at 2:55:24 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

seeing hungry homeless people tears at your heart
but seeing homeless children - it's even worse - unbearablelink to original post

It's when seeing them (same with adults) is perceived as the problem and not seeing them is seen as the solution. To many of the privileged class, it's better to shoo them away than to help them.

Hunger is hunger, death is death. Bill can't save the all, but his generosity probably saved lives. He'll never know which life was saved, but kudo for trying.
billryan
billryan
September 25th, 2024 at 7:28:51 AM permalink
I doubt I've saved anyone's life. What I have done is to help thirty or so of my neighbors to not go to bed hungry, giving them one less thing to worry about for a few days. In the land of plenty, no one should go to sleep hungry. I can't house them, but I can feed them. I'm by no means rich, but I have more than I need
As kids, we learn that the strong should protect the weak and the rich should help the poor. But then we reach adulthood, and it becomes—someday when I have everything I need, I will do something nice. The funny thing is that someday is always tomorrow or next week, just not today.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
September 25th, 2024 at 7:43:47 AM permalink

I doubt I've saved anyone's life. What I have done is to help thirty or so of my neighbors to not go to bed hungry, giving them one less thing to worry about for a few days. In the land of plenty, no one should go to sleep hungry. I can't house them, but I can feed them. I'm by no means rich, but I have more than I need
As kids, we learn that the strong should protect the weak and the rich should help the poor. But then we reach adulthood, and it becomes—someday when I have everything I need, I will do something nice. The funny thing is that someday is always tomorrow or next week, just not today.
link to original post

Bill, I admire what you re doing and wish I would do more for people in need.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
September 25th, 2024 at 7:52:57 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

With respect, what is stopping you? I challenge you to put a smile on one homeless person's face.
If not us, then who? If not today, then when?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
September 25th, 2024 at 8:06:26 AM permalink

Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

With respect, what is stopping you? I challenge you to put a smile on one homeless person's face.
If not us, then who? If not today, then when?
link to original post

I can't justify my inaction, but having lived in Cape Coral Florida for close to three years now and I don't ever recall seeing a homeless person. I'm sure there are some if not many, but I haven't noticed them.

The truth is that I am very selfish and do very little to help others. The extent of my "charity" is buying Girl Scout cookies and candy bars from sports teams that I know are overpriced and I really don't want them. I definitely need to do more.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
September 25th, 2024 at 8:07:03 AM permalink
After years of homeless living under overpasses, a city made a freezone on the edge of the city where people can set up tents. I think it may be hidden so people won't notice them. I believe California has a freezone also. It would probably be dangerous to go there. Maybe the food banks and kitchens feed them to some extent? I went to one food bank. It's a warehouse.

I remember in the late 80's seeing homeless wandering through university campus. By 2000, they were sleeping on the university church steps. The church moved the doors past the steps eliminating the area.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
billryan
billryan
September 25th, 2024 at 8:27:06 AM permalink
When I was a teenager, Mineola had one homeless person—Popeye Annie, who was a bit of a celebrity. Her house was taken by the public domain to expand the local hospital, and she fought it to the bitter end. She bought a backpacking tent and a little red wagon and would sleep wherever possible. She smoked a pipe—one of the few women I've ever seen do so. She'd disappear in the fall and reappear in the spring, until she didn't.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 25th, 2024 at 8:40:33 AM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

After years of homeless living under overpasses, a city made a freezone on the edge of the city where people can set up tents. I think it may be hidden so people won't notice them. I believe California has a freezone also. It would probably be dangerous to go there. Maybe the food banks and kitchens feed them to some extent? I went to one food bank. It's a warehouse.

I remember in the late 80's seeing homeless wandering through university campus. By 2000, they were sleeping on the university church steps. The church moved the doors past the steps eliminating the area.
link to original post

Food banks tend to be warehouses that supply food pantries.
Food pantries tend to be community level, more "retail" oriented, getting the food to individuals and families.

I know in this region, there is also "Ruby's Pantry", which isn't free. They gather up batches of overrun, close date, and similar surplus food, and distribute it for $25 a carload. (Mentioning because someone may be looking for affordable food and stumble upon this.)

If you go, you should have some room in the fridge and freezer. I think I've usually seen people with stacks of frozen pizzas, cases of yogurt and cottage cheese, ice creams... Flavors that were produced, but didn't sell as well as hoped. Good stuff, just not the first preference.
May the cards fall in your favor.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
OnceDear
September 25th, 2024 at 11:29:31 AM permalink
Well SHAZAMM. Several months ago, I posted that I volunteer at a local food bank. I have worked there as a volunteer for over 20 yrs. The bank has grown from a small one truck operation to the largest in the region. We now have 2 refrigerated trucks, a box truck, and a van plus my own E350 van. I personally have provided over $100K of value to their operation including time, gas, insurance, expansion of giving from Pepsi, Target, WM, etc.

It has been a personal joy and quite fulfilling to be able to help and give.

Pre-emptive Word to the mods: EB will surely produce a vitriolic, negative, insulting post as he has many times in the past. DO NOT TURN A BLIND EYE.

tuttigym
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 25th, 2024 at 12:28:40 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Well SHAZAMM. Several months ago, I posted that I volunteer at a local food bank. I have worked there as a volunteer for over 20 yrs. The bank has grown from a small one truck operation to the largest in the region. We now have 2 refrigerated trucks, a box truck, and a van plus my own E350 van. I personally have provided over $100K of value to their operation including time, gas, insurance, expansion of giving from Pepsi, Target, WM, etc.

Pre-emptive Word to the mods: EB will surely produce a vitriolic, negative, insulting post as he has many times in the past. DO NOT TURN A BLIND EYE.

tuttigym
link to original post

So GOOD of you! Why would you actually care what EB thinks of your generosity? You should turn a blind eye if he criticizes your altruism.
billryan
billryan
September 25th, 2024 at 12:48:20 PM permalink
When some people agree with you, you might want to rethink whatever.
tuttigym
tuttigym
September 25th, 2024 at 1:59:58 PM permalink

Quote: tuttigym

tuttigym
link to original post

So GOOD of you! Why would you actually care what EB thinks of your generosity? You should turn a blind eye if he criticizes your altruism.
link to original post

1. The message was to the mods who apparently allow some egregious posts that are beyond questionable. IMHO
2. Turning a blind eye to EB allows him to continue his blatant vitriol. I believe in proper retaliation and accountability. Sitting back and taking it is not in my DNA.

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
September 25th, 2024 at 2:10:55 PM permalink
Maybe this will sound mean, but have to ask anyway. What’s the ratio of obese people showing up at food banks to get food?

Nah, I don’t think it needs to look like the gruel line at a gulag, but I’m just curious about something relevant to the meritocracy index.
tuttigym
tuttigym
September 25th, 2024 at 2:27:21 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Maybe this will sound mean, but have to ask anyway. What’s the ratio of obese people showing up at food banks to get food?

Nah, I don’t think it needs to look like the gruel line at a gulag, but I’m just curious about something relevant to the meritocracy index.
link to original post

Define "obese."

Ratio of what to what?

We don't have a scale or tape measure or a BMI table.

tuttigym
  • Jump to: