rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
January 5th, 2011 at 5:11:57 PM permalink
From what I just heard, you can buy a gold bar worth up to 250,000 out of a vending machine.

Gold prices are updated every 10 minutes.

Sorry no link -- just local news.

(edit -- I wonder if they said $25,000?)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
January 5th, 2011 at 5:16:28 PM permalink
I've heard of those - I wonder how much of a profit they take. It's got to be significant or they refill it everyday since the value changes. Of course recently they've probably been making a killing since gold is skyrocketing.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 5th, 2011 at 5:18:13 PM permalink
It makes no sense to buy gold in Nevada, due to the sales tax. My next trip to a sales-tax-free state I might buy a few ounces.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
January 5th, 2011 at 5:18:33 PM permalink
Oh, I meant, the machine itself automatically updates gold prices every 10 minutes.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 5th, 2011 at 5:28:27 PM permalink
Here is a link to the story on a LV news stations website. The gold bars are available up to 250 grams (not $250k). Gold coins are also for sale.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 5th, 2011 at 5:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Here is a link to the story on a LV news stations website. The gold bars are available up to 250 grams (not $250k). Gold coins are also for sale.

A 9oz bar? How big is that, about the size of a big domino?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 5th, 2011 at 5:35:23 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I've heard of those - I wonder how much of a profit they take. It's got to be significant or they refill it everyday since the value changes. Of course recently they've probably been making a killing since gold is skyrocketing.

News reports on installations in Florida indicate 5% markup + some costs associated with packaging.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 5th, 2011 at 5:51:33 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It makes no sense to buy gold in Nevada, due to the sales tax. My next trip to a sales-tax-free state I might buy a few ounces.

Don't buy the gold bars, buy gold coins. Consider the Canadian Maple Leaf at .999 fine even better than our American Eagle at .997. More important though is the Maple Leaf has a lower intrinsic markup, also lower than Kugerands I think.

Why coins? Because if you buy raw gold you might need to have it assayed at resale.

Other way to buy is find a broker, buy futures, and simply take delivery at settlement instead of selling the future. Problem is you might need to buy quite a bit.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 5th, 2011 at 6:04:01 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Ayecarumba

A 9oz bar? How big is that, about the size of a big domino?

One ounce of gold is about the size of a marble, so yeah. One big domino, maybe two regular dominoes stacked up. I like the idea of someone feeding one hundred and twenty $100 bills into a vending machine...

I also do not understand the commodity trading mentality that the market seems to have. I buy (and very occasionally sell) electricity and natural gas for a living, and this same thing happens in those markets. Gold is trading at near record highs. It's in the news a lot, and there's a buzz about it. I get that it's talked about alot. But if it's talked about because it's never cost more - why would this be a good time to buy gold?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 5th, 2011 at 6:11:00 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Other way to buy is find a broker, buy futures, and simply take delivery at settlement instead of selling the future. Problem is you might need to buy quite a bit.

100 ounces is the quantity in one futures contract on the COMEX. Micro contracts are also available in 10 ounce increments. Usually, the micros carry a small premium versus the full contracts. The bid-ask spread on the micros is also slightly larger than on the full contracts.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 5th, 2011 at 6:12:45 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

But if it's talked about because it's never cost more - why would this be a good time to buy gold?

I remember people saying this very thing when gold was $400 an ounce. They'll be saying it when its $2400.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 5th, 2011 at 6:13:58 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I also do not understand the commodity trading mentality that the market seems to have. I buy (and very occasionally sell) electricity and natural gas for a living, and this same thing happens in those markets. Gold is trading at near record highs. It's in the news a lot, and there's a buzz about it. I get that it's talked about alot. But if it's talked about because it's never cost more - why would this be a good time to buy gold?

I asked myself the same question when it was $800/oz and passed. Doh!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 5th, 2011 at 7:12:31 PM permalink
Link to company that makes vending machines.

This company plans to install hundreds of such machines around the world (although most will not be in the USA). I suppose if you sense the apocalypse you could convert your VISA credit line entirely into 1 gram bars and presumably have a medium of trade.

I suspect that the machines will primarily be used as a way for people to buy cute little gifts like this 1 ounce Koala bear silver coin for about $40.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 5th, 2011 at 7:26:41 PM permalink
The other day Jim Kramer was recommending that some percentage of one's portfolio should be in directly in gold or gold companies. I don't recall the percentage, but I think 10%. As I recall he also said something to the effect that gold could reach $2,000 an ounce soon. Not that I'm a huge Kramer follower, but I still stop and listen when I'm flipping through the channels and see his face.

This time last year I was trying to sell the four 1 oz. coins I do have, but the potential buyer and I couldn't agree on a price. I thought they sold for a little over the spot price of gold, and he disagreed, so we never made a sale. Good thing for me, as the price kept climbing.

My opinion is there is always some fad investment, and now it is gold. Although I hate buying high, I also hate to miss out on the ride.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: