darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 10:23:18 AM permalink
Recently a local casino began ID verification at the entrance. Required for everyone of every age.

No signs had been posted in advance. This casino has lots of regulars. People who Normally walk right in were turned away for lack.of verification.

I actually witnessed a woman with a walker of about seventy crying as she was turned away yelling she had traveled over an hour on the bus to get there and was going to lose her freeplay. No sympathy, She had to go home.

Anyway they finally relented and changed the policy back to what it was. Took about two weeks.

One of the workers told me a supervisor saw a different senior citizen turned away due to lack of ID. She had come with a van of about ten other fellow seniors from their group and they couldn't leave her to wait six hours for the planned trip so the entire group of ten gamblers turned around and left. Ten gamblers out the door at a clip!

Lol, that apparently was enough to see the error of their ways.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28862
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 10:45:25 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Recently a local casino began ID verification at the entrance. Required for everyone of every age.

No signs had been posted in advance. This casino has lots of regulars. People who Normally walk right in were turned away for lack.of verification.

I actually witnessed a woman with a walker of about seventy crying as she was turned away yelling she had traveled over an hour on the bus to get there and was going to lose her freeplay. No sympathy, She had to go home.

Anyway they finally relented and changed the policy back to what it was. Took about two weeks.

One of the workers told me a supervisor saw a different senior citizen turned away due to lack of ID. She had come with a van of about ten other fellow seniors from their group and they couldn't leave her to wait six hours for the planned trip so the entire group of ten gamblers turned around and left. Ten gamblers out the door at a clip!

Lol, that apparently was enough to see the error of their ways.
link to original post



What was the point of the required verification, I don't get it. Why would they care as long as you're over 21.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ddloml
ddloml
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 85
Joined: Dec 5, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 10:46:29 AM permalink
I agree that ID checking is a poor idea. Yet, in today’s society, who doesn’t have an ID with them? If those seniors would have won a hand pay jackpot, what hassles would they have experienced without their ID?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5633
Joined: May 23, 2016
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 10:54:21 AM permalink
It sounds stupid for everyone involved.... why would you go to a casino of all places without a photo ID? Even if you're obviously old enough, what if you hit a jackpot or need to pay for something with a credit card? What if security thinks you look like some card counter or someone they banned and you can't prove it because you don't have ID? Why is an ID not already in your wallet or purse anyway, which you probably already have with you because your money and player's card are most likely in there, too?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5608
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 11:02:07 AM permalink
Quote: ddloml

I agree that ID checking is a poor idea. Yet, in today’s society, who doesn’t have an ID with them? If those seniors would have won a hand pay jackpot, what hassles would they have experienced without their ID?
link to original post



The times that I've won W2-G required prizes without adequate ID, I've been given 30 or 90 days to return with my claim receipt and adequate ID.

It was a bigger hassle getting the required forms of ID than claiming the prize. It all took about 5 minutes at the cage.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14070
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 11:03:09 AM permalink
Seems like a hassle for no good reason. Yes, everyone has or should have an ID. But that will cause a huge back-up that good customers will not put up with.

What are they going to catch? Self excluded people? People in the black book?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 11:07:53 AM permalink
I'm not certain but this occurred a few weeks after a fight broke out in the casino. I think some of the participants were able to leave and were not identified so my theory is they figured with ID at the door they could identify anyone in a similar situation.

But it could also have been an anti-AP exclusion tactic.

BTW this isn't unusual anymore on the East coast. I know of at least four different casinos in two different states that are doing this.

This particular casino they reversed course. The others to my knowledge are still doing it.

EDIT: It could also just be follow the leader with one casino doing it the others figured why not?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2969
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
Thanked by
Mission146Dieter
November 7th, 2023 at 11:15:52 AM permalink
--shrug--

If you've been going to casinos since the days when the actual Rat Pack was performing at the Copa Room, and playing actual one-arm bandits at a nickel a pull the whole time, you probably think of casinos differently than players posting at a gambling website in 2023 do.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 11:15:54 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

It sounds stupid for everyone involved.... why would you go to a casino of all places without a photo ID? Even if you're obviously old enough, what if you hit a jackpot or need to pay for something with a credit card? What if security thinks you look like some card counter or someone they banned and you can't prove it because you don't have ID? Why is an ID not already in your wallet or purse anyway, which you probably already have with you because your money and player's card are most likely in there, too?
link to original post



Sometimes you misplace your ID. Why lose your freeplay while you wait for a replacement?

And as someone above stated winning a jackpot without ID isn't an issue. You can just return later with ID and claim it. They take down your info until you return. It's not a big deal unless you give bogus info of course
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11083
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146Mukke
November 7th, 2023 at 11:36:48 AM permalink
The only error the casino made was not giving notice. In the summer, put up these signs….. ‘Beginning November ID will be required of all guests to enter. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause’.

If a casino requires ID to enter, then either have ID or take your business elsewhere.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28862
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 11:45:18 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

--shrug--

If you've been going to casinos since the days when the actual Rat Pack was performing at the Copa Room, and playing actual one-arm bandits at a nickel a pull the whole time, you probably think of casinos differently than players posting at a gambling website in 2023 do.
link to original post



The first time I went to Vegas I think was 1976. I went to see Sinatra and it was terribly disappointing. The idiots in the audience next to me we're singing along with him because they knew the words to every song and they were so loud they actually drowned him out. Wasn't just one person, it was a bunch of people. That's the last time I ever went to see anybody in Las Vegas. I take that back I did see Penn and Teller and that was just as disappointing for different reasons.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5608
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
SOOPOOMission146Mukke
November 7th, 2023 at 12:06:53 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The only error the casino made was not giving notice. In the summer, put up these signs….. ‘Beginning November ID will be required of all guests to enter. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause’.

If a casino requires ID to enter, then either have ID or take your business elsewhere.
link to original post



It would be courteous to make sure that the bus trip organizers were aware of the policy change in advance.
Advising people that "the casino requires ID now, do you have it with you?" as they board instead of as they disembark would be a thoughtful gesture.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Deucekies
Deucekies
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1443
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 12:46:47 PM permalink
WA state introduced a statewide Self-Exclusion program this year. Every cardroom has to scan the ID of everyone who enters to make sure they're not on that list. I don't know if tribals have to do this or not.
Casinos are not your friends, they want your money. But so does Disneyland. And there is no chance in hell that you will go to Disneyland and come back with more money than you went with. - AxelWolf and Mickeycrimm
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7481
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 1:20:11 PM permalink
Satisfy a curious Brit: What form does your photo ID card take? Does everyone have Photo ID?
Is it issued by the state or is it Federal? Is it tied to something else, such as Social Security or a gun carry permit or drivers license?

The reason I ask is that in England, the generally held acceptable forms of photo ID are Driving Licence or Passport. That's mostly it. If you don't drive or don't travel abroad, you are screwed.

This year, our government introduced a requirement for Photo ID to vote in elections*. That caused uproar because oh so many eligible voters got turned away for either not knowing ID was required or for simply not owning a passport or a driving license. It disenfranchised the poorer members of society who might tend to vote for the party not currently in power and was deemed a way of rigging the election.

In fact my only photo ID is my passport, which stays home in the safe. My driving licence is an older paper type with no photo.

* Just after the badly handled election fiasco, The gov't introduced a Voter eligibility photo ID card.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11083
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146OnceDear
November 7th, 2023 at 1:42:14 PM permalink
It’s state by state, but there are minimum federal standards to make it a ‘real ID’. Most people use a driver’s license. If you don’t drive your state (I’m sure NY does) will issue you an ID in lieu of a Driver’s License.
If you have a passport that of course works as well.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146OnceDear
November 7th, 2023 at 1:50:58 PM permalink
SooPoo is correct.

I don't drive but have a "non-drivers ID" It looks similar to the state drivers ID but is a whole lot cheaper and only needs to be renewed every 8 years.

It is issued by the same people (DMV Division of Motor Vehicles) and carries all the same recognition as a drivers license except no driving privileges
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2422
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146OnceDear
November 7th, 2023 at 2:00:13 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Satisfy a curious Brit: What form does your photo ID card take? Does everyone have Photo ID?
Is it issued by the state or is it Federal? Is it tied to something else, such as Social Security or a gun carry permit or drivers license?

The reason I ask is that in England, the generally held acceptable forms of photo ID are Driving Licence or Passport. That's mostly it. If you don't drive or don't travel abroad, you are screwed.

Most people in the US will use a Driver's License for their photo ID. These are issued by the state in which they reside. For non-drivers, I know in that in Florida (and I assume most, if not all other states) you can get an ID through the same process as getting a Driver's License, with the exception of demonstrating one's driving proficiency, of course. The ID looks similar to a Driver's License.

In the past, the look of Driver's Licenses would vary greatly. I remember there was a time where some states issued paper licenses whereas others had moved to plastic. These days, especially with the push toward "Real ID," they have started to all look very similar. I think by now they are all plastic, with the same dimensions as a bank/credit card.

Occasionally, I will see people use a military ID card or a passport, both are issued by the federal government.


Quote:

This year, our government introduced a requirement for Photo ID to vote in elections*. That caused uproar because oh so many eligible voters got turned away for either not knowing ID was required or for simply not owning a passport or a driving license. It disenfranchised the poorer members of society who might tend to vote for the party not currently in power and was deemed a way of rigging the election.

In fact my only photo ID is my passport, which stays home in the safe. My driving licence is an older paper type with no photo.

* Just after the badly handled election fiasco, The gov't introduced a Voter eligibility photo ID card.
link to original post

Voter ID laws vary state-by-state. Some require a photo ID, some require ID, but not a photo ID, and some do not require any ID (except for the first time voting). If you are interested, this website describes the ID requirements for each state.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5633
Joined: May 23, 2016
Thanked by
Mission146OnceDear
November 7th, 2023 at 2:02:08 PM permalink
Almost every military veteran in the US can get a picture ID for free that acts as a legally recognized government ID. You can even apply for it online and they'll mail it to you. Most Native American tribes issue picture IDs as well that are federally recognized.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 4917
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 2:02:09 PM permalink
Haven't seen paper driver's licenses since the late 1970's. They've all been photo ID, even the non-DL ID's. Of course teens were all about getting fake ID's for their drinking age in some states and bouncers with their UV lights to check if it's real. If you're a senior citizen and crossing state lines on a bus you may have skipped bringing ID with you because you weren't driving and weren't planning on hitting a hand pay JP. Not sure a casino would take an out of state ID. it does seem like a data dragnet and my local racino has turned to such tactics and I'll avoid them for it.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5608
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 2:13:34 PM permalink
All the casinos I've been to accept out-of-state ID state cards (driver's license or non-driving ID).
Most accept passports (foreign & domestic) and US federal ID cards, too.

There might be problems trying to use a Canadian or Mexican driver's license in a US casino.
May the cards fall in your favor.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 7530
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 2:17:54 PM permalink
Circa Vegas requires ID from everyone, which is scanned, to verify 21+. No one under 21 allowed into the casino for any reason.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 11006
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 3:09:42 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Sometimes you misplace your ID. Why lose your freeplay while you wait for a replacement?
link to original post

You can file a police report for lost DL, then show that in the interim. May not work with a hard nosed casino, but you’ll have a better shot than a sob story without documentation.



Quote: MDawg

Circa Vegas requires ID from everyone, which is scanned, to verify 21+. No one under 21 allowed into the casino for any reason.
link to original post

Circa allows minors (or used to) in, of all places, their high end steak house. But only when escorted / accompanied by adults, etc.

Kinda weird since minors aren’t allowed anywhere else even as accompanied hotel guests.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22293
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 4:00:30 PM permalink
I have a regular DL, A real ID DL , passport card and a passport booklet.

Local Nevada 7-11's and slot parlors will not accept a Passport card or booklet.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22293
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 4:05:51 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Gialmere

--shrug--

If you've been going to casinos since the days when the actual Rat Pack was performing at the Copa Room, and playing actual one-arm bandits at a nickel a pull the whole time, you probably think of casinos differently than players posting at a gambling website in 2023 do.
link to original post



The first time I went to Vegas I think was 1976. I went to see Sinatra and it was terribly disappointing. The idiots in the audience next to me we're singing along with him because they knew the words to every song and they were so loud they actually drowned him out. Wasn't just one person, it was a bunch of people. That's the last time I ever went to see anybody in Las Vegas. I take that back I did see Penn and Teller and that was just as disappointing for different reasons.
link to original post

You seen Penn and Teller in LV in which year?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28862
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 4:32:48 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

LV in which year?
link to original post



Has to be at least 10 years ago. I found a lady's purse under my seat that somebody had left there and Penn and Teller after the show they stand in the lobby and greet people as we're leaving and I walked up to Penn and gave him the purse and it's shocking how tall he is when you're close to him. This was long before he lost weight he was gigantic.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2706
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 5:31:48 PM permalink
In continental Europe showing a passport and passing through a metal detector seems to be standard procedure to enter a casino.

A few months ago I was denied entry to the Monaco casino because I didn’t have my passport. Had my DL and a photo of my passport on my phone but no exceptions

On another note, there are sometimes dress codes there. In Monaco shorts were allowed during daytime but no ripped shorts or sandals. In Spain no shorts at any time. In Vegas I’ve seen people playing in swimsuits and bathrobes
It’s all about making that GTA
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22293
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Thanked by
Mission146
November 7th, 2023 at 11:56:04 PM permalink
Many Indian Reservation casinos require your ID before you can enter.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 7:33:16 AM permalink
It's an excellent way to build a mailing list and cuts down on multi-carding.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 7:41:08 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's an excellent way to build a mailing list and cuts down on multi-carding.
link to original post



No it doesn't.

I hit one of those ID at the entrance casinos for well over a year. They never noticed that the people whose freeplay was being taken never even entered the building.

You would think they would. But I routinely run circles around casinos. It's regular folks who give them too much credit for thinking.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5633
Joined: May 23, 2016
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 7:53:40 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

No it doesn't.

I hit one of those ID at the entrance casinos for well over a year. They never noticed that the people whose freeplay was being taken never even entered the building.

You would think they would. But I routinely run circles around casinos. It's regular folks who give them too much credit for thinking.
link to original post



What if they knew and just didn't care? Be careful not to give YOURSELF too much credit.....
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 564
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 9:00:13 AM permalink
In order to receive a veterans discount at a local store, I had to show proof of my service. I showed them my VA medical card ID and then they asked me "What Branch" was I in. WTF!

The first time I told them Army. The next time time I told them Air force, the next time Coast Guard, the next time Marines and to be fair the next time I told them Navy.

Idiots.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5633
Joined: May 23, 2016
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 9:14:53 AM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

In order to receive a veterans discount at a local store, I had to show proof of my service. I showed them my VA medical card ID and then they asked me "What Branch" was I in. WTF!

The first time I told them Army. The next time time I told them Air force, the next time Coast Guard, the next time Marines and to be fair the next time I told them Navy.

Idiots.
link to original post



I showed my Veteran ID in a store once for a 10% discount. The crotchety old guy at the register looked at the back of the card and said, "It's expired." It used to be you had to get your VA card "renewed" every once in a while, but not anymore. He didn't give me the discount, and I was kind of left speechless. Just because my card is expired doesn't make me NOT a veteran anymore, you idiot! The worst part of this whole scenario was this happened at an Army Surplus store!! I didn't see that guy there anymore not too much longer after that, so he either died (he was pretty old) or just got fired for being a moron.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 9:17:46 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: darkoz

No it doesn't.

I hit one of those ID at the entrance casinos for well over a year. They never noticed that the people whose freeplay was being taken never even entered the building.

You would think they would. But I routinely run circles around casinos. It's regular folks who give them too much credit for thinking.
link to original post



What if they knew and just didn't care? Be careful not to give YOURSELF too much credit.....
link to original post



They cared.

When they did figure it out (due to a slot malfunction unfortunately where they had to check who the money in the machine belonged to) I was evicted from the property.

After sending in my crew for two more months (this casino was very slow on the uptake) they banned those guys too.

Casinos ALWAYS care. They really are stupid. Sorry I do have to give myself credit as do most AP's. Unlike most gamblers we see the stupidity every day.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14070
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 9:40:19 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

In continental Europe showing a passport and passing through a metal detector seems to be standard procedure to enter a casino.



So is using the metric system. Doesn't make it an idea we want to emulate.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28862
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 9:47:07 AM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

In order to receive a veterans discount at a local store, I had to show proof of my service. I showed them my VA medical card ID and then they asked me "What Branch" was I in. WTF!

The first time I told them Army. The next time time I told them Air force, the next time Coast Guard, the next time Marines and to be fair the next time I told them Navy.

Idiots.
link to original post



Next time tell them you were an astronaut and see if they know that's not part of the Armed Forces.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5633
Joined: May 23, 2016
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 10:40:27 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Next time tell them you were an astronaut and see if they know that's not part of the Armed Forces.
link to original post



There are astronauts that are/were in the military, though...
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 10:47:27 AM permalink
It's occurred to me that there may be some legal implications for people who are banned.

In a few cases I have read where a person who had been trespassed and was caught argued they had frequented the casino multiple times without incident leading them to believe they were OK to return.

That of course didn't hold up but if someone banned shows their ID at the door, it's scanned and the person is allowed in I think that justification now has more legal merit.

It certainly would make an argument of trespassing more difficult to prove when they were physically checked and allowed in.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 11:08:04 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: FatGeezus

In order to receive a veterans discount at a local store, I had to show proof of my service. I showed them my VA medical card ID and then they asked me "What Branch" was I in. WTF!

The first time I told them Army. The next time time I told them Air force, the next time Coast Guard, the next time Marines and to be fair the next time I told them Navy.

Idiots.
link to original post



I showed my Veteran ID in a store once for a 10% discount. The crotchety old guy at the register looked at the back of the card and said, "It's expired." It used to be you had to get your VA card "renewed" every once in a while, but not anymore. He didn't give me the discount, and I was kind of left speechless. Just because my card is expired doesn't make me NOT a veteran anymore, you idiot! The worst part of this whole scenario was this happened at an Army Surplus store!! I didn't see that guy there anymore not too much longer after that, so he either died (he was pretty old) or just got fired for being a moron.
link to original post



I think people who work in army surplus deal with more phony vets than normal, and the guy was jaded. The guy was wrong, but I understand it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 4917
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
Thanked by
Mission146
November 8th, 2023 at 11:08:55 AM permalink
When the police or state police are checking ID's at the door, they may or may or may not be aware of the casino's list of prohibited persons. If casino personnel are checking ID's, they would likely be aware of 86'ed ex-patrons. These ID checks don't seem to be pandemic related lately as they were when vaccines first became widely available.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7481
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
November 8th, 2023 at 2:10:39 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Haven't seen paper driver's licenses since the late 1970's. They've all been photo ID, even the non-DL ID's. Of course teens were all about getting fake ID's for their drinking age in some states and bouncers with their UV lights to check if it's real. If you're a senior citizen and crossing state lines on a bus you may have skipped bringing ID with you because you weren't driving and weren't planning on hitting a hand pay JP. Not sure a casino would take an out of state ID. it does seem like a data dragnet and my local racino has turned to such tactics and I'll avoid them for it.
link to original post

The UK paper drivers licence is a quirky legacy from the 70s. It lasts until either, the driver reaches 70, the driver changes address, or the driver loses it because of driving penalty points. They are viewed very suspiciously by car hire firms outside the UK.

Mine's in tatters :o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2706
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
November 8th, 2023 at 4:11:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: Ace2

In continental Europe showing a passport and passing through a metal detector seems to be standard procedure to enter a casino.



So is using the metric system. Doesn't make it an idea we want to emulate.
link to original post

The US, Liberia and Myanmar are the only countries in the world that don’t use the metric system. You think it’s a good idea that we’re the only ones on the cumbersome imperial system?
It’s all about making that GTA
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 2155
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
November 8th, 2023 at 4:35:50 PM permalink
One east coast casino would not let my daughter in even though she had a state drivers license. They said anyone who looked under 25 needed two forms of ID. I was with her at the time but they still wouldn’t budge
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11546
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
November 8th, 2023 at 4:41:53 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

One east coast casino would not let my daughter in even though she had a state drivers license. They said anyone who looked under 25 needed two forms of ID. I was with her at the time but they still wouldn’t budge
link to original post



Jake's 58?

They are a bunch of idiots there. They did something similar to my daughter.

And it's 18 and over there.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
November 8th, 2023 at 4:54:26 PM permalink
I do not know about an individual casino adopting such a policy on their own, but cities (maybe States, I am not sure offhand), have done this to cut down on problem gamblers, the main rationale being that everyone needs to be checked against an exclusion list in order to gamble. I honestly do not know if it works, or is effective, but that is an explanation that I have heard for such local policy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28862
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
November 8th, 2023 at 4:57:52 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: Ace2

In continental Europe showing a passport and passing through a metal detector seems to be standard procedure to enter a casino.



So is using the metric system. Doesn't make it an idea we want to emulate.
link to original post

The US, Liberia and Myanmar are the only countries in the world that don’t use the metric system. You think it’s a good idea that we’re the only ones on the cumbersome imperial system?
link to original post



In 1975 Gerald Ford signed the Metric Conversion Act that was meant to switch us entirely over to the metric system. The only problem was it was completely voluntary so it was a complete flop. Nobody wanted to do it, it was too confusing, we were too set in our ways, so it just went away. I was 26 years old in 1975 I remember this very well and I didn't like it. If you don't grow up with it it's extremely confusing and I'm confused by it to this day. I know what a litre is but that's about it. I couldn't tell a centimeter from a millimeter from a centipede. It's all just confusing nonsense to me and to almost anybody else in this country. A kilometer just seems dumb to me. The speed on the freeway is 130 km per hour? It just sounds ridiculous.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2706
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
Thanked by
Mukke
November 8th, 2023 at 5:12:40 PM permalink
1000 millimeters or 100 centimeters in a meter. 1000 meters in a kilometer. Same system for weight and volume

Such a nonsensical, ridiculous system

5280 feet per mile, 12 inches per foot makes calculations much easier
It’s all about making that GTA
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1916
Joined: Dec 5, 2011
Thanked by
Joeman
November 8th, 2023 at 5:46:46 PM permalink
Spirit Mountain Casino in Arizona, near Laughlin, requires the patron to provide a social security card before they are paid on jackpots of $1200 or more.
100% risk of ruin
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 8th, 2023 at 6:39:41 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

1000 millimeters or 100 centimeters in a meter. 1000 meters in a kilometer. Same system for weight and volume

Such a nonsensical, ridiculous system

5280 feet per mile, 12 inches per foot makes calculations much easier
link to original post



The metric system was designed by Picts, living in the British Isles. As most of the men had six fingers on each hand, it made sense to use a base of 12. The average beard was around three hands, and made for a good measuring unit. A mile was the ideal length between neighbors.
The problem was most kids and adults hated converting the two, forgetting that it would be done for them. Did your world fall apart when soda switched from quarts to liters?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28862
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Thanked by
RogerKint
November 8th, 2023 at 6:42:24 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

1000 millimeters or 100 centimeters in a meter. 1000 meters in a kilometer.
link to original post



Might as well be saying 1,000 caterpillars is 100 centipedes, it would mean the same thing to me.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 2155
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
November 8th, 2023 at 10:52:19 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Quote: Hunterhill

One east coast casino would not let my daughter in even though she had a state drivers license. They said anyone who looked under 25 needed two forms of ID. I was with her at the time but they still wouldn’t budge
link to original post



Jake's 58?

They are a bunch of idiots there. They did something similar to my daughter.

And it's 18 and over there.
link to original post


Rivers Portsmouth
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
  • Jump to: