Thread Rating:

tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 12th, 2023 at 1:41:52 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Taxes last forever. None of my family wanted my Aunts house when she died, as the taxes without her many discounts would have exceeded $23,000 a year and do nothing but go up.
Renting also makes it easier to close your estate when you pass. Nothing shows love of family like leaving a complicated estate for them to unwind.
link to original post

Unless one has a revocable living trust with a pour-over will. No probate just asset dispersal with no muss or fuss, generally.

tuttigym
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 12th, 2023 at 1:49:51 PM permalink

Taxes last forever. None of my family wanted my Aunts house when she died, as the taxes without her many discounts would have exceeded $23,000 a year and do nothing but go up.
Renting also makes it easier to close your estate when you pass. Nothing shows love of family like leaving a complicated estate for them to unwind.
link to original post

It’s the American way. Just kick the can down the road.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 12th, 2023 at 2:31:47 PM permalink

link to original post

You do realize you are paying taxes in your rent?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
March 12th, 2023 at 2:42:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

You do realize you are paying taxes in your rent?
link to original post

Really? Good to know. I guess that changes everything.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
March 12th, 2023 at 2:54:05 PM permalink
Just live in your car.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
March 12th, 2023 at 3:06:12 PM permalink
I definitely prefer owning a home. However, your home is a place to live, not an investment

It’s funny hearing how people “made a huge profit” when they sold a house for three times what they paid twenty something years ago. First off, you’d have gotten a much better return from any investment, even a risk-free CD. Second, you probably LOST money if you deduct the hundreds of thousands of dollars you spent in property taxes, renovations etc. Best case scenario usually: you broke even

I actually think some Americans are better off renting because so many of them see a rise in home value as just another way to take on more debt, which is retarded: the goal is to pay down debt, not increase it
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
March 12th, 2023 at 3:13:29 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Just live in your car.
link to original post

I live in a fifth wheel and have no plans for anything else. I have an amish shed I'm using as an office and a storage container for what's left of my stock. My trailer is 38 feet and I might downsize it a bit. I don't want to spend 70K on a big pickup to haul it around if I go in that direction.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
March 12th, 2023 at 4:12:18 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

I live in a fifth wheel and have no plans for anything else. I have an amish shed I'm using as an office and a storage container for what's left of my stock. My trailer is 38 feet and I might downsize it a bit. I don't want to spend 70K on a big pickup to haul it around if I go in that direction.
link to original post

i think the future is 3d printed homes, but printed in basic polygon shapes that can fit together in multiple combinations, and assembled and disassembled and shipped across country on flatbed trucks that you can put on property using standardized plumbing and electrical bases Standardized wiring and plumbing will be put in during the printing.

Afterall, a rectangular living room of a 5-million-dollar house can have the same basic frame as a 250k house, just better exterior and interior external bits (and larger and more rooms) And if you want a octagon room with a 30 ft walls and domed ceilings you can order it.

Plug n play houses' No reason to sell or buy, just ship the modules for as long as they last.

Don't tell Elon, he's always stealing my ideas.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 12th, 2023 at 4:31:02 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I definitely prefer owning a home. However, your home is a place to live, not an investment

It’s funny hearing how people “made a huge profit” when they sold a house for three times what they paid twenty something years ago. First off, you’d have gotten a much better return from any investment, even a risk-free CD. Second, you probably LOST money if you deduct the hundreds of thousands of dollars you spent in property taxes, renovations etc. Best case scenario usually: you broke even

That depends. Rush Limbaugh's estate just sold for $150 million or so. He bought it for $3 million or so in the early 1990s. No "risk free CD" comes close to that. Of course, it is in one of the highest markets in the USA. But even in average metro markets you are several times your investment over that time.

The "better return" thing is flawed. Lets say you are an average person who bought a house 30 years ago in 1993, the median then was around $130,000. Today the median is almost $430,000. Lets round down to $400,000.

But you did not invest the whole $130,000! You probably put down $30,000ish.

So one guy puts down $30,000 then makes the payments. Another guy puts the $30,000 into an S&P 500 index fund. He has about the same $400,000!

EXCEPT--his rent keeps going up! He could not itemize his income tax pre-2018. He does not get the credit rating bump and all other positives of the equity. OTOH, he has no maintenance issues. OTOOH, many people like keeping up their places, so I give that a wash.

You get capita gain tax breaks of all sorts on the home, none on the index fund.

It is not a "better return" renting and investing.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
March 12th, 2023 at 4:31:48 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

i think the future is 3d printed homes, but printed in basic polygon shapes that can fit together in multiple combinations, and assembled and disassembled and shipped across country on flatbed trucks that you can put on property using standardized plumbing and electrical bases Standardized wiring and plumbing will be put in during the printing.

Afterall, a rectangular living room of a 5-million-dollar house can have the same basic frame as a 250k house, just better exterior and interior external bits (and larger and more rooms) And if you want a octagon room with a 30 ft walls and domed ceilings you can order it.

Plug n play houses' No reason to sell or buy, just ship the modules for as long as they last.

link to original post

Is this Lustron revisited?

(The transport costs will be ridiculous, and damage in transit will be a problem if replacement modules cannot be obtained.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
March 12th, 2023 at 4:54:06 PM permalink
Camping World is working on modular pods that work like a hub and spoke. A larger pod goes in the center, and you add smaller pods as needed. It's supposed to run about $40,000 and the add-on pods will be 12-15,000 each. It's overdue and back ordered last I looked at them.
rxwine
rxwine
March 12th, 2023 at 5:09:04 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

(The transport costs will be ridiculous, and damage in transit will be a problem if replacement modules cannot be obtained.)
link to original post

Damage? =Insurance.

Going to float the modules across the country with giant balloons. Heh, okay, maybe it would be cheaper to reprint. But seriously moving a regular house is obviously more problematic than solid modules. Houses aren't initially designed with moving the whole thing at some point.

If you have a truck and trailer you could move one module at a time yourself. Maybe you have to rent a small crane.

I messed up the formatting of this reply, and if I try to fix it wiill probably just be worse.
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
  • Threads: 1
March 12th, 2023 at 5:10:29 PM permalink
Not so much Lustron as Lego, if I understand correctly. Also, there are companies 3D printing concrete houses right now: iconbuild is one example.

My mom grew up in one of the Lombard Illinois Lustrons. Which is still standing, mostly unmodified, 70+ years later.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 12th, 2023 at 5:23:42 PM permalink

link to original post

Damage? =Insurance.

Going to float the modules across the country with giant balloons. Heh, okay, maybe it would be cheaper to reprint. But seriously moving a regular house is obviously more problematic than solid modules. Houses aren't initially designed with moving the whole thing at some point.

If you have a truck and trailer you could move one module at a time yourself. Maybe you have to rent a small crane.
link to original post

Snip.

In the current mobile home scene, yes, transport costs are ridiculous.

If the modules you envision are more than 8' tall, there will be problems with standard transport. More than 15' tall, it gets even trickier.

If the modules look like shipping containers, they're easy to move, but cramped to live in.

Will your insurance cover damages if you drop something while you're dismantling your house with a crane you borrowed from a guy you know?

It's entirely plausible that the current production modular parts don't interconnect with the 12 year old parts that survived.

I'm actually not hating the idea of modular construction. I'd kind of like to see what comes from American Industrial Gumption when applied to the idea of a Unit Bath.
rxwine
rxwine
March 12th, 2023 at 5:29:42 PM permalink

link to original post

Damage? =Insurance.

link to original post

Snip.

If the modules you envision are more than 8' tall, there will be problems with standard transport. More than 15' tall, it gets even trickier.

If the modules look like shipping containers, they're easy to move, but cramped to live in.

Will your insurance cover damages if you drop something while you're dismantling your house with a crane you borrowed from a guy you know?

It's entirely plausible that the current production modular parts don't interconnect with the 12 year old parts that survived.

I'm actually not hating the idea of modular construction. I'd kind of like to see what comes from American Industrial Gumption when applied to the idea of a Unit Bath.
link to original post

I don't think insurance covers anything unless it's in the paperwork you signed.. : )

So, how do you make an oversized box smaller? Perhaps have an additional mechanism to separate into two equal parts for shipping. Now everything fits on the road.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 12th, 2023 at 6:30:50 PM permalink

link to original post

Damage? =Insurance.

link to original post

Snip.

link to original post

I don't think insurance covers anything unless it's in the paperwork you signed.. : )

So, how do you make an oversized box smaller? Perhaps have an additional mechanism to separate into two equal parts for shipping. Now everything fits on the road.
link to original post

There was a joke in the manufactured housing community where I grew up. Something like:
How do you know a kid is from the trailer park?
(drawling) "Momma... when I grow up, I wanna live in a double-wide."

Those half-sized boxes still require special transport.

Honestly though, double-wides are kinda cool. Not usually associated with the luxury housing market, but the technology fascinates.
rxwine
rxwine
March 12th, 2023 at 7:04:36 PM permalink
Yo Dieter, stop shooting bullets at my baby. It's not even out of the crib yet. Dag Nabit!.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 12th, 2023 at 7:30:21 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

He tows his home around with his vehicle, same thing..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 12th, 2023 at 7:32:31 PM permalink

Yo Dieter, stop shooting bullets at my baby. It's not even out of the crib yet. Dag Nabit!.
link to original post

There are some really interesting things in the field. If you can figure out the dismantle and relocate bit, you'll really be on to something.

All the people I've met with Lustron homes have absolutely loved them, and it seemed like their enthusiasm was greater than the usual quirky niche stuff.

Enjoy the day!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 12th, 2023 at 9:11:10 PM permalink
Quote: LoquaciousMoFW

Not so much Lustron as Lego, if I understand correctly. Also, there are companies 3D printing concrete houses right now: iconbuild is one example.

My mom grew up in one of the Lombard Illinois Lustrons. Which is still standing, mostly unmodified, 70+ years later.
link to original post

So for a new 3d printed concrete home that is 1574 sq ft situated in West Texas, Iconbuild states that prices start in the mid $400K. That doesn't include the land. Not sure how you handle things like a heating system or AC system. Seems kinda expensive to me. Maybe unit costs will drop in the future?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
March 12th, 2023 at 11:45:06 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

They will always find a way to make it just as expensive. If you find a way to make super cheap houses the cost of land will skyrocket.

I hear the shipping containers are seriously stacking up in china. Problem solved.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 13th, 2023 at 4:48:58 AM permalink

So, how do you make an oversized box smaller?

Compression. Look at those foam mattresses that ship in a cardboard box. Just open a 24"x24"x24" box an out pops a king sized mattress. Just need to find a way to shove your house in that box.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 5:26:39 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

edit, I just went an looked up images of shipping containers homes, and many look pretty fancy now. The home i saw still looked mostly container on the outside, Footage was 5000 feet as the 3rd story roof was used as a deck.

link to original post

They will always find a way to make it just as expensive. If you find a way to make super cheap houses the cost of land will skyrocket.

I hear the shipping containers are seriously stacking up in china. Problem solved.
link to original post

I've been in a 3 story shipping container house. It was interesting. Has to be one of the cheapest ways to build a home, assuming you're not getting inflated prices on used containers. Although many of the rooms were small, some were cutout enough between two or more containers. It was furnished just like a regular home. If you don't mind the metal shipping container look you can go heavy metal.

Of course, one issue could be finding a location where your neighbors won't complain about that look. But functionally, there is nothing wrong with the idea.
Last edited by: rxwine on Mar 13, 2023
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
March 13th, 2023 at 5:33:49 AM permalink
I've got a blizzard coming tonight and the heat went out in my bedroom yesterday. Convincing the property manager to replace the heating valve in the laundry room could be difficult because facts don't matter to her, at all, unless it's her facts then she's really ragey. I also have to clean the apartment for a few hours before I call, so this all may get postponed until next week. Hopefully the hot water pipe won't freeze and explode.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 13th, 2023 at 7:19:03 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

So for a new 3d printed concrete home that is 1574 sq ft situated in West Texas, Iconbuild states that prices start in the mid $400K. That doesn't include the land. Not sure how you handle things like a heating system or AC system. Seems kinda expensive to me. Maybe unit costs will drop in the future?
link to original post

The thing is, 3D printing only does the exterior walls.

There are a lot of other things that go into construction that make it expensive that 3D printing does not help with - plumbing, electric, interior finishing, etc.
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 8:58:39 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

link to original post

link to original post

The thing is, 3D printing only does the exterior walls.

There are a lot of other things that go into construction that make it expensive that 3D printing does not help with - plumbing, electric, interior finishing, etc.
link to original post

That's why one should adopt a standard so the plumbling and wiring will be inlaid during printing rather than installing later. You know exactly where it will be if you need to access it. I also assume, they have to do repairs on just about anything for one reason or another. It's good to have consistent standards.
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2023 at 1:25:53 PM permalink

They claim 85% of this rocket is 3D printed. Of course, it failed to launch last week as planned.

https://www.relativityspace.com/
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 13th, 2023 at 2:11:14 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

edit, I just went an looked up images of shipping containers homes, and many look pretty fancy now. The home i saw still looked mostly container on the outside, Footage was 5000 feet as the 3rd story roof was used as a deck.

link to original post

link to original post

I've been in a 3 story shipping container house. It was interesting. Has to be one of the cheapest ways to build a home, assuming you're not getting inflated prices on used containers. Although many of the rooms were small, some were cutout enough between two or more containers. It was furnished just like a regular home. If you don't mind the metal shipping container look you can go heavy metal.

Of course, one issue could be finding a location where your neighbors won't complain about that look. But functionally, there is nothing wrong with the idea.
link to original post

Containers are not great to build homes despite looking hipster-cool. When you cut out walls. doors, and windows you seriously weaken things and have to add in support. Better ways out there.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
March 13th, 2023 at 3:14:28 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Containers are not great to build homes despite looking hipster-cool. When you cut out walls. doors, and windows you seriously weaken things and have to add in support. Better ways out there.
link to original post

Do you add insulation to the exterior walls of a container house?

There are many features of a house that go beyond an exterior shell that make modern homes comfortable. Ventilation. Roofs and gutters that channel rainwater away from the structure. Floors with some give so that your legs and feet don't start to ache. A firm foundation so that the structure does not start to tilt/lean in the future.

Getting wifi/internet into steel containers will require a penetration since wifi doesn't go through steel containers. Clothes driers, dishwashers and stoves require vents to the exterior. So will whatever options you use for heat and AC. Electrical wiring in an electrically-conductive shell is a pretty serious matter because of the hazards posed by shorts and arcing in the future. Also, wall penetrations for pipes for running water and sewage.

meh.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 3:16:30 PM permalink
People don't seem to save much building their own homes as it is no matter what they use. If it's true you only save maybe 10-15%, or maybe not even that. I would think industry gets a better deal on materials since they use mass quantities. I guess there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but that's a lot of work. I wouldn't do it myself.
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 3:23:54 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

There are many features of a house that go beyond an exterior shell that make modern homes comfortable. Ventilation. Roofs and gutters that channel rainwater away from the structure. Floors with some give so that your legs and feet don't start to ache. A firm foundation so that the structure does not start to tilt/lean in the future.

Getting wifi/internet into steel containers will require a penetration since wifi doesn't go through steel containers. Clothes driers, dishwashers and stoves require vents to the exterior. So will whatever options you use for heat and AC. Electrical wiring in an electrically-conductive shell is a pretty serious matter because of the hazards posed by shorts and arcing in the future. Also, wall penetrations for pipes for running water and sewage.

meh.
link to original post

Google "shipping container homes" and the "Image" tab and take a look at all of them. I don't know what they're doing, but they almost all are prettier on the outside than the one I was in.
billryan
billryan
March 13th, 2023 at 3:59:16 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

meh.
link to original post

You need to think outside the box when building with alternative methods like containers. It's different in Arizona where snow and winter isn't a factor.
Place two forty-foot containers fifteen feet apart, Put an overhead port between the two , enclose the two ends with lumber/sheetrock and you have a 1560 square-foot shell for about $10,000. I think a solar set up would be another $10,000. I don't think you can build a better shell for that amount. The rest is up to your budget. I've seen homes that looked like adobe houses but were containers someone stuccoed. A neighbor has a 40-foot container that is done up inside like a rustic cabin. While he has a compost toilet, he has a "pissing funnel "in a corner for liquid relief. He's saving up for a septic system and building a deck.

You can cut doors and windows without weakening the structure. I've seen containers where one whole long side was removed.
I've seen a few compounds that had multiple containers- one would be a living room/kichen and another would be a bedroom
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 13th, 2023 at 4:11:22 PM permalink

You can cut doors and windows without weakening the structure. I've seen containers where one whole long side was removed.
I've seen a few compounds that had multiple containers- one would be a living room/kichen and another would be a bedroom
link to original post

No, you can't. They get their strength form being a "unitized" structure. IOW, there is no "framing." Saying that cutting a window or door will not weaken it is like saying you can cut a window in a piece of plywood without weakening it.

I will not dispute some people do it and it may not appear weak. But it is. Cut a few holes and it will get even weaker. Any article I ever read about building with them warns about this.
billryan
billryan
March 13th, 2023 at 5:07:10 PM permalink

link to original post

No, you can't. They get their strength form being a "unitized" structure. IOW, there is no "framing." Saying that cutting a window or door will not weaken it is like saying you can cut a window in a piece of plywood without weakening it.

I will not dispute some people do it and it may not appear weak. But it is. Cut a few holes and it will get even weaker. Any article I ever read about building with them warns about this.
link to original post

Cut a window in an armored car and it is weaker. It's still an armored car. What do you think cutting doors and windows does to a steel container? It's not going to get bounced around.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 13th, 2023 at 5:16:34 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Cut a window in an armored car and it is weaker. It's still an armored car. What do you think cutting doors and windows does to a steel container? It's not going to get bounced around.
link to original post

Containers are not armored cars. They are only made for limited uses. What do I think it does? It weakens the structure. Eventually it will sag and the doors and windows will not function. I am just reporting from my research, I am not going to keep debating it.
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 5:20:10 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Houses aren't built without supports, plus you also you need the rest of the roof. What's the better way?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
March 13th, 2023 at 5:20:50 PM permalink

Just live in your car.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Quit stomping on my dreams.

How about an Earthship(I know they can actually cost a lot but I think that's due to other factors unrelated to the actual cost)

I find alternative cheaper house methods fascinating and interesting. Try to have an RL conversation with anyone regarding an Earthship and they will tune out by the 3rd sentence.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
March 13th, 2023 at 5:44:50 PM permalink
Several people are building with EF Blocks. They are interesting. Hollow blocks are assembled in place and then you pour cement into them. It can be cheaper, as you can do some of the installations yourself, but you will need a full construction crew.
you can get the blocks custom cut to your own design but they were backlogged when I looked last month.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
March 13th, 2023 at 5:51:33 PM permalink
https://www.pbs.org/video/good-stuff-power-earthships/
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 6:02:52 PM permalink

https://www.pbs.org/video/good-stuff-power-earthships/
link to original post

I'm a big fan of getting off the grid, or what I call the chain of new energy masters. When we stop paying the wood company, you pay the coal company, then you pay the gas company, then you pay the solar plants and wind companies, and then you send your check to the nuclear plant company.

I like solutions that won't require a check to the next master. Or at least as few as possible.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
March 13th, 2023 at 6:03:15 PM permalink
Earthships seem to take it as a premise that you are building one in an arid sunny desert environment. Try building an Earthship in Oregon or Pennsylvania or Buffalo and see how that works.

Earthships remind me of the vast shanty-town outside of Mexico city, where the homeless poor build three walls out of tires and then throw a tarp over the walls as a roof to make a hut that is open on one side. I doubt that anyone who has seen this Mexican shanty-town aspires to live like that.

So if you use 100-200 old truck tires per Earthship, are there enough tires for everyone on Earth to live like this? Is there enough water in our arid deserts to sustain a metropolis of Earthships? Is the foundation of an Earthship engineered to be stable for a 100 years?

Sorry for shining reality on this concept.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
March 13th, 2023 at 9:10:04 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I've got a blizzard coming tonight and the heat went out in my bedroom yesterday. Convincing the property manager to replace the heating valve in the laundry room could be difficult because facts don't matter to her, at all, unless it's her facts then she's really ragey. I also have to clean the apartment for a few hours before I call, so this all may get postponed until next week. Hopefully the hot water pipe won't freeze and explode.
link to original post

The number one way to not freeze to death in a blizzard is to make sure you're up to date on your vaccinations.
100% risk of ruin
sevencard2003
sevencard2003
  • Threads: 15
March 15th, 2023 at 12:56:24 PM permalink

If you can work remotely, why not move? I'd guess there are thousands of houses in Southern Arizona for $200,000 and less. I'm meeting more and more people who work remotely. Someone I know that works for Disney just bought a six-acre ranch with a decent manufactured house for $76,000.
link to original post

some people make their living in casinos. they cant just live in the middle of nowhere and still make good money.
sevencard2003.blogspot.com
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
March 15th, 2023 at 1:13:12 PM permalink
Quote: sevencard2003

If you can work remotely, why not move? I'd guess there are thousands of houses in Southern Arizona for $200,000 and less. I'm meeting more and more people who work remotely. Someone I know that works for Disney just bought a six-acre ranch with a decent manufactured house for $76,000.
link to original post

some people make their living in casinos. they cant just live in the middle of nowhere and still make good money.
link to original post

You can get a house and property in WV on or near waterfronts for under 100k. But there's probably not much to do.
DRich
DRich
March 15th, 2023 at 1:30:42 PM permalink
Quote: sevencard2003

link to original post

What about Bullhead City? Lots of homes available cheaply. This one in only $69,000 and it look like it has a guest house out front.

billryan
billryan
March 15th, 2023 at 2:02:42 PM permalink
Dolan or Chloride in Arizona. Goodsprings Nevada
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 15th, 2023 at 2:20:27 PM permalink

Dolan or Chloride in Arizona. Goodsprings Nevada.
link to original post

Dolan springs might be the strangest place I’ve ever passed through, which is saying something having been all around central PA.
billryan
billryan
March 15th, 2023 at 2:46:54 PM permalink

Dolan or Chloride in Arizona. Goodsprings Nevada.
link to original post

Dolan springs might be the strangest place I’ve ever passed through, which is saying something having been all around central PA.
link to original post

Someone at an estate sale told me about a building in the heart of town that sounded perfect for a business. I spent two days investigating the town , although I knew it was not right. Good traffic flow for the right people.
A few years ago, a company sold cabins on small lots fifteen minutes north of Dolan Springs for $30,000 or so.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
RogerKint
March 15th, 2023 at 4:03:54 PM permalink
You could move to Somalia or Yemen and live like a king on $1000 per month
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
March 15th, 2023 at 4:44:40 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

You could move to Somalia or Yemen and live like a king on $1000 per month
link to original post

Might have to travel a ways to find the nearest casino.
  • Jump to: