AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 12th, 2022 at 6:48:34 AM permalink
Maybe it is about getting older, but more and more I get fascinated about what I will call "Time Relevance."

Last week the Steelers had their worst loss since 1989. I remember that period well. It was 33 years ago. That means this loss has the same time relevance to that loss as that loss did to a game in 1956,

This fall, "Seinfeld" will have been gone 25 years (rounding the time to spring, 1998-2023) Meaning that "Seinfeld" should feel the same now as "Bewitched" did the year "Seinfeld" went off the air.

In 1985 by dad bought a 1947 Cadillac to restore. The Cadillac that was in the showroom the weekend we got it now should look as old and out of place today as that one did then.

Almost twice as much time has passed since the attempt on Reagan's life to now than JFK being shot to then.

The Mirage, the first hotel in this era of Vegas, was opened in 1989, 33 years ago. Move back 33 years from that and you are at 1955, which itself opened an era in Vegas with many of the classic, old-school places opening. 1990-2005 most of those were imploded. Does The Mirage have more time left than that?

Discuss.......
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
FTB
FTB
  • Threads: 7
October 12th, 2022 at 6:59:33 AM permalink
nos·tal·gia
/näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/

noun

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

"I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"
Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
October 12th, 2022 at 7:00:50 AM permalink
If you were living 50 years in the future for the last 50 years, it'd be 2072 by now. Hollywood would be reverse engineering everything that was futuristic to them and there'd be 50 years of movies that took place 50 years in the future. I guess Cyberpunk 2077 is all the rage now whatever that is.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 12th, 2022 at 8:17:46 AM permalink
This is especially weird to do with movies and television thanks to technological advancements.

For example, Jurassic Park was released 29 years ago in 1993, yet it looks like it could have been made today.

But 29 years before 1993 it was 1964, and there's no way a movie made in '64 would be confused for a movie made in '93.

The early '90s, it seems like, was a turning point for movies and TV where not much advancement has been made since then on a broad level. Most stuff from the '80s still looks very dated, and definitely the '70s, but a lot of movies, sitcoms, and other TV shows from the '90s onward look like they could have been made today.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
AxelWolf
October 12th, 2022 at 8:34:06 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

This is especially weird to do with movies and television thanks to technological advancements.

For example, Jurassic Park was released 29 years ago in 1993, yet it looks like it could have been made today.

But 29 years before 1993 it was 1964, and there's no way a movie made in '64 would be confused for a movie made in '93.

The early '90s, it seems like, was a turning point for movies and TV where not much advancement has been made since then on a broad level. Most stuff from the '80s still looks very dated, and definitely the '70s, but a lot of movies, sitcoms, and other TV shows from the '90s onward look like they could have been made today.
link to original post

This is all a good point. Though I think 80's movies look different than 70s, tech did change in the 90s. "Die Hard" was one of the last movies made where they had to do the effects old-school, by actually making them. But cars are a big thing. The auto industry really changed 1979-1984. A 1979 car in 1984 almost felt older than a 1984 car will even today.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 12th, 2022 at 9:55:25 AM permalink
Can you think of an manmade object 60 or more years old that looks like it could have been made this year?

So far I can’t. In fact, it’s hurting my brain because it feels like there should be something. Closest I can come is maybe a gemstone as long as it’s not in a setting. But even a cut gemstone isn’t purely manmade.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 12th, 2022 at 10:11:37 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Can you think of an manmade object 60 or more years old that looks like it could have been made this year?

link to original post

Lots of household objects... some furniture, things like silverware, simple plates and dishes, curtains, bedding....

Other things off the top of my head: certain clothes, pencils, records (only because the tech hasn't changed), some toys...

You just have to think simple. There's probably lots of stuff that hasn't changed much.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
October 12th, 2022 at 10:26:16 AM permalink
I think about this dynamic quite often!

I’ve told my son that when I was a kid in the late ‘70s, there was only one, maybe two radio stations that played the music from 30 years prior: Big Band and swing music from the ‘40s. But now, there are plenty of stations that still play disco songs and ‘80s music, which are now 40-45 years old. I chalk that up to music still evolving from their rock ’n roll and rhythm & blues roots, whereas swing is mostly surviving through occasional tributes from the likes of Gaga-Tony Bennett.

And when I was a teen, “Back to the Future” made it seem like 30 years ago (1955) was so far away, yet now we’re 37 years from 1985 and it doesn’t seem so long ago. (And there are those memes that say if Marty McFly went back 30 years, he would go to 1992.)

My daughter is now into records with her Harry Styles LP (the best selling vinyl since 1991), so I pulled out my Madonna records and people are like “whoa, those are original?!" I guess having something for 38 years is impressive.

We’re staying at Bellagio this Thanksgiving and I wanted the kids to see one of the “newer” hotels, but now even that place is 23 years old!
Last edited by: smoothgrh on Oct 12, 2022
rxwine
rxwine
October 12th, 2022 at 10:27:43 AM permalink

link to original post

Lots of household objects... some furniture, things like silverware, simple plates and dishes, curtains, bedding....

Other things off the top of my head: certain clothes, pencils, records (only because the tech hasn't changed), some toys...

You just have to think simple. There's probably lots of stuff that hasn't changed much.
link to original post

I’m not sure I agree. When you start handling stuff, the material can feel and be different even if it looks the same.

A pencil might be one item though. No 2 pencil.

Although the printing on it might give it away to the time period.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 12th, 2022 at 10:30:00 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Yeah, first thing off the top of my head was lamps, because the designs are still influenced by mid-century modern and 1960s asymmetrical styles.

Oh, I also watched "Soylent Green" for the first time earlier this year because it takes place in 2022, 50 years after the movie came out in 1972. It's one of those movies that's still fascinating even though you know the ending, much like "Planet of the Apes."
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 12th, 2022 at 10:32:50 AM permalink
There's one thing that still looks the same as from 60 years ago (for you folks in publishing): a pica pole!
rxwine
rxwine
October 12th, 2022 at 10:38:58 AM permalink
Maybe I’m being picky, but the electrical cord of an old lamp is likely different. I could be wrong on that though.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 12th, 2022 at 10:51:08 AM permalink
How about a hammer. Or an axe. Probably a lot of other simple tools, as long as plastic isn't involved.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 12th, 2022 at 10:57:37 AM permalink
Oh man, if I had a hammer…

Yeah, the plug of a 1960s electric device would definitely look different. I have some clocks from the '70s and they have tiny, squarish plugs made from cheap-feeling plastic.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
October 12th, 2022 at 12:08:09 PM permalink

link to original post

The absolute first movie special effects breakthrough was Star Wars made in 1977. To my knowledge that was the first movie that used computer generated FX. Those FX changed the industry and basically made anything possible and "real." Without getting super technical, prior to that movie the FX was quite primitive and unsophisticated.

tuttigym
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 12th, 2022 at 12:52:50 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

The absolute first movie special effects breakthrough was Star Wars made in 1977.
link to original post

Whoa, check out the video in this article about the Star Wars rebel pilot briefing room.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 12th, 2022 at 2:53:30 PM permalink
All my VCR's and cassette decks are obsolete. Not sure they can play their mediums of tapes. I've got one last chance to dub them onto a computer. My computers are over 10 years old, and new ones with new chips are vey expensive with the new inflation. My record albums have to be played on the latest record player I could find onto computers. There's a huge time investment to get the clutter out of my life by digitizing them first and making backup copies stored elsewhere. I've got photos from several years I need to scan.

I need a new 4K TV and after 7 years I still haven't found what I'm looking for, same with PS5's. My stereo system is so last century but it's all I can handle really. My hard drive DVR's are SD and should have the content burned to DVD and retired.

I've got boxes of books and notes that need some serious housecleaning. With a good phone camera and selfie lights, I could take photos of a lot of this stuff then toss them out.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 12th, 2022 at 4:12:33 PM permalink

So far I can’t. In fact, it’s hurting my brain because it feels like there should be something. Closest I can come is maybe a gemstone as long as it’s not in a setting. But even a cut gemstone isn’t purely manmade.
link to original post

Go to the Henry Ford museum near Detroit. Ford knew things would change and he collected all kinds of household items every year or two to show it. There are dozens of vacuum cleaners alone.

Even things that do not change change. Consider the VW Beetle. One year the make the window bigger, another they added more vents for the engine. Eventually all kinds of changes.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 12th, 2022 at 9:13:25 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Maybe it is about getting older, but more and more I get fascinated about what I will call "Time Relevance."

Last week the Steelers had their worst loss since 1989. I remember that period well. It was 33 years ago. That means this loss has the same time relevance to that loss as that loss did to a game in 1956,

This fall, "Seinfeld" will have been gone 25 years (rounding the time to spring, 1998-2023) Meaning that "Seinfeld" should feel the same now as "Bewitched" did the year "Seinfeld" went off the air.

In 1985 by dad bought a 1947 Cadillac to restore. The Cadillac that was in the showroom the weekend we got it now should look as old and out of place today as that one did then.

Almost twice as much time has passed since the attempt on Reagan's life to now than JFK being shot to then.

The Mirage, the first hotel in this era of Vegas, was opened in 1989, 33 years ago. Move back 33 years from that and you are at 1955, which itself opened an era in Vegas with many of the classic, old-school places opening. 1990-2005 most of those were imploded. Does The Mirage have more time left than that?

Discuss.......
link to original post

As a child we think that the anything that happened before our time was ancient history. We carry that perception throughout our life. Then when we get into middle age we have experienced four or so decades first hand and our understanding of time spans conflicts with the perception that we still have about the years before our time.

When I was in high school in the 70s we had 50s day every year. We would grease back our hair and wear white t shirts. The girls would wear dresses with knee socks, 50s hair styles, etc. When my daughter was in high school in the 2000s the tradition continued. They had 80s day. Seemed absolutely absurd to me. 80s wasn’t that long ago.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 12th, 2022 at 9:28:09 PM permalink
Back To The Future Part II: Pizza Time - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8oS4VbRaAA
They had wide screen TV and virtual reality glasses in 1989!

Smothers Brothers 1989 Magnavox 52" Big Screen TV Commercial - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibBWw4dpEho

When did big screen TVs come out?
In 1997, Sharp and Sony introduced the first large flat screen TV. It was created using the PALC technology and measured 42 inches, a record size at the time. This first model sold for more than $15,000, making it well out of reach for most Americans.

How much did a flat screen TV cost in 2005?
In 2005 CNET reviewed one of the first LCD-based TVs, the Sony KDL-VXBR1. It measured 40 inches in size and cost a whopping $4,000

I got my 42" 120hz TV for $650 in late 2009 when digital cable boxes were required for included HD above channel 99.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Oct 12, 2022
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 13th, 2022 at 1:34:57 AM permalink
Why wasn't College I took an extra curricular course called Silva Mind Control. It's still around but it's called the Silva Method today. They talked a lot about how we create our own reality and it's something I thought about a thousand times and I've actually repeated it many times but it's not till I've gotten older that I realize how true it is.

I'm 73 years old now and when I look back at different periods of my life I absolutely am aware that I created the circumstances that I lived in, the circumstances did not create me. I can do this fairly well because I still live in the same house that I lived in when I was 10 years old. I've lived here off and on for the last 63 years and full-time for the last 20 years. I bought the house from my dad in the 80s on a no interest land contract and I paid it off in the early nineties thinking I would fix it up and sell it I was spending so much time here so I just started living here and my wife didn't complain so we've lived separately for the last 20 years.

Anyway, my point is this house hasn't changed, the area I live in hasn't changed that much, the property hasn't changed. I have changed over time. The reality I was creating in 1962 is totally different from the reality I was creating in 1972 and I got back from California in 1983 and that reality was again totally different. We definitely create our own reality but it doesn't feel that way. I can see it plain as day in retrospect. Whatever my life was like at any given point in my history I was creating that life, the circumstances around me we're not creating it. It makes me wonder if you fully realize this at age 20 what you could do. Some people do realize it and they do extremely well. I think Elon Musk is an example.

If you let the circumstances surrounding you create your life for you, like if you live in poverty and just accept that fact, you are creating your reality because you can break out of that and create something else. Right now I'm creating a different reality for myself for this winter. When everybody turns their clocks back in November and becomes depressed because the sun goes down at 5 p.m. I'm turning my clock ahead an hour so on New Year's Day the sun will go down at my house at 7:15 p.m. Not 5:15 p.m. And this will change my life radically. I'm screwing with time. Yes I know there will still be the same number of hours of daylight but I don't get up till 11 a.m. If you look at the time stamp I'm posting this at 4:30 a.m. because I'm still up. So for me the sun comes up at 11 a.m.. This will give me two more hours of daylight to get things done and this will change my reality. I told this to my wife thinking she would say I finally lost my mind but she didn't. She actually said she wished she could do it but of course she's a woman so she has a huge social life that totally depends on time and appointments. If I have my wife's endorsement, that's huge.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 13th, 2022 at 4:21:00 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

When everybody turns their clocks back in November and becomes depressed because the sun goes down at 5 p.m. I'm turning my clock ahead an hour so on New Year's Day the sun will go down at my house at 7:15 p.m.

I can't see that causing any problems.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 9:24:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

When everybody turns their clocks back in November and becomes depressed because the sun goes down at 5 p.m. I'm turning my clock ahead an hour so on New Year's Day the sun will go down at my house at 7:15 p.m.

I can't see that causing any problems.
link to original post

There aren't any because I don't have cable TV, I don't have any appointments except the doctor's appointment once a year, so the real-time has no effect on me at all. I do everything in my time, might as well make my own time.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
October 13th, 2022 at 1:09:04 PM permalink

Why wasn't College I took an extra curricular course called Silva Mind Control. It's still around but it's called the Silva Method today. They talked a lot about how we create our own reality and it's something I thought about a thousand times and I've actually repeated it many times but it's not till I've gotten older that I realize how true it is.

I'm 73 years old now and when I look back at different periods of my life I absolutely am aware that I created the circumstances that I lived in, the circumstances did not create me. I can do this fairly well because I still live in the same house that I lived in when I was 10 years old. I've lived here off and on for the last 63 years and full-time for the last 20 years. I bought the house from my dad in the 80s on a no interest land contract and I paid it off in the early nineties thinking I would fix it up and sell it I was spending so much time here so I just started living here and my wife didn't complain so we've lived separately for the last 20 years.

Anyway, my point is this house hasn't changed, the area I live in hasn't changed that much, the property hasn't changed. I have changed over time. The reality I was creating in 1962 is totally different from the reality I was creating in 1972 and I got back from California in 1983 and that reality was again totally different. We definitely create our own reality but it doesn't feel that way. I can see it plain as day in retrospect. Whatever my life was like at any given point in my history I was creating that life, the circumstances around me we're not creating it. It makes me wonder if you fully realize this at age 20 what you could do. Some people do realize it and they do extremely well. I think Elon Musk is an example.

If you let the circumstances surrounding you create your life for you, like if you live in poverty and just accept that fact, you are creating your reality because you can break out of that and create something else. Right now I'm creating a different reality for myself for this winter. When everybody turns their clocks back in November and becomes depressed because the sun goes down at 5 p.m. I'm turning my clock ahead an hour so on New Year's Day the sun will go down at my house at 7:15 p.m. Not 5:15 p.m. And this will change my life radically. I'm screwing with time. Yes I know there will still be the same number of hours of daylight but I don't get up till 11 a.m. If you look at the time stamp I'm posting this at 4:30 a.m. because I'm still up. So for me the sun comes up at 11 a.m.. This will give me two more hours of daylight to get things done and this will change my reality. I told this to my wife thinking she would say I finally lost my mind but she didn't. She actually said she wished she could do it but of course she's a woman so she has a huge social life that totally depends on time and appointments. If I have my wife's endorsement, that's huge.
link to original post

Modern day grifters call what you are describing the law of attraction.

The massively popular book/documentary called “The Secret” is all about it.

All bunk in my opinion.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
October 13th, 2022 at 1:20:54 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

link to original post

All bunk in my opinion.
link to original post

I really don't understand the need to change the clock.

If I want to wake up at eleven AM I just do. I don't need to make believe it's nine in the morning.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 1:29:40 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

link to original post

Because on December 21st when the Sun goes down at 5:15 p.m. at my house it'll be 7:15 p.m. It will allow me more hours of daylight to get things done outside. Lack of daylight in the winter is a major cause of depression, some people actually sit in light boxes in the winter so they get more light. I'm taking a different route and I couldn't be happier about it. I also just bought enough cat food to last till the middle of March because I don't feel like wrestling 20 lb bags of cat food into the house in January. I have 15 bags cat food stacked by the back door now because if I put them in the basement the mice will get them. Ditto the garage.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Oct 13, 2022
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 1:31:18 PM permalink

All bunk in my opinion.
link to original post

This ain't that..
darkoz
darkoz
October 13th, 2022 at 1:57:00 PM permalink

link to original post

Because on December 21st when the Sun goes down at 5:15 p.m. at my house it'll be 7:15 p.m. Call allow me to more hours of daylight to get things done outside. Lack of daylight in the winter is a major cause of depression, some people actually sit in light boxes in the winter so they get more light. I'm taking a different route and I couldn't be happier about it. I also just bought enough cat food to last till the middle of March because I don't feel like wrestling 20 lb bags of cat food into the house in January. I have 15 bags cat food stacked by the back door now because if I put them in the basement the mice will get them. Ditto the garage.
link to original post

But it will not be 7:15 in your house. You just have your clock set wrong.

I just stood overnight in a hotel and noticed their clock was three hours behind. When the clock said it was 9am guess what the checkout front desk told me?

They said it was noon. Get out.

The time doesn't change just because you set your clock wrong
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 13th, 2022 at 2:15:50 PM permalink

Because on December 21st when the Sun goes down at 5:15 p.m. at my house it'll be 7:15 p.m. Call allow me to more hours of daylight to get things done outside.
link to original post

You're not making any sense. You will have the exact same amount of daylight hours regardless of what your clock says. You could set it two hours ahead, two hours behind, or 17 hours either way. There will still be the same amount of daylight. You're overcomplicating things for no reason. Just do the things you have to do while it's light out. Forget the clock.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
October 13th, 2022 at 3:02:15 PM permalink

All bunk in my opinion.
link to original post

This ain't that..
link to original post

its even worse, they get into ESP and all that crap.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 13th, 2022 at 3:14:36 PM permalink

Because on December 21st when the Sun goes down at 5:15 p.m. at my house it'll be 7:15 p.m. Call allow me to more hours of daylight to get things done outside.
link to original post

You're not making any sense. You will have the exact same amount of daylight hours regardless of what your clock says. You could set it two hours ahead, two hours behind, or 17 hours either way. There will still be the same amount of daylight. You're overcomplicating things for no reason. Just do the things you have to do while it's light out. Forget the clock.
link to original post

It makes sense just fine. I don’t know why you all let EB do this to you.

He’s decided for the winter to start waking up at 9am instead of 11am and go to sleep earlier. His method of doing that is to change his clock forward two hours so he feels like he is always just waking up at 11am.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 13th, 2022 at 3:33:35 PM permalink
I don’t like the year ending so early on December 31st, so I celebrate New Year’s Eve on March 31. This way my years are fifteen months long, giving me 25% more time to get things done. I’m not so rushed anymore
It’s all about making that GTA
darkoz
darkoz
October 13th, 2022 at 3:43:09 PM permalink
I get upset there are only 24 hours in a day. So periodically I fly from NY to Los Angeles essentially giving me a 27 hour day.

It's an EB advantage play because on my return trip I wind up with a 22 hour day.

See the trip back is only five hours due to wind direction and Earth rotation.

So see I gain an hour each round trip.

+EV EB style!!!
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
AxelWolfJoeman
October 13th, 2022 at 3:51:35 PM permalink
I take $1000 with me to Vegas, but I write $1500 on the envelope. That gives me an extra $500 to gamble with. Then I sit down at the Roulette table, buy in with my $1500, and bet on 37 to 42 (which is actually 31 to 36). That gives me six extra numbers to beat the house with. Then after I lose all my money, I just write $2000 on the envelope and go home a winner.

That's my +EV EvenBob play. It works 80% of the time, every time.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 13th, 2022 at 3:54:27 PM permalink

I get upset there are only 24 hours in a day. So periodically I fly from NY to Los Angeles essentially giving me a 27 hour day.
link to original post

Are you taking the redeye on November 5/6?
May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 13th, 2022 at 3:59:55 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

He’s decided for the winter to start waking up at 9am instead of 11am and go to sleep earlier. His method of doing that is to change his clock forward two hours so he feels like he is always just waking up at 11am.
link to original post

That isn't what he's saying, though.... he is saying he is getting "extra" daylight by doing this.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 13th, 2022 at 4:12:31 PM permalink

I take $1000 with me to Vegas, but I write $1500 on the envelope.
link to original post

I write $0 on the envelope. No possible way to lose
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 13th, 2022 at 4:13:16 PM permalink

That isn't what he's saying, though.... he is saying he is getting "extra" daylight by doing this.

Changing ones clock does not give extra daylight. The amount of daylight is the same no matter what the clock says. Some of us just wake up earlier or later if we want to be awake for the daylight.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 4:31:39 PM permalink

link to original post

Because on December 21st when the Sun goes down at 5:15 p.m. at my house it'll be 7:15 p.m. Call allow me to more hours of daylight to get things done outside. Lack of daylight in the winter is a major cause of depression, some people actually sit in light boxes in the winter so they get more light. I'm taking a different route and I couldn't be happier about it. I also just bought enough cat food to last till the middle of March because I don't feel like wrestling 20 lb bags of cat food into the house in January. I have 15 bags cat food stacked by the back door now because if I put them in the basement the mice will get them. Ditto the garage.
link to original post

But it will not be 7:15 in your house. You just have your clock set wrong.

I just stood overnight in a hotel and noticed their clock was three hours behind. When the clock said it was 9am guess what the checkout front desk told me?

They said it was noon. Get out.

The time doesn't change just because you set your clock wrong
link to original post

The official time doesn't change but the time at my house changes. Arizona does not go on daylight savings time does that mean Arizona doesn't believe their clocks because the rest of the country is an hour ahead of them? The time where you live is whatever you set it to be. United States did not set the official time zones until 1918. Before that the United States was a mess when it came to time. You could take a train from one city to another city in the same state and be in two different time zones. And go another 40 miles and it would be a different time again. So in 1918 we officially changed to government time zones. All I'm doing is creating my own for my house only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 4:34:53 PM permalink

link to original post

You're not making any sense. You will have the exact same amount of daylight hours regardless of what your clock says.
link to original post

Not at my house because I don't go to bed till 5 a.m. And I get up at 11 a.m. so for me the sun comes up at 11 a.m.. If it goes down at 5 p.m. I only get 6 hours of daylight. It goes down at 7 p.m. at my house I get 8 hours of daylight. This is not rocket science.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 4:40:15 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

In my house it will be 11 a.m. because that's what my clock says. I can't believe some people don't understand this. There is no real time, there's only the time that you say it is. If you agree to a go along with everybody else that's fine that's the time you live on. I choose to live on my own time and there's no difference between me and you. Time has nothing to do with the sun coming up I can set my clock so the sun comes up at 3 a.m. And for me the sun would come up at 3 a.m... The time is only official when you get everybody to agree to it. Like we did in 1918 when the time zones were invented.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 4:47:47 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Changing ones clock does not give extra daylight. The amount of daylight is the same no matter what the clock says. Some of us just wake up earlier or later if we want to be awake for the daylight.
link to original post

I've been getting up around 11 a.m. in the morning for about 35 years so for me the sun comes up at 11 a.m.. I get as many hours of daylight that happen after 11 a.m.. in the summer it's plenty in the winter it sucks. So this year I'm giving myself two extra hours of daylight. Just for me, not for my neighbor, not for you, this is just for me. I will get 8 hours of daylight in January instead of six. And I will be happy as a clam about it. Hugely looking forward to it. I already did it this summer I did not turn my clock ahead to daylight savings time until August because I wanted the sun to go down about 8 p.m. Works like a charm and it's what gave me the idea to do this.
rxwine
rxwine
October 13th, 2022 at 5:04:31 PM permalink
Just get a sundial, orient it correctly, and position it outside your window. You won't need a clock at all.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 5:17:57 PM permalink

Just get a sundial, orient it correctly, and position it outside your window. You won't need a clock at all.
link to original post

Sundial's suck for telling time I had one when I lived in California. Why don't you get one and tell me how it works out
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
AxelWolf
October 13th, 2022 at 5:41:58 PM permalink

link to original post

Sundial's suck for telling time I had one when I lived in California. Why don't you get one and tell me how it works out
link to original post

My trained rooster wakes me up in the morning.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 5:49:37 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

It’s exactly what he’s saying. He gets up at 11am every day by the clock in his house. When he says extra daylight he means daylight hours when he is awake.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 13th, 2022 at 6:45:31 PM permalink

It’s exactly what he’s saying. He gets up at 11am every day by the clock in his house. When he says extra daylight he means daylight hours when he is awake.
link to original post

But he is still getting up at the "same time" every day, daylight-wise... by his own admission the only thing that's changing is the time on the clock. He is still getting up and going to bed based on daylight. And yet he is claiming he is getting "extra" hours somewhere.

As per usual, he is not making any sense.
unJon
unJon
October 13th, 2022 at 6:47:57 PM permalink

link to original post

But he is still getting up at the "same time" every day, daylight-wise... by his own admission the only thing that's changing is the time on the clock. He is still getting up and going to bed based on daylight. And yet he is claiming he is getting "extra" hours somewhere.

link to original post

Wow. You are really letting him get you. That’s 100% not what he said. He will get up at 11am by his clock every day. Obviously if he sets his clock ahead two hours he will be getting up at 9am by everyone else’s clock.

That’s him getting up earlier as the sun rises.

Don’t let your prejudices cloud your judgment.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
TigerWu
October 13th, 2022 at 7:23:53 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Tiger

He is getting two extra hours of daylight because he is tricking his brain to wake up earlier.

Let's examine

EB ALWAYS wakes up at 11 AM per what he SEES on his clock. He is brainwashed to go BY THE CLOCK

Clock is set to normal:. EB wakes up at 11AM on his clock. The outside world time is also 11AM. It's winter and the sun goes down at 5. EB has 6 hours of daylight to enjoy.

So EB sets his own personal clock forward two hours to trick his brainwashed brain. His subconscious is easily tricked apparently.

Now EB wakes up when his brain detects his clock says 11AM. But it's really 9AM in the outside world. So in reality the sun will go down in 8 hours. EB gets two extra hours of sunlight because he really woke up at 9AM instead of 11AM.

He's tricking his brain not changing time.

Of course there is a lot of unanswered stupid questions here. For example how does his brain "see" the clock face in his sleep. Most people do wake up at similar times but there are two factors involved.

Inner: the person goes to sleep at the same time every day so his brain just wakes him after the same hours have passed.

But that can't be the answer because the clock trick wouldn't work. His brain would still have him sleep the same hours regardless of what his clock says.

Outer: Some signal reaches his brain from outside. USUALLY it's a perceptual change in sunlight filtering through windows and can be defeated by closed blinds or wearing a eye mask.

Which again brings us to EB. I don't know any digital clocks and certainly not regular clocks that give out perceptually different light at different times of day. There may be settings for the clock face to dim or brighten HOWEVER that would be EB setting the time and if that wakes him up no different than setting his alarm.

In other words, EB is either purposefully setting his alarm for eleven to wake up and setting it forward two hours so he wakes at nine (when he could simply set his alarm for 9 like the rest of the world)

Or this is just another example of EB junk science and probably not true at all.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
darkoz
October 13th, 2022 at 7:45:44 PM permalink

Tiger

He is getting two extra hours of daylight because he is tricking his brain to wake up earlier...........

(yada yada yada)

link to original post

Once again, you have explained in one post what EB couldn't do in multiple pages....LOL...it's still a dumb and overly complicated idea, though.

You should be his official translator or something. Have him send all his posts to you before they get posted here. It would cut down on a lot of nonsense.
  • Jump to: