Thread Rating:

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
April 25th, 2022 at 12:09:27 PM permalink
Trading halted at $51.63

Trading halt halted.

RT: So @jack pockets $974 million in cash with @elonmusk deal.

Company behind Truth Social has crashed 16% today.

Will twitter become a subscription service behind a paywall?
OnlyTwitter?

TWITTER CEO TO ADDRESS EMPLOYEES AT 2PM PACIFIC TIME
ZH: Biggest corporate mass resignation event on deck
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Apr 25, 2022
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 25th, 2022 at 12:26:33 PM permalink
Huh, guess I was wrong about this... I figured it would never happen. I still think this will only end badly for Twitter.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RogerKint
April 25th, 2022 at 12:27:37 PM permalink
Uh oh. The subset of software engineers that think the workplace is the place for extreme politics are going to jump ship. I wonder what percentage of the quitters drive Tesla vehicles, I’d suspect double digits.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 25th, 2022 at 12:29:45 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Huh, guess I was wrong about this... I figured it would never happen. I still think this will only end badly for Twitter.
link to original post

If things ended well they wouldn’t end.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 25th, 2022 at 1:23:52 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

If things ended well they wouldn’t end.
link to original post

That doesn't make sense....
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 25th, 2022 at 1:56:39 PM permalink
I suspect that Twitter pays well, and has jobs with good content, good working conditions and good benefit packages. I imagine they will have little problem filling any positions that become vacant. Just my guess.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 25th, 2022 at 2:11:07 PM permalink
I don't see why any employee would want to leave. Musk's track record with labor is pretty good and he has made many of his workers rich. I imagine his HR guys have boatloads of resumes from people eager to work with/for him.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
April 25th, 2022 at 2:18:00 PM permalink
Like most tech companies these days, many Twitter employees permanently work from home.

Apparently Musk isn’t a fan of permanently working from home. Gonna find out the hard way that software companies <> car companies.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 25th, 2022 at 2:38:45 PM permalink
ZH RT: *TWITTER CEO SAYS THAT NO LAYOFFS ARE CURRENTLY PLANNED
but
*TWITTER TO IMPOSE HIRING FREEZE FOR NOW, CEO TELLS EMPLOYEES

*SENATOR WARREN RIPS ELON MUSK-TWITTER DEAL AS 'DANGEROUS'

Dogecoin jumps more than 20% after Twitter agrees to Elon Musk's buyout deal
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 25th, 2022 at 2:39:46 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I don't see why any employee would want to leave. Musk's track record with labor is pretty good and he has made many of his workers rich. I imagine his HR guys have boatloads of resumes from people eager to work with/for him.
link to original post

Really?? I mean, I know a lot of tech nerds love him, but I've been hearing for a while now how he treats a lot of his employees like ****.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 25th, 2022 at 2:41:22 PM permalink

link to original post

Really?? I mean, I know a lot of tech nerds love him, but I've been hearing for a while now how he treats a lot of his employees like ****.
link to original post

The sarcasm meter is pinned at broken.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 25th, 2022 at 3:51:15 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

link to original post

link to original post

The sarcasm meter is pinned at broken.
link to original post

He has a lot of fanboys, so you never know who is trying to defend him.
billryan
billryan
April 25th, 2022 at 4:30:59 PM permalink
Don't go by who defends him. Go by who attacks him. Is he an easy guy to work for? That depends if you are driven or if you are just collecting a paycheck, checking off a few boxes, and looking to pad your resume.
If you excel at your job and give 100% 110% of the time, you'll love working for Tesla. If you start checking out at 4:30 every day, you'll hate it. People have been hating on him since Paypal.
All I know is my money guy early on told me to invest in him and I have. He is both an innovator and a disruptor, a combination that is pretty rare, especially in industry. I saw a poll where 27% of twitter workers say they hate him. Let's see how many walk.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 25th, 2022 at 4:33:04 PM permalink
Must be nice to have enough money to try to change the world on a whim.
"What, me worry?"
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Thanked by
camapl
April 25th, 2022 at 4:45:49 PM permalink
Sowing The Seeds Of Tweets - Tears For Fears
Everybody Wants To Tweet The World - Tears For Fears
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
April 25th, 2022 at 5:10:02 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Must be nice to have enough money to try to change the world on a whim.
link to original post

You do have to admire his style. He got exactly what he wanted at exactly the price he was willing to pay and he didn't even break a sweat. He even threw in a pot joke for manures and giggles. Funny guy.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
April 25th, 2022 at 5:34:21 PM permalink
This will probably be good for Twitter (in terms of value). They are going to get a lot of views by controversy and endless media coverage (which leads to even more views and more clicks). At least in the short term, how it play out long term, who knows.... But, it will probably push it upwards for now. It will probably be good for Dogecoin as well. For users and employees, who knows (time will tell).... For investors, probably good.
billryan
billryan
April 25th, 2022 at 5:42:18 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

This will probably be good for Twitter (in terms of value). They are going to get a lot of views by controversy and endless media coverage (which leads to even more views and more clicks). At least in the short term, how it play out long term, who knows.... But, it will probably push it upwards for now. It will probably be good for Dogecoin as well. For users and employees, who knows (time will tell).... For investors, probably good.
link to original post

He is taking it private. The investors get paid and are out.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
April 25th, 2022 at 5:48:04 PM permalink

Quote: Gandler

link to original post

He is taking it private. The investors get paid and are out.
link to original post

That is what he said (has not happened yet), we will see. Either way good for the price (either he buys at a premium or does not and it continues to rise). He is good at doing things to drive up the price, I would not put past him public musings about making a company private (only to then sell). Pretty much nothing he can do that is bad for the trajectory.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
April 25th, 2022 at 6:36:07 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

There always going to be disgruntled workers when you employ that many. I did admire his recent interview where he admitted his hiring principles have adapted. He wants people with a good heart over the jerk wad who might know more, be better educated and have better business instincts. He thinks the latter, while they can benefit a company, ultimately are a cancer that needs to be expunged.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
camaplRogerKint
April 26th, 2022 at 8:19:54 AM permalink
The big conspiracy theory is that Elon is buying Twitter just to delete it... lol...

Well, we can dream, can't we? Maybe we'll get lucky and he does the same with Facebook, too...
Mukke
Mukke
  • Threads: 9
April 26th, 2022 at 9:01:25 AM permalink
As much as I fear his convictions will mean letting anyone (*cough* Trump *cough) have their free speech, I'm actually curious to see what he will do about bots.

If anyone can do it, he might be the guy, to finally put money and AI to good use and FIX the problem with bots and echo chamber algorithms.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 26th, 2022 at 10:04:39 AM permalink
Twitter safety has been useless & hollow for years, Musk can't fix that. I think he deletes the app, or gets it deleted from the app stores through outrage (ask Russia).
Mukke
Mukke
  • Threads: 9
April 26th, 2022 at 10:40:22 AM permalink
The idea that Musk will delete Twitter is insane to me. He enjoys that platform as much as anyone, and appear to strongly believe in "free speech" for everyone.

There is no way he will try to kill it intentionally, and while he might stir up some controversy and get it blocked temporarily in app stores, he's not stupid enough to accidently kill Twitter and lose all of his investment and ideological beliefs around it.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Thanked by
ChumpChange
April 26th, 2022 at 11:11:25 AM permalink
Quote: Mukke

As much as I fear his convictions will mean letting anyone (*cough* Trump *cough) have their free speech, I'm actually curious to see what he will do about bots.

If anyone can do it, he might be the guy, to finally put money and AI to good use and FIX the problem with bots and echo chamber algorithms.
link to original post

There's actually weird things going on today. Some big name users are reporting that they are suddenly losing thousands of followers. The speculation is that people are pulling their bots before Musk begins a purge of fake accounts.

Other famous users, however, seem to suddenly be gaining thousands of followers. So, maybe there was a mini purge overnight or perhaps someone is adjusting the programming. Of course, the numbers could simply reflect an immediate exodus of newly disgruntled users along with the returning arrival of formerly disgruntled users.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 26th, 2022 at 11:12:23 AM permalink
Although I agree he won't kill Twitter, money is meaningless to guys like Elon. When you get to that level, it's all about power. Deleting one of the most popular websites/apps in the world for no reason would be a huge power move. And kind of funny. And seems exactly like something Elon Musk would do. But again, I seriously doubt it will happen (unfortunately).
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
April 26th, 2022 at 12:28:35 PM permalink
It's a sad day for censorship.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 26th, 2022 at 12:47:20 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

It's a sad day for censorship.
link to original post

You mean a good day? Now one man controls an entire media outlet and is taking it private.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 26th, 2022 at 12:52:23 PM permalink
Just saw a tweet by Elon Musk that he'd buy Facebook just to delete it.
Gundy
Gundy
April 26th, 2022 at 1:01:22 PM permalink

Just saw a tweet by Elon Musk that he'd buy Facebook just to delete it.
link to original post

He could pay Facebook users to delete their accounts. Throw a fin at everyone willing to do it. That would destroy FB and save Elon lots of cash.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 26th, 2022 at 1:17:27 PM permalink
LOL - Musk's Twitter Purchase Fails After 138,000 Board Votes Found Overnight | The Babylon Bee https://babylonbee.com/news/musks-twitter-purchase-fails-after-138000-board-votes-found-overnight
Mary0393
Mary0393
April 27th, 2022 at 6:23:15 AM permalink
If it stayed the same, then why did he buy it?

It’s not like the news paper business is exactly the most profitable ndustry since basically the dot com boom.

Sure, they have a website where they now charge subscription fees, but it’s no Amazon.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 27th, 2022 at 6:42:07 AM permalink
It looks like there's early indications that tens of thousands of accounts are unfollowing MOR celebrities and even more tens of thousands of accounts newly following far-right celebrities in the last day. It looks like an exodus from twitter while the Nazis march in.

Elon Musk Is A HUGE Fan Of Cancel Culture - TYT - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3jfqbI3SI

Ben Shapiro Wants Elon Musk To Fire ALL Twitter Workers - TYT - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1n7hLVekCk

Okay. Just to mention that you have options: lots are going to http://Counter.Social to avoid Musk / Twitter Parlor.

SCOOP:
Some Twitter users noticed massive follower drop-offs yesterday.
Twitter just confirmed to @NBCNews that this activity was organic, not automated.
In short: The same day Elon Musk bought Twitter, a lot of people deactivated their accounts.

Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover: the experts’ verdict on what lies ahead | Elon Musk | The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/27/elon-musks-twitter-takeover-the-experts-verdict-on-what-lies-ahead?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

People are leaving YouTube for Odysee
Elon Musk Unsuspended My Twitter Account
https://odysee.com/@Drunk3po:d/elon-musk-unsuspended-my-twitter-account:d

Judge rejects Elon Musk's bid to throw out settlement over 2018 tweets - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism
https://www.rawstory.com/elon-musk-2018-sec-settlement/

BREAKING: Leaked Audio of @Twitter All-Hands Reveals Employees Press Leadership Over What “Free Speech Means”, A Plan for “Mass Exodus” Due to @ElonMusk
“Questionable Ethics”, & Questioning if President Trump Will Return to The Platform
#TwitterAllHands
https://twitter.com/laralogan/status/1519138401575874560

RT: Everyone in the moderation, safety and health divisions of twitter please rise. Your jobs have been terminated - thank you. All legal counsel - terminated.
Anyone who thinks policies involving moderation are important - your jobs are terminated.
No way around it.

"Project Veritas just leaked the full 45 minute audio from Twitter’s all hands meeting: https://t.co/ZRQ4DXQLqO" / Twitter https://twitter.com/getongab/status/1519137545992519682

Twitter Accused Of Conspiracy As Conservatives Mysteriously Start Gaining THOUSANDS Of Followers - TimCast - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KKVneoJck
"My phone number was banned from creating an account until yesterday"
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Apr 27, 2022
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 27th, 2022 at 6:53:12 AM permalink
Quote: Mary0393

If it stayed the same, then why did he buy it?

It’s not like the news paper business is exactly the most profitable ndustry since basically the dot com boom.

Sure, they have a website where they now charge subscription fees, but it’s no Amazon.
link to original post

Uh oh….welcome to the forum…
mtcards
mtcards
  • Threads: 18
Thanked by
AxelWolf
April 27th, 2022 at 2:38:53 PM permalink
After all is said and done, Twitter will be the same as it always has been. A place for people to come and complain about other people, the only difference is that both sides will be heard complaining.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 28th, 2022 at 2:40:50 AM permalink
Elon Musk Gets Slapped In The Face By Stock Plunge - The Damage Report - 724K subscribers - YouTube
Tesla Stock loses $128 billion! Could affect financing for twitter acquisition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhaiCDMzcXs

tesla stock | bankruptcy incoming | the truth - Meet Kevin - 1.81M subscribers - YouTube
Tesla falls to below $840/share, from over $1,000/share a couple days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb0-3-59du4
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Apr 28, 2022
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 29th, 2022 at 8:40:49 AM permalink
Quote: mtcards

After all is said and done, Twitter will be the same as it always has been. A place for people to come and complain about other people, the only difference is that both sides will be heard complaining.
link to original post

"Both sides" of what?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 29th, 2022 at 8:51:58 AM permalink
I'm still waiting for my phone number to be miraculously unbanned from twitter.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
April 29th, 2022 at 10:02:09 AM permalink

It looks like there's early indications that tens of thousands of accounts are unfollowing MOR celebrities and even more tens of thousands of accounts newly following far-right celebrities in the last day. It looks like an exodus from twitter while the Nazis march in.
[snip]

link to original post

WARNING: The use of the term 'Nazis' to characterize people with different opinions than you is "controversial speech." And indeed this entire thread is in jeopardy of being shut down due to political speech. This is my last warning. Stay far away from expressing any political viewpoints. (And I won't be surprised if another moderator thinks that a warning is not sufficient in this instance and takes immediate further action.)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 29th, 2022 at 10:19:08 AM permalink
It's really annoying when you can't quote news articles about their subject matter because they bot-stopped the same word in the comment sections.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 29th, 2022 at 10:53:02 AM permalink

It's really annoying when you can't quote news articles about their subject matter because they bot-stopped the same word in the comment sections.
link to original post

Comment sections shouldn't even be allowed on news articles, period.
billryan
billryan
April 29th, 2022 at 10:57:42 AM permalink
It's quite a business model. Alienate enough of your potential market until someone realizes the untapped potential and buys you out for an insane profit. Too bad it isn't scalable.
I'm betting the early investors are laughing themselves silly right now.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 29th, 2022 at 11:02:33 AM permalink

link to original post

Comment sections shouldn't even be allowed on news articles, period.
link to original post

I'm noticing a few news websites that have turned off comments recently. Of course now the news org won't know their audience anymore, but did they ever?
Twitter could just ban all news outlets from the site, all corporate outlets from the site, all business stores from the site, and individuals can go on tweeting about the birds in the sky.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
April 29th, 2022 at 12:04:38 PM permalink
Can anyone describe what the spambot situation has been on Twitter?

Musk talks about authenticating humans - obviously as a shield against bots. What does "authenticating humans" mean?
billryan
billryan
April 29th, 2022 at 1:05:35 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Can anyone describe what the spambot situation has been on Twitter?

Musk talks about authenticating humans - obviously as a shield against bots. What does "authenticating humans" mean?
link to original post

On another site, they were saying you would need to be verified to post, with speculation that you'd have to register similar to ebay or Paypal. I don't use twitter but this is looking to be a big mess.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
April 29th, 2022 at 2:06:58 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

link to original post

link to original post

There always going to be disgruntled workers when you employ that many. I did admire his recent interview where he admitted his hiring principles have adapted. He wants people with a good heart over the jerk wad who might know more, be better educated and have better business instincts. He thinks the latter, while they can benefit a company, ultimately are a cancer that needs to be expunged.
link to original post

I've read that the Twitter compensation package is about 50% salary and 50% stock (either options or out-right grants). I have not seen any formal studies but if that's the case then based on what I hear from colleagues I would say that's at the high end. As comparison, a couple of family members have just taken jobs at Google and the stock grants are ~25% of the annual salary. If Musk takes the company private then he is either going to have to re-negotiate everyone's compensation or face a mass exodus.

Also, just to keep it all in perspective, while Musk and Twitter get a lot of press, as far as the tech community goes, Twitter is a very small and insignificant company. Total employment is ~ 7,500. Facebook/Meta is 75k, while Google and Apple are both ~ 150k employees. In fact in the last 3 months Google hired 7500 new staff and plan on adding another 12-15K by year's end. Any Twitter employee looking to jump ship wont have too much trouble. Finding replacements may not be as easy.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
teliot
April 29th, 2022 at 2:11:47 PM permalink
I’m kind of skeptical that this sale will even close. This whole thing feels like one big publicity stunt by Musk. Just another billionaire who loves to see his name everywhere.
ams288
ams288
May 13th, 2022 at 4:29:42 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I’m kind of skeptical that this sale will even close. This whole thing feels like one big publicity stunt by Musk. Just another billionaire who loves to see his name everywhere.
link to original post

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/elon-musk-tweets-that-deal-for-twitter-is-on-hold.amp

Quote: @elonmusk

Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 13th, 2022 at 1:00:18 PM permalink
Twitter could double-up and sue Musk for $44 billion for walking away, and they should.
Gialmere
Gialmere
May 13th, 2022 at 4:52:25 PM permalink
All I can say is Twitter better pray that this audit of how many bots and fake accounts make up its userbase is within a reasonable few percent of the 5% they've been declaring. If the truth turns out to be some godawful number like 20% or 30% or 40% then the latest Musk maneuvers will be the least of their problems. They'll drown in a deluge of lawsuits from shareholders and advertisers. Should such a nightmare scenario play out then Musk could probably buy what's left of the company for a case of beer and some postage stamps.
  • Jump to: