vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
May 5th, 2021 at 7:55:25 PM permalink
Washington Capitals VS New York Rangers turned into fight night. This was a carryover from the previous game when Tom Wilson was punching a player in the back of the head while he was on the ice. Old time hockey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ364V_vWN4
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
May 6th, 2021 at 12:12:35 PM permalink
How Wilson got away without a suspension is beyond me.

Might just be what you get when the head of Player Safety is a former enforcer.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
May 6th, 2021 at 12:23:51 PM permalink
Dont watch Hockey

Once, an employee punched another one in the back of the head without warning. Manager must have known him bc he was transferred to another location while i was the supervisor of the other locations. I wasnt told his history. I showed up to see him standing in the way of others catatonic like. My friends happen to witness this and told me not to talk to him. At closing time, he returned from catatonic and kept asking for his schedule. I told him that I’d text him. After he left, I took him permanently off. 2 weeks later, he was on the news for randomly stabbing someone inside a gas station with a kitchen knife. He was in his 20’s maybe 18. Threw part of his life away.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on May 6, 2021
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 6th, 2021 at 1:00:24 PM permalink
Should the NHL join the rest of the world in mandating a game disqualification for fighting?

The version I heard for the reason the NHL does not is, the players' union thinks it would result in more teams attempting to injure the opponents' star players without too much fear of retaliation.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 6th, 2021 at 1:14:43 PM permalink
The Rangers fired their President and General Manager before their game yesterday. Very strange timing.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
May 6th, 2021 at 3:45:59 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Should the NHL join the rest of the world in mandating a game disqualification for fighting?

The version I heard for the reason the NHL does not is, the players' union thinks it would result in more teams attempting to injure the opponents' star players without too much fear of retaliation.

It is actually rare to see a fight in hockey anymore. Lots of face wash stuff but not many real fights. This was an exception as it was payback and sticking up for a team mate.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 6th, 2021 at 4:58:15 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

It is actually rare to see a fight in hockey anymore. Lots of face wash stuff but not many real fights. This was an exception as it was payback and sticking up for a team mate.

I think one reason is, a few years ago, they added a rule where the team of the player that starts the fight gets an additional minor penalty for "instigating." Normally, the two fighters each get five minutes, but both teams play at full strength.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 7th, 2021 at 4:51:48 AM permalink
Lots and lots of people criticize the fighting in hockey, lukewarm fans generally, but maybe lukewarm for this reason. To some degree I have defended the tradition in hockey. For one thing, I like traditions. I also say you have to think about what's going on. The players are out there with clubs in their hands essentially, and they use these sticks on each other. A player can whack another player and if it comes close to the definition of 'trying to get the puck' then it gets a pass. If a player gets slowed down, it's hooking. If the stick hits the hands or breaks the other stick, it's slashing. If these things don't happen, chances are excellent there'll be no penalty. High-sticking can be an accident, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it's due to unacceptable sloppiness too, and that needs addressing. Furthermore you have the boards and the puck itself, huge potential for injury and can be weapons for the players on each other. A player gets a constant chance to deliver legal hits in football for revenge, but the hits in hockey are not felt to even things up. The fans like the fighting and more important, the players like it and want it. This last fact counts.

When they fight the sticks are dropped and it's one guy protecting his interests against another who maybe wasn't paying enough attention. The players are on skates and it is really hard to inflict heavy punishment, most fights just end when they get exhausted.

I do, however, want it to largely be spontaneous. I think what happened this time was pretty disgusting. The fans should not be subjected to endless fighting, or any who really want that aren't really into hockey but something else. I quit watching this game once the fighting just kept going on.

I once was watching a Bruins/Canadians game where as soon as the puck was dropped, all the players launched themselves at each other, fighting. This last incident was similar, but not everybody participated like that. I still find it disgusting to have that level of pre-planning. I don't like to see it but looks like it will never get eliminated.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
May 7th, 2021 at 7:05:50 AM permalink
Seeing how just about every other league in hockey has eliminated fighting, I'd say your response is pretty much nonsense.
Suspend players without pay for fighting and it would stop yesterday. What happened in the Rangers game was a disgrace. Every one of those players should be facing a weeks suspension.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 7th, 2021 at 7:28:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Seeing how just about every other league in hockey has eliminated fighting, I'd say your response is pretty much nonsense.
Suspend players without pay for fighting and it would stop yesterday. What happened in the Rangers game was a disgrace. Every one of those players should be facing a weeks suspension.

We may be closer than you think, immediate no-fault ejection for both, I'd be oK with, unless one is clearly only defending himself reluctantly. There's too much fighting in the NHL. But I stand by my contention that it makes sense in a way and is not such a big deal as we can easily find ourselves getting worked up about. Except like that last game, ugh.

Quote: wikipedia page

Those who defend fighting in hockey say that it helps deter other types of rough play, allows teams to protect their star players, and creates a sense of solidarity among teammates

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 7th, 2021 at 8:40:51 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Lots and lots of people criticize the fighting in hockey, lukewarm fans generally, but maybe lukewarm for this reason. To some degree I have defended the tradition in hockey. For one thing, I like traditions. I also say you have to think about what's going on. The players are out there with clubs in their hands essentially, and they use these sticks on each other. A player can whack another player and if it comes close to the definition of 'trying to get the puck' then it gets a pass. If a player gets slowed down, it's hooking. If the stick hits the hands or breaks the other stick, it's slashing. If these things don't happen, chances are excellent there'll be no penalty. High-sticking can be an accident, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it's due to unacceptable sloppiness too, and that needs addressing. Furthermore you have the boards and the puck itself, huge potential for injury and can be weapons for the players on each other. A player gets a constant chance to deliver legal hits in football for revenge, but the hits in hockey are not felt to even things up. The fans like the fighting and more important, the players like it and want it. This last fact counts.

When they fight the sticks are dropped and it's one guy protecting his interests against another who maybe wasn't paying enough attention. The players are on skates and it is really hard to inflict heavy punishment, most fights just end when they get exhausted.

I do, however, want it to largely be spontaneous. I think what happened this time was pretty disgusting. The fans should not be subjected to endless fighting, or any who really want that aren't really into hockey but something else. I quit watching this game once the fighting just kept going on.

I once was watching a Bruins/Canadians game where as soon as the puck was dropped, all the players launched themselves at each other, fighting. This last incident was similar, but not everybody participated like that. I still find it disgusting to have that level of pre-planning. I don't like to see it but looks like it will never get eliminated.

This is confusing and conflicting reasoning. It should be allowed so players can defend themselves in a way it’s difficult to otherwise is one reason, but the other (conflicting) reason is that they don’t really do much fighting anyways they just hold each other up until they get tired?
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
odiousgambit
May 7th, 2021 at 10:50:48 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

We may be closer than you think, immediate no-fault ejection for both, I'd be oK with, unless one is clearly only defending himself reluctantly. There's too much fighting in the NHL. But I stand by my contention that it makes sense in a way and is not such a big deal as we can easily find ourselves getting worked up about. Except like that last game, ugh.

That sounds an awful lot like the defenses people pull when trying to defend fraternity hazing.
When I joined my fraternity in 1976, we had to do all sorts of crazy stuff, and we were constantly reminded that this would build a bond upon us for enduring it together. NY State banned most hazing some fifteen years later and what pledges go thru today is a walk in the sun compared to what we did, yet the younger brothers are just as tight and our fraternity is just as strong as it ever was.
If I want to see a hockey fight, there are hundreds of hours of them on youtube. Watching Clark Gilles trash Dave Schultz was a turning point in NY Islander history but it's time to move on.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 7th, 2021 at 10:54:12 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

This is confusing and conflicting reasoning. It should be allowed so players can defend themselves in a way it’s difficult to otherwise is one reason, but the other (conflicting) reason is that they don’t really do much fighting anyways they just hold each other up until they get tired?

They swing away and try to get the other player's equipment partly off to make them even more clumsy and exposed. Being on skates, the blows themselves are hard to deliver effectively.

But I think your point is more to the claim* that they don't do as much damage to each other as might be suspected, so why fight ineffectively? Because there usually is a winner and a loser, and let's say someone who was careless around the other team's goalie might be assuming there are no consequences. Losing a fight might teach him that there are. If he wins it he still thinks twice before abusing the next goalie.

BTW color guy Craig Laughlin said recently one team he played for had them take boxing lessons from Sugar Ray Leonard. He said the fighting in hockey is so different that the lessons were completely useless.

*there's no point in me saying it's anymore than the opinion of an ordinary fan
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 7th, 2021 at 11:14:21 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Watching Clark Gilles trash Dave Schultz was a turning point in NY Islander history but it's time to move on.

Thread hijack. I was big Islander fan during their heyday. First Cup year I went to every home game. Crazy friend was willing to sleep outside the Colliseum to get tickets.

Moved to Buffalo 1990. In 1991 went looking to buy a house. During the tour of this beautifully appointed house, we go into one of the bedrooms which was nothing but Islanders memorabilia celebrating Clark Gillies career. The rest of the house had not a single hickey related thing. He apparently finished his NHL career with the Sabres.

You mention his fight. He was a good fighter, but also a solid winger as well. Playing with Bossy and Trottier helped.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
Joeman
May 7th, 2021 at 8:58:26 PM permalink
Put an AHL washout on the ice, slew foot Connor McDavid in the opening game of the playoffs. Mr. Nobody gets suspended, and the Oilers lose in the first round.

If Player Safety had properly suspended Wilson for his body slamming Panarin, this wouldn't have happened.

Instead, Panarin is out for the year and you get a line brawl because George Parros didn't do his job. You want a fine? It cost the Rangers a quarter mil for calling out Player Safety.
billryan
billryan
May 7th, 2021 at 10:46:24 PM permalink
It cost them more than that. It's looking more and more like the owner fired both the President and the General Manager for not having anyone on the roster capable of standing up to Wilson.
The Rangers were rebuilding and making steps in the right direction under John Davidson but the owner evidently threw a hissy fit and wanted heads to roll.
billryan
billryan
May 7th, 2021 at 10:51:15 PM permalink
It cost them more than that. It's looking more and more like the owner fired both the President and the General Manager for not having anyone on the roster capable of standing up to Wilson.
The Rangers were rebuilding and making steps in the right direction under John Davidson but the owner evidently threw a hissy fit and wanted heads to roll.
Jimmy Dolan has messed with the Knicks for years and run what was once one of the league's top franchises into the gutter.
Until now he's been pretty hands-off the Rangers.
  • Jump to: