4 votes (30.76%)
4 votes (30.76%)
1 vote (7.69%)

13 members have voted

USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 19th, 2020 at 11:41:49 PM permalink
I need help guys & I came up with a method for getting help by also offering something in return. So Mr. Wizard did something that I hadn't thought about doing before, he got an IQ test. So I did some research & it apparent if you score ≥ 145 on an IQ exam you have a very good chance of getting selected for the MacArthur grant. I believe I meet all of their requirements & my research is definitely MacArthur appropriate. I also don't work with any members of my community or any community for that matter, so no problems lol. But seriously I think I should be able to qualify for the grant with a high enough IQ score. Anyone here willing to wager on me getting a ≥ 145 IQ score? How about you pay for the IQ test (since money is always tight) & If I am as to achieve the desired score then I will pay you 3x the amount of the IQ test (even if I don't get the MacArthur grant) & I'd be willing to sign a contract stating this? Any takers? It's easy money if you truly believe in my intellect ;)

https://www.macfound.org/fellows-faq/
Math is the only true form of knowledge
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 20th, 2020 at 5:41:49 AM permalink
When I tested for Mensa, the cost of the test was $300.

Just a reminder that any wagers made between members are at their own risk and forum management does not vouch for anybody.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 20th, 2020 at 6:47:18 AM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

I need help guys & I came up with a method for getting help by also offering something in return. So Mr. Wizard did something that I hadn't thought about doing before, he got an IQ test. So I did some research & it apparent if you score ≥ 145 on an IQ exam you have a very good chance of getting selected for the MacArthur grant. I believe I meet all of their requirements & my research is definitely MacArthur appropriate. I also don't work with any members of my community or any community for that matter, so no problems lol. But seriously I think I should be able to qualify for the grant with a high enough IQ score. Anyone here willing to wager on me getting a ≥ 145 IQ score? How about you pay for the IQ test (since money is always tight) & If I am as to achieve the desired score then I will pay you 3x the amount of the IQ test (even if I don't get the MacArthur grant) & I'd be willing to sign a contract stating this? Any takers? It's easy money if you truly believe in my intellect ;)

If money is tight how does it get 3 times looser after you take the test?

But if you do take it, I'd make the betting odds even money that you get that 145 or higher. Wizard mentioned that it costs $300 to take this test. As you know my older son just got his PhD, and his mother and I want to figure out a present for him.... Maybe this test?

If you would escrow money with the Wiz I'd give you 2-1 odds his score would be higher than yours?
WTflush
WTflush
  • Threads: 1
December 20th, 2020 at 6:51:22 AM permalink
Can i get odds if I bet on a score above 130 but below 145?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 20th, 2020 at 7:13:29 AM permalink
Quote: WTflush

Well.... my odds would be really a vague guess.... I don't 'know' USpaper other than his recent posts here on WoV.... I'd say 2-1 would be fair.... but since I have so little to work on I would not bet any 'real money' on it. Like I'd limit my losses to $20 or something in the 'friendly wager' amount.

If you were referring to my son you can get 2-1!

Edit.... I was unaware there are many different tests.... and some are skewed higher than others. So this bet would be more complicated than I thought.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
December 20th, 2020 at 7:27:31 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Well.... my odds would be really a vague guess.... I don't 'know' USpaper other than his recent posts here on WoV.... I'd say 2-1 would be fair.... but since I have so little to work on I would not bet any 'real money' on it. Like I'd limit my losses to $20 or something in the 'friendly wager' amount.

Since different tests skew different ways, an easy way to bet this would be what percentile the score lands in for a given test.

145 is like the 99.99 percentile on most IQ tests

I would bet $500 his IQ is lower than 145 if I thought the bet had any chance of paying out. And $500 is a lot of money to me.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
Mental
December 20th, 2020 at 8:35:58 AM permalink

Since, unbelievably, nobody corrected this, I will make a guest post. There are (pardon the precision) a gazillion people with IQs over 145. There are very few MacArthur grants.

Most of the kids in gifted classes have IQs over 140. A good chunk of people with doctorates have IQs over 145.

MacArthur grants are looking for people with records of human service or unique and valuable research. A "genius" IQ is a secondary, not terribly rare, and not terribly important criteria.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
WTflush
WTflush
December 20th, 2020 at 9:39:25 AM permalink

If you were referring to my son you can get 2-1!

Edit.... I was unaware there are many different tests.... and some are skewed higher than others. So this bet would be more complicated than I thought.

Oh I was talking about USpaper not your son. He doesn't have any post history for me to look at! lol Obviously I don't know anything about USpaper other than his posts.

If you want to lay 2:1 I'd take it for both paper and your son landing between 130-145 if we can agree on which test to take and a fair way for them to take the test and post results without any shenanigans. I'll send you the $ up front since you have a much longer history around here than me and I don't think youre out to scam anyone. I don't know how we could actually compel either of them to take the test for penny stakes though hahahah.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 9:53:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

When I tested for Mensa, the cost of the test was $300.

Just a reminder that any wagers made between members are at their own risk and forum management does not vouch for anybody.

Thank you, this was very helpful. Btw I promise I won't ruin my reputation by not upholding my promise to pay back 3x the wager.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:11:40 AM permalink

If money is tight how does it get 3 times looser after you take the test?

But if you do take it, I'd make the betting odds even money that you get that 145 or higher. Wizard mentioned that it costs $300 to take this test. As you know my older son just got his PhD, and his mother and I want to figure out a present for him.... Maybe this test?

If you would escrow money with the Wiz I'd give you 2-1 odds his score would be higher than yours?

Let me make sure I have your comment understood correctly. So you're saying that you would take an even money bet that I would achieve ≥ 145 even though I'm offering 2 to 1 odds? But then you say that you believe your son can achieve a higher score than me so obviously, you believe your son is quite farther in IQ points than 145. I don't know what to think of your challenge, a part of me wants to accept because I don't know anyone as confident as you are that you will succeed. But a part of me doesn't want to take the challenge since you know a lot more about my intellect capabilities than I know about your son's. I can respect people being smarter than me but I won't accept myself getting outsmarted due to overconfidence. I think it's in my best interest to decline until I know more about your son. Congrats on finishing his Ph.D. program. Those can be some tough times from what understand. Plenty of intelligent people who would never be able to complete such demanding workloads. I can't even publish my own research & that's a requirement at the Ph.D. level. So just know your son is more than just a smart guy but also someone that handles the pressures of a cut throat environment. We both know that competition is extremely fierce& not everyone can handle that.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:16:08 AM permalink

I don't think it's in my best interest to accept that offer since my incentive to not get a score above 145 could exceed my incentive to get a scorer at or beyond 145. Maybe you can get those odds with someone else but it doesn't make sense for me to take that bet.
WTflush
WTflush
December 20th, 2020 at 10:22:13 AM permalink

I don't think it's in my best interest to accept that offer since my incentive to not get a score above 145 could exceed my incentive to get a scorer at or beyond 145. Maybe you can get those odds with someone else but it doesn't make sense for me to take that bet.

Uhm what?! If anything it would incentivize you to purposely score below 130.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:22:28 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Since different tests skew different ways, an easy way to bet this would be what percentile the score lands in for a given test.

145 is like the 99.99 percentile on most IQ tests

I would bet $500 his IQ is lower than 145 if I thought the bet had any chance of paying out. And $500 is a lot of money to me.

In statistics we call a tier 5 any outcome that falls between a standard deviation of 3 & 4. The empirical rule states that 99.7% of a population with a standard bell curve fall within the 1st 3 deviations. So then you divide .3% into 2 to represent the extremely unintelligent & superintendent. But if you want the real population percentage you need to find your countries average IQ score and then use that figure instead of the actual figure. I'm making an estimate but if say it's probably close to 1 in 1,000 can achieve that score. Now it terms of the different ways the tests are skewed, I'm not sure how much of a choice I have in which tests MacArthur will vouch for. I probably should have done this research before offer the gamble :/
Last edited by: USpapergames on Dec 20, 2020
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:29:42 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

Since, unbelievably, nobody corrected this, I will make a guest post. There are (pardon the precision) a gazillion people with IQs over 145. There are very few MacArthur grants.

Most of the kids in gifted classes have IQs over 140. A good chunk of people with doctorates have IQs over 145.

MacArthur grants are looking for people with records of human service or unique and valuable research. A "genius" IQ is a secondary, not terribly rare, and not terribly important criteria.

1st of all it's the biggest lie in the world that there are many people with 145 or greater IQ scores. A simple lesson in standard deviations from a bell curve will clarify this misconception for you. I have personally seen people swear to me that their IQ score was 165! I literally told that person directly to their face that they were full of shat. I'd almost be willing to bet you don't know 1 person with an IQ score of 145 of above!!!

That being said, my research isn't published so it's going to be extremely difficult to get a MacArthur grant without an IQ test.
WTflush
WTflush
December 20th, 2020 at 10:30:56 AM permalink

I think your forest about the likelihood of the average person who takes the test would have a .01% of getting a 145 or better. That's basically saying 1 in 10,000 can achieve that score. Now it terms of the different ways the tests are skewed, I'm not sure how much of a choice I have in which tests MacArthur will vouch for. I probably should have done this research before offer the gamble :/

Have you ever taken a real IQ test in person with a psychologist or professor? Do you think you can score 141 or above on the CFIT test?
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:32:48 AM permalink

lol, now why would I want to miss out on making money & lose my chance at getting the MacArthur grant?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 20th, 2020 at 10:35:16 AM permalink

1st of all it's the biggest lie in the world that there are many people with 145 or greater IQ scores. A simple lesson in standard deviations from a bell curve will clarify this misconception for you. I have personally seen people swear to me that their IQ score was 165! I literally told that person directly to their face that they were full of shat. I'd almost be willing to bet you don't know 1 person with an IQ score of 145 of above!!!

That being said, my research isn't published so it's going to be extremely difficult to get a MacArthur grant without an IQ test.

Assuming world mean IQ is 100 and 15 pts standard deviation, there would be 0.15% at or above 145. With a world population of 7.8 billion that’s 11.7 million people.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:37:14 AM permalink

Have you ever taken a real IQ test in person with a psychologist or professor? Do you think you can score 141 or above on the CFIT test?

No, I haven't I swear. I'm I had I wouldn't be asking to take the test, plus all previous test scores are documented, right? If you want I'll request proof that I've never conducted an IQ test prior to taking the challenge. Also, I don't even know what the CFIT test is.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:41:06 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Assuming world mean IQ is 100 and 15 pts standard deviation, there would be 0.15% at or above 145. With a world population of 7.8 billion that’s 11.7 million people.

Yep, that sounds about right. Let's not forget that the score of 100 is the mean average of human intelligence. The US has an average population IQ of significantly lower than 100 making your odds of finding someone with ≥ 145 even that more rare.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:41:20 AM permalink

Yep, that sounds about right. Let's not forget that the score of 100 is the mean average of human intelligence. The US has an average population IQ of significantly lower than 100 making your odds of finding someone with ≥ 145 even that more rare.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:41:39 AM permalink

Yep, that sounds right but there is something you forgot to factor in. Let's not forget that the score of 100 is the mean average of human intelligence. The US has an average population IQ of significantly lower than 100 making your odds of finding someone with ≥ 145 even that more rare.
WTflush
WTflush
December 20th, 2020 at 10:43:28 AM permalink

lol, now why would I want to miss out on making money & lose my chance at getting the MacArthur grant?

Jeezus maybe I was wrong thinking you'd score over 130.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:46:30 AM permalink

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the bet?
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 10:48:09 AM permalink

Jeezus maybe I was wrong thinking you'd score over 130.

Am I misunderstanding something? Also because of my disability I should be able to get extra time on the test so the test questions are fully understood.
WTflush
WTflush
December 20th, 2020 at 11:05:55 AM permalink

Am I misunderstanding something? Also because of my disability I should be able to get extra time on the test so the test questions are fully understood.

I was willing to bet you would test above 130, but below 145. These numbers were specifically chosen because your poll put 131-145+ as one answer, when in reality 131 and 145 are not even remotely in the same realm. Considering the expected range of results is somewhere between 100 and 160 and I was picking only 25% of that range I was hoping to get some odds as I know practically nothing about you or how intelligent you are. This would clearly offer you some incentive to score below 130, or above 145. Obviously you want to score as high as possible because you are pursuing a McArthur grant, but considering that is an extreme longshot, it would be in your best interest to miss every question and score below 130.

Hopefully that explains it,
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 11:17:31 AM permalink

I was willing to bet you would test above 130, but below 145. These numbers were specifically chosen because your poll put 131-145+ as one answer, when in reality 131 and 145 are not even remotely in the same realm. Considering the expected range of results is somewhere between 100 and 160 and I was picking only 25% of that range I was hoping to get some odds as I know practically nothing about you or how intelligent you are. This would clearly offer you( some incentive to score below 130, or above 145. Obviously you want to score as high as possible because you are pursuing a McArthur grant, but considering that is an extreme longshot, it would be in your best interest to miss every question and score below 130.

Hopefully that explains it,

I think when we start talking about IQ scores around 160 I just have a hard time taking it seriously. Anything close to 5 standard deviations is really just a fluke & I'm not sure if many of the IQ scores can accurately test participants at those high levels which is why you can find examples of people hitting IQ scores above 200 (which to me is obvious the test failed). Also, there is a huge problem with people studying to pass the tests. These tests are designed in such a way that participants aren't supposed to be able to study for these test but I think there is ample evidence to support that this is just not the case.

Also, I did misunderstand your wager & I will happily accept your offer! I was going to pay whoever back for winning but I have no problem with paying them for losing ;) However you are smart in that if I do lose, odds are I will end up in the standard deviation next to the winning score :/
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 20th, 2020 at 11:33:11 AM permalink
145 is not the 99.99th percentile. It's closer to 2 SD over the mean than it is to 3 or 4 SD.

There are many people in the world with scores over 145. If I tell you 145 is the 3rd SD above average and you know the world's population, the arithmetic is easy.

My tested IQ was 140 in 2000 when I was 19. I'm sure that uspg would test higher than me. I suppose rules about time limits could change things, but I'm pretty confident about how he would score.

Edit: my first paragraph is specific to the Woodcock-Johnson test as administered to young children & was relayed by my wife who is an elementary school psychologist. The curve for the whole population for all tests does indeed appear to place the 3rd SD at 145 IQ.
Last edited by: rdw4potus on Dec 20, 2020
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 12:17:47 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

145 is not the 99.99th percentile. It's closer to 2 SD over the mean than it is to 3 or 4 SD.

There are many people in the world with scores over 145. If I tell you 145 is the 3rd SD above average and you know the world's population, the arithmetic is easy.

My tested IQ was 140 in 2000 when I was 19. I'm sure that uspg would test higher than me. I suppose rules about time limits could change things, but I'm pretty confident about how he would score.

Edit: my first paragraph is specific to the Woodcock-Johnson test as administered to young children & was related by my wife who is an elementary school psychologist. The curve for the whole population for all tests does indeed appear to place the 3rd SD at 145 IQ.

Let's first just agree upon the standard deviations:

1st - 100-115 | 2nd - 116-130 | 3rd 131-145 | 4th 146-160 | 5th 161-175

2nd, I'm not going to lie there was a typo in my ratio figure.

3rd, your correct that I'm kind of milking the idea of achieving the desired results to seem close to impossible as I can make them; but that's all part of getting some takers to pay for my test. Plus I'm such a nice guy I didn't want to take anyone's money if I win the challenge but rather I'd payout for getting the score. Your just too smart to fall for this aren't you ;)

P.S. On a serious note, I truly don't believe IQ tests accurately can score exceptionally high level intelligence. I'm betting if aliens took the test, the figure would be so far from the truth in either direction that we wouldn't be able to trust the results. That 5 sigma p-value dramatically drops the farther the data is from the mean.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
December 20th, 2020 at 12:57:56 PM permalink

I was going off this website which puts it at 99.86% so I guess I was exaggerating a bit
https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

I tested at 136 when I was around 13 years old. I think it’s probably gone down since then.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
December 20th, 2020 at 1:05:48 PM permalink
It would be an interesting forum challenge if a bunch of people bought the self-scoring test put out by Mensa, and posted the results

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0760701644/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_DX73Fb51RSPYS
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 1:17:35 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I was going off this website which puts it at 99.86% so I guess I was exaggerating a bit
https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

I tested at 136 when I was around 13 years old. I think it’s probably gone down since then.

You're correct in that IQ scores can definitely change over a lifetime. It's quite common for IQ to drop even a full standard deviation and beyond once your elderly. Also if you don't use it you will lose it ;)
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 2:12:04 PM permalink
Dang, looks like rdw4potus just ruined my chances of getting someone to agree to the bet. I caught some 🐟 & were reeling them in until a shark stole my line :/
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 20th, 2020 at 2:55:34 PM permalink
Lol! Sorry uspg!

Can we talk about this IQ test-writing duo for a minute? If your name is Dick Woodcock and you meet a contemporary named Mary Bonner Johnson, you know you've met your partner, I guess?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 3:36:28 PM permalink

Lol! Sorry uspg!

Can we talk about this IQ test-writing duo for a minute? If your name is Dick Woodcock and you meet a contemporary named Mary Bonner Johnson, you know you've met your partner, I guess?

🤣 Sure, what would you like to discuss? Btw I accept your apology ;)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 20th, 2020 at 5:16:17 PM permalink
Spoke with son. He did some preliminary investigating and he believes it is only $100 to take the Mensa IQ test. But I am not sure if it IS an IQ test, or just a test to get into Mensa. Assuming it does give him a number that he can fairly say, "my IQ is XXX", I will pay for him to take it. I know Wizard has taken it, and has qualified for Mensa, but I don't recall if he gave us his actual IQ.

I'll definitely be taking bets when the time comes!
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 7:09:12 PM permalink

Spoke with son. He did some preliminary investigating and he believes it is only $100 to take the Mensa IQ test. But I am not sure if it IS an IQ test, or just a test to get into Mensa. Assuming it does give him a number that he can fairly say, "my IQ is XXX", I will pay for him to take it. I know Wizard has taken it, and has qualified for Mensa, but I don't recall if he gave us his actual IQ.

I'll definitely be taking bets when the time comes!

If Mensa is good enough to get the MacArthur grant then by all means I'll just take the test regardless if it's an IQ test or not. I actually think 🤔 I'd rather not have an IQ label.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 20th, 2020 at 8:34:27 PM permalink
If you just want an IQ challenge, I'm sure someone could write a short 15 question test with typical IQ test type problems.

Notify when the test is going to be posted in a thread so participants can stand by. Then once it's posted it's a mental race to the finish and be the first to post in the thread with the answers.

Doesn't have to be for money, since it's more of an honor system that the questions will only be known to the writers.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 9:14:27 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If you just want an IQ challenge, I'm sure someone could write a short 15 question test with typical IQ test type problems.

Notify when the test is going to be posted in a thread so participants can stand by. Then once it's posted it's a mental race to the finish and be the first to post in the thread with the answers.

Doesn't have to be for money, since it's more of an honor system that the questions will only be known to the writers.

I have no interest in proving my intellect to this forum, I think I've done that already plus MacArthur isn't going to give me a grant for an online test that wasn't connected by them. I'm not sure they would allow an online test ever?

However, I would be up for a mathletes competition. However, I have a feeling it could upset some players so let's make it a 5v5 game, and let's get some difficult questions from some source that's not readily published & get a 3 person judge panel & of course a host. We should choose the same number of questions from each branch of mathematics so that it's fair. We could even do this on skype and everyone could buy a bell to ding like a buzzer. Dam I'm good at game design, just be prepared for more ideas like this on the contest, like what the trophy should be?

Who wants to be on my team? 🎪🚩👀
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
RogerKint
December 20th, 2020 at 9:46:42 PM permalink

I have no interest in proving my intellect to this forum, I think I've done that already plus MacArthur isn't going to give me a grant for an online test that wasn't connected by them. I'm not sure they would allow an online test ever?

However, I would be up for a mathletes competition. However, I have a feeling it could upset some players so let's make it a 5v5 game, and let's get some difficult questions from some source that's not readily published & get a 3 person judge panel & of course a host. We should choose the same number of questions from each branch of mathematics so that it's fair. We could even do this on skype and everyone could buy a bell to ding like a buzzer. Dam I'm good at game design, just be prepared for more ideas like this on the contest, like what the trophy should be?

Who wants to be on my team? 🎪🚩👀

You seem like real team player, so count me in.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 20th, 2020 at 9:58:40 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

You seem like real team player, so count me in.

Before I accept can you give me a little bit of your background in math? I'd love to know what branches your strong at so I could form a real A-team lol. The 4 main branches I'm looking for are: calculus, topology, geodesics, & infinite discrete mathematics. So if every member of my team is an expert in those 4 fields I think we will be just fine ;)

P.S. I think it would be fun if Mr. Wizard were the host since it is his website. But I could also see him wanting to participate as a contestant.

P.P.S. I will be a team player, promise. I want the the WoV Mathletes 🏆 But that being said maybe the questions should be so difficult that they require team effort to win?
Last edited by: USpapergames on Dec 21, 2020
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
SOOPOOrdw4potus
December 21st, 2020 at 12:22:28 AM permalink
My newest favorite insult (not directed at anyone here): You have a triple digit IQ. Too bad you have to include a decimal place.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 12:49:41 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

My newest favorite insult (not directed at anyone here): You have a triple digit IQ. Too bad you have to include a decimal place.

😜 I like you. Do they seriously give IQ scores that aren't whole numbers?
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
December 21st, 2020 at 5:16:35 AM permalink

😜 I like you. Do they seriously give IQ scores that aren't whole numbers?

It was a joke
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 21st, 2020 at 5:36:53 AM permalink
Another great memory! Back in High School I was captain of our math team. Yes, in NYC we had math teams. We named our team the ‘Bayside Radicals’, and I had a friend who was artistic design T shirts. The front had the word Bayside under a ‘radical’ symbol. On the back like a jersey you had a number. As captain, my number was a ‘pi’ symbol. I wore that light blue T shirt for years until it literally fell apart! I came in 4th place in the citywide individual competition.

In college I went more ‘science’ than ‘math’, hence MD and not math PhD. I would be of little help on your requested math team now.....
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
December 21st, 2020 at 7:39:23 AM permalink
My competition days are long behind me.

However, if you, or anyone else, are interested in serious problems, there are a number of competition sites that post their problems:

USA Mathematical Olympiad - six problems per year; these require proofs, instead of just answers

American Invitational Mathematics Exam - twice per year; 15 questions each; only answers are needed, and the questions are written such that each answer is an integer from 0 to 999 (for example, if the answer is a fraction, the question would ask for the sum of the answer's numerator and denominator, or the largest integer <= 1000 times the answer)

Harvard/MIT Mathematics Tournament - this is actually two different events.
The Harvard event, held each November, is more of an all-encompassing test; the MIT event, held each February, is divided into categories (algebra/number theory, geometry, and combinatorics). The MIT questions are harder than the Harvard ones. What makes these events tough is, you get something like eight questions, and have one hour to solve them. This is another "answers-only" test, although there is a separate "invitational" event that requires proofs.

I would include the International Mathematical Olympiad, which, like the USAMO, is a proofs-required contest, but I cannot find any source for the answers to the problems.

Note that none of these requires calculus.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
unJon
December 21st, 2020 at 8:16:09 AM permalink

Before I accept can you give me a little bit of your background in math? I'd love to know what branches your strong at so I could form a real A-team lol. The 4 main branches I'm looking for are: calculus, topology, geodesics, & infinite discrete mathematics. So if every member of my team is an expert in those 4 fields I think we will be just fine ;)

P.S. I think it would be fun if Mr. Wizard were the host since it is his website. But I could also see him wanting to participate as a contestant.

P.P.S. I will be a team player, promise. I want the the WoV Mathletes 🏆 But that being said maybe the questions should be so difficult that they require team effort to win?

I'm a former WOV Trivia Challenge Champion. Nuff Said!
We need a well rounded team, not a team where everyone is expert in the same fields.
If Bugs Bunny was headed west from NYC, where would he turn south?
The flag of what nation has keys on it?
What year did the Depression on 1878 start?
Why did Theta eat a Iota?
Over the years, the average amount of licks it takes to get to the candy center
of a tootsie pop has decreased by what percentage?

You stick to the math, leave the rest to me.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 10:33:45 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm a former WOV Trivia Challenge Champion. Nuff Said!
We need a well rounded team, not a team where everyone is expert in the same fields.
If Bugs Bunny was headed west from NYC, where would he turn south?
The flag of what nation has keys on it?
What year did the Depression on 1878 start?
Why did Theta eat a Iota?
Over the years, the average amount of licks it takes to get to the candy center
of a tootsie pop has decreased by what percentage?

You stick to the math, leave the rest to me.

A full trivia challenge could be scary, idk if I'm ready for that but I'll certainly add you to the team if I'm up for the challenge. I don't the mathletes competition because if we do get an A team maybe we could compete at other mathletes competitions? I saw one with a 1st place prize of $5,000!
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
December 21st, 2020 at 10:34:49 AM permalink
Gentlemen,

As I mentioned when the Wizard took his test, I took many tests as a kid. My average scores were in the 140's. That is not terribly rare. My range of scores were from 130's to mid 160's, depending on the day and dumb luck. I once seem to recall getting in the 170's, but as I tell my girlfriend, I may be conflating that with my best bowling average. LOL.

You can't take this IQ stuff seriously. I went to regional meetings of gifted kids, and an auditorium was filled with kids with IQs more than 135.

I have friends in Mensa. It's really no big deal. In fact, one guy said he'd kill me if I told anybody he was in Mensa.

MacArthur grants are not specifically "genius grants." They are for people who have contributed in a positive way to human culture, are low on personal funds, and are smart -- more or less in that order.

I'm a little surprised no other allegedly "high IQ" guys have spoken out and straightened this out for the forum.

Oh yeah, one other thing. My experience has been that "self-administered" tests tend to result in higher scores than proctor administered tests. I took just a couple of the self administered, but for whatever reason, they seem to be inflated scoring-wise.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 10:36:14 AM permalink

Another great memory! Back in High School I was captain of our math team. Yes, in NYC we had math teams. We named our team the ‘Bayside Radicals’, and I had a friend who was artistic design T shirts. The front had the word Bayside under a ‘radical’ symbol. On the back like a jersey you had a number. As captain, my number was a ‘pi’ symbol. I wore that light blue T shirt for years until it literally fell apart! I came in 4th place in the citywide individual competition.

In college I went more ‘science’ than ‘math’, hence MD and not math PhD. I would be of little help on your requested math team now.....

That really sounds like a lot of fun....I wish my high school memories were that enjoyable :/
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 21st, 2020 at 10:36:54 AM permalink

That really sounds like a lot of fun....I wish my high school memories were that enjoyable :/
  • Jump to: