jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
December 3rd, 2020 at 8:47:37 PM permalink
Has anyone heard of someone breaking into a keyless car electronically possible?

Someone might have broke into my car.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Dec 4, 2020
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 3rd, 2020 at 10:02:27 PM permalink
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Dec 4, 2020
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
jjjoooggg
December 4th, 2020 at 3:32:29 AM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Has anyone heard of someone breaking into a keyless car electronically possible?

I would be sure it is possible. They put a wedge between the door frame and the car then use a long metal "finger" to trip the switch on the inside.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
December 4th, 2020 at 7:39:31 AM permalink
I've sometimes found my trunk open when returning to my car after visiting my parents. Either someone in the neighborhood is playing tricks or I need to take the key fob out of my pants pocket before I sit down. Maybe if I put my key fob in a Sucrets box then put that box in my pants pocket I'd have better protection, and wrap the insides of the box in foil.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 4th, 2020 at 8:12:58 AM permalink
Sucrets, theres a name I haven’t heard for awhile.Do they still make them?
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
Thanked by
jjjoooggg
December 4th, 2020 at 8:19:08 AM permalink
Our car got broken into at Calico basin. We thought they used a remote key fob blocker/entry of some kind as we could not figure out how they got in, got in the trunk and lifted credit cards. Very professional. They left everything intact so you would never know the car was broken into. Left everything....just lifted credit cards. By the time we realized it, $5,000 had been charged on the cards.

In any event, upon later inspection by Honda.....they very carefully bent the key hole and were able to disengage the lock. $500 dollars later at Honda. I considered it a flaw on Honda vehicles that someone with nothing more than a tiny pick could disengage the lock like that on a 2019 vehicle. When asked...Honda shrugged their shoulders.

Long story short...for 2 days we thought they entered wirelessly. They didn’t.

Criminals....the professionals are very sophisticated. It was definitely a team working the calico basin area. They must have had a lookout because we weren’t that far from the car when it happened. Beware if you are up there hiking. Break ins like this have also been reported at various Red Rock Canyon parking areas.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 259
Thanked by
jjjoooggg
December 4th, 2020 at 2:28:12 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

its very possible youtube video incoming when i find it

albeit difficult - its possible - just not by anyone and the "holes" have been "patched" apparently - can i ask what kind of car you have as in does it connect to an "app" on your phone...

here ya go

they hack garage doors at first - but get into the hacking of the cars later on in the video you have to skim the video i havent watched it in so long
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
Thanked by
jjjoooggg
December 4th, 2020 at 3:58:37 PM permalink
Turning a Hotel Key Into a Stolen Credit Card https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDstCHYlj0U
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 4th, 2020 at 9:37:38 PM permalink
Thanks for the info guys
nighterfighter
nighterfighter
  • Threads: 1
December 5th, 2020 at 10:27:06 AM permalink
Relay attacks are becoming more common right now.

A month ago there was a big hit of car thefts in a near by neighborhood, using relay attacks.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
December 5th, 2020 at 12:07:04 PM permalink
I’m a fan of “bait” car programs for theft deterrent. If we were asked what specific anti-crime programs we could fund with our tax money, that would be one I’d pick.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 259
December 5th, 2020 at 12:13:06 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I’m a fan of “bait” car programs for theft deterrent. If we were asked what specific anti-crime programs we could fund with our tax money, that would be one I’d pick.

Yeah but the one stipulation I have is that it has to be made into a tv show specifically making fun of the idiots who attempt to steal the bait. And there has to be a host who specifically laughs really hard at the person who gets caught
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 5th, 2020 at 4:45:53 PM permalink
I should have screenshot this.

I was staying at a comfort inn. Not a big city. I took a shower and came back To my screen saying something to the effect: transaction could not be completed. I was on the hotel wifi

So i googled unsecured wifi risk. One said: Dont leave laptop unattended. Kind of careless of me.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-wifi-the-dos-and-donts-of-using-public-wi-fi.html
  • Jump to: