Thread Rating:

Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 21st, 2020 at 8:41:16 AM permalink
The 85% comment probably isn't too far off.

Most people are only wearing cloth masks or surgical masks which are about as effective as a screen door on a submarine. Actual N95 and KN95 are somewhat effective. The big problem are the eyes. If you're going to wear a mask, then cover your eyes too. Not covering your eyes is like leaving your nose uncovered while wearing a mask.

Hang in there a little longer, we should have the first vaccine later in Nov. and antibody treatments. It looks like most people will have immunity lasting for a lifetime once they've had the China virus. Fortunately we're doing much better than most of Europe and in locations where they've had the most draconian lock downs thanks to great leadership. Operation Warp Speed is going to provide us with several vaccine options.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 244
October 21st, 2020 at 8:46:18 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

The 85% comment probably isn't too far off.

Most people are only wearing cloth masks or surgical masks which are about as effective as a screen door on a submarine. Actual N95 and KN95 are somewhat effective. The big problem are the eyes. If you're going to wear a mask, then cover your eyes too. Not covering your eyes is like leaving your nose uncovered while wearing a mask.

Hang in there a little longer, we should have the first vaccine later in Nov. and antibody treatments. Fortunately it looks like most people will have immunity lasting for a lifetime once they contract the China virus.

Here we go again with bad science.

Covid-19 is a respiratory disease.

You Inhale through your mouth.

You inhale through your nose.

Now suddenly you inhale through your eyes?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 21st, 2020 at 8:48:34 AM permalink
Darkoz,

The virus also sticks to the eyes. It's a route of entry. Do a little research on viruses and diseases and it will help you comprehend it.

'COVID-19 is spread through respiratory droplets from an infected person. These droplets enter the air through a cough or sneeze and pass into another person through the nose, mouth, eyes or any mucous membrane. The usual method of spread is through close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands with an infected person, and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes. Objects and surfaces can also carry the virus to another person. Rarely the virus can spread to another person through contact with infected feces (stool)."

"A mucous membrane or mucosa is a membrane that lines various cavities in the body and covers the surface of internal organs. It consists of one or more layers of epithelial cells overlying a layer of loose connective tissue. It is mostly of endodermal origin and is continuous with the skin at various body openings such as the eyes, ears, inside the nose, inside the mouth, lip, vagina, the urethral opening and the anus. Some mucous membranes secrete mucus, a thick protective fluid. The function of the membrane is to stop pathogens and dirt from entering the body and to prevent bodily tissues from becoming dehydrated."-Wiki
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
Thanks for this post from:
DeMango
October 21st, 2020 at 8:58:28 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Really depending on whose numbers you believe. This thread was started by someone with an agenda, and a misquotation. Comrade Dietz has an agenda, probably more than one. But as they say, "No publicity is bad publicity!"

Comrade Dietz?
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 27
October 21st, 2020 at 9:03:05 AM permalink
So, from now on, as per Keyser, don't eat shit!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 27
Thanks for this post from:
Minty
October 21st, 2020 at 9:32:16 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I concede the op misquoted the other person.

The other person was misconstruing data.

Both have an agenda and hell, most people do.

But in the end science should be agreed upon by all agendas just like there should not be agenda driven math.

Let's make one thing clear because it can be argued each side is entitled to their interpretation.

The study in question, HAS FORMALLY ISSUED A FOLLOWUP THAT ANY INTERPRETATION OF THE 85% QUOTATION IS MEANT TO DISCOURAGE MASK USAGE IS THE WRONG INTERPRETATION!!!

Forgetting agendas and sides, the authors intent has been clarified by the authors themselves. Any further misconstrued information is the height of working under an agenda!

Actually, I wasn't quoting a forum member in the leadoff post. I was addressing this verbatim quote:

"Did you see the CDC? That's 85% of the people wearing a mask catch it, okay?"

So maybe I was presumptuous by thinking that forum members who were using the 85% figure were referencing this quote. Perhaps they received their information from another source. But really, how likely is that -- LOL.

And yes, the people who did the study, at Vanderbilt, have explained in national media interviews that their study demonstrated nothing of the kind and was not designed to even ask that question.

By the way, "Comrade Dietz" has no hidden agendas here, other than trying to maintain some semblance of sanity and spread it around a little. I derive no income from any site. I have tried to partner up with zero -- as in nada -- of the people I have interacted with online. That's zero since the inception of the internet. For the record, I'm also not a big fan of communism, as it's basically a religion since it can't be disconfirmed, which reminds me a religion making its way through the U.S. right now. But I am, from a social perspective, somewhat left of Marx, so what I suggest is "Sir Comrade Dietz," so as to assign proper respect and all.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 244
October 21st, 2020 at 9:55:25 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Darkoz,

The virus also sticks to the eyes. It's a route of entry. Do a little research on viruses and diseases and it will help you comprehend it.

'COVID-19 is spread through respiratory droplets from an infected person. These droplets enter the air through a cough or sneeze and pass into another person through the nose, mouth, eyes or any mucous membrane. The usual method of spread is through close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands with an infected person, and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes. Objects and surfaces can also carry the virus to another person. Rarely the virus can spread to another person through contact with infected feces (stool)."

"A mucous membrane or mucosa is a membrane that lines various cavities in the body and covers the surface of internal organs. It consists of one or more layers of epithelial cells overlying a layer of loose connective tissue. It is mostly of endodermal origin and is continuous with the skin at various body openings such as the eyes, ears, inside the nose, inside the mouth, lip, vagina, the urethral opening and the anus. Some mucous membranes secrete mucus, a thick protective fluid. The function of the membrane is to stop pathogens and dirt from entering the body and to prevent bodily tissues from becoming dehydrated."-Wiki

There has yet to be a study that conclusively found the virus is going through the eyes.

Yes, if it's on your hands you could theoretically touch your eyes and get infected, I suppose, but eye covering probably would not stop a person with an itchy eye from rubbing his own eye.

Anecdotally (but now in magnitude) if covering only the mouth and nose was insufficient, we should be seeing rises in cases for those areas with strict mask requirements.

Everything is pointing to mouth and facial covering as more than sufficient.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1355
October 21st, 2020 at 10:48:25 AM permalink
Can someone please explain to me, in as few words as possible, what this 85% statistic is saying? Just put it in a sentence. I don't need an interpretation.

Math puzzle time!

Let's say 94.5% of the population wear masks. The probability a mask-wearer gets the CV is 1%. The probability a non-mask-wearer gets the CV is 3%. A person positive with CV is chosen at random. What is the probability he was a mask-wearer?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
October 21st, 2020 at 10:53:32 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can someone please explain to me, in as few words as possible, what this 85% statistic is saying? Just put it in a sentence. I don't need an interpretation.

Math puzzle time!

Let's say 94.5% of the population wear masks. The probability a mask-wearer gets the CV is 1%. The probability a non-mask-wearer gets the CV is 3%. A person positive with CV is chosen at random. What is the probability he was a mask-wearer?

The one as I mentioned was one Trump quoted but I forget when.

85% of people catching the virus were regular mask wearers.

Another way, if 100 people tested positive, 85% wore masks regular.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 306
October 21st, 2020 at 11:06:44 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The one as I mentioned was one Trump quoted but I forget when.

85% of people catching the virus were regular mask wearers.

Another way, if 100 people tested positive, 85% wore masks regular.

I'll say it again. The only people who were shocked by this are those who thought the mask *directly* protected them. I think the Fauci types out there were happy for this illusion to be widespread, as it got people to wear masks.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: