Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 175
Thanks for this post from:
rsactuary
October 20th, 2020 at 10:05:53 AM permalink
At the end of the day, we all have better things to do than argue with a rock. If, after eight months and 220,000+ dead Americans, someone is still spewing nonsense, I think it is safe to say nothing you say will bring on an epiphany.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
October 20th, 2020 at 10:51:21 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

What AZ is attempting is to claim people aren't wearing their masks properly so they are going to catch and spread covid regardless. Ergo, mask wearing is worthless.

That is completely the reverse of the study findings which is that mask wearing is important and needs to be done in totality (not removed in drinking and dining establishments) and of course done correctly.

I don't get AZ way of thinking.

That is because you seem to be the type who believes what you are told by those in power somewhere. I have been lied to enough in life that I do not believe near as easily, I also subscribe to the "born with a bucket of common sense" philosophy. Together they mean I am not buying what the maskers are selling.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 306
October 20th, 2020 at 11:10:02 AM permalink
To me this 85% business shows people never did get this. The masks almost all of us wear do not protect us much, this was said in the beginning of the time wearing masks was urged in the US, if you were paying attention. Not directly, that is. Wearing masks helps protect other people from YOU.

Do people think that a surgeon traditionally wears a mask in order to protect himself LOL?

Not 100% for protecting others from you, either. For the other, protecting you directly that is, I'm surprised it isn't 90% or worse.

We protect each other by wearing masks. I think it is working as well as can be expected.

Now, covering the nose, that is another matter, which I have been ranting about over at DT
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 168
October 20th, 2020 at 11:14:11 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

That is because you seem to be the type who believes what you are told by those in power somewhere. I have been lied to enough in life that I do not believe near as easily, I also subscribe to the "born with a bucket of common sense" philosophy. Together they mean I am not buying what the maskers are selling.

lol... its like

oh wait not these doctors they have no idea!!!

wait maybe this expert doctor... no he is insulting the peoples intelligence...

cant wait til you people defund the police...
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
October 20th, 2020 at 12:43:29 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

Exactly. I don't get it. Interpreting the study as "85% of people who wear masks get covid" is completely wrong, and obviously wrong. You may as well say the sun orbits the earth. Why tolerate misinformation like this without calling it out?

That’s not what I saw him say. I saw him say “85% of people who got the virus were wearing masks.” Now he took that statement to mean that masks don’t work as opposed to taking it to be about people wearing masks incorrectly or removing them. But you may have just written a long post addressed to correcting an error that AZ didn’t make. Congratulations I guess?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintDeMango
October 20th, 2020 at 5:53:10 PM permalink
Any reason, other than attention seeking behavior, that this was split off from coronavirus math thread? This is literally a coronavirus math thread/title, and everyone should have known it would devolve into the exact same thing as the other.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
October 20th, 2020 at 7:07:54 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Any reason, other than attention seeking behavior, that this was split off from coronavirus math thread? This is literally a coronavirus math thread/title, and everyone should have known it would devolve into the exact same thing as the other.

Can it be considered a math thread when people claim statistics in science doesn't matter and Anecdotal evidence is more compelling?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
October 20th, 2020 at 7:47:00 PM permalink

Can it be considered a math thread when people claim statistics in science doesn't matter and Anecdotal evidence is more compelling?

Im assuming you intended to use the singular form of people.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 27
October 21st, 2020 at 6:10:58 AM permalink

Really depending on whose numbers you believe. This thread was started by someone with an agenda, and a misquotation. Comrade Dietz has an agenda, probably more than one. But as they say, "No publicity is bad publicity!"
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
October 21st, 2020 at 6:28:44 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Really depending on whose numbers you believe. This thread was started by someone with an agenda, and a misquotation. Comrade Dietz has an agenda, probably more than one. But as they say, "No publicity is bad publicity!"

I concede the op misquoted the other person.

The other person was misconstruing data.

Both have an agenda and hell, most people do.

But in the end science should be agreed upon by all agendas just like there should not be agenda driven math.

Let's make one thing clear because it can be argued each side is entitled to their interpretation.

The study in question, HAS FORMALLY ISSUED A FOLLOWUP THAT ANY INTERPRETATION OF THE 85% QUOTATION IS MEANT TO DISCOURAGE MASK USAGE IS THE WRONG INTERPRETATION!!!

Forgetting agendas and sides, the authors intent has been clarified by the authors themselves. Any further misconstrued information is the height of working under an agenda!
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee

• Jump to: