Thread Rating:

Wizard
Wizard
  • Threads: 1550
  • Posts: 28392
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 4th, 2026 at 9:38:13 AM permalink
Quote: idadana

Celebrity deaths often bring back strong memories, especially when someone’s work was connected to an important period in our lives. I was reading sanitized -D recently and it reminded me how certain names or events can unexpectedly bring back memories from years ago.
link to original post



Oh really! Can you share an example of one of these memories and which celebrity triggered it and why?
Last edited by: unnamed administrator on Sep 4, 2026
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." -- Aristotle
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7956
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
Wizard
September 4th, 2026 at 12:24:34 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: idadana

Celebrity deaths often bring back strong memories, especially when someone’s work was connected to an important period in our lives. I was reading sanitized -D recently and it reminded me how certain names or events can unexpectedly bring back memories from years ago.
link to original post



Oh really! Can you share an example of one of these memories and which celebrity triggered it and why?
link to original post



idadana is nuked for unauthorized advertising.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Wynter
Wynter
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 9
Joined: Jul 12, 2026
September 23rd, 2026 at 12:36:16 AM permalink
New Found Glory guitarist Chad Gilbert died “peacefully in his sleep” Sunday morning at the age of 45, his bandmates and wife said in a statement.

Source: NBC NEWS
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 6399
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
September 23rd, 2026 at 3:21:27 AM permalink
Quote: Wynter

New Found Glory guitarist Chad Gilbert died “peacefully in his sleep” Sunday morning at the age of 45, his bandmates and wife said in a statement.

Source: NBC NEWS
link to original post



Brain cancer. No one's choice of the way to go even if you do die peacefully in your sleep.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 9138
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
September 23rd, 2026 at 7:34:41 AM permalink
Presley Gerber. Sometimes addicts die from overdose of their drug of choice (Hayden Panettiere) but sometimes it's from the cardiac stress of withdrawal (Jerry Garcia) or from switching to other drugs they are not as familiar with (Scott Weiland).

When the Gerber death news first came out it was mentioned alongside his ibogaine treatment, which is a non-FDA approved drug used in Mexico rehabs to withdraw from drugs like heroin and fentanyl without all that pain, but that has an unacceptably high rate of side effect death from cardiac arrest. Now though it seems like it might simply have been a street drugs overdose, that he somehow smuggled into the Santa Monica sober living or got his hands on from other residents once there - checked in Saturday night, dead by Sunday morning, and nothing to do with treatment.

Do sober livings have a duty to keep drugs away from their patients? If the Gerber family sues, we are going to find out!
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 311
  • Posts: 12277
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
October 4th, 2026 at 8:01:02 PM permalink
Marjoe Gortner.

One of my favorite actors. Raised as a child preacher, he understood all the radicalism and objected to the false divining when he got older. Became an actor and enjoyed ungodly roles

He used his training to be a vocal preacher to play deranged characters pretty well.

Food of the Gods, he's the main character.

In Earthquake he's a supermarket manager turned psycho army commander
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 5th, 2026 at 10:14:23 PM permalink
Televangelist Jim Bakker, 86. Paid hush money to an alleged rape victom and later went to prison for financial fraud.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 5th, 2026 at 10:26:32 PM permalink
Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max like paintings and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia since then.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 6399
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
October 6th, 2026 at 5:27:23 AM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Televangelist Jim Bakker, 86. Paid hush money to an alleged rape victom and later went to prison for financial fraud.
link to original post



His first wife, Tammy Faye, was IMO one of the ugliest celebrity women I've seen.

There used to be a joke that was something like this:

What's a bad start to a day?
Waking up to find yourself in bed with Tammy Faye Bakker, Richard Simmons and Gary Coleman.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 15158
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 5:53:31 AM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max like paintings and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia since then.
link to original post



I wondered how long he had. I was working an art show in the mid-2010s and the host said he did not travel anymore.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 6:56:03 AM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max-like paintings, and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia.
link to original post



I own a couple of original Peter Max pieces that I bought in the 1990s. He'd take a small litho of his work, an 8x10, and he'd paste it to a 12x18 sheet of artistic paper and then doodle on the outer piece, turning a $20 litho into a thousand-dollar original, signed Max.
In 1986/87, Peter Max put up most of the financing for my friend's comic book company, with the only condition being that he had to obtain the rights to The Honeymooners and publish a comic of them. The company shut down after only producing a few books.
In the 1990s, an unsuccessful Atlantic City casino owner hired him to build a large mural on the fencing around the recently torn-down World's Fair casino. Max sketched it and sent an army of interns to do the actual painting. The casino owner, whom I'll call Ronald, wasn't happy with the result, had it removed, and sued to get his money back. Max had demanded, and got, paid up front.
I hadn't heard he died, but he'd been ill for years. He had kept an office in the World Trade Center, and after they fell, there was a rumor that much of his personal artwork was lost, creating a temporary spike in the value of his remaining work.
As a kid, I really liked his psychedelic-era artwork, and I admired him for all the charity work he did, especially concerning the rainforests.
Rest in Peace.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 7:45:22 AM permalink
Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2257
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
October 6th, 2026 at 8:08:35 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 698
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
Thanked by
Dieter
October 6th, 2026 at 8:30:35 AM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post


I don't recall Pill Donahue or Merv Griffin begging everyone to send them money.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7956
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
October 6th, 2026 at 8:40:14 AM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post



I think they may have been somewhat insincere in their promotion of virtue and wholesomeness.

At least J.R. "Bob" Dobbs (and Stang) are forthcoming and honest about the transactional nature of their invitations to give alms.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2257
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
October 6th, 2026 at 8:43:09 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post


I don't recall Pill Donahue or Merv Griffin begging everyone to send them money.
link to original post



No but PBS sure did, despite it mostly being crap nobody liked. At least I had a choice with the PBS beg-a-thons, unlike the part of their revenue from the taxpayers.

How did a preacher saying "The Good News is free, come any time, take all you want, spare what you can" become a villain? We never say that about buskers or shareware writers.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 8:52:09 AM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: JimRockford

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post


I don't recall Pill Donahue or Merv Griffin begging everyone to send them money.
link to original post



No but PBS sure did, despite it mostly being crap nobody liked. At least I had a choice with the PBS beg-a-thons, unlike the part of their revenue from the taxpayers.

How did a preacher saying "The Good News is free, come any time, take all you want, spare what you can" become a villain? We never say that about buskers or shareware writers.
link to original post



I am so glad I don't live on your world.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 9:03:36 AM permalink
In the early 1980s, on long Island there was a small movie theatre known as the Mini- Cinema. It showed cult films and became legendary as the second place in America to show The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Jessica Hahn was one of the regulars. When the MC shut down, many of the clique started attending a small church in Massapequa.
Jessica, who had a well-earned reputation for being pretty easy, suddenly worked as a church secretary and was being pimped out by the pastor, a used car salesman named Gene. Gene gave Jessica to Jim Baker in return for being allowed to pimp his church on Baker's show.
I sincerely hope they all get what they deserve.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7956
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
October 6th, 2026 at 9:44:29 AM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: JimRockford

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post


I don't recall Pill Donahue or Merv Griffin begging everyone to send them money.
link to original post



No but PBS sure did, despite it mostly being crap nobody liked. At least I had a choice with the PBS beg-a-thons, unlike the part of their revenue from the taxpayers.

How did a preacher saying "The Good News is free, come any time, take all you want, spare what you can" become a villain? We never say that about buskers or shareware writers.
link to original post



I don't think they had Fred Rogers, or Martin Yan, or Jacques Pepin, or whoever was hosting Nova, or the guy from The Woodwright's Shop, or Big Bird hustling pledges. I think the only one I might remember was Diana Rigg throwing to the local station for pledge drive weeks .. then back to Poirot.

A lot of people really liked having a channel to park the kids in front of that didn't flog overpriced sugar fortified breakfast cereal and action figurines.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 241
  • Posts: 13946
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
October 6th, 2026 at 9:48:00 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Quote: GenoDRPh

Televangelist Jim Bakker, 86. Paid hush money to an alleged rape victom and later went to prison for financial fraud.
link to original post



His first wife, Tammy Faye, was IMO one of the ugliest celebrity women I've seen.

There used to be a joke that was something like this:

What's a bad start to a day?
Waking up to find yourself in bed with Tammy Faye Bakker, Richard Simmons and Gary Coleman.
link to original post



Not quite Miss America.

Sanitized for Your Protection
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 698
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
October 6th, 2026 at 10:18:50 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: JimRockford

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post


I don't recall Pill Donahue or Merv Griffin begging everyone to send them money.
link to original post



No but PBS sure did, despite it mostly being crap nobody liked. At least I had a choice with the PBS beg-a-thons, unlike the part of their revenue from the taxpayers.

How did a preacher saying "The Good News is free, come any time, take all you want, spare what you can" become a villain? We never say that about buskers or shareware writers.
link to original post



I don't think they had Fred Rogers, or Martin Yan, or Jacques Pepin, or whoever was hosting Nova, or the guy from The Woodwright's Shop, or Big Bird hustling pledges. I think the only one I might remember was Diana Rigg throwing to the local station for pledge drive weeks .. then back to Poirot.

A lot of people really liked having a channel to park the kids in front of that didn't flog overpriced sugar fortified breakfast cereal and action figurines.
link to original post


Why are we using the past tense? PBS is going strong where I live. "Brought to you by ... and viewers like you." My favorite viewers, viewers who are like me but are not me.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 10:26:40 AM permalink
We had two PBS stations on Long Island, Channels 13 and 21. Thirteen was more snooty, showing Masterpiece Theatre, while Twentyone was edgier. Thirteen showed a Boston Pops concert, while Twentyone aired Austin City Limits.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
AutomaticMonkey
AutomaticMonkey
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2257
Joined: Sep 30, 2024
October 6th, 2026 at 10:34:25 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: JimRockford

Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: billryan

Disgraced fraudster Jim Baker, who made a fortune off of people looking for spiritual help while living a billionaire lifestyle and screwing young secretaries.
link to original post



Bakker. He was never anything close to a billionaire and I'm not convinced these guys, when they were all over the air, made more money than anyone else with a show with a similar sized audience. Financial impropriety, sexual exploitation of subordinates, like nobody with a secular talk show did that? At least these guys did it while promoting something positive, instead of a bunch of gossip and scandal.
link to original post


I don't recall Pill Donahue or Merv Griffin begging everyone to send them money.
link to original post



No but PBS sure did, despite it mostly being crap nobody liked. At least I had a choice with the PBS beg-a-thons, unlike the part of their revenue from the taxpayers.

How did a preacher saying "The Good News is free, come any time, take all you want, spare what you can" become a villain? We never say that about buskers or shareware writers.
link to original post



I don't think they had Fred Rogers, or Martin Yan, or Jacques Pepin, or whoever was hosting Nova, or the guy from The Woodwright's Shop, or Big Bird hustling pledges. I think the only one I might remember was Diana Rigg throwing to the local station for pledge drive weeks .. then back to Poirot.

A lot of people really liked having a channel to park the kids in front of that didn't flog overpriced sugar fortified breakfast cereal and action figurines.
link to original post



And the kids were afraid to admit that they hated it. The last good kids' show was the 70s Wonderama. Totally commercialized, totally fun, and totally wholesome. On his last show, Bob McAllister warned us "Everything on TV is not good" and that was back before that was a mainstream sentiment.

It's just that with all the squalor that has appeared on TV over the decades, I find no way to prioritize televangelists for my outrage.

Quote: Zappa


I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed and deranged
I have existed for years but very little has changed
I'm the tool of the government, and industry too
And I am destined to rule, and regulate you
I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious, with the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set!

You will obey me as I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that I don't need you
Don't call for help, no one will heed you.
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7956
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
October 6th, 2026 at 10:50:42 AM permalink
Quote: AutomaticMonkey

Quote: Dieter


I don't think they had Fred Rogers, or Martin Yan, or Jacques Pepin, or whoever was hosting Nova, or the guy from The Woodwright's Shop, or Big Bird hustling pledges. I think the only one I might remember was Diana Rigg throwing to the local station for pledge drive weeks .. then back to Poirot.

A lot of people really liked having a channel to park the kids in front of that didn't flog overpriced sugar fortified breakfast cereal and action figurines.
link to original post



And the kids were afraid to admit that they hated it. The last good kids' show was the 70s Wonderama. Totally commercialized, totally fun, and totally wholesome. On his last show, Bob McAllister warned us "Everything on TV is not good" and that was back before that was a mainstream sentiment.

It's just that with all the squalor that has appeared on TV over the decades, I find no way to prioritize televangelists for my outrage.

Quote: Zappa


I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed and deranged
I have existed for years but very little has changed
I'm the tool of the government, and industry too
And I am destined to rule, and regulate you
I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious, with the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set!

You will obey me as I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that I don't need you
Don't call for help, no one will heed you.
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold.


link to original post



I got the distinct impression that Elmo dolls outsold VeggieTales anything, which I found heartwarming.

In fairness, I haven't really watched "regular" TV in 15 years (or so), and then, it was drinking on my brother-in-law's couch while TV's Craig Ferguson was on.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 11:19:08 AM permalink
You obviously missed Steampipe Alley and Xuxa.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 15035
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
October 6th, 2026 at 1:26:27 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: gordonm888

Quote: GenoDRPh

Televangelist Jim Bakker, 86. Paid hush money to an alleged rape victom and later went to prison for financial fraud.
link to original post



His first wife, Tammy Faye, was IMO one of the ugliest celebrity women I've seen.

There used to be a joke that was something like this:

What's a bad start to a day?
Waking up to find yourself in bed with Tammy Faye Bakker, Richard Simmons and Gary Coleman.
link to original post



Not quite Miss America.


link to original post



I think she was somewhat attractive when she was younger.

You can't know everything, but you can know anything.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 6th, 2026 at 2:32:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max-like paintings, and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia.
link to original post



I own a couple of original Peter Max pieces that I bought in the 1990s. He'd take a small litho of his work, an 8x10, and he'd paste it to a 12x18 sheet of artistic paper and then doodle on the outer piece, turning a $20 litho into a thousand-dollar original, signed Max.
In 1986/87, Peter Max put up most of the financing for my friend's comic book company, with the only condition being that he had to obtain the rights to The Honeymooners and publish a comic of them. The company shut down after only producing a few books.
In the 1990s, an unsuccessful Atlantic City casino owner hired him to build a large mural on the fencing around the recently torn-down World's Fair casino. Max sketched it and sent an army of interns to do the actual painting. The casino owner, whom I'll call Ronald, wasn't happy with the result, had it removed, and sued to get his money back. Max had demanded, and got, paid up front.
I hadn't heard he died, but he'd been ill for years. He had kept an office in the World Trade Center, and after they fell, there was a rumor that much of his personal artwork was lost, creating a temporary spike in the value of his remaining work.
As a kid, I really liked his psychedelic-era artwork, and I admired him for all the charity work he did, especially concerning the rainforests.
Rest in Peace.
link to original post



You sure it was Peter Max and not some other artist? Google says ther was no meaningful contact between Max and The Ronald.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 2:54:20 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max-like paintings, and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia.
link to original post



I own a couple of original Peter Max pieces that I bought in the 1990s. He'd take a small litho of his work, an 8x10, and he'd paste it to a 12x18 sheet of artistic paper and then doodle on the outer piece, turning a $20 litho into a thousand-dollar original, signed Max.
In 1986/87, Peter Max put up most of the financing for my friend's comic book company, with the only condition being that he had to obtain the rights to The Honeymooners and publish a comic of them. The company shut down after only producing a few books.
In the 1990s, an unsuccessful Atlantic City casino owner hired him to build a large mural on the fencing around the recently torn-down World's Fair casino. Max sketched it and sent an army of interns to do the actual painting. The casino owner, whom I'll call Ronald, wasn't happy with the result, had it removed, and sued to get his money back. Max had demanded, and got, paid up front.
I hadn't heard he died, but he'd been ill for years. He had kept an office in the World Trade Center, and after they fell, there was a rumor that much of his personal artwork was lost, creating a temporary spike in the value of his remaining work.
As a kid, I really liked his psychedelic-era artwork, and I admired him for all the charity work he did, especially concerning the rainforests.
Rest in Peace.
link to original post



You sure it was Peter Max and not some other artist? Google says ther was no meaningful contact between Max and The Ronald.
link to original post



When the Ronald tore down the World's Fair, he posted a big billboard on the beach announcing the world's biggest casino was to be built there. He commissioned Max to create a mural for the fencing. I had some photos of the signs but they were lost years ago.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 6th, 2026 at 3:22:44 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max-like paintings, and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia.
link to original post



I own a couple of original Peter Max pieces that I bought in the 1990s. He'd take a small litho of his work, an 8x10, and he'd paste it to a 12x18 sheet of artistic paper and then doodle on the outer piece, turning a $20 litho into a thousand-dollar original, signed Max.
In 1986/87, Peter Max put up most of the financing for my friend's comic book company, with the only condition being that he had to obtain the rights to The Honeymooners and publish a comic of them. The company shut down after only producing a few books.
In the 1990s, an unsuccessful Atlantic City casino owner hired him to build a large mural on the fencing around the recently torn-down World's Fair casino. Max sketched it and sent an army of interns to do the actual painting. The casino owner, whom I'll call Ronald, wasn't happy with the result, had it removed, and sued to get his money back. Max had demanded, and got, paid up front.
I hadn't heard he died, but he'd been ill for years. He had kept an office in the World Trade Center, and after they fell, there was a rumor that much of his personal artwork was lost, creating a temporary spike in the value of his remaining work.
As a kid, I really liked his psychedelic-era artwork, and I admired him for all the charity work he did, especially concerning the rainforests.
Rest in Peace.
link to original post



You sure it was Peter Max and not some other artist? Google says ther was no meaningful contact between Max and The Ronald.
link to original post



When the Ronald tore down the World's Fair, he posted a big billboard on the beach announcing the world's biggest casino was to be built there. He commissioned Max to create a mural for the fencing. I had some photos of the signs but they were lost years ago.
link to original post



From Google AI:

Quote:

No, Peter Max did not create a mural for a Donald Trump casino.
While the iconic pop artist Peter Max was famous for large-scale public commissions—such as painting a Boeing 777 jet for Continental Airlines, the hull of a Norwegian Cruise Line ship, and U.S. border welcome murals—there is no record of him designing or painting a mural for any of Trump's former Atlantic City casino properties (such as Trump Plaza, Trump's Castle, or the Trump Taj Mahal).
Other popular contemporary artists of that era, such as LeRoy Neiman, frequently had their sports and celebrity-themed artwork associated with high-profile events at properties like Trump Plaza, which may be the source of the mix-up.
If you are trying to identify a specific piece of art or another artist associated with a Trump casino, please let me know:
• Which Atlantic City casino property you are thinking of (e.g., Plaza, Taj Mahal, Castle)
• A brief description of the mural's subject matter (e.g., sports, celebrities, psychedelic patterns)
I can help you pinpoint the correct artist or artwork!



Quote:

The World's Fair Casino in Atlantic City featured 30 historical world's fair murals painted by artist Mr. Irvin and his assistant Susan Daly in a Social Realist style.
Mural Details
• Commission: Donald Trump commissioned the murals when converting the Trump Regency Hotel (part of Trump Plaza) into the World's Fair Casino.
• Creation: Working daily from November onward, Irvin and Susan Daly spent two days sketching from period photographs and research, then three to four days painting each canvas.
• Style and Size: The canvases ranged from 5 by 9 feet to 18 by 20 feet, styled in a Social Realist manner reminiscent of Thomas Hart Benton to represent global expositions and world's fairs throughout history.
If you're looking for more details on specific world's fairs depicted or the history of the Atlantic City property, let me know how I can narrow it down!

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 4:22:31 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max-like paintings, and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia.
link to original post



I own a couple of original Peter Max pieces that I bought in the 1990s. He'd take a small litho of his work, an 8x10, and he'd paste it to a 12x18 sheet of artistic paper and then doodle on the outer piece, turning a $20 litho into a thousand-dollar original, signed Max.
In 1986/87, Peter Max put up most of the financing for my friend's comic book company, with the only condition being that he had to obtain the rights to The Honeymooners and publish a comic of them. The company shut down after only producing a few books.
In the 1990s, an unsuccessful Atlantic City casino owner hired him to build a large mural on the fencing around the recently torn-down World's Fair casino. Max sketched it and sent an army of interns to do the actual painting. The casino owner, whom I'll call Ronald, wasn't happy with the result, had it removed, and sued to get his money back. Max had demanded, and got, paid up front.
I hadn't heard he died, but he'd been ill for years. He had kept an office in the World Trade Center, and after they fell, there was a rumor that much of his personal artwork was lost, creating a temporary spike in the value of his remaining work.
As a kid, I really liked his psychedelic-era artwork, and I admired him for all the charity work he did, especially concerning the rainforests.
Rest in Peace.
link to original post



You sure it was Peter Max and not some other artist? Google says ther was no meaningful contact between Max and The Ronald.
link to original post



When the Ronald tore down the World's Fair, he posted a big billboard on the beach announcing the world's biggest casino was to be built there. He commissioned Max to create a mural for the fencing. I had some photos of the signs but they were lost years ago.
link to original post



From Google AI:

Quote:

No, Peter Max did not create a mural for a Donald Trump casino.
While the iconic pop artist Peter Max was famous for large-scale public commissions—such as painting a Boeing 777 jet for Continental Airlines, the hull of a Norwegian Cruise Line ship, and U.S. border welcome murals—there is no record of him designing or painting a mural for any of Trump's former Atlantic City casino properties (such as Trump Plaza, Trump's Castle, or the Trump Taj Mahal).
Other popular contemporary artists of that era, such as LeRoy Neiman, frequently had their sports and celebrity-themed artwork associated with high-profile events at properties like Trump Plaza, which may be the source of the mix-up.
If you are trying to identify a specific piece of art or another artist associated with a Trump casino, please let me know:
• Which Atlantic City casino property you are thinking of (e.g., Plaza, Taj Mahal, Castle)
• A brief description of the mural's subject matter (e.g., sports, celebrities, psychedelic patterns)
I can help you pinpoint the correct artist or artwork!



Quote:

The World's Fair Casino in Atlantic City featured 30 historical world's fair murals painted by artist Mr. Irvin and his assistant Susan Daly in a Social Realist style.
Mural Details
• Commission: Donald Trump commissioned the murals when converting the Trump Regency Hotel (part of Trump Plaza) into the World's Fair Casino.
• Creation: Working daily from November onward, Irvin and Susan Daly spent two days sketching from period photographs and research, then three to four days painting each canvas.
• Style and Size: The canvases ranged from 5 by 9 feet to 18 by 20 feet, styled in a Social Realist manner reminiscent of Thomas Hart Benton to represent global expositions and world's fairs throughout history.
If you're looking for more details on specific world's fairs depicted or the history of the Atlantic City property, let me know how I can narrow it down!


link to original post




Those were the murals in the casino. I mean the mural meant to wrap around the construction site. It was never done because the construction of the world's greatest casino, as announced in 1999, never happened. Ronald ended up selling the 10 acres or so to bruce Toll at the same time he was bragging about building the biggest casino on the spot. I think it still sits empty 25 years later.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 4:31:43 PM permalink
The 40 x 230 mural was originally intended for Trump's World Fair, but after numerous delays, it was installed on the wall of the boardwalk convention center, which Trump claimed was part of Trump Plaza whenever it hosted fights or WrestleMania. it was finished in 2003 and stood for about ten years before storm damage caused its removal.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 6th, 2026 at 4:42:50 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The 40 x 230 mural was originally intended for Trump's World Fair, but after numerous delays, it was installed on the wall of the boardwalk convention center, which Trump claimed was part of Trump Plaza whenever it hosted fights or WrestleMania. it was finished in 2003 and stood for about ten years before storm damage caused its removal.
link to original post



Found ths article:

https://atlanticcityweekly.com/arts_and_entertainment/peter-to-the-max/article_3374a3e1-e1d4-5ec9-9ce3-632206dc95c8.html

Quote:

Last year, Max received a call from a public relations firm asking him to do the mural. "I was thrilled. My friend who handles all of my public relations, David Kass, brought me this wonderful news. So, I was thrilled." So was the Atlantic City Boardwalk Committee and its chairman, Pinky Kravitz. The committee has made beautifying the Boardwalk a priority and Max's offer to work for only the costs of reproduction, materials and installation (approximately $20,000) made the project even more appealing. The mural covers the West Hall's oceanfront wall, which was once hidden by the Trump World's Fair Casino Hotel. After the demolition of the building in 1999, the wall was exposed and has since been a lingering eyesore.



Article mentions nothing about The Ronald being the patron, or any dispute over the mural at all.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31620
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
October 6th, 2026 at 5:49:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The 40 x 230 mural was originally intended for Trump's World Fair, but after numerous delays, it was installed on the wall of the boardwalk convention center, which Trump claimed was part of Trump Plaza whenever it hosted fights or WrestleMania. it was finished in 2003 and stood for about ten years before storm damage caused its removal.
link to original post



"The 40 by 230-foot mural originally intended for the Trump World's Fair hotel and casino space in Atlantic City was a massive work titled Our Love Letter to Cleveland, created by artist Gary Dumm."

What does any of this have to do with Peter Max
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31620
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
October 6th, 2026 at 6:22:25 PM permalink
Jim Bakker grew up about 45 miles from me and I was always aware of him when he became famous. He used to preach that God has a plan for everybody, even you. I often thought after he was convicted and sentenced to 45 years in prison I often thought to myself, gee Jim, how do you like God's plan for you? Making lots of new friends? He ended up only spending five years in prison but I bet it seemed like a long longer than that because he didn't know when he was getting out.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21509
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 6th, 2026 at 7:03:56 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: billryan

The 40 x 230 mural was originally intended for Trump's World Fair, but after numerous delays, it was installed on the wall of the boardwalk convention center, which Trump claimed was part of Trump Plaza whenever it hosted fights or WrestleMania. it was finished in 2003 and stood for about ten years before storm damage caused its removal.
link to original post



Found ths article:

https://atlanticcityweekly.com/arts_and_entertainment/peter-to-the-max/article_3374a3e1-e1d4-5ec9-9ce3-632206dc95c8.html

Quote:

Last year, Max received a call from a public relations firm asking him to do the mural. "I was thrilled. My friend who handles all of my public relations, David Kass, brought me this wonderful news. So, I was thrilled." So was the Atlantic City Boardwalk Committee and its chairman, Pinky Kravitz. The committee has made beautifying the Boardwalk a priority and Max's offer to work for only the costs of reproduction, materials and installation (approximately $20,000) made the project even more appealing. The mural covers the West Hall's oceanfront wall, which was once hidden by the Trump World's Fair Casino Hotel. After the demolition of the building in 1999, the wall was exposed and has since been a lingering eyesore.



Article mentions nothing about The Ronald being the patron, or any dispute over the mural at all.


An hour or two ago, you couldn't find any connection between trump.ac and Peter. You thought it might have been a Leroy Neiman mural. You've made good progress. If you dig deeper, I'm sure the dispute about the art students applying stencils will pop up.
Pinky Kravitz was a local AC DJ and gossip columnist. He was a columinist for the paper you quoted. I'll have to look up the Atlantic City Boardwalk committee, I'm not familiar with that group.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 6th, 2026 at 7:24:16 PM permalink
When you find supporting evidence that The Ronald sued Max over your alleged mural, then let us know. The burden is yours to prove your facts.

From google AI:

Q: Did Donald Trump hire Peter Max for an Atlantic City mural?

A: No, Donald Trump did not hire Peter Max to create a mural in Atlantic City.
While both Donald Trump and pop artist Peter Max left significant marks on Atlantic City, they did so independently:
• The Boardwalk Hall Mural: The famous 40-by-200-foot Peter Max mural that used to adorn the exterior of West Hall was commissioned by the Atlantic City Convention and Visitors Authority, not Donald Trump. The massive artwork greeted pedestrians along the boardwalk until it suffered weather damage from a nor'easter.
• Trump's Artists: When Donald Trump commissioned murals for his Atlantic City casinos—such as the Trump Taj Mahal or Trump Plaza—he notably relied on other artists. Most prominently, he hired artist Jon Irvin to paint numerous social realist, World's Fair-inspired murals for his properties, earning Irvin the local nickname "Trump's Michelangelo."
If you would like to explore more about this topic, please let me know if you want to look into Trump's casino art collection, the history of Boardwalk Hall, or details regarding Peter Max's other public art projects.

Q: Did Donald Trump ever sue Peter Max?

A: No public records or reliable news reports show that Donald Trump ever sued the pop artist Peter Max.
If you are thinking of a specific lawsuit, a business dispute, or a different person named Peter (such as Peter Navarro or Peter Noah), let me know so I can give you the correct details!
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh 
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1444
Joined: Aug 4, 2022
October 6th, 2026 at 7:44:14 PM permalink
Eva Marie Saint, actress, 102. She was married for 65 years until her husband died in 2016.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 444
  • Posts: 31620
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
October 6th, 2026 at 7:53:40 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Eva Marie Saint, actress, 102. She was married for 65 years until her husband died in 2016.
link to original post

]'

I loved her with Cary Grant in North by Northwest I bet I've seen that movie 20 times. What a doll she was

Last edited by: EvenBob on Oct 6, 2026
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 244
  • Posts: 15158
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 7th, 2026 at 7:36:20 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Quote: billryan

Quote: GenoDRPh

Noted artist Peter Max, 88, on September 14 of this year, If you are thinking about buying one as an investment since he's kicked the bucket, be aware of the following tidbit. He stopped painting in 2012. But his studio kept hiring ghost painters at minimum wage to make Peter Max-like paintings, and he was trotted in to sign them since he had dementia.
link to original post



I own a couple of original Peter Max pieces that I bought in the 1990s. He'd take a small litho of his work, an 8x10, and he'd paste it to a 12x18 sheet of artistic paper and then doodle on the outer piece, turning a $20 litho into a thousand-dollar original, signed Max.
In 1986/87, Peter Max put up most of the financing for my friend's comic book company, with the only condition being that he had to obtain the rights to The Honeymooners and publish a comic of them. The company shut down after only producing a few books.
In the 1990s, an unsuccessful Atlantic City casino owner hired him to build a large mural on the fencing around the recently torn-down World's Fair casino. Max sketched it and sent an army of interns to do the actual painting. The casino owner, whom I'll call Ronald, wasn't happy with the result, had it removed, and sued to get his money back. Max had demanded, and got, paid up front.
I hadn't heard he died, but he'd been ill for years. He had kept an office in the World Trade Center, and after they fell, there was a rumor that much of his personal artwork was lost, creating a temporary spike in the value of his remaining work.
As a kid, I really liked his psychedelic-era artwork, and I admired him for all the charity work he did, especially concerning the rainforests.
Rest in Peace.
link to original post



You sure it was Peter Max and not some other artist? Google says ther was no meaningful contact between Max and The Ronald.
link to original post



When the Ronald tore down the World's Fair, he posted a big billboard on the beach announcing the world's biggest casino was to be built there. He commissioned Max to create a mural for the fencing. I had some photos of the signs but they were lost years ago.
link to original post



Who is "the Ronald?"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: