Thread Rating:

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 42
May 2nd, 2022 at 7:00:13 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

No cause of death was immediately given, although in a statement daughters Wynonna Judd and Ashley Judd attributed their mother’s death to “the disease of mental illness.”

In a sad follow-up, it's been confirmed that Naomi Judd took her own life.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1428
May 2nd, 2022 at 7:47:37 PM permalink

No cause of death was immediately given, although in a statement daughters Wynonna Judd and Ashley Judd attributed their mother’s death to “the disease of mental illness.”

In a sad follow-up, it's been confirmed that Naomi Judd took her own life.
link to original post

That's sad, but what I was expecting. What else could it be?

Quote: Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic

Dear Mister Fantasy play us a tune
Something to make us all happy
Do anything take us out of this gloom
Sing a song, play guitar
Make it snappy
You are the one who can make us all laugh
But doing that you break out in tears
Please don't be sad if it was a straight mind you had
We wouldn't have known you all these years

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Gialmere
Gialmere
May 4th, 2022 at 7:44:13 PM permalink
Quote: Lewis {Burt Reynolds} "Deliverance" (1972)

Do know what's gonna be here? Right here? A lake. As far as the eyes can see. Hundreds of feet deep. HUNDREDS of feet deep. Did you ever look out over a lake and think of somethin' buried underneath it? Buried underneath it. Well man, that's just about as buried as you can get.

Ever wonder what you might find at the bottom of a large body of water a short drive from a town like Vegas?

This is not an actual celebrity death, but rather a death that has achieved (at least minor) celebrity level attention over the last few days.

You've probably heard that the water level of Lake Mead has been dropping for the last 20 or 30 years. (In fact, the workers at Hoover Dam just opened a new pumping station way down at the current surface area to keep operations running smoothly, for now.) Well, as you might guess, when a lake's waters recede things start getting revealed. Sometimes they're unpleasant things. The body of a man was discovered a few days ago. He had been shot to death, stuffed into a barrel and then boated out onto Lake Mead and dumped. This murder seems to have occurred several decades ago when the surface level was much higher. Authorities have a good idea of the time since the man's shoes were a make sold at K-Mart stores back in the mid-to-late 70's.

Who was this man? Why was he killed? Was it a mob hit? (The mob was certainly still around in those days.) Was he a drug dealer? Was he fooling around with another man's wife? Authorities are now asking these questions, but they also wonder how many more "fun" discoveries will be dumped into their laps as the level of the lake gets lower and lower and...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actor David Birney died last Friday at his home in Santa Monica. He was 83. Cause of death is described as being from Alzheimer’s disease.

Birney was an often seen face on 70's and 80's TV. He guested on the usual shows of the "Love Boat"/"Fantasy Island" type. He starred in a few failed series and also was a lead character on the first season of "St. Elsewhere" but left to appear as Antonio Salieri in Peter Shaffer’s Tony-winning “Amadeus” on Broadway. He was married to Meredith Baxter (aka Meredith Baxter-Birney) who famously played the mom on the hit show “Family Ties.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Sunday it was announced that drummer Ric Parnell died. He was 70. No cause of death was made available.

Parnell came from a musical family. His grandfather Russ Carr was a music hall artist and his dad, Jack Parnell, served as the bandleader for “The Muppet Show.” Parnell himself was in many bands and was a studio musician appearing on many albums. But his big break came in 1984 when Parnell, alongside actor-musicians Michael McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer portrayed the fictional rock band Spinal Tap on the big screen. The group became a real act, releasing albums, touring and even appearing on “Saturday Night Live.” A running gag in the film is how the band's many drummers all died bizarre deaths. Parnell's drummer character, Mick Shrimpton, spontaneously explodes at the end of the movie.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 5th, 2022 at 4:32:22 AM permalink

Actor David Birney died last Friday at his home in Santa Monica. He was 83. Cause of death is described as being from Alzheimer’s disease.

I recall him as the dad on Oh, God Book 2.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
May 5th, 2022 at 5:45:59 AM permalink
Birney was the radio voice of Darth Vader.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Gialmere
Gialmere
May 6th, 2022 at 6:18:55 PM permalink

Time for another trivial walk among the tombstones...

General
1) What's the difference between a graveyard and a cemetery?

2) What's the difference between a headstone, a gravestone and a tombstone?

3) In general, graves are oriented to face in which direction?

4) What is a taphophile?

History
5) Who lived in Arlington House before the estate became a military cemetery?

6) Where on earth are you if you're looking at the "Graveyard in the Clouds"?

7) The remains of six million people can be found in what famous ossuaries beneath Paris?

8) Which of the "New Seven Wonders of the World" was the only structure built for dead people?

Symbols
9) A crying angel adorning a grave symbolizes what?

10) What animal is often seen on a young child's grave marker?

11) What does a cenotaph symbolize?

12) What is the symbolic meaning of the various coins left on a military grave?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
May 6th, 2022 at 7:34:05 PM permalink
Tough quiz! I feel stupid after taking it, which is always my goal when making one ;-).

Here is about the best I can do.

1. Probably wrong, but I think a graveyard has tombstones and a cemetery (I can never remember how to spell that) has the flat markers.
2. A headstone doesn't stick out from the ground, like a gravestone. You tend to see gravestones on the east coast and headstones on the west coast. I guess a tombstone would mark a tomb, but tombs are not popular in the US, so don't know much about them. Partial credit?
3. I'll guess west.
4 ?
5 Robert E. Lee (I took the tour)
6. Err. Somehow I think I have heard this.
7. The Catacombs. I've been there.

Lighting is awful there for pictures.

8. Ankor Wat (sp?)
9. The deceased died young?
10. Lamb (you see that in Utah cemeteries a lot)
11. No clue
12. I just came from Hawaii and saw that a lot. I think it's a Chinese thing, where you leave or burn money on one's grave, to give them spending money in the afterlife.

Again, good quiz! May I adopt some of the questions for a future WoO newsletter?
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
Gialmere
May 6th, 2022 at 7:46:49 PM permalink

Time for another trivial walk among the tombstones...

General
1) What's the difference between a graveyard and a cemetery?

2) What's the difference between a headstone, a gravestone and a tombstone?

3) In general, graves are oriented to face in which direction?

4) What is a taphophile?

History
5) Who lived in Arlington House before the estate became a military cemetery?

6) Where on earth are you if you're looking at the "Graveyard in the Clouds"?

7) The remains of six million people can be found in what famous ossuaries beneath Paris?

8) Which of the "New Seven Wonders of the World" was the only structure built for dead people?

Symbols
9) A crying angel adorning a grave symbolizes what?

10) What animal is often seen on a young child's grave marker?

11) What does a cenotaph symbolize?

12) What is the symbolic meaning of the various coins left on a military grave?
link to original post

I only know number 11--a cenotaph memorializes the death of a person. However, if the person's body still exists, it's in a totally different location up to halfway around the world from the cenotaph.
Gialmere
Gialmere
May 7th, 2022 at 2:23:09 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

May I adopt some of the questions for a future WoO newsletter?
link to original post

You bet. Also...

The reason #6 rings a bell for the Wizard is that it has to do with one of his hobbies.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Gialmere
May 7th, 2022 at 7:14:41 PM permalink

The reason #6 rings a bell for the Wizard is that it has to do with one of his hobbies.[/spoiler]
link to original post

Mount Everest

• Jump to: