LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
November 2nd, 2018 at 8:57:10 AM permalink
Well, alrighty then. US Customs staff have begun denying entry to Canadians who say they use (or at some previous time, used) cannibus. At least, that's the report from Saskatchewan according to this story:

Canadian Pot Users Refused US Entry

Appears there may be far fewer Canadians at the next WSOP if this "Have you ever used marijuana?" policy continues. Attorneys in Canada advise travelers to refuse to answer that question. They may get turned away, but they won't be banned for life (which might occur if a traveler is found to have lied about previous pot use).
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
November 2nd, 2018 at 10:27:59 AM permalink
Elections have consequences.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AlexR
AlexR
  • Threads: 5
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:07:29 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Elections have consequences.

I really doubt anyone in Canada has only started smoking weed because of legalization.

Imagine the situation was reversed. How would Americans feel if Canada banned people from entering if they had ever used an AR-15 or a handgun outside of a licenced gun range?
"At gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck." —Ian Fleming
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
JohnnyQ
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:34:15 PM permalink
I don't think many here or in America would agree with this policy. Smoking marijuana by itself is not illegal, depends on the time and the place.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 2nd, 2018 at 12:35:23 PM permalink
The article talked about crossing into N. Dakota, where pot is not legal.

What about crossing into Washington, where it is legal?

Yeah, I know, it's technically illegal under federal law, but it seems silly to deny entry into Washington state to a Canadian when weed is legal in Washington (under state law).

As John Mayall once sang: "The Laws Must Change."
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1489
Thanked by
ams288
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:39:05 PM permalink
My advice to Canadians is simple, just say "no" when asked this question.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:39:32 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The article talked about crossing into N. Dakota, where pot is not legal.

What about crossing into Washington, where it is legal?

Yeah, I know, it's technically illegal under federal law, but it seems silly to deny entry into Washington state to a Canadian when weed is legal in Washington (under state law).

As John Mayall once sang: "The Laws Must Change."

Not necessary to change the laws, jut the morons enforcing them. Just what we need in this time of crisis. An invasion of pot smoking canuckleheads threatening our northern border. I say treat joints as if they were rifles.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:49:46 PM permalink
The question strikes me as an invasion of privacy. Medical information is strictly private. For some, MJ is a legal medication. Can border people ask questions regarding medications taken in the past?
I disagree with ALL your gambling stories! That's allowed here, to disagree! The Mission data proves it ! You want me to make a different assessment based on that data? It's just a coincidence that you always win? At least Know Thyself and don’t try to claim otherwise!!!
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 1:56:10 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Lying to a Federal Agent is a crime in and of itself. Every time I purchase, at a legal dispensary, the information is recorded and who knows who it is shared with. I've been told the police in Nevada can search these purchases and revoke the concealed weapons permit of anyone who purchases. Who knows where else it goes.
I'm not concerned about who sees it but I wouldn't be dishonest about it.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 2nd, 2018 at 2:01:47 PM permalink

They should say, "not that I remember".
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 2nd, 2018 at 3:01:37 PM permalink

Lying to a Federal Agent is a crime in and of itself. Every time I purchase, at a legal dispensary, the information is recorded and who knows who it is shared with. I've been told the police in Nevada can search these purchases and revoke the concealed weapons permit of anyone who purchases. Who knows where else it goes.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, maybe it's not really a duck. Can you really ever be sure marijuana is marijuana, maybe it's something green and not marijuana, maybe you bought it, have a license, but never had smoked it. Maybe you wanted to, but threw it away in the garbage disposal, just because you felt morally wrong to smoke it.
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan 
November 2nd, 2018 at 3:09:10 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, maybe it's not really a duck. Can you really ever be sure marijuana is marijuana, maybe it's something green and not marijuana, maybe you bought it, have a license, but never had smoked it. Maybe you wanted to, but threw it away in the garbage disposal, just because you felt morally wrong to smoke it.

I suppose there is the small possibility that they are laughing with you and not at you. Keep hope alive.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 259
November 2nd, 2018 at 4:09:59 PM permalink
im not allowed into canada and its annoying
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
November 2nd, 2018 at 4:47:31 PM permalink

Canada would never turn their records over to anyone from the US now that they’ve tried this crap.

My first thought is to answer “I have never used illegal drugs.” If they keep pushing I would eventually say “no.” I commend any Canadians who follow that. But won’t give any advice on the subject
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 2nd, 2018 at 7:01:44 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

im not allowed into canada

Oh, you mean "America lite?"
"What, me worry?"
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
November 2nd, 2018 at 7:44:54 PM permalink
I really like how people come out of the woodwork to claim "honesty" when dealing with the government goon squad. 😉
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
November 2nd, 2018 at 10:53:33 PM permalink
Quote: AlexR

I really doubt anyone in Canada has only started smoking weed because of legalization.

Imagine the situation was reversed. How would Americans feel if Canada banned people from entering if they had ever used an AR-15 or a handgun outside of a licenced gun range?

Ermm...FYI when driving into Canada they do ask you if you own a gun in the US. (They asked me, on two separate trips.) Of course you should lie and say that you don't own one so that they don't deny your entry into Canada.
AlexR
AlexR
November 2nd, 2018 at 11:50:34 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Ermm...FYI when driving into Canada they do ask you if you own a gun in the US. (They asked me, on two separate trips.) Of course you should lie and say that you don't own one so that they don't deny your entry into Canada.

Is this a joke? They just want to ensure that you haven't brought a handgun (unless you're a sport shooter traveling to a competition), and that you've declared any rifles or shotguns.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 3rd, 2018 at 5:25:35 AM permalink
Canada will deny entry to Americans for things like having a DUI. Each side has what they consider a bigger issue to allow/deny entry.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
November 3rd, 2018 at 6:25:31 AM permalink
I’ve crossed the border into Canada many many times to gamble at Caesars Windsor and they asked me if I own a gun only one time.

But yeah, I agree with Wiz. Just say “no” when they ask if you smoke weed.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:28:31 AM permalink

Well, I am not going to feel guilty about lying in answer to a question where the information is none of the asker's business. I doubt anybody is going to care about what I may purchase at the dispensary.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:32:14 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Everybody gets asked when entering any country, it seems to me, whether the trip is for business or vacation. Everybody answers vacation, regardless of the truth. Once in my younger days I checked "business" when entering Canada through the Toronto airport. I won't go through the whole story, but it was as if nobody had ever checked "business" before, they send me to a big room with nobody in it and then make me fill out lots of forms and pay a big fee to do business in Canada. They told me I was lucky to get in at all, as I didn't have the pre-authorization forms I was supposed, which was true. That was the last time I made that mistake to check "business." Since then, every time I enter Canada I seem to get extra scrutiny, but they always let me in.

My point being that this is a question people lie about probably routinely and everybody knows it.
billryan
billryan 
November 3rd, 2018 at 9:08:32 AM permalink

Everybody gets asked when entering any country, it seems to me, whether the trip is for business or vacation. Everybody answers vacation, regardless of the truth. Once in my younger days I checked "business" when entering Canada through the Toronto airport. I won't go through the whole story, but it was as if nobody had ever checked "business" before, they send me to a big room with nobody in it and then make me fill out lots of forms and pay a big fee to do business in Canada. They told me I was lucky to get in at all, as I didn't have the pre-authorization forms I was supposed, which was true. That was the last time I made that mistake to check "business." Since then, every time I enter Canada I seem to get extra scrutiny, but they always let me in.

My point being that this is a question people lie about probably routinely and everybody knows it.

I must say I'm pretty surprised by your answer. I never would have guessed you would favor situational honesty.
Anyone can be honest when there are no consequences.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
November 3rd, 2018 at 9:51:58 AM permalink
Couldn't you just use a loophole and say,"I will not answer yes or no" Even if you did smoke pot, technically you haven't answered yes or no, so they can't pin anything on you so you're in the clear.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 3rd, 2018 at 10:47:52 AM permalink

I must say I'm pretty surprised by your answer. I never would have guessed you would favor situational honesty.
Anyone can be honest when there are no consequences.

I think almost everyone subscribes to situational honesty. It is just where you draw the line that varies. Did you see the movie Inglourious Basterds? If so, do you remember the scene where the French farmer was asked if he knew anything about the Jewish family he was hiding in his hidden basement? If so, how would a moral person answer that question?

Quote: Nathan

Couldn't you just use a loophole and say,"I will not answer yes or no" Even if you did smoke pot, technically you haven't answered yes or no, so they can't pin anything on you so you're in the clear.

They probably will say, "If you want to enter the U.S., then we'll need a "yes" or "no" answer." I suppose a super honest person just wouldn't enter then, but what does it gain anybody?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
November 3rd, 2018 at 10:57:05 AM permalink
"Yes but I didnt inhale"

"I was so high I honestly dont remember"

"I may have had Cannabis once when I was stranded in the jungle with all those Cannibals"
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan 
November 3rd, 2018 at 11:08:02 AM permalink
As Mr Churchill supposedly said- we have already determined what you are. We are now haggling over the price.
I was taught that everytime you lie, the next lie comes easier. When people get to the point where routinely lying ,simply for convenience sale, becomes the norm, that society's best days are behind it.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
November 3rd, 2018 at 11:18:05 AM permalink
Nathan
Nathan
November 3rd, 2018 at 12:35:29 PM permalink

I think almost everyone subscribes to situational honesty. It is just where you draw the line that varies. Did you see the movie Inglourious Basterds? If so, do you remember the scene where the French farmer was asked if he knew anything about the Jewish family he was hiding in his hidden basement? If so, how would a moral person answer that question?

They probably will say, "If you want to enter the U.S., then we'll need a "yes" or "no" answer." I suppose a super honest person just wouldn't enter then, but what does it gain anybody?

It does no one any good. Pot is a damn PLANT! A PLANT. If I took some actual grass and lit it up like a cigarette and smoked it like a cigarette, no one would deny me entry to another Country for doing that. Sure I'd get some,"This person is a weirdo," looks but I would still be allowed into another Country even after smoking actual grass.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Keyser
Keyser
November 3rd, 2018 at 1:24:06 PM permalink

It does no one any good. Pot is a damn PLANT! A PLANT. If I took some actual grass and lit it up like a cigarette and smoked it like a cigarette, no one would deny me entry to another Country for doing that. Sure I'd get some,"This person is a weirdo," looks but I would still be allowed into another Country even after smoking actual grass.

Ermm FYI... You're not allowed to bring plants or produce across the borders either. (Unless you're an approved importer of course.)

I look at this way, the pot question is kind of like the USA's way of getting them on the gun question. Besides the US has been a bit pissed off over the unfair trade that we had for several years. Fortunately Trump finally negotiated a much better North American Trade Deal.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 3rd, 2018 at 1:28:47 PM permalink

When people get to the point where routinely lying ,simply for convenience sale, becomes the norm, that society's best days are behind it.

How about arguing for the sake of argument? That's what it seems you are doing. And are we supposed to believe you are the reincarnation of Honest Abe or can't-tell-a-lie George Washington? [fantastical qualities ascribed by legend no doubt anyway]

I'll give you credit for bringing up the over-reaching law about lying to a federal agent though
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
Boz
November 3rd, 2018 at 1:43:40 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

How about arguing for the sake of argument? That's what it seems you are doing. And are we supposed to believe you are the reincarnation of Honest Abe or can't-tell-a-lie George Washington? [fantastical qualities ascribed by legend no doubt anyway]

I'll give you credit for bringing up the over-reaching law about lying to a federal agent though

Am I the last honest person? I certainly hope not.
I am amazed how easily people choose to tell little white lies when the truth is just as easy. Suggesting someone lie to a Federal Officer is disrespectful to our country and our way of life. A lock can stop a thief. Stopping a lie is harder.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 3rd, 2018 at 2:41:21 PM permalink
Clearly, what we need is a wall along the Canadian border.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan 
November 3rd, 2018 at 3:09:30 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Clearly, what we need is a wall along the Canadian border.

Only if Mexico pays for it. As JFK airport historically has been the POE for many illegals entering the country, maybe we should just shut it down.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 3rd, 2018 at 5:42:24 PM permalink

I am amazed how easily people choose to tell little white lies when the truth is just as easy. Suggesting someone lie to a Federal Officer is disrespectful to our country and our way of life. A lock can stop a thief. Stopping a lie is harder.

One of the few things we have ever agreed upon.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
November 3rd, 2018 at 6:30:50 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

One of the few things we have ever agreed upon.

Everytime my house was burglarized my doors and windows were locked
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Nathan
Nathan
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:27:07 PM permalink
Quote:

They could have used a credit card to get in your locked home. :/
Nathan
Nathan
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:27:09 PM permalink
Quote:

They could have used a credit card to get in your locked home. :/
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:42:05 PM permalink
I cross over regularly from Niagara falls ont to Niagara falls ny and have yet to be asked......you would be pretty stupid to answer yes though.
get second you pig
Nathan
Nathan
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:51:51 PM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

I cross over regularly from Niagara falls ont to Niagara falls ny and have yet to be asked......you would be pretty stupid to answer yes though.

If you answer "No," and they later found out you lied you can get into big trouble. Kind of like knowing you are guilty and you plead Not Guilty only to be convicted and found Guilty and getting sentenced to 55 years in prison rather than pleading Guilty and only being sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Nathan
Nathan
November 4th, 2018 at 3:07:50 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/canadian-pot-smokers-not-welcome-at-the-border-u-s-customs-and-border-protection

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/amnesties-for-canadian-pot-convictions-useless-at-border-u-s-customs

But U.S Customs has been obsolete since like 1996 according to Google. It's TSA now.
AlexR
AlexR
November 4th, 2018 at 8:57:38 PM permalink

But U.S Customs has been obsolete since like 1996 according to Google. It's TSA now.

They're separate agencies under the Department of Homeland Security. The TSA is the airport security agency and also oversees the Air Marshal Service. Customs and Border Protection is responsible for customs stations and border security.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 261
November 5th, 2018 at 3:26:00 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/canadian-pot-smokers-not-welcome-at-the-border-u-s-customs-and-border-protection

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/amnesties-for-canadian-pot-convictions-useless-at-border-u-s-customs

First article says:

In late-September, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection responded with an unambiguous public statement: anyone even admitting to having toked up at some point in their life “is inadmissible to the United States.”

This is so STUPID. And what bothers me most is that it is so HYPOCRITICAL when the population of the US is one of the biggest markets for real drugs. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
billryan
billryan 
November 5th, 2018 at 9:27:43 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

First article says:

In late-September, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection responded with an unambiguous public statement: anyone even admitting to having toked up at some point in their life “is inadmissible to the United States.”

This is so STUPID. And what bothers me most is that it is so HYPOCRITICAL when the population of the US is one of the biggest markets for real drugs. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID.

WE have a government currently run by morons and you think their policies are stupid? Go figure. Maybe they should start asking that question to returning US citizens.
Nathan
Nathan
November 5th, 2018 at 6:31:56 PM permalink
So, in Canada, "I tried pot one time when I was a rebellious 15 year old," can get me banned from entering The U.S. as a 34 year old adult? As my ex manager once said to a lying attempted shoplifter, "Get out of here!" Pot is nowhere near as bad as Heroin, Flakka, Molly, Ecstacy, Speed, Cocaine, Crack. Those are some bad drugs. But come on? Pot? Pot is harmless compared to the dirty 7.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
November 5th, 2018 at 7:45:21 PM permalink
In short, if you are not a US citizen and are trying to enter the US, yes.

The rest of that post is an example of the logical fallacy of relative privation, aka "not as bad as"

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_as_bad_as
AlexR
AlexR
November 5th, 2018 at 8:42:43 PM permalink
Since Justin Trudeau, at least three of his cabinet ministers, and the leader of the opposition have all publicly admitted to smoking pot, will they be banned from the US as well?
Keyser
Keyser
November 5th, 2018 at 8:54:19 PM permalink
Trudeau come across as such a weak prime minister.
Nathan
Nathan
November 6th, 2018 at 3:36:59 AM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

In short, if you are not a US citizen and are trying to enter the US, yes.

The rest of that post is an example of the logical fallacy of relative privation, aka "not as bad as"

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_as_bad_as

IMHO, something trivial you did as a rebellious teenager shouldn't keep you from being granted access to the U.S as an adult. IMHO, as an adult, admitting you smoked pot as a rebellious teenager is in the same vein as,"I stole a bag of chips from Chevron when I was 15." See trivial.
  • Jump to: