bjtrack
bjtrack
  • Threads: 1
October 15th, 2010 at 3:02:26 PM permalink
I want to know if I should play in 3CP if I see one hole card and either know if its paint or not paint. I can't tell if its an ace or 2-10. The wizardofodds has posted what looks to be contradictory advice on this question.
"If all you know is that the dealer has a face card, then you should raise on Q-J-5 or better. If all you know is the dealer doesn't have a face card, then you should always raise, whether or not you can rule out the card being an ace, which you often can."
"If the player can categorize the dealer's card as an ace, 2-10, or face card, then the player advantage drops to 2.41%. My book incorrectly stated this was the advantage for the paint or not-paint situation. The player should not play at all if he can't distinguish an ace from a 2-10, because the house would have a 2.43% advantage. To any players who may have played paint or not-paint games because of my book, I deeply apologize for the error. "
Any help on this and what the odds are and strategy for this situation?
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
October 15th, 2010 at 3:38:49 PM permalink
Quote: bjtrack

I want to know if I should play in 3CP if I see one hole card and either know if its paint or not paint. I can't tell if its an ace or 2-10.

If all you can do is distinguish paint/non-paint, then you are losing ... the house has a 2.43% edge. Not good enough...

Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
October 15th, 2010 at 7:31:37 PM permalink
I stand by what is on my site. My book had an error, which you mentioned.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
bjtrack
bjtrack
  • Threads: 1
October 16th, 2010 at 3:37:48 PM permalink
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still confused by this quote "If all you know is the dealer doesn't have a face card, then you should always raise, whether or not you can rule out the card being an ace". Why would this happen if the house has a strong edge in a paint or non paint case?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
October 16th, 2010 at 5:55:55 PM permalink
Quote: bjtrack

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still confused by this quote "If all you know is the dealer doesn't have a face card, then you should always raise, whether or not you can rule out the card being an ace". Why would this happen if the house has a strong edge in a paint or non paint case?

That is just what the odds favor. To make a comparison, I could say you should hit a 12 against a 2 in blackjack, even though you can expect to lose money every time that situation occurs. The reason you hit is because you will lose MORE by standing.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 22nd, 2010 at 8:04:53 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
  • Jump to: