Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 20th, 2019 at 1:34:48 PM permalink
If that tweet dripped any more sarcasm, it would ruin your electronics.
Remember when a certain buffoon announced he was calling for a total and complete ban on Muslims until our Congress could figure out what the he'll was going on?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
Boztringlomane
January 20th, 2019 at 1:40:31 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

For weed and the environment, hard for most to argue with that!

It's a refreshing change from Ric Scott so far. I'm all for a Republican who governs sensibly. Hope he keeps it up.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 20th, 2019 at 1:40:53 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

That used to be true,, and people often did . Somewhat recently they changed the sick leave buy-out from 1 for 1 at your base rate to something less, trying to save themselves the big paycheck on retirement. That pretty much backfired on them, because people just started sicking out a lot once they were within range of retirement, in order to get full value of their banked SL.

I'm not sure how it's working now, but they tried to fire back with sick leave abuse discipline after that compensation change, and people trumped that by saying good luck with your ripoff of time I earned, here's my no-notice retirement paperwork. Enjoy spending OT money on my schedule. Etc.

But yeah, it's (was) very popular to retire with 1000+ hours of SL + 240 use or lose + 208 earned that year. You're "working" until Dec 31, but you're gone in, like, April. Sometimes people would take the SL+AL cashout, work their last day, and go out the door with 60k or so in their last check instead.

I am unaware of anything in the private sector that even comes close.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 20th, 2019 at 1:43:51 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I am unaware of anything in the private sector that even comes close.

It's one of the things they do to compensate for lower than market wages. There WERE private companies that offered this and better, but they've mostly cut those type things significantly, starting in the 80s.

However, you will find this and better throughout Europe, private and public sectors.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
BozRSRogerKint
January 20th, 2019 at 3:27:49 PM permalink
I watched the whole video with the catholic kids in the MAGA hats.

The kids really didn’t do anything. It was a group of black Islam Fundamentalists that were spewing hateful garbage.

I am not a conservative but I really think this is liberal media trying to spin a nothing video into MAGA hat wearers being racist.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 20th, 2019 at 3:31:21 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

The kids really didn’t do anything. It was a group of black Islam Fundamentalists that were spewing hateful garbage.

I am not a conservative but I really think this is liberal media trying to spin a nothing video into MAGA hat wearers being racist.

And it only adds to Trump’s “Fake News” stance. It’s been another bad week for journalism.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 20th, 2019 at 3:35:21 PM permalink

It's one of the things they do to compensate for lower than market wages. There WERE private companies that offered this and better, but they've mostly cut those type things significantly, starting in the 80s.

However, you will find this and better throughout Europe, private and public sectors.

I agree
I have a friend with the Labor dept that's a computer geek
He could make twice as much if he left the govt
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
RS
January 20th, 2019 at 3:35:41 PM permalink

Correct, they were singing a school song and we're approached by the militants beating on a drum. What all these people supporting Islam don't seem to understand is, if they had their way all women would be slaves. Be careful what you wish for.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 20th, 2019 at 3:36:17 PM permalink

And it only adds to Trump’s “Fake News” stance. It’s been another bad week for journalism.

“Journalism” *
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
RogerKintRS
January 20th, 2019 at 3:39:49 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I agree
I have a friend with the Labor dept that's a computer geek
He could make twice as much if he left the govt

But then he'd have to actually do some work and produce real results.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 20th, 2019 at 3:52:15 PM permalink

Pbbbbbbbbbfffff.

Incorrect and undeserved.
terapined
terapined
January 20th, 2019 at 3:56:35 PM permalink

True story
He was visiting me from Maryland. We were taking my camper to a music festival
I work from home and I was having problems connecting to my companies network securely
Our IT dept (we are huge by the way. My company is on the Dow Jones list) was working on my computer remotely for a week
They even swapped out a piece of equipment via fedex.
My friend took a look and solved the issue in about 30 min
Something about static vs dynamic setting regarding some computer communication setting that was causing the issue
MaxPen
MaxPen
January 20th, 2019 at 3:57:16 PM permalink

Pbbbbbbbbbfffff.

Incorrect and undeserved.

😀😀😀
One good thing is the taxpayer gets to call in the contractor making twice as much to fix his friend's mistakes. Plus his friend has the opportunity to graduate to that contractor position after he secures his paycheck for life from the taxpayer. Double dippin, triple dippin, etc. life is grand.
Of course, his friend will tell everyone who will listen how bad he has it and how much he sacrifices.
MaxPen
MaxPen
January 20th, 2019 at 4:05:24 PM permalink

True story
He was visiting me from Maryland. We were taking my camper to a music festival
I work from home and I was having problems connecting to my companies network securely
Our IT dept (we are huge by the way. My company is on the Dow Jones list) was working on my computer remotely for a week
They even swapped out a piece of equipment via fedex.
My friend took a look and solved the issue in about 30 min
Something about static vs dynamic setting regarding some computer communication setting that was causing the issue

Cream supposedly rises to the top. Sounds like you have a competent friend.
terapined
terapined
January 20th, 2019 at 4:29:58 PM permalink

Cream supposedly rises to the top. Sounds like you have a competent friend.

I hear the horror stories from him.
Govt employees essentially running side businesses out of their offices
His dept and floor have a bad rep
but
He's always been interested in climbing the ladder
The ladder climbers are the ones that work
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 20th, 2019 at 4:45:24 PM permalink

I hear the horror stories from him.
Govt employees essentially running side businesses out of their offices
His dept and floor have a bad rep
but
He's always been interested in climbing the ladder
The ladder climbers are the ones that work

In my particular department that's not true. The ladder climbers were the ones who scared themselves and others. If they could tie their shoes without tripping, they would get "promoted" into mgmt or staff just to get them away from the airplanes. They might or might not be able to do that job, but at least they weren't killing people.

Maybe 1 in 3 could actually run traffic.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 20th, 2019 at 5:36:25 PM permalink
Aren’t ATC just glorified crossing guards in front of schools? Your job is one thing: Make sure two planes don’t hit each other.

We need common sense resolutions to this kinda stuff. Just put up stop lights like you find at any intersection on the road. Ez

Okay, maybe I’m joking. But real talk — even though being an ATC would be easy for me, I can see how it’d be hard for many people (ok, again, joking :) ). But why does ATC have to be govt employees? Why can’t they just work for the airport (which should be privately owned) - same with TSA and whoever else? They’d still have to pass training, get licensed, etc.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 20th, 2019 at 6:03:09 PM permalink

I looked at all the additional footage I could find, but I'm not convinced either way. There's not enough footage for proper perspective.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
alteredstates
alteredstates
  • Threads: 0
January 20th, 2019 at 6:18:42 PM permalink

That used to be true,, and people often did . Somewhat recently they changed the sick leave buy-out from 1 for 1 at your base rate to something less, trying to save themselves the big paycheck on retirement. That pretty much backfired on them, because people just started sicking out a lot once they were within range of retirement, in order to get full value of their banked SL.

I'm not sure how it's working now, but they tried to fire back with sick leave abuse discipline after that compensation change, and people trumped that by saying good luck with your ripoff of time I earned, here's my no-notice retirement paperwork. Enjoy spending OT money on my schedule. Etc.

But yeah, it's (was) very popular to retire with 1000+ hours of SL + 240 use or lose + 208 earned that year. You're "working" until Dec 31, but you're gone in, like, April. Sometimes people would take the SL+AL cashout, work their last day, and go out the door with 60k or so in their last check instead.

This may not be uniform for all federal employees, but I believe now any unused sick time gets added to your service time for calculating your annuity when you retire. If you worked twenty years, and banked a year of sick time, you get credit for 21 years for purposes of computing your annuity.

Depending on your position and the agency you work for, you could have a dizzying array of options for PTO.

You could receive PTO as part of a performance award.

You could earn "credit hours." For example, you work ten hours Monday through Thursday, earning two credit hours each day. Then you could use those eight credit hours to take Friday off. You would not get away with doing this every week.

Someone needing to take time off for medical reasons, but low on sick time, could receive advanced sick leave. That same peson could also get approval to receive donations of PTO from other employees.

This is in addition to the accual every two weeks of 4 sick hours, 4-8 hours of annual, and ten federal holidays. Not to mention the holiday federal employees receive when a POTUS passes away.

The above isn't exhaustive, but I figure I've given the haters enough reasons to hate federal workers.
billryan
billryan
January 20th, 2019 at 6:34:42 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Aren’t ATC just glorified crossing guards in front of schools? Your job is one thing: Make sure two planes don’t hit each other.

We need common sense resolutions to this kinda stuff. Just put up stop lights like you find at any intersection on the road. Ez

Okay, maybe I’m joking. But real talk — even though being an ATC would be easy for me, I can see how it’d be hard for many people (ok, again, joking :) ). But why does ATC have to be govt employees? Why can’t they just work for the airport (which should be privately owned) - same with TSA and whoever else? They’d still have to pass training, get licensed, etc.

Offhand, I'd say that government agencies don't cut corners on expenses. Private companies would be for profit and the bottom line is as important as safety. Do you want your safety in the hands of the lowest bidder?
As government workers, they can't strike. That's kind of important when hundreds of thousands of lives can be affected.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mdh
mdh
January 20th, 2019 at 6:46:22 PM permalink
My wife as a teacher (oh) has accumulated 140 sick days and will get paid for 1/4 of them upon retirement. If one of her fellow teachers gets sick and uses all of their sick days she or anyone else can give said fellow teacher some of their sick days. I believe there might be a limit though.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
MaxPen
January 20th, 2019 at 7:35:43 PM permalink
Quote: RS

None if us use wands or wear reflective vests, no. Lol.

Couple reasons for ATC to be inherently govt.

The biggest is we are a large part of border protection, drug interdiction, etc. We are sworn to and immediately responsible to DOD in certain scenarios. We move the military, the President, and other heads of state, and a lot of it is sensitive or secret.

The almost-as-biggest is that we are non-partisan arbiters. Skies, runways, taxiways are limited resources. We do not favor any particular company or entity except for priority missions and emergencies. Any private company is going to be putting particular users above others for any of a multitude of reasons. We can stay neutral and be a resource for all users equally. First come, first served.

There are other reasons in both directions. Uniform training and proficiency requirements. No conflicts of interest. Aviation tax more than pays operating budget so why pay some other company more than that to run the same operation. Public ownership of a trillions dollar airspace system - no one is in a position to pay what it's worth, so if they sell it off, they will get pennies on the dollar and cheat the public.

It works ok for some other countries. But there is no country or group (ie Eurocontrol) that runs 1/10th of the traffic we do, and we do it with less controllers per aircraft than anyone else, too.

In China, it's 1 aircraft, 1 controller. Something similar in India. We work 20 at once routinely, I have personally worked more than 200 in a single hour many times. It's not that unusual to have to do that. Somewhat rare, but 100/hour is pretty routine.

Without whining, Gen public has no idea what a bargain we are, and they own us. And now we've been working for 30 days without being paid. (Yes, I'm retired, but I've been working to get the others their pay).

Please call your Senators and tell them to reopen the government. Or email them on their .government websites. It takes 3 minutes, tops. But the Senate offices are counting every call, and the pressure is starting to be effective.

Thanks.
alteredstates
alteredstates
January 20th, 2019 at 7:39:51 PM permalink

In my particular department that's not true. The ladder climbers were the ones who scared themselves and others. If they could tie their shoes without tripping, they would get "promoted" into mgmt or staff just to get them away from the airplanes. They might or might not be able to do that job, but at least they weren't killing people.

Maybe 1 in 3 could actually run traffic.

The Dilbert Principle rather than the Peter Principle.

In my experience I've far more often seen people reassigned rather than promoted to minimize the damage they could do.

One co-worker, a manager I'll call "25", had 25 years on the job and retirement on the horizon. As a result, 25 felt untouchable ("I've worked here 25 years. What's anyone gonna do?") and would freely confront, disrupt, and demean. You can imagine the complaints lodged against 25.

Upper managment, faced with this potential liability, reassigned 25. Who spent the final months before retirement making copies in the corner. Yes, they literally sent 25 to the corner, like a misbehaving child.

Though I can't vouch for the truth of the anonymous New York Times op-ed about Trump published last September, I can vouch that those kinds of workarounds occur in the public and private sector.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 20th, 2019 at 7:40:45 PM permalink
Quote: alteredstates

This may not be uniform for all federal employees, but I believe now any unused sick time gets added to your service time for calculating your annuity when you retire. If you worked twenty years, and banked a year of sick time, you get credit for 21 years for purposes of computing your annuity.

Depending on your position and the agency you work for, you could have a dizzying array of options for PTO.

You could receive PTO as part of a performance award.

You could earn "credit hours." For example, you work ten hours Monday through Thursday, earning two credit hours each day. Then you could use those eight credit hours to take Friday off. You would not get away with doing this every week.

Someone needing to take time off for medical reasons, but low on sick time, could receive advanced sick leave. That same peson could also get approval to receive donations of PTO from other employees.

This is in addition to the accual every two weeks of 4 sick hours, 4-8 hours of annual, and ten federal holidays. Not to mention the holiday federal employees receive when a POTUS passes away.

The above isn't exhaustive, but I figure I've given the haters enough reasons to hate federal workers.

Yeah, all that, too, but I was trying to keep it simple and answer the exact questions AoS was asking. He prefers it that way. Dizzying, complex, yup. And it changes nearly every year, usually for the worse.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
January 20th, 2019 at 8:51:51 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Quote: lilredrooster

even considering they were teenagers (they obviously get their BS from their parents) can you believe that 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒆 𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒎𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒑𝒊𝒅 to think that Native Americans are immigrants?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/us/covington-catholic-high-school-nathan-phillips.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

The actions of these young idiots are reprehensible.

Thankfully, idiots are not part of the vast majority of either side of the political aisle.

Perhaps I believed the earlier reports too quickly...there seems to be other idiots involved and the story changes. Someone said there was an hour or more of video. we'll see what comes of it.

I stand by this 100%...Thankfully, idiots are not part of the vast majority of either side of the political aisle.
RonC
RonC
January 21st, 2019 at 5:20:26 AM permalink
Most drugs come through ports of entry (as far as we know; I am not sure it can be proven unless we knew about all drugs actually brought in).

We have to defend thousands of miles of border because there is no barrier to entry.

Cameras and drones won't change that--people will still have to go find people once notified by electronics.

Cameras, drones, and other electronic surveillance equipment in conjunction with a barrier to entry will change things. People will still try to breach them, but it makes it a lot harder for them to do so.

Those resources would also have a tendency to funnel people in any given area towards entry at a...port of entry.

There should be barriers (well placed) to entry and barriers to illegal immigrants getting any kind of an advantage towards staying here over those who come in legally.

We should take care of DACA kids as part of the process of tightening our borders.

All foreign aid to the countries sending people our way should be slowed down until they help us control the problem in a humanitarian way. We should provide humanitarian aid to those countries who help make a difference in a humane way.

Companies need to be punished for using illegal labor. That is the dirty little not-so-secret that keeps some quiet on the issue--cheap labor. I am all for cheap labor but only as cheap as the supply of legal immigrants and citizens allows. That would include legal admissions for some to work here.

I am not against immigration...I am against illegal entry and overstaying visas in our country.
Boz
Boz
January 21st, 2019 at 7:14:57 AM permalink
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article224855785.html

Rest in Piece Ruthie Baby.

Obviously Fox has inside info. Looks like Trump is going to get to make more Liberal heads explode. And of course some nominee is going to get their life turned upside down.

Hate has no home here....Unless you support Trump, then rot in H##l Mother F*#$&R.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
January 21st, 2019 at 7:51:10 AM permalink
Since the government shutdown I'm zipping through TSA faster than ever at McCarran airport and another one. I was amazed how fast it was. I go though as fast as I can move myself. When I brought this up to one of the agents... he said, "ya, we are just doing things more efficiently now." Perhaps all the crappy lazy agents are calling in sick.

Is it somehow less safe? I have no idea.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 21st, 2019 at 7:52:21 AM permalink

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article224855785.html

Rest in Piece Ruthie Baby.

Obviously Fox has inside info. Looks like Trump is going to get to make more Liberal heads explode. And of course some nominee is going to get their life turned upside down.

Hate has no home here....Unless you support Trump, then rot in H##l Mother F*#$&R.

You're way over your skis, Boz. That could happen, but it hasn't. Someone flipped the wrong switch in the control room.

It's very common for news media to prepare, and keep updated, obit info in advance for many known public figures. I would bet a large amount of money, for example, that all major networks have standing files on RBG, Trump, Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip, Kirk Douglas, and Betty White, among many others. That could have been one slide among hundreds that was being updated from "2018" to "2019".

However much you wish her ill, I am countermanding it x2 for her continued recovery. So just move along with your bad karma.
RonC
RonC
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
January 21st, 2019 at 8:02:05 AM permalink

You're way over your skis, Boz. That could happen, but it hasn't. Someone flipped the wrong switch in the control room.

It's very common for news media to prepare, and keep updated, obit info in advance for many known public figures. I would bet a large amount of money, for example, that all major networks have standing files on RBG, Trump, Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip, Kirk Douglas, and Betty White, among many others. That could have been one slide among hundreds that was being updated from "2018" to "2019".

However much you wish her ill, I am countermanding it x2 for her continued recovery. So just move along with your bad karma.

I understand having obits ready and updated; it only makes sense.

Is it wrong to think triggering a graphic like that should be a little more difficult than "flipping the wrong switch?" I don't know how hard it is to go to air with that kind of graphic, but it seems like it should not be in the queue for airing until, well, it is time to air it. I know seconds matter in "being first" but being "pre-first" is not desirable for any news organization.

I am not a fan of the justice overall because I think she believes in a living constitution--which to me means we'll decide what it means to us today, not what it meant when written--but I wish death upon no one with the exception of some heinous criminals of various kinds.

At least they aren't standing by their reporting like BuzzKill!
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
BozRS
January 21st, 2019 at 8:10:03 AM permalink
Yeah, come on Boz, don't get prematurely excited over political news like Babs just did like yesterday LOL
100% risk of ruin
Boz
Boz
January 21st, 2019 at 8:56:53 AM permalink

Betty White dying? Blasphemy I say!
terapined
terapined
January 21st, 2019 at 9:04:45 AM permalink

Betty White dying? Blasphemy I say!

I remember the Paul McCartney is dead rumors
People back then were sure it was true.
The clues were on all the albums and some recordings
I remember talking to an older cousin about this and he confirmed the he was dead
Paul McCartney didn't care and remained out of the spotlight so that intensified the rumors
Life magazine finally went to his remote farm and insisted on an interview with him and take pictures because the world thought he was dead
That ended that rumor
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2019 at 9:36:41 AM permalink

I remember the Paul McCartney is dead rumors
People back then were sure it was true.
The clues were on all the albums and some recordings
I remember talking to an older cousin about this and he confirmed the he was dead
Paul McCartney didn't care and remained out of the spotlight so that intensified the rumors
Life magazine finally went to his remote farm and insisted on an interview with him and take pictures because the world thought he was dead
That ended that rumor

They actually had a tv special where they went over all the supposed clues. I forget the details but I think it was some sort of mock trial. It was an early case of a syndicated show, if I recall correctly. I'm half convinced the guy putting out music the last two decades simply cant be the same guy who changed the world.
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2019 at 10:15:17 AM permalink
Just watched trump giving a speech where he claimed that building a wall has made San Antonio one of the safest cities in the country. I guess the simple fact that the city is 150 miles away from the border has no bearing. Of course there was a time when Texicans choose to use walls for protection. Fearing a Mexican invasion, Texicans chose to strengthen the walls of the Mission San Antonio de Valero to fend off the invaders. Today, the world knows the mission as The Alamo, and those walls still stand. For all the good it did to the people who sought its protection.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 21st, 2019 at 10:22:19 AM permalink
The ten worst Russiagater story's : https://theintercept.com/2019/01/20/beyond-buzzfeed-the-10-worst-most-embarrassing-u-s-media-failures-on-the-trumprussia-story/

Fifty Russiagate story's that had to be corrected or removed: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-20/definitive-list-usuk-media-russiagate-fake-stories

added: Matt Taibbi, "Hate inc." https://taibbi.substack.com/

"There is a loophole that involves a procedural flaw in Western journalism’s fact-checking tradition. It’s gotten worse with time. The offending story type nearly always has the same elements:

It involves national security or law enforcement;

It’s sourced to unnamed officials;

The basic gist of the scoop is classified or otherwise unconfirmable."

Good to read Taibbi's book before the 2020 election.
Last edited by: petroglyph on Jan 21, 2019
terapined
terapined
January 21st, 2019 at 10:30:09 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

. Today, the world knows the mission as The Alamo, and those walls still stand. For all the good it did to the people who sought its protection.

Actually all the walls are all gone either due to nearby roads, buildings or parking lots.
The Alamo is right in downtown, valuable real estate
The key buildings remain
I visited and listened to the Park Service tour
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2019 at 10:38:41 AM permalink

Actually all the walls are all gone either due to nearby roads, buildings or parking lots.
The Alamo is right in downtown, valuable real estate
The key buildings remain
I visited and listened to the Park Service tour

Did you visit the basement? That's usually reserved for special visitors.
terapined
terapined
January 21st, 2019 at 10:41:46 AM permalink

Did you visit the basement? That's usually reserved for special visitors.

I don't remember a basement
My visit was about 20 years ago
I just remember the church and the barracks
I remember looking at a display showing where the walls were and gazing out into the city and seeing development where the walls once stood
billryan
billryan
January 21st, 2019 at 11:10:43 AM permalink
https://youtu.be/P5sfGD4TxG4
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 21st, 2019 at 11:12:26 AM permalink

I remember looking at a display showing where the walls were and gazing out into the city and seeing development where the walls once stood

That's a joke from "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure".

JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 21st, 2019 at 11:17:28 AM permalink

While the Alamo is a must see for its historical significance, I recommend spending some time at San Antonio's other four other missions. San Juan, San Jose, Concepcion and Espada are beautifully preserved/ restored. They are run by the National Parks department but the chapels of each are still actively used by the local parish.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
terapined
terapined
January 21st, 2019 at 11:42:40 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Since the government shutdown I'm zipping through TSA faster than ever at McCarran airport and another one. I was amazed how fast it was. I go though as fast as I can move myself. When I brought this up to one of the agents... he said, "ya, we are just doing things more efficiently now." Perhaps all the crappy lazy agents are calling in sick.

Is it somehow less safe? I have no idea.

That's like me saying there is no opioid crisis because I was on opioids last month for a busted elbow
I took the opioids for pain.
Never got addicted therefore we don't have a opioid problem in this country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-air-safety-agents-absences-hit-record-level-160126531.html
Last edited by: terapined on Jan 21, 2019
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
Thanked by
petroglyph
January 21st, 2019 at 2:45:50 PM permalink
Speaking of government employees - seems like working for the city of Chicago is a pretty good deal

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/report-did-you-know-40-of-chicago-city-workers-make-100k
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Steverinos
January 21st, 2019 at 2:58:42 PM permalink
If talk radio cared half as much about how private business 's are keeping wages for the private section down, it may not have happened. Government workers get annual raises, just like everyone else used to.
My college roommates Dad had worked for IBM. He was considered a legacy and needed only get his degree before taking a job with great benefits, a pension and a very nice salary. He also had an unofficial job for life. Those type of private sector jobs used to numerous. The private sector workers have been getting screwed for twenty years now but the talking heads would rather have them being jealous of civil service workers rather than fight for themselves.
Take the average wage a worker made in the 80s and adjust it for inflation. You'll find todays workers are down about 30% from where they should be. Just about the difference between the private sector and public servants.
The powers that be somehow convinced the public that unions weren't needed and salaries failed to match inflation. I'm shocked.

If minimum wage were tied to inflation, it would be close to $11 an hour. A person who works a good part of their life at minimum wage jobs will end up making about $300,000 less over his lifetime than if the MW was tied to inflation. As most other workers get rises whenever the minimum wage goes up, the economic losses of workers adds into trillions.
petroglyph
petroglyph
Thanked by
RogerKint
January 21st, 2019 at 3:43:18 PM permalink

..... The powers that be somehow convinced the public that unions weren't needed and salaries failed to match inflation. I'm shocked.

I continue to be surprised at how much blame private unions get for the ills of our country, with only about 6% of private workers now in unions.

They get the blame for everything from the national debt to the common cold, while not getting any credit for creating holidays, overtime pay, pensions, safety, etc.
petroglyph
petroglyph
January 21st, 2019 at 4:01:08 PM permalink

That's like me saying their is no opioid crisis because I was on opioids last month for a busted elbow
I took the opioids for pain.
Never got addicted therefore we don't have a opioid problem in this country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-air-safety-agents-absences-hit-record-level-160126531.html

Got any left?
terapined
terapined
January 21st, 2019 at 4:10:07 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Got any left?

I do
I have quite a bit left.
As soon as the pain eases, I take myself off the stuff and save it for a rainy painful day
I like to keep a supply of Oxycodone on hand for self medication
Developed a couple of sizable abscesses recently and had trouble sleeping. They were pretty painful
Took an Oxy the night before my Dr's appointment to help me get to sleep
Dr took care of me and I did not take another Oxy. He injected a local for pain and Lanced abscess , just a little pain till it heals as the local wears off
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 21st, 2019 at 5:05:33 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I continue to be surprised at how much blame private unions get for the ills of our country, with only about 6% of private workers now in unions.

They get the blame for everything from the national debt to the common cold, while not getting any credit for creating holidays, overtime pay, pensions, safety, etc.

So true. Thanks for the shout-out. Unions have been a convenient villain for decades past their shader practices.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 21st, 2019 at 6:12:47 PM permalink
Twitter banned the user who was central to spreading the Native American vs schoolkid news. Had 40,000 followers.

The user was not from California, or a school teacher, and was using someone else's picture.

Interesting twist on the censorship argument. I don't think they should ban users for legal content, or even a simple fake name. But this might be a viable alternative for someone setting up a multi-disguised account to look like something it doesn't actually represent.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: