Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 89
May 21st, 2019 at 11:18:47 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Yeah, people just seem to be different. This might be related to the fact that when I wake up, I feel like Han Solo after they turned him into a giant fudgecicle. Takes a few hours for me to wake up.

However, I'm 99.9% sure you could eat a big breakfast, eat lunch, then skip dinner.

IF is like many things. Seems hard. Maybe it actually is hard at first. But it's really just a mental barrier. Our ancestors didn't have convenience stores and drive throughs every 20 feet, nor pantries full of tasty snacks. It's totally normal to go a few hours with eating. We are just spoiled little babies.

So once you get used to it, it's quite easy. 24 hours without food seemed like some kind of crazy endurance challenge to me at first. Now I might do it by accident.

It will be harder if you eat lots off carby junk food though, especially sugar.

It doesnt seem hard to me. Almost everyday my last meal is at 6 and then I grab a small snack at 8ish when the kids go to bed. I have coffee in the morning but I use cream so would have to give that up. I wonder if IF would still be ok with my 35 calories of creamer. I don't always eat breakfast but I almost always have a snack around 10. Lunch is usually around 1230 so I just really have to quit that snack. Some days I will make eggs in the morning though so I guess those days would be different.

I have noticed that on days when I eat breakfast I am starving when it comes to lunch. Someone told me in the past it is because the breakfast started metabolism and 5 hours later your body is needing food. No idea if that is correct but I have always stuck with it.

Summer time is the toughest for me. We go to a lot of picnics so doing keto is going to be very tough so I am trying to find out a better method for myself. I am thinking about IF and light eating during the week. Maybe try to keep it under 1500 calories and then on the weekend do IF but then not worry about what I am eating on those days we go somewhere. I have bascially given up POP so I am not worried about that anymore. I am shocked that I have been able to do it. I had one the other day at dinner and only drank 1 and a little of a second glass. Normally I would have had 3-4 in 1 sitting.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 67
Thanks for this post from:
petroglyph
May 21st, 2019 at 11:33:16 AM permalink
I have never been a big eater but I really can't imagine eating three times a day. I generally eat either lunch or dinner but rarely both. Most days is one full meal and few chips or pretzels for a snack. I think if I ate twice a day I would become obese. Admittedly, I eat like crap and have no plans to change.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 260
May 21st, 2019 at 11:43:46 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Admittedly, I eat like crap and have no plans to change.

Most people tend to be the same way. Habits are a major force. Even the famed advantages of a Mediterranean Diet evaporate for those who make geographic changes. I knew one woman from Finland who met an American online, he visited Finland, she married him on the spot and moved to Texas, but her weight changed when everything was BBQ.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 147
May 21st, 2019 at 11:55:16 AM permalink
It's not hard to change your diet once you decide to. Admittedly, it took a major health scare to get me to make.changes, and some people think I still eat for Shiite, but I've greatly improved mine in the last two years. On the hundred point scale, I may have improved from a ten to a twenty, working on twenty-five.
I've been experimenting with this Beyond Meat plant based protein. Used it in a lasagna and it tasted like beef, only much more money.
It taste better than ground chicken or turkey. Had it on tacos and a burger and it was fine.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
May 21st, 2019 at 12:03:16 PM permalink
Yeah, GWAE. IF is great because of the flexibility it gives you. I recently went out to dinner and had maybe my worst meal in a year. Sausage roll, fish n chips and a giant dessert. I just didn't eat for about 40 hours after that, and really I felt fine. Granted, I'm quite used to fasting. I also got a little bit of sugar hanger, but I've delt with it before and it is just a minor annoyance.

If you go easy on the really bad carbs, like sugar and chips, when you stuff it down at a pic-i-nic, you might quickly find that you have no real desire to eat for 24 hours or so anyway. You've just been doing it out of routine.

I like the end of a fast to be in the evening, personally, because it's easier to stretch it out. Even if you really wanna eat, you just have to make it to bed. Then several hours of sleeping. Then you wake up, brush your teeth, etc. Hold out at least a bit more. It's always easy to add 8-10 hours.

Quote: DRich

I have never been a big eater but I really can't imagine eating three times a day. I generally eat either lunch or dinner but rarely both. Most days is one full meal and few chips or pretzels for a snack. I think if I ate twice a day I would become obese. Admittedly, I eat like crap and have no plans to change.

And you look above average for a guy your age (early to mid 80s I think?) in spite of living off M&Ms and smokes.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
May 21st, 2019 at 12:08:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's not hard to change your diet once you decide to. Admittedly, it took a major health scare to get me to make.changes, and some people think I still eat for Shiite, but I've greatly improved mine in the last two years. On the hundred point scale, I may have improved from a ten to a twenty, working on twenty-five.
I've been experimenting with this Beyond Meat plant based protein. Used it in a lasagna and it tasted like beef, only much more money.
It taste better than ground chicken or turkey. Had it on tacos and a burger and it was fine.

For the most part, these things are a slow process. At least for me. Be it diet, fitness, mental health, whatever.

When someone flips a switch and goes from Dom Deloise to Lou Ferrigno in 8 months it's a great story. But I suspect most of us are often taking two steps forward and one step back over a long period.

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 89
May 21st, 2019 at 1:30:16 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Yeah, GWAE. IF is great because of the flexibility it gives you. I recently went out to dinner and had maybe my worst meal in a year. Sausage roll, fish n chips and a giant dessert. I just didn't eat for about 40 hours after that, and really I felt fine. Granted, I'm quite used to fasting. I also got a little bit of sugar hanger, but I've delt with it before and it is just a minor annoyance.

If you go easy on the really bad carbs, like sugar and chips, when you stuff it down at a pic-i-nic, you might quickly find that you have no real desire to eat for 24 hours or so anyway. You've just been doing it out of routine.

I like the end of a fast to be in the evening, personally, because it's easier to stretch it out. Even if you really wanna eat, you just have to make it to bed. Then several hours of sleeping. Then you wake up, brush your teeth, etc. Hold out at least a bit more. It's always easy to add 8-10 hours.

And you look above average for a guy your age (early to mid 80s I think?) in spite of living off M&Ms and smokes.

Is a daily calorie count essentially the same as a roulette 10 min session, in terms that it really doesnt matter? If need 2k calories a day to maintain, if I eat 4k cLories today can I just go 48 hours without food and be the same as if I ate 2k each day? Or is it more complicated than that because your body needs a steady stream of food?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 43
May 21st, 2019 at 1:57:00 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Is a daily calorie count essentially the same as a roulette 10 min session, in terms that it really doesnt matter? If need 2k calories a day to maintain, if I eat 4k cLories today can I just go 48 hours without food and be the same as if I ate 2k each day? Or is it more complicated than that because your body needs a steady stream of food?

I'm not a dietician, but sessions make a difference in this respect.
Your brain and muscles require a steady stream of glucose.... the course of consumed pizza input to the glucose drip feed to our muscles is the tricky bit involving temporary storage as body fat. Imagine eating double at weekends and then going to work starving hungry on Monday and Tuesday. Not fun.

If you cram 48 hours worth of calories in your body, it will shove what it can into fat stores and be somewhat inefficient, because it can afford to be. On the second day, your body will try and maybe struggle to pull the calories from the fat cells. You could very likely feel inordinately hungry making you inclined to eat some more on day two.
Why put your metabolism on a roller coaster feeling gorged then hungry.
Eat frequently and steadily. Get an 8 inch plate and eat every meal from that, as often as you want. Especially unlimited fruit and green veg.
Maybe fast one day a week, if the hunger from that doesn't cause you to snack extra and the hungry days don't end up being wretched.
If you are enjoying the game, you're already winning.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 147
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
May 21st, 2019 at 3:55:15 PM permalink
Baby steps.
When you decide you are going to lose weight, you will. It can be gradual, just as long as you head in the right direction. Lose 2 1/2 ounces a day and it adds up to 50 pounds in a year.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 96
May 21st, 2019 at 6:21:57 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I know several people who are very successful in losing weight and keeping it off, by eating 6 times a day, about every 2-3 hours. However, no one meal is, in volume, bigger than the size of their closed fist, and it's mostly healthy food. You might be successful at doing this.

A protein shake. A hamburger patty. A chicken breast. A cup of vegetables. If you're doing carbs...An apple. A small potato. A cup of rice. One slice of 7 grain bread. Just the one item at a time.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: