Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
August 18th, 2017 at 3:09:38 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I am a northerner who has lived in the south for over 30 years in a region (East Tennessee) that tended to side with the north (Union) during the Civil War. I have never had a shred of sympathy for slavery. This is what I observe:

- most of the confederate soldiers (>90%) never owned a slave -they were too poor to own anything and too uneducated to have a strong opinion about the institution of slavery. They joined the confederate army to defend their homes, their families and all they knew and loved from invasion from the north. They experienced years of incredible hardship in the war and many of them died.

- you may think the Vietnam War was an illegal and immoral act of aggression by America -but should we tear down the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC?

- confederate monuments in the South were originally established to honor fathers, brothers and sons who died in the Civil War. The people of the South suffered grievously during and after the War (and the South was impoverished for almost 100 years in the aftermath of the Civil War) but they still found the resources to honor their dead and build the memorials.

- today, Southerners view the monuments as honoring their ancestors who died in the Civil War, and as honoring the historical people who originally settled and lived in the areas that we live in today. They are about regional pride and honoring our heritage.

- the entanglement of these monuments with slavery seems wrong to me. And the demonization of people that you disagree with as racists is worse than irresponsible - it is hate mongering, it is evil. Have some human decency.

Re: Bolded above. This is what I had thought as well, but it seems those who raised or appropriated the money to erect them actually had a hidden agenda. I don't think you're wrong, as that's the common understanding or rationale, but was NOT the intent.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
Thanks for this post from:
RS
August 18th, 2017 at 3:09:39 PM permalink
It's a wonder these demands weren't made during the previous administration.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 151
August 18th, 2017 at 3:51:47 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I Southerners view the monuments as honoring their ancestors who died in the Civil War

The majority of black Southerners aren't Southerners I suppose?
prisoner of gravity
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 63
August 18th, 2017 at 4:03:19 PM permalink
I am neither a Northerner nor a Southerner.
I am an American.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 30
August 18th, 2017 at 4:04:15 PM permalink
I thought giving trophies to losers was only something over-coddling leftie parents did for their millennial children.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
August 18th, 2017 at 4:07:00 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

It's a wonder these demands weren't made during the previous administration.

Most of them were, if news accounts are correct. A lot of them have been litigating or going through the removal process for years. Some are protected by law, so people are trying to get the laws changed to permit the removal. Etc....varies by state.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 18th, 2017 at 4:09:50 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I am neither a Northerner nor a Southerner.
I am an American.

I don't even apply that label. I'm just human. Where I was born on this planet has no bearing on anything.
"And that's the bottom lineeeee, cuz Stone Cold said so!"
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 26
August 18th, 2017 at 4:25:20 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I don't even apply that label. I'm just human. Where I was born on this planet has no bearing on anything.

Corny pun time. If you were born in the ocean you'd be a Merman. LOL.
Guy "won" less than his bet and the slot machine had the audacity to tell him he got a big win! SMH! Also, the Nintendo cartridge is so much more important than the Nintendo console. Without the cartridge, the Nintendo console is just a useless box.
billryan
billryan
August 18th, 2017 at 4:30:02 PM permalink
http://globalnews.ca/news/3679943/arnold-schwarzenegger-donald-trump-neo-nazis/

As only Arnold could say it:
“Your heroes are losers. You are supporting a lost cause,” he said. “And believe me, I knew the original Nazis, because I was born in Austria in 1947, shortly after the Second World War. And growing up, I was surrounded by broken men, men who came home from a war filled with shrapnel and guilt, men who were misled into a losing ideology. And I can tell you: that these ghosts you idolize spent the rest of their lives living in shame and right now, they’re resting in hell.”
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 151
August 18th, 2017 at 4:55:30 PM permalink
I do wonder how fast the monuments would come down had it been about white slavery. Some white slaves were happy, you know.
prisoner of gravity

• Jump to: