Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 23rd, 2017 at 1:41:38 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

This is where I need to write a prescription of Rush Limbaugh and Ben Shapiro for you.

Or just ECON101.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
December 23rd, 2017 at 1:54:21 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I must bite my tongue first....... You think it is up to an EMPLOYER, A BUSINESS owner, to make sure every employee can support themselves?

Nope. Never said that.

Quote:

There is NOTHING that forces people to work for said business owner if he does not offer enough to make it worth the worker's while. If he doesn't offer enough there will not be workers. And he wont have a business.

Then why do we have minimum wage laws? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to get rid of them entirely? That way business owners would save money by having to pay less, and people would still work because they need money. If they didn't want to work for $1/hr, they could just go down the street to work for the competitor for $1.25/hr, right?
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2017 at 1:56:51 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Because not all jobs are about that. Some jobs are starter jobs for people with few to no skills. Some jobs are for people moonlighting, housewives, or just working to make a few extra bucks.

Makes sense.

Quote:

Bigger question is why SHOULD minimum wage be set to "where you can support yourself?"

I don't know. They set it at a certain limit for a reason. Maybe they just throw a dart at a board of numbers.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2017 at 1:58:06 PM permalink

Or just ECON101.

What economy classes have you taken?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:02:27 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I haven't taken an economy class.

As to ECONOMICS I have had many. Macro, MIcro, Collective Bargaining, and History of Economic Thought to mention what I can remember. Also read WSJ daily for 15 years or so.

How about you?
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:07:30 PM permalink

I haven't taken an economy class.

As to ECONOMICS I have had many. Macro, MIcro, Collective Bargaining, and History of Economic Thought to mention what I can remember. Also read WSJ daily for 15 years or so.

How about you?

Cool. What is your degree in? I'm actually starting a business admin degree next semester. First class is macroeconomics!

I pick up the WSJ every once in a while. You think it's still worth reading?

Hey, guys, I'm half-serious, but I'm also half-trolling. I'm stuck at work on a 12 hour shift two days before Christmas with very little to do. So, I hope you guys are having a good weekend!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:08:58 PM permalink

Nope. Never said that.

Then why do we have minimum wage laws? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to get rid of them entirely? That way business owners would save money by having to pay less, and people would still work because they need money. If they didn't want to work for $1/hr, they could just go down the street to work for the competitor for $1.25/hr, right?

Exactly right! Except that most employers would pay more. When you pay just MW you kind of have to pick from the dregs of society. Occasionally you will get someone good (like I had to do when I first moved back east) but the good ones do not last (I lasted maybe 6 weeks until something better came up, took so long due to the financial crisis.)

Do you not see signs saying "Pay above minimum" on signs advertising help wanted?

OTOH, there are many places where people would gladly work for less. Business owners might want to hire them for less. Think inner city. You might have a place would hire a few kids to clean up the place really well. It might pay for a fast food place to be able to show they have someone devoted to just cleaning. But when you price that out of the market, everyone loses.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:15:33 PM permalink

Cool. What is your degree in? I'm actually starting a business admin degree next semester. First class is macroeconomics!

My degree is in business. Skip such a degree. Learn ECON for sure. But get something in IT, get your CCNA. Get your Microsoft cert. Take welding or another trade. Business degrees are not useless like Woman's Studies, but they are not worth the price of admission.

Quote:

I pick up the WSJ every once in a while. You think it's still worth reading?

Hey, guys, I'm half-serious, but I'm also half-trolling. I'm stuck at work on a 12 hour shift two days before Christmas with very little to do. So, I hope you guys are having a good weekend!

I stopped reading when the subscription price got out of hand. I scammed student pricing for then $65 a year for about 8 years. Eventually caught on there and that was that. Mid 2000s the price got out of hand. It used to be really good, daily they had 3 long articles on arcane but interesting subjects. True story, I read them daily. There was a company called "Free Markets" they did one on. It was in my hometown so I remembered it well. Later we drive by the place with my parents and her husband. She asks what it does, and I explain how a clock works to tell her the time. He just looks at her and says, "told you he would know!"

Can't hurt to read it. Get a student discount if you subscribe.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:24:12 PM permalink

No thanks. Tried that already. Inflammation got worse.

Why? Rush says the minimum wage should
be $30 an hour, you disagree with that? He's
be saying it for 20 years. Of course a Big Mac
will cost $15, but that's beside the point.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:24:33 PM permalink

My degree is in business. Skip such a degree. Learn ECON for sure. But get something in IT, get your CCNA. Get your Microsoft cert. Take welding or another trade. Business degrees are not useless like Woman's Studies, but they are not worth the price of admission.

I have a pretty decent, pseudo-skilled trade job already. The business degree (associate's) is just for fun and to burn up my GI Bill before it expires. I thought about IT but computers make my head hurt. I can barely turn them on and check email. I'm even taking a Microsoft Office class because I don't even know how to do that.

Quote:

Can't hurt to read it. Get a student discount if you subscribe.

Good idea, never though about student discounts for something like that....
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2017 at 2:27:25 PM permalink

I have a pretty decent, pseudo-skilled trade job already. The business degree (associate's) is just for fun and to burn up my GI Bill before it expires. I thought about IT but computers make my head hurt. I can barely turn them on and check email. I'm even taking a Microsoft Office class because I don't even know how to do that.

If it is for fun then fine, Don't think it gets you much. I did OK, but I was the exception. Don't do the things I have done.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 23rd, 2017 at 3:46:49 PM permalink

If it is for fun then fine, Don't think it gets you much. I did OK, but I was the exception. Don't do the things I have done.

Degrees are a waste of time and money
for most now. Mike Rowe is right, the
best jobs for the future are in the trades,
like plumbing, electrical, mechanics, building,
welding, car repair. Things that involve your
hands and your back and not your ass sitting
in a cubical all day.
CS94
CS94
  • Threads: 1
December 23rd, 2017 at 3:53:26 PM permalink
What trade, the company that I work for hires sheet metal, ironworkers and glaziers. We are always looking for quality help. The Microsoft office skills are a must.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 23rd, 2017 at 4:16:41 PM permalink

Take welding or another trade. Business degrees are not useless like Woman's Studies, but they are not worth the price of admission.

Speak for yourself, my business degree(s) were certainly worth the price of admission.

Then again, I never paid a dime of tuition cause I got a 33 on my ACT.

College isn't right for everyone, but if you've got the brains it's certainly better than side hustling all your life.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2017 at 4:28:09 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

College isn't right for everyone, but if you've got the brains it's certainly better than side hustling all your life.

Just don't be like me and get pretty much a free ride to college and waste it on an art degree.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2017 at 5:02:29 PM permalink
Quote: CS94

What trade, the company that I work for hires sheet metal, ironworkers and glaziers. We are always looking for quality help. The Microsoft office skills are a must.

You do not need a degree to get Office skills. Just learn Office Suite. You probably need people with decent math, but you learn that in HS/Trade School.

The point is that HS used to track you to Trades/College. Now they look down on trades and jam everyone to college. Just over half the people complete college, the number with useless degrees is harder to quantify. But I would say it is pretty safe to say just 1 in 3 or so graduate HS then get out of college with a "real" degree.

Back to the Business Degree. I got into a very selective management training program because I had my degree and from what I gather I blew away their testing. It was alluded to twice in passing that i tested real high. You did need college for that job. Had to sell your soul to really do well. Real Red Pill stuff.

Most every other job I nowhere near needed a 4 year degree. My business degree stuff I could have picked up starting in the mail room and learning. I love what I do now, but it is a chicken or feathers life and while my degree helps, I am not sure when it does or if I would have picked things up anyhow.

Business Degrees now just spit out people overqualified for call center work where they too often end up. Or managing a small retail store, 60 hour weeks.

An exception might be if you can take a business degree with the math to worm your way into finance. You might make underwriter, not a bad career with not bad pay. It is another Red Pill life, you will not have the luxury of seeing what you see.

Spend your life in sin and misery in the HOTRS.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
bobbartop
December 23rd, 2017 at 6:51:16 PM permalink
CNN is finally getting it. The list of
what Trump accomplished in his
first year is jaw dropping, and he's
brand new at this. Even CNN is
admitting Trump might be one of
the best president's we've ever had.

Trump ‘Could Become the Most Consequential President in the Modern Era'

bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
December 23rd, 2017 at 7:53:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Wow, that's pretty impressive. And this guy is from CNN.

I'm still concerned about the debt, but it is impressive. At least we got rid of the worst president in history. And I'm quite sure people would have voted for a third term for that guy if they could have, the people are THAT stupid.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2017 at 4:20:26 AM permalink

They might have known it all the time, hence the fake news search-and-destroy mission.

It will only get better. Trump does not let anything stop him. He may have to re-route or take a failure. Like the song he just picks himself up, dusts himself off, and starts all over again.

Did you hear Rush yesterday on the GOP finally getting onboard? While liberals were stupid enough to believe the fake dossier, Rush explained the GOP took a "what if" attitude or at least a "what if people believe it" one. Now that evidence, not just common sense, are showing how fake it is, the establishment will get more onboard. They still hate the outsider, but they see he isn't going anywhere.

Meanwhile liberals remain clinging to the hope of a double impeachment, Ryan taking the POTUS slot, appointing Hillary VP, then quitting, then the GOP approving Hillary making Chelsea her VP.

The same liberals expect Santa to come tonight.
ams288
ams288
December 24th, 2017 at 4:59:47 AM permalink

Meanwhile liberals remain clinging to the hope of a double impeachment, Ryan taking the POTUS slot, appointing Hillary VP, then quitting, then the GOP approving Hillary making Chelsea her VP.

Serious question: is this supposed to be satire?

Or is Duffman really that clueless?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2017 at 5:09:27 AM permalink

Serious question: is this supposed to be satire?

Or is Duffman really that clueless?

It made "Newsweek"

OK, I added the part about Chelsea. But I can hear liberals saying they wish they added that part.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
SanchoPanza
December 24th, 2017 at 5:18:45 AM permalink

Just don't be like me and get pretty much a free ride to college and waste it on an art degree.

In another post you mentioned you have a good job. Isn't it possible the education AND personal growth you experienced in college had something to do with making you the person you are that got that job? Regardless of whether the degree specifically helped you get it? And congratulations on going for that next degree. I'll bet years from now you won't regret it.
College is not meant to be a trade school.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 24th, 2017 at 5:29:40 AM permalink

Yes, no minimum wage laws. The market will set itself. Telling an employer he must pay a certain amount for anything (rent, employee, bottled water) makes no sense. Except at the minimum, what you mention is what happens every day! Employers do try and pay less, and its up to the employee to show he is worth more. I'm guessing at least 90% of employees make more than the minimum. So what makes you think that eliminating the minimum wage laws will drop wages to $1 an hour? The market would not allow that, as there would be no one willing to work for that.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
December 24th, 2017 at 7:32:04 AM permalink

You might want to listen to that again. That’s not what Smirconish said.
ams288
ams288
December 24th, 2017 at 7:43:05 AM permalink

It made "Newsweek"

OK, I added the part about Chelsea. But I can hear liberals saying they wish they added that part.

Ah, so one guy = all liberals in your mind.

Perhaps you should take this section to heart:

Quote:

Clinton has made it clear she won't run for office again, telling CBS Sunday Morning that she's "done with being a candidate." But Trump himself tweeted about the possibility Monday.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
SanchoPanza
December 24th, 2017 at 7:57:25 AM permalink

Ah, so one guy = all liberals in your mind.

Who said "all" other than you? Don't doubt me, many liberals read this and started dreaming, "if only!"

How many liberals were gullible enough to believe the dossier in the dossier in the first place? They were goo-goo over it!

Quote:

Perhaps you should take this section to heart:

Clinton has made it clear she won't run for office again, telling CBS Sunday Morning that she's "done with being a candidate." But Trump himself tweeted about the possibility Monday

Yeah, that is why she is going out on the campaign trail and starting PACs. One day I would like to hear why liberals are so afraid of her running again given how they thought she was so qualified last time, how they claim she won in fact. I don't get it.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
December 24th, 2017 at 8:16:31 AM permalink

Who said "all" other than you? Don't doubt me, many liberals read this and started dreaming, "if only!"

How many liberals were gullible enough to believe the dossier in the dossier in the first place? They were goo-goo over it!

Clinton has made it clear she won't run for office again, telling CBS Sunday Morning that she's "done with being a candidate." But Trump himself tweeted about the possibility Monday

Yeah, that is why she is going out on the campaign trail and starting PACs. One day I would like to hear why liberals are so afraid of her running again given how they thought she was so qualified last time, how they claim she won in fact. I don't get it.

U do get it

Hillary had her chance. Time to move on. Thats the norm.

Thats why you didnt see john mccain or mitt Romney running in 2016.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
RogerKint
December 24th, 2017 at 8:22:16 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Hillary had her chance. Time to move on. Thats the norm.

Thats why you didnt see john mccain or mitt Romney running in 2016.

Liberals were begging Gore to run again in 2004 and even 2008. He of course had realized he could make too much money with his global warming scam. Suggest Hillary run again and they act like the world is ending.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 24th, 2017 at 9:39:09 AM permalink

In another post you mentioned you have a good job. Isn't it possible the education AND personal growth you experienced in college had something to do with making you the person you are that got that job? Regardless of whether the degree specifically helped you get it?

Yes, that's a really good point, and you're probably right about it.

Even CNN is

I think you must have been watching a different video from me... He clearly said Trump is the most consequential President "for good or ill" and "it's not necessarily a good thing," much like Time magazine's Person of the Year.

Nowhere in that video did he say or even remotely imply that Trump might be one of the best Presidents we've ever had. Is someone ELSE on CNN saying that?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 24th, 2017 at 9:57:20 AM permalink

One day I would like to hear why liberals are so afraid of her running again given how they thought she was so qualified last time, how they claim she won in fact. I don't get it.

One thing is certain, you certainly like to keep announcing Hillary is running.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
RogerKint
December 24th, 2017 at 9:59:54 AM permalink
I'd vote for Hillary in 2020 for the lulz
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2017 at 11:02:15 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I'd vote for Hillary in 2020 for the lulz

If she can stay out of prison with what's
coming her way, of course she'll run again.
Duh..
TigerWu
TigerWu
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2017 at 11:21:15 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

One thing is certain, you certainly like to keep announcing Hillary is running.

Because at this point she is. All but the liberals can see it. She used to say she would not run at all. IIRC promised us in NY that she would not run as part of her Senate campaign.

She is a power-hungry woman who never stops trying to get more. Like a person on a diet who keeps eating cookies from the cookie jar. Hillary has been eating cookies from the jar since 1992, always wanting more. Trump took away the cookie jar, so now she is hunting for the pie stash.

She will "help" candidates in 2018. Mostly women and minorities in real safe areas. Test the waters. Talk to donors. See who else might jump in. If the field is weak, and it probably will be given how Obama destroyed the Democrats down ticket, look for her to say how the party needs her and she wants to help "undo the damage that crazy Trump has done!"

Her doctors will pump her daily full of medicine to keep her from coughing and collapsing, and she will start "listening" again.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 24th, 2017 at 11:31:22 AM permalink
Hillary can say whatever she wants, but she's a huge liability at this point. I don't think she would have much support at all within her party when push comes to shove. I could barely bring myself to vote for her last year; I can see myself sitting out 2020 if it came down to Trump and Hillary again. She's still very much in the public eye, but her political career is basically over.
darkoz
darkoz 
December 24th, 2017 at 11:41:00 AM permalink

Because at this point she is. All but the liberals can see it. She used to say she would not run at all. IIRC promised us in NY that she would not run as part of her Senate campaign.

She is a power-hungry woman who never stops trying to get more. Like a person on a diet who keeps eating cookies from the cookie jar. Hillary has been eating cookies from the jar since 1992, always wanting more. Trump took away the cookie jar, so now she is hunting for the pie stash.

She will "help" candidates in 2018. Mostly women and minorities in real safe areas. Test the waters. Talk to donors. See who else might jump in. If the field is weak, and it probably will be given how Obama destroyed the Democrats down ticket, look for her to say how the party needs her and she wants to help "undo the damage that crazy Trump has done!"

Her doctors will pump her daily full of medicine to keep her from coughing and collapsing, and she will start "listening" again.

Wait a power hungry woman who stops at nothing?

You just described Donald Trump. A power hungry woman (like most power hungry millionaires he runs from a real fight calling his bodyguards like a scared chick. All talk but physically a very weak human being)

In fact i know a few women who could kick the crap out of him in a physical fight
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2017 at 11:42:55 AM permalink

You just described Donald Trump.

There is a difference. Trump actually did his own work to make his brand and power. Hillary just married the boss then thought that made HER the boss.

See the difference?
rxwine
rxwine
December 24th, 2017 at 11:47:48 AM permalink

Because at this point she is. All but the liberals can see it.

Doug Jones could probably beat Trump.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2017 at 11:52:41 AM permalink

Hillary can say whatever she wants, but she's a huge liability at this point. I don't think she would have much support at all within her party when push comes to shove. I could barely bring myself to vote for her last year; I can see myself sitting out 2020 if it came down to Trump and Hillary again. She's still very much in the public eye, but her political career is basically over.

She would have huge support in the party. Not to say the Bernie-Wing would not still be there, and maybe be bigger. But she has support where it counts in the Democrat Party. The Superdelegates would fall right into line. The power brokers would fall in line, though an outright fix like last time is less likely. The unions would provide an army of workers for her.

The Clintons OWN most of the Democrats, just like a mafia boss owns his family. They know where bodies are buried and what is in everyone's closet. 25+ years and you get this power.

Her political career is far from over. Remember, as a Democrat you can leave a woman to die in a lake and get re-elected. You can smoke crack on an FBI camera and get re-elected. You can admit to cheating on your wife on national TV and get the nomination.

You can do next to anything and get re-elected. All you need to do is tell the sheep, "Vote for me or Jones will come back!" And the sheep will vote for you again.
RS
RS
December 24th, 2017 at 11:58:10 AM permalink

You just described Donald Trump. A power hungry woman (like most power hungry millionaires he runs from a real fight calling his bodyguards like a scared chick. All talk but physically a very weak human being)

In fact i know a few women who could kick the crap out of him in a physical fight

Wow, the man is 71 years old and you're talking about getting into (physical) fights? Grow up.
rxwine
rxwine
December 24th, 2017 at 11:59:32 AM permalink
Trump couldn't beat Roy Moore in a run-off for dog catcher.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
RSMaxPenbobbartopSOOPOO
December 24th, 2017 at 12:09:41 PM permalink

Trump couldn't beat Roy Moore in a run-off for dog catcher.

Yet he beat your girl Hillary!
rxwine
rxwine
December 24th, 2017 at 12:13:27 PM permalink

Yet he beat your girl Hillary!

Rightwing is afraid of anyone who hasn't lost a couple times. That's why they keep saying HIllary will run again. Only reason.
billryan
billryan
December 24th, 2017 at 12:22:16 PM permalink

Rightwing is afraid of anyone who hasn't lost a couple times. That's why they keep saying HIllary will run again. Only reason.

It took them eight years to figure out how to spell Benghazi. They don't want to have it go to waste.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz 
December 24th, 2017 at 12:24:28 PM permalink

There is a difference. Trump actually did his own work to make his brand and power. Hillary just married the boss then thought that made HER the boss.

See the difference?

Lol. Trump inherited his position. Do your homework

He even says his dad gave him ONLY a million dollars to start

LOL like that was in 1973 when a loaf of bread cost $.35.

Now do you see your hypocrisy

And lets not get started on Melania. Why does an ex-model from another country have a position of power in the white house? Marrying into it. Sleeping her way to the top (or bottom of the pile)
RS
RS
December 24th, 2017 at 12:30:11 PM permalink

Lol. Trump inherited his position. Do your homework

He even says his dad gave him ONLY a million dollars to start

LOL like that was in 1973 when a loaf of bread cost $.35.

Now do you see your hypocrisy

And lets not get started on Melania. Why does an ex-model from another country have a position of power in the white house? Marrying into it. Sleeping her way to the top (or bottom of the pile)

"And lets (sic) not get started on Melania..."

*gets started on Melania*
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 24th, 2017 at 12:39:11 PM permalink

"If I weren't beautiful, do you think he'd be with me?"

-- Melania Trump, when asked if she would still be with Donald if he weren't rich.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 24th, 2017 at 12:57:06 PM permalink

Because not all jobs are about that. Some jobs are starter jobs for people with few to no skills. Some jobs are for people moonlighting, housewives, or just working to make a few extra bucks.

Bigger question is why SHOULD minimum wage be set to "where you can support yourself?" When you make minimum wage higher, fewer people get hired. It hits those with no skills the hardest. Just more people ending up on welfare because they are priced out of the market.

Simplistic view not supported by any evidence, and there are plenty of jurisdictions throughout the United States and the world where there is no correlation between a minimum wage hike and unemployment. We've argued this before.

The fact is that there will be a portion of society where they do not have skills, due to lack of opportunity, bad decisions, being raised poorly, disability, sickness, etc. Your libertarian view is "too bad", and you offer no solution for them to acquire skills when they have no money to go to school (even a trade school) to acquire skills. Even when they acquire a skill you propose a wage where they cannot support themselves anyway (or go to school to further advance skills) in which case the government will step in with programs so that they don't end up dead on the streets, which ultimately is paid for with more expensive tax dollars (treatment is far more expensive than prevention, ask your doctor). I would suggest that putting someone in jail for years is far less economic than funding for a program that keeps that kid off the streets or provide skills through government-funded programs.

By doing nothing, all that happens is exacerbate a cycle of never-ending poverty, which adds to crime rates, homeless rates, and a division in society between the haves and have-nots. In the end, makes your United States a more dangerous place because for some reason, it's more important to fund a new aircraft carrier than to provide programs to the poor.

In my opinion, one should always have some programs available to allow people without means to acquire skills at little cost, and to provide wages to give them opportunities to continue to acquire skills, feed, house and cloth themselves. Yes, work hard. But provide opportunities and make it worthwhile to work hard.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
bobbartop
bobbartop
December 24th, 2017 at 1:19:21 PM permalink

Yes, no minimum wage laws. The market will set itself. Telling an employer he must pay a certain amount for anything (rent, employee, bottled water) makes no sense. Except at the minimum, what you mention is what happens every day! Employers do try and pay less, and its up to the employee to show he is worth more. I'm guessing at least 90% of employees make more than the minimum. So what makes you think that eliminating the minimum wage laws will drop wages to $1 an hour? The market would not allow that, as there would be no one willing to work for that.

The more I read your posts, SooPoo, the more I recognize who the bright ones are on this group.

You addressed the subject very well, better than I could, but I want to add another two cents.

Say for instance, I have someone I want to provided a job to, I want to provide some OPPORTUNITY to, but he is a little slow, maybe not up to the job, of raking all the leaves from my 5 acre parcel. Why can't I offer him a set price to get the job done? Then he could work at his own pace, which has to be a slow pace because of his handicap, whatever handicap that might be. But if I had to pay him minimum wage by hour, it just ain't worth it to me and I let the leaves rot. Now, because of minimum wage, he doesn't get the opportunity. Lose-lose.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
December 24th, 2017 at 1:22:21 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It took them eight years to figure out how to spell Benghazi. They don't want to have it go to waste.

Classy. Make a joke out of the loss of our guys.
  • Jump to: