Look at the foxnews comments regarding gays Its disgusting

That is what is out there when one ventures forth from his "safe spaces."
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 13th, 2016 at 10:37:34 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Its not certain evangelicals
Its the whole attitude on the right regarding gay hatred and therefore gays get harassed, assaulted and sometimes killed
Look at the foxnews comments regarding gays
Its disgusting

Yes it is disgusting.

"Christian evangelicals aren't throwing people off buildings."

Big effing deal. That does not mean there is no blame to go around for them. They create a toxic atmosphere of hate in this country towards LGBT people.

Throwing people off buildings is not the standard which we use to determine whether or not one group of people is discriminating against another.

The terrorist was disgusted by seeing two men kiss. You know who else said he was "disgusted" by seeing two men kiss on this board? Beethoven9th, everyone's favorite nuked right-wing bigot.

There are a lot of similarities between the terrorist's feelingss towards gay people and many people on the right's feeling towards them. Which is why many on the right are downplaying the fact that this was a targeted attack against gays.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
June 13th, 2016 at 11:44:58 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Yes it is disgusting.

Big effing deal. That does not mean there is no blame to go around for them. They create a toxic atmosphere of hate in this country towards LGBT people.

Throwing people off buildings is not the standard which we use to determine whether or not one group of people is discriminating against another.

The terrorist was disgusted by seeing two men kiss. You know who else said he was "disgusted" by seeing two men kiss on this board? Beethoven9th, everyone's favorite nuked right-wing bigot.

There are a lot of similarities between the terrorist's feelingss towards gay people and many people on the right's feeling towards them. Which is why many on the right are downplaying the fact that this was a targeted attack against gays.

Another radical leftist can't stand mentioning Muslim or Islam. If the targets of the terrorists don't wake up, the outlook is truly bleak.
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 11:55:15 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Another radical leftist can't stand mentioning Muslim or Islam. If the targets of the terrorists don't wake up, the outlook is truly bleak.

You know I hate Islam. Just like I hate Christianity.

It's all fairy tale nonsense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: religion is like a mental illness.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 13th, 2016 at 12:02:50 PM permalink

But which one of the two wages often fatal violence against those whom it vilifies?
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 13th, 2016 at 12:06:24 PM permalink

Hate.

Complaining about people who hate then talking about hating people.

All Christians are not bad.

All Muslims are not bad.

Radical Islamic Terrorist are bad. All of them. Every one of them.
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 12:07:54 PM permalink

But which one of the two wages often fatal violence against those whom it vilifies?

Islam.

Your point?

They both suck.
RonC
RonC
June 13th, 2016 at 12:08:53 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Hate.

Complaining about people who hate then talking about hating people.

All Christians are not bad.

All Muslims are not bad.

Radical Islamic Terrorist are bad. All of them. Every one of them.

Oh what the hell...let me answer for you...

False equivalences and straw men. Delete your account!!
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 12:10:52 PM permalink

Oh what the hell...let me answer for you...

False equivalences and straw men. Delete your account!!

+1
RonC
RonC
June 13th, 2016 at 12:14:28 PM permalink

+1

+1 on you deleting your account. I am all for it!
whodat
whodat
  • Threads: 7
June 13th, 2016 at 12:14:56 PM permalink

I disagree.
"Hate" is such a strong word and may be the reason behind so many atrocities that we see.
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 12:19:43 PM permalink
Quote: whodat

I disagree.
"Hate" is such a strong word and may be the reason behind so many atrocities that we see.

You disagree that I hate Islam and Christianity?
Good for you.
One of the great things about America is that we are all able to have our own opinions about the various fairy tales.
whodat
whodat
  • Threads: 7
June 13th, 2016 at 12:23:44 PM permalink

You disagree that I hate Islam and Christianity?
Good for you.
One of the great things about America is that we are all able to have our own opinions about the various fairy tales.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I disagree about that religion is a "fairy tale." Since this is an forum where someone can voice his/her opinion, I thought I would do so, especially when I feel strongly about my belief. To each his own.
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 12:32:38 PM permalink
Quote: whodat

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I disagree about that religion is a "fairy tale." Since this is an forum where someone can voice his/her opinion, I thought I would do so, especially when I feel strongly about my belief. To each his own.

No problem. I suspect most people would disagree with me that religion is a fairy tale.
sammydv
sammydv
  • Threads: 9
June 13th, 2016 at 12:36:45 PM permalink

I totally agree Tanko
I am so sick and tired of the govt spending money propping up Christians
You want a church, pay the property tax on the building,
Christians should pay their own way instead getting a free ride by not paying their fare share in taxes

Terrific point. Well said. It goes both ways. When do we stop giving religion a free ride?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 13th, 2016 at 12:38:38 PM permalink

They both do. But if we just look at recent history, Islam probably has an exponentially higher body count.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 13th, 2016 at 12:40:40 PM permalink
Quote: sammydv

When do we stop giving religion a free ride?

When the majority of our politicians are not religiously motivated, backed, or influenced. In other words, not in our lifetimes. Probably be multiple generations before that subject will even begin to be politically broached.
sammydv
sammydv
June 13th, 2016 at 12:44:19 PM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

I find it ironic that you americans will fight to your death for the right to bare arms and don't see that this will cause the end of your freedom.

I find it ironic that you, snuggled safely in your country, which sits almost passively, protected in the breast pocket of our super power government while we protect your people and borders, economically trade with you and support your varied weird governments would say such a thing.
sammydv
sammydv
June 13th, 2016 at 12:47:54 PM permalink

The guy was a US citizen born in the USA
He was crazy
Adam Lanza was crazy
After Newtown, conservatives shrugged their shoulders
How is this different from Newtown or the Colorado theater shootings
We live in a country where crazy people can get their hands on weapons of mass killing
Its going to happen again.

Don't be too surprised this killer comes up as being gay as well. It doesn't matter about any present family or girlfriends.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 13th, 2016 at 12:48:33 PM permalink

No problem. I suspect most people would disagree with me that religion is a fairy tale.

Most people don't want to realize the truth.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
sammydv
sammydv
June 13th, 2016 at 12:53:40 PM permalink

There's plenty of historical records of genocide in the name of Christianity throughout the centuries, from the dark ages to Easter Island missionaries into American Indians....Religion is still the leading killer through the ages.
All religions.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
June 13th, 2016 at 1:07:42 PM permalink
Just for information, here are 10 hate-fueled non-muslim attacks on people in the United States:

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/10-worst-terror-attacks-extreme-christians-and-far-right-white-men

and here are 6 groups that promote hate, and promote violence against those that they hate. this one isn't limited to the United States, but it is again a list of groups that are not muslim:

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/07/6_modern_day_christian_terrorist_groups_our_media_conveniently_ignores_partner/

The common things between those groups and the islamist groups -

They hate one or more groups of people.

They use their religion as justification for the hate.

My question about this case here is -

did the guy hate gays and then join with a religion or sect of a religion that matched his attitudes, or did he join a religion and was taught to hate gays?

I think both cases exist - people are raised in a religion (both christian and muslim and otherwise) and are brought up to hate, and those who hate these groups and find a religious organization of like-minded people.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 13th, 2016 at 1:32:44 PM permalink
Why is it that you never hear of an abortion clinic shooter/bomber as a "Christian terrorist"?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
RonC
RonC
June 13th, 2016 at 1:45:09 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Why is it that you never hear of an abortion clinic shooter/bomber as a "Christian terrorist"?

I don't see this kind of terrorists being routinely called "Muslim Terrorists"; they are mostly known by some form of the term "Radical Islamic Terrorists". I would have no problem identifying someone of the ilk you are speaking of as "Radical Christian Terrorist" or something of that sort.

It is not all Christians, obviously...just as obviously, it is not all Muslims.

A Radical Islamic Terrorist kills 50 people and injures more than 50 more and we are worried about what to call bad Christians.

Why are we deflecting from the issue at hand?

Why not discuss non-religious terrorists, too...
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 13th, 2016 at 1:45:57 PM permalink

Because the media and politicians are afraid to use that term.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 13th, 2016 at 1:53:02 PM permalink

Actually, they do: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/10/to-many-christian-terrorists-arent-true-christians-but-muslim-terrorists-are-true-muslims/

But what I want to know is, "In Saudi Arabia, what do they call the guys who flew the planes into the WTC?"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 13th, 2016 at 1:55:24 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

But what I want to know is, "In Saudi Arabia, what do they call the guys who flew the planes into the WTC?"

It boggles my mind we're still friendly with that country. We don't need their oil and they do nothing for us in that region.

Keep your enemies closer, I guess??
DiscreteMaths2
DiscreteMaths2
  • Threads: 13
June 13th, 2016 at 2:09:41 PM permalink

Because violence against abortion clinics predates the modern use of the word terrorist. I believe its an etymological issue, not a sociopolitical one.
Assume the worst, believe no one, and make your move only when you are certain that you are unbeatable or have, at worst, exceptionally good odds in your favor.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 13th, 2016 at 2:22:02 PM permalink

I don't see this kind of terrorists being routinely called "Muslim Terrorists"; they are mostly known by some form of the term "Radical Islamic Terrorists". I would have no problem identifying someone of the ilk you are speaking of as "Radical Christian Terrorist" or something of that sort.

Thank you. As long as you're consistent.

And, agreed, terminology should not be what we're worried about. I only brought it up because so many former and current Republican candidates for president put such a huge emphasis on it.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 13th, 2016 at 2:24:35 PM permalink

Yes it is disgusting.

AMS, they are coming for you. They are coming for you and your 'friends'. You sure you want Hillary in charge of your defense? Remember the soundtrack from Jaws?

How much do you think she would sell 'you' for?
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on Jun 13, 2016
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 13th, 2016 at 2:24:50 PM permalink
Quote: DiscreteMaths2

Because violence against abortion clinics predates the modern use of the word terrorist. I believe its an etymological issue, not a sociopolitical one.

What definition of "terrorist" are you using such that abortion clinic attacks predate it???
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 2:32:04 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

AMS, they are coming for you. They are coming for you and your 'friends'. You sure you want Hillary in charge of your defense? Remember the soundtrack from Jaws?

You think I'd rather have Donald Trump in charge of my defense?

The man knows nothing and only puts the country in more danger with his hateful rhetoric.
DiscreteMaths2
DiscreteMaths2
  • Threads: 13
June 13th, 2016 at 2:40:22 PM permalink
Fourth-generation warfare, the war on terror, UN sanctions, etc. The people of today know terrorism from its relevancy from the 1970's. 1990's, or 2000's not the French Revolution or Russian revolution.
Assume the worst, believe no one, and make your move only when you are certain that you are unbeatable or have, at worst, exceptionally good odds in your favor.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 13th, 2016 at 2:43:49 PM permalink

You think I'd rather have Donald Trump in charge of my defense?

The man knows nothing and only puts the country in more danger with his hateful rhetoric.

Da dumm, Da dumm, Da dumm.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 13th, 2016 at 3:01:10 PM permalink
Quote: DiscreteMaths2

The people of today know terrorism from its relevancy from the 1970's. 1990's, or 2000's

But that's how long abortion clinic attacks have been going on... Since the late 70's.
Canyonero
Canyonero
June 13th, 2016 at 3:16:25 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Actually, they do: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/10/to-many-christian-terrorists-arent-true-christians-but-muslim-terrorists-are-true-muslims/

Thanks for that link!

This shows the bigotry in numbers. The bigotry that is so rampant on this forum as well.

If a White Christian commits mass murder, the bigots say "that guy was crazy, not a true Christian"
If a Muslim of Arab descent commits mass murder, they say "that is typical of Muslims, they are coming to kill us"
sammydv
sammydv
June 13th, 2016 at 3:24:45 PM permalink
Quote: Canyonero

Thanks for that link!

This shows the bigotry in numbers. The bigotry that is so rampant on this forum as well.

If a White Christian commits mass murder, the bigots say "that guy was crazy, not a true Christian"
If a Muslim of Arab descent commits mass murder, they say "that is typical of Muslims, they are coming to kill us"

Which of those 2 groups makes it a point in modern time, almost every piece of literature and violent act of terror that it's directly aimed at the American people and government? To destroy our way of life?

One thing maybe slipping peoples notice is a relatively small group of radical extremists have managed to invade our collective conciseness and are causing more strife than they actually should be. They know the power of suggestion and presentation. And they are using a religion they themselves do not believe in or follow. It could have been any religion by the way the extremists have prostituted the Muslim religious order.

It may also be true, that at any one time the United States has supported, through money and arms, just about every group that morphs into a enemy of our country. All of them. Either openly or covertly. Even isis in it's early development.
Our Government may be just as culpable in creating many monsters against our citizens. We were never consulted.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 13th, 2016 at 3:30:55 PM permalink

Thanks for that link!

Guess it's time to bring up The True Scotsman Fallacy. This doesn't really favor entirely one case or the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Most groups tend to distance themselves by this assertion.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Canyonero
Canyonero
June 13th, 2016 at 3:31:53 PM permalink

Which of those 2 groups makes it a point in modern time, almost every piece of literature and violent act of terror that it's directly aimed at the American people and government? To destroy our way of life?

None of the two. Crazy people do.

You create "groups" in your mind to see what you want to see.
Canyonero
Canyonero
June 13th, 2016 at 3:36:02 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

No true Scotsman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the practice of wearing a kilt without undergarments, see True Scotsman.

[Sorry, but this was just too funny to pass up.]
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 13th, 2016 at 3:45:32 PM permalink

The vast majority of radical Muslim terror attacks do not occur in America or have anything to do with America...
ams288
ams288
June 13th, 2016 at 4:30:25 PM permalink
Apparently the terrorist was a regular at that nightclub for more than three years.

And he may have even had profiles on some gay dating apps.

Wouldn't surprise me at all... his sexuality - or his confusion over his sexuality - coming into direct conflict with his stupid medieval religious beliefs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the most virulent homophobes are often the guys who are deeply closeted and being torn apart from the inside over their sexuality. Similar to all the politicians who peddle bigotry and homophobic laws and then get caught with their pants down in the airport restroom, or on gay apps, or in gay bars, etc.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 13th, 2016 at 4:49:12 PM permalink

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the most virulent homophobes are often the guys who are deeply closeted and being torn apart from the inside over their sexuality. Similar to all the politicians who peddle bigotry and homophobic laws and then get caught with their pants down in the airport restroom, or on gay apps, or in gay bars, etc.

Larry Craig springs to mind as the perfect example.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
June 13th, 2016 at 5:26:14 PM permalink
Or George Rekers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Alan_Rekers
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
June 13th, 2016 at 6:58:36 PM permalink

There's plenty of historical records of genocide in the name of Christianity throughout the centuries, from the dark ages to Easter Island missionaries into American Indians....Religion is still the leading killer through the ages.
All religions.

I agree.

But, its not the 1600s anymore.

In 2016 Islam is the biggest threat to Secular Western Values.
RonC
RonC
June 13th, 2016 at 7:16:17 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

I agree.

But, its not the 1600s anymore.

In 2016 Islam is the biggest threat to Secular Western Values.

I don't understand why people always want to find the "they did it, too" in times like these.

Right freaking now, Radical Islamic Terrorists are at war with our way of life. They are attacking people across the world that don't agree with them and killing them. It is an organized movement, a portion of which our President declared to be the "JV" as if it was some damned football game. This ain't Friday night in Texas, where every only thinks it is a war...this is real life and those 100+ people shot in Orlando are real people attacked by someone who believes ALL of us must die for not believing as he does. All the other crap about what Christians or Agnostics or Atheists or anyone else did is not relevant to this battle that must be fought and won.

I'm not excusing other bad actors, but spending all this energy trying to find other wrongs is counterproductive to what we must fight now.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 13th, 2016 at 8:02:35 PM permalink

None of the two. Crazy people do. You create "groups" in your mind to see what you want to see.

Some people just refuse to hear the threats from entities like ISIS and the Supreme Ruler of Iran, at least until blood is shed in their backyard.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 13th, 2016 at 8:24:43 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

The vast majority of radical Muslim terror attacks do not occur in America or have anything to do with America...

Not yet, but increasingly so. It is painfully clear that they see weakness in both the population and the leadership.
rxwine
rxwine
June 13th, 2016 at 8:40:40 PM permalink

Not yet, but increasingly so. It is painfully clear that they see weakness in both the population and the leadership.

I can't imagine anyone on the other side thinking they are winning. A successful attack once in awhile is not winning.

The only reason we aren't killing 50 terrorists a day is they don't congregate so much, and has nothing to do with their strength or ability to threaten us.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
June 13th, 2016 at 8:40:41 PM permalink

I can't imagine anyone on the other side thinking they are winning. A successful attack once in awhile is not winning.

The only reason we aren't killing 50 terrorists a day is they don't congregate so much, and has nothing to do with their strength or ability to threaten us.
  • Jump to: