Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 14th, 2010 at 3:27:25 AM permalink
Send me an email at roulette202 "at" yahoo.com, I want to ask you something.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1494
August 14th, 2010 at 8:05:02 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Send me an email at roulette202 "at" yahoo.com, I want to ask you something.

I took the liberty of editing your comment to take out the @, and put in the "at." Spam bots troll the web looking for any e-mail address to add to their lists. Never put one up without obfuscating it somehow.

Before somebody asks, person to person message is hopefully coming soon.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 14th, 2010 at 9:55:39 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I took the liberty of editing your comment to take out the ampersand, and put in the "at."

Hijacking the thread, I have a truly picky comment that leads to a trivia question I would like to know the answer to.

Comment: An ampersand is &. I believe the Wizard actually replaced the @.

Trivia question: Most folks I know call @ the 'at' symbol. Seems there must be a better name than that. What is the proper name for this, something equivalent to ampersand?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1494
August 14th, 2010 at 10:04:45 AM permalink
Oops. You're right I meant the "at" symbol, which I think is the correct name.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign/.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 14th, 2010 at 10:23:08 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Trivia question: Most folks I know call @ the 'at' symbol. Seems there must be a better name than that. What is the proper name for this, something equivalent to ampersand?

In Spanish it's called "arroba"

Before the Internet became popular, I called it "the each symbol." I recall seeing signs at stores like "Widgets $5.99@"
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 14th, 2010 at 10:23:35 AM permalink
Some people call & the "and" symbol, even though we have the perfectly good name "ampersand". I thought there might be a similarly good name for @.

Thanks for the wiki link. I liked the various names they say are used for @ in different languages/cultures, such as monkey tail, Strudel, little mouse, trunk a, ....
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
August 14th, 2010 at 1:25:46 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Hijacking the thread, I have a truly picky comment that leads to a trivia question I would like to know the answer to.

Comment: An ampersand is &. I believe the Wizard actually replaced the @.

In 1864, General Sherman used the symbol to represent how his troops (the outer, almost complete circle) were encircling General Hood's troops (the inner circle). Aides who copied his maps thus started calling the symbol the "'At'lanta".

Bavarian bakers in secret rebellion against Hitler made pretzels that looked like the @, only without the outer gap; you secretly showed your loyalty to the resistance by taking a bite out of the pretzel at the appropriate spot.

MezoAmerican Indian tribes used the @l@l as a weapon.

In January 1987, the mistaken substitution of "@" for "at" in the software program of the main computer at NORAD came within twenty seconds of causing the nuclear annihilation of Cincinnati, Tallahassee, and Medicine Hat, Alberta.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: