JohnCena
  • Threads: 1
August 1st, 2015 at 5:09:37 AM permalink
Anyone going to Summerslam this year?
JohnCena
JohnCena
August 3rd, 2015 at 1:49:27 PM permalink
No WWE fans? dam wish I could go to Summerslam!
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 3rd, 2015 at 4:38:23 PM permalink
I watched a lot of WWF/WWE back in the days of "The Rock" and others--we even attended Wrestlemania 956 in Houston along with a "Smackdown" taping. My son and his friends were into it and it was an enjoyable thing that kind of took me back to watching wrestling in the 70's...but not quite all the way back.

The product just doesn't appeal to me at this point. There is no "Kayfabe" and everyone is "Smart" now on purpose. The performers don't compel me to watch them. They bore me when the get on the mic and talk way too much. Matches feel short and talking seems long. Plus I never can get over TV commercials in the middle of a match on "live" TV.

I enjoyed "Championship Wrestling from Florida" and the commentary of Gordon Solie back in the day. I liked long matches with lots of momentum shifts; some of my favorites were one hour "Broadways" or whatever they call them. Jack Brisco was a particular favorite; we snagged tickets to his first world title defense and rode on a couch in the back of my dad's pickup to get the gang of six or so of us there. I "held" the Florida Heavyweight Championship when I was 16. We'd get seats in the front row and heckle the bad guys.

I met some wrestlers when I was working the timekeeping (the promoter let me in for free to do the bell and timekeeping); the bad guys were funnier and nicer than the good guys.

(Okay...I "held" the belt for a match being contested in the ring. The ref handed it to me before starting the match and then yelled at me for giving it to the winner (who was on the floor next to me) and not back to him. I also let a match go a minute longer than the time limit to see if my guy could win. Now I realize that they listened to my timing and played off it...I had zero impact...)
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
August 3rd, 2015 at 6:04:00 PM permalink
My fav's were Razor Ramon, Edge.
JohnCena
JohnCena
August 5th, 2015 at 3:15:31 PM permalink
Ronc,

That is awesome!!!!! I stil haven't gone to any Wrestlemanias yet. I really want to go to Summerslam but can't unfortunately go. I agree that wrestling today isn't as good. As much as I like WWE it's not as good as when I first became a bbig fan. I'm not old enough to remember wrestling back in the 70s but I wish I coud have gone to some matches back then. Those guys used to kick ass!!!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 5th, 2015 at 5:28:23 PM permalink
The managers from years ago were more entertaining than a lot of the wrestlers. Classy Freddie Blassie was a favorite. Couldn't wait to hear him call someone a pencil neck geek. Very funny.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 5th, 2015 at 6:03:38 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

The managers from years ago were more entertaining than a lot of the wrestlers. Classy Freddie Blassie was a favorite. Couldn't wait to hear him call someone a pencil neck geek. Very funny.

The WWE as far as I'm concerned was only good in the mid to late 80s and great in the late 90s...

And that's the bottom line, cuz I said so!!
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 5th, 2015 at 11:02:18 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

The WWE as far as I'm concerned was only good in the mid to late 80s and great in the late 90s...

And that's the bottom line, cuz I said so!!

When it was the WWF.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 6th, 2015 at 6:20:49 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

When it was the WWF.

Or before it went public on the stock market.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 8th, 2015 at 8:27:56 AM permalink
For a while there, I watched wrestling
What 1st caught my eye were the Iron Sheik vs Sgt. Slaughter.
Pretty bloody and entertaining.
Started to get into it a bit, pretty funny characters
Junk Yard Dog,
Paul Orndorf, Mr Wonderful
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Jesse the Body Ventura
Andre the Giant
Greg the Hammer Valentine

These were my favorites.

I remember the 1st wretlemania, it was totally outrageous with MR T and Cindy Lauper. It was a hoot. Great entertainment.

Then I watched the John Stossel expose.
How they constantly cut their own forehead to get the blood flowing. I was pretty shocked.
Then to see John Stossel eardrum popped by an angry wrestler on purpose.
Hulk Hogan knocking out Richard Belzer was also pretty shocking to me.
Always liked Richard Belzer, knocking him out was so unnecessary
I just got totally turned off.
Stopped watching.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 8th, 2015 at 8:54:52 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

...Then I watched the John Stossel expose.
How they constantly cut their own forehead to get the blood flowing. I was pretty shocked.
Then to see John Stossel eardrum popped by an angry wrestler on purpose.
Hulk Hogan knocking out Richard Belzer was also pretty shocking to me.
Always liked Richard Belzer, knocking him out was so unnecessary
I just got totally turned off.
Stopped watching.

"Works"
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 8th, 2015 at 8:58:27 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

For a while there, I watched wrestling
What 1st caught my eye were the Iron Sheik vs Sgt. Slaughter.
Pretty bloody and entertaining.
Started to get into it a bit, pretty funny characters
Junk Yard Dog,
Paul Orndorf, Mr Wonderful
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Jesse the Body Ventura
Andre the Giant
Greg the Hammer Valentine

These were my favorites.

What, no love for Koko B. Ware? :)

Quote:

I remember the 1st wretlemania, it was totally outrageous with MR T and Cindy Lauper. It was a hoot. Great entertainment.

I remember wanting to see Wrestlemania so bad, but there was no way was my Dad going to pay for the PPV! I had to hear about it the next day at school from my friends that did get to see it. :P

But, yeah, I lost interest in pro wrestling by the early 90's. I still will watch a match if I come across one flipping channels. It's still a spectacle, and I do appreciate the moves/acrobatics in the ring. But I have no interest in story lines or extra-curriculars outside the ring.

On a heavier note, I saw that Roddy Piper past away a few weeks ago. Say what you want about pro wrestling, but it seems to take a toll on the bodies of wrestelers, and they end up sacrificing years from the end of their lives to entertain us. So many die so young.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
  • Jump to: