petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
July 4th, 2015 at 10:32:46 AM permalink
What is so great about the 4th of July that all government workers get the day off paid, even if they have to take it on another day, and everyone else gets to pay for it?

Wouldn't it be more politically correct if we just removed all symbols of past sacrifice just as was done with the confederate flag?

Those who control the past, control the future.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 179
July 4th, 2015 at 10:40:37 AM permalink
I can't think of a more inappropriate post on such a day. :( The only thing that makes it even a little bit fitting is that we have the freedom to question and discuss thing at even the most inappropriate time. For that I celebrate. :)
Just say no to 6:5 Blackjack, Continuous shuffle machines and Blackjack the Forum. All are Negative expected value.
Boz
Boz 
  • Threads: 153
July 4th, 2015 at 11:03:34 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

What is so great about the 4th of July that all government workers get the day off paid, even if they have to take it on another day, and everyone else gets to pay for it?

Wouldn't it be more politically correct if we just removed all symbols of past sacrifice just as was done with the confederate flag?

I like your thought process. Regardless of the day, good discussion knows no Holiday. Thanks for your thoughts!
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 4th, 2015 at 12:08:55 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I can't think of a more inappropriate post on such a day. :( The only thing that makes it even a little bit fitting is that we have the freedom to question and discuss thing at even the most inappropriate time. For that I celebrate. :)

And only if it is politically correct.

Southern man, not so much.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 27
July 4th, 2015 at 12:17:24 PM permalink

You do realize today is Saturday?
"Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess. -Thomas Paine
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 4th, 2015 at 12:27:21 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

You do realize today is Saturday?

I appreciate your service

The gov. around here has been "off" most of the week, due to today being "the 4th"
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 4th, 2015 at 12:34:19 PM permalink
There was some politician "stumping" here a few years ago, giving out flag buttons on Independence day, I took one and found the stamp on it which said Made in China and asked her about it.

Didn't faze her a bit.

Next part of her speech was how she supported American workers. People lapping it up without thinking?
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 27
July 4th, 2015 at 12:44:32 PM permalink

I appreciate your service

The gov. around here has been "off" most of the week, due to today being "the 4th"

I don't know where you live, but here everything (locally anyway, I have no clue about federal government) everything has been running all week. But I live in a tourist town (Ocean City) where this is probably the most profitable weekend (or pretty close to it) of the year for the City, so they want to make sure all of their revenue is still coming in, so the idea of everything being shut down for 4th of July here would be unheard of, in fact probably more local people are working because it gets so busy and crazy and the city gets flooded with people.

But I have no problem with some people having Friday or Monday off this weekend. I would argue that the 4th of July is the most important holiday in America (I am not religious so I don't care about religious holidays), if there is any holiday worthy of having a day off for, its this one.
"Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess. -Thomas Paine
petroglyph
petroglyph
July 4th, 2015 at 12:55:30 PM permalink
They can have the week off. Take the month off.

But the productive class shouldn't have their [the gov. employees] pay extracted from the fruit of their [the producers] labor, plus benefits.

And that is why I predict Walker is the #1 contender, "in a middle weight crowd"

Are you saying all the fed, state any muni workers don't get a paid holiday due to the 4th of July? Really?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
July 4th, 2015 at 12:58:33 PM permalink

Libertarians should appreciate that as part of their effort for less government. More officials should be given more time off. And eventually . . .

• Jump to: